Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Loyal, let's see how our rickety old space wreck can beat a living god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

i've completely missed how heady and lost i am in the writing. Betray! let's get owned for once

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Betray. We can always claim that we gave our all and Pluto was just too OP. No one will know. (Except us and her, and she doesn't seem to be the blabbing kind.)

Besides, we already know that the prototype is gone, so the stakes of losing are low.

mr_stibbons
Aug 18, 2019
Betray

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Loyal. It's been some time since Luna-T saw Pluto, let's not make this reunion a disappointment by not giving our all.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Sindai posted:

Loyal, let's see how our rickety old space wreck can beat a living god.

Loyal for the same reason. Young pups don't deserve to win with their new overpowered arsenals.

Jefepato
Mar 11, 2009

This?! This is a glorious dance! That has been passed down! In my family for generations!
Loyal. I think loyalty sounds like the best path for a first run through the game. (And also Luna-Terra somehow winning this fight sounds awesome.)

Although I am a bit curious -- do the "betray" options mean your pilot is deliberately betraying her faction in-story, or is it only a betrayal from the player's perspective (i.e. "this is the option that's bad for your faction")?

While Luna-Terra is obviously not a paragon of loyalty, the two betrayal options we've seen so far didn't really sound like deliberate betrayals. I wouldn't describe throwing a fight as "getting owned" or "getting schooled."

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Jefepato posted:

Loyal. I think loyalty sounds like the best path for a first run through the game. (And also Luna-Terra somehow winning this fight sounds awesome.)

Although I am a bit curious -- do the "betray" options mean your pilot is deliberately betraying her faction in-story, or is it only a betrayal from the player's perspective (i.e. "this is the option that's bad for your faction")?

While Luna-Terra is obviously not a paragon of loyalty, the two betrayal options we've seen so far didn't really sound like deliberate betrayals. I wouldn't describe throwing a fight as "getting owned" or "getting schooled."
Yeah, I should have been clearer about that. It's from the player's perspective early on. Perhaps a subtle, subconscious betrayal on the pilot's part, but not them actively trying to get their faction to lose. Of course, later in the game, that might change.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Loyal. I wanna see the engineers' faces when a rickety old mech manages to beat a snazzy new state-of-the-art superfortress. Kinda like a Zaku I beating a Sazabi or something.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Betray

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Loyal

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Not a vote because I love all of the scenes enough that I can't possibly choose one. But thanks for doing a SSLP of a game that's very important to me. As you can likely tell, it's one of my favorites.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
EPISODE TWO CONCLUSION

The vote has concluded. Memorial Foundation will be the winner of this engagement.

"..."

"Oh, right, you never wanna make the first move."

"Then I can go-"

Even still, maybe there aren't any winning moves. Luna-Terra has to be ready for that possibility. The Krun Macula is a very impossible sort of machine. Almost as impossible as Pluto.

Krun Macula can grind spacetime to a crawl with its tidal forces. Krun Macula can pull ambient matter into a whirl with enough friction for the combustion to give birth to a star.

Luna-Terra isn't where Pluto is expecting, and then there's suddenly a hail of bullets in her skull.

"Is this body so me that you finally aren't going to be weird about fighting it?"

Luna-Terra thinks Pluto could use a lesson in how terrifying actual combat can be, but is there anyone terrifying enough to teach it to her?

"Are you trying to hide from me?"

"I've been waiting for a real fight!"

"I'm tired of you telling me you think I'm right."

"If you really thought that, you'd be here, on my side."

"So prove I'm wrong already."

"Or admit defeat!"

And that whirl will become a star, washing the Mare Crisium in heat and light and radiation.

(Some have wondered how a tiny toy soldier could possibly defeat a living god.)

It's not enough, but it hurts. It's serious. The brittle spear is of a cold and rational metal that repels cosmic concepts.

(The answer is, of course, with hard steel.)

But she can move more than Pluto can, at least for long enough to get away.

"Now I know why everyone hates you so much. You're no fun to fight with at all!"

"Haha. Are you kidding. Like you fight fair."

"Now that I know what you're really like, I'm not going to accept anything less."

"I don't want to do that again."

"Well, too bad. Whose fault is that?"

"Yeah."

"I know."

--

Mission complete. Maybe not a complete victory, but we escaped from a terrifying superweapon in her giant robot, and lived to fight another day.

Already we can see the gravitational effects of our choices. Stay tuned for the start of Episode Three!

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
LUNA-TERRA, EPISODE THREE: "I'm plenty incompetent."/400MM KISS

Like I said, we’ve lived to fight another day. The third day, to be exact.

-

-

-

Since both of our previously assigned missions are done, there's a new report cutscene to introduce the new ones.

"Ready for Gravitational catapult. Prepare launch to inner solar system."

Might as well read our comms and email while on our way. It's a long way to the inner solar system, as we draw ever closer to our ultimate goal, the gravity well of the Moon.

(The experiment in formatting it like a chat isn't really working. It looks different in each place I put it, so I'm just going to go to a more normal format.)

quote:

Much, much more. I forgot what it was like to work this hard.

I'm rusty.

Are you unhappy with your progress?

I don't know.

Are you unhappy?

I don't know.

It's always been very hard to tell, with you. Though I'm not sure if I can answer that question better than you.

I've known you since you were freshly assigned to the first pilot wave.

You were so delicate.

And you've only become more delicate, even as you've become stronger.

I didn't think you'd describe me back then as 'delicate.'

I saw it very clearly, though the other executives thought you were a scrappy pain in the butt.

You were just scared.

There's no point--there's no point in pretending otherwise, you just see through it.

I guess I haven't changed as much as I thought.

Long ago, I saw a strong and delicate girl.

I have worked hard to make you more and more of that. Rather than simply cultivating your strengths, understanding your weaknesses is needed to grow.

Let me ask you again, and this time, focus. Count backwards from twenty. Remember a moment of comfort.

I'll wait.

Are you happy, or unhappy?

I don't know...

...because I feel like I'm on the cusp of something.

It's frightening. Yet, it could be something amazing.

That's a real feeling.

Good girl.

Ahaha, are you blushing?

"H: Nothing happened.

We're using an instrument to measure something that is very very small. But moving it even so little that you cannot see it would be very important.

H: How do I do that?

You should not think about it. Just do it.

H: I can't.

I know you can.

H: I can't.

...your aunt and your sister. Could easily do as much. So you can do as much too.

H: Oh. It moved.

Did you get that? Yes, I saw it move. Literally saw it--contact the director immediately."

Jeez, are all of Luna-Terra's exes psychics?

So, Memorial Foundation has done well so far. Now it's time to see if the pattern will hold.

I'm going to do 400MM KISS first, because it's been a while since we've seen Saturn. Wonder what she's been up to.

>LAUNCH

"Command is worried the Celestial Mechanics unit might try to escape while the fleet is launching, using the cityscape as cover."

"Then they've just given up on catching them on Ares, if their only hope is them being that stupid."

"It's a ruined husk, and even Cradle's Graces isn't clinging to it, like they cling to even the faintest sign of life on Mars..."

"Excuse me, Ares."

"Well, it's boring, pointless work that no one wants to do, and it's gotta make me wonder if someone's actually mad at me."

"You let the prototype escape, Luna-Terra, and the most generous assumption is incompetence, which from you they have a hard time buying."

"They should know that by now."

"You are only incompetent in the ways you wish to be."

"That's an awfully profound way to call me lazy."

"If you were simply lazy, you wouldn't go out of your way to find so much trouble to get in."

"And that's the reason why this assignment is so disastrous as a punishment."

"Boring you is dangerous."

"I learned that very early on in your career."

"There's no way to make you sit still."

"Oh? Maybe I'll try it this time."

"There's this good sniper spot with a view of the whole city."

"I won't move from there."

"Why does it sound less like you are promising to behave..."

"And more like you're going to brag about how much trouble you can get in without even moving."

"Either way, they're sure to put me back on the front, right?"

The decision point is pretty early on in this mission! Not much context for the choice, I know, but that kind of makes sense because it would be a surprise encounter for both of them. So what's it going to be? Continue Memorial Foundation's (and Luna-Terra's?) victory march, or have them suffer a setback? Betray (point-blank encounter) or stay Loyal (no-scope)?

Orbs fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 21, 2019

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Loyal. :sicknasty:

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

They are weird and troubling. We owe it to our neighbors to kill them.
Pillbug
We already know Luna-T's good at sniping. Let's find out what she's bad at.
I vote betray.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Loyal just because I like the idea of LT's obsolete junk mecha repeatedly owning way more advanced gimmick craft.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Noscope 360 headshot

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
As much as the idea of a leet noscope 2160 headshot appeals, I'll vote Betray this time.

mr_stibbons
Aug 18, 2019
Why are we taking orders from these jerks again?

Betray

Enemy Input
Feb 26, 2014
These people need hugs, not bullets,
I vote Betray

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Close combat's just cooler

Betray

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Betray!

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

betray
Earth is not that gravitationally attractive.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

betray - Free Mars.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Loyal

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Jefepato posted:

I wouldn't describe throwing a fight as "getting owned" or "getting schooled."

My friend, intentionally seeking out opportunities to get dunked on by hot girls is like 93% of being a lesbian. They are absolutely losing on purpose.

Speaking of, betray.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Loyal - might as well stick one way and see where it goes to start, right?

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Huh. Roadside Picnic?

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Fish Noise posted:

Huh. Roadside Picnic?
Probably! The writer has said she read a lot about the space race of the 50s-70s for this game, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if that included some fiction of the era too.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
EPISODE THREE CONCLUSION

Time for a close encounter.

She does. Saturn is as good as already down.

But so is Luna-Terra.

Luna-Terra wakes up first, but her flight unit is shot. It's hard to hide a ship that can't fly in a city, but the Mare Crisium is full of unfair tricks. Shooting her down is just the beginning; you have to catch her next.

That's alright with Saturn. She's at her best when everyone is in the dirt. When she wakes up, she's ready. She might be in worse shape than Luna-Terra, but worst shape is her best.

String of Pearls skirts along the half-constructed city with the shape of ruins and the pristine finish of plastic toys still in their boxes. Looking for the hole Luna-Terra's nestled in, and dodging her shots of protest.

"Hey, hey, come out, come out, come ooooooout, you almost got me the last time you poked your head out to shoot! Try again!"

"Aw come on, I'm not babbling to trick you or anything. I'm just having a great time here."

"I'd love it if you'd stop making me feel like I'm just talking to myself."

"What, this isn't exciting enough? I guess that's why you're the ace pilot, LT. I need to have you on the ropes to taunt you and dodge at the same time."

An ear-splitting crash; impossible to tell which direction the shot came from. The cover around Saturn explodes.

"I'm an ace because I keep my priorities straight."

"That's not what I've heard."

(Right? No one in this game ever keeps anything straight.)

"What have you heard?"

"That keeping your priorities straight is the thing that you're the worst at. That it is pretty much your most obvious weak point."

"Maybe they don't know what my priorities are."

"Is getting shot down by an idiot with no combat experience high on your priority list?"

The building next to Saturn explodes.

"...You really are a brat."

"Is getting harassed constantly by flirtatious brats high on your priority list?"

"You're really on your toes today."

"I can't hit you with anything."

"Yeah, I'm having fun too."

"What a mess, ahahaha. I don't know why I'm laughing about it. Or having so much fun."

"I'm glad you think so!"

"It's a funny kind of date, if you put it that way.

"If this fighting is just play fighting, then keep playing with me!"

"I've got so many plans for dragging you out in the sun."

"Like what? Are they working on me?"

"Of course. Stop underestimating me. I'm executing several plans as we speak. You're not at all ready, Luna-Terra. I'm not giving you any way out."

"You're not going to at least give me a hint? I'm at a disadvantage here."

"You can't trick me into giving it all away. But maybe you're right. Maybe I should be generous and let you know just a hint. About one plan."

"You're generous."

"You should know this, but winning isn't my highest priority."

"It won't mean that I'm easy though."

"If you love winning, the stalemate of this whole conflict should bore you to tears."

"All that's left in space are second choice pilots, who suck at things like winning, no matter how good they are."

"I'm the second choice, but I'm the pilot that's here right now, and no one else would have thought of the plan I did."

"Oh? I'm a second choice too. Or I wouldn't be here. It's that great a plan?"

"Really? You? Oh, it's not a good plan, it's just that no one else would do it, because I'd have to be a freak to try to catch you on foot."

"A first choice would never be sent to space in the first place. That does sound like a crazy plan to me."

"What would you even do if you found me, assuming I'm standing still?"

"I know it sounds like I'm showing off but I couldn't beat you in a fair fight, so anything else is in my favor, right?"

"Maybe it's the only way around that ghost ship of yours, and how much of a genius you are. I can track any ship that I've hit once."

"You're right. Ha. But you haven't used them."

"Maybe not."

"Also, did you know that your Mare Crisium has a manual bypass for opening the cockpit."

"Yes."

"Oh good. But I'll knock anyway."

The gentle hiss of pressure, and the cockpit opens.

Saturn: "You look a little different. Not nearly so smug."

Luna-Terra: "And you look a lot different. I remember you now. You were such a good girl, I never would have thought that was you."

Saturn: "You're smiling, Luna-Terra. Did something good just happen?"

Luna-Terra: "You must really trust me to come unarmed."

Saturn: "Why would I need to be. I win! I'd say I'm pretty dangerous just like this."

Luna-Terra: "You think of everything."

Saturn: "Never mind, you do look infuriatingly smug, for someone I just beat. Step away from the controls."

Luna-Terra: "I'm the Memorial Foundation Ace, but just by default. After the good ones left."

Luna-Terra: "So I don't mind losing to you. Since you think I'm so cool."

Luna-Terra kneels by the controls, hands up. They're still in reach. Saturn climbs the open hatch.

Saturn: "No sudden movements. And I don't think you're cool."

Luna-Terra: "What do you want now? My ship? Me? They're both useless."

Saturn: "I'll decide that."

Saturn: "I don't need your ship out of commission. I'm going to be much cooler than you very soon, and then I'll beat you sort of fair and square, but maybe I should reprogram this ship to be absolutely sure--"

Luna-Terra: "Sorry. But touching there isn't allowed."

Saturn: "Hmm."

Saturn: "So."

Luna-Terra: "You are absolutely more dangerous without a gun."

Luna-Terra: "That's fine."

Saturn: "What about here?"

Luna-Terra: "I won't stop you."

Luna-Terra: "Some places on the ship are fine. Some places on me are fine. Which do you want to know right now?"

Saturn: "Is this--drat it--"

Luna-Terra: "So how's unbuttoning my shirt going? It's harder than it looks at that angle with just one hand, huh."

Saturn: "Just make out with me you heinous bitch--"

That thought is a little surprising, but her body made the right call, in the moments in-between when she was too busy overthinking it.

Saturn seems a little mad about that smug face Luna-Terra is making, and bites Luna-Terra's lip as they kiss. It doesn't encourage Luna-Terra to stop being like that.

Saturn: "Are you kidding, what could possibly be a better use of your time? Don't tell me duty is why you're fighting out here, or you would have stopped me before I opened the hatch."

Luna-Terra: "You're not just here for fun. You're not doing this just because there's no point and you're killing time before the war collapses one way or another."

Saturn: "Obviously! I can be sure and still make out with you."

Saturn: "Would it disappoint you if I wasn't? Oh, don't make that face, I can tell it would."

Saturn: "That's good though. I feel the same way. I wouldn't have let you flirt if that's just all you were."

Luna-Terra: "How can you be sure?"

Saturn: "Looks like I know something you don't."

Saturn: "Even if it's just one thing."

Luna-Terra: "I'm always the last to know."

Saturn: "You always make it seem like you know what you're doing."

Luna-Terra: "I'm just acting on instinct. My body knows what to do."

Saturn: "Then you should be asking her."

Not all missions, all choices, have the same gravity.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
LUNA-TERRA, EPISODE FOUR - "Keep your friends close, and your exes closer."/Rift in the earth

It’s the fourth day, and another encounter with Cradle’s Graces awaits. As do more emails and comms.

quote:

How do you really feel about me coming back to Memorial Foundation?

You were a loyal and efficient ace pilot for Memorial Foundation for the entire cold war, against our alien and ultimately irrelevant Existential Threat from beyond the system.

Then you were perfectly loyal to the pilots left adrift by the decommissioning of the pilot program and colonization project.

Now you're perfectly loyal to Memorial Foundation again. You haven't betrayed our side at all.

That's a generous reading.

You've betrayed plenty of lovestruck pilots, but your political loyalty is impeccable.

So even if Halimede doesn't trust or forgive you, I welcome your return.

That's not going to be a problem? That she doesn't?

Oh, she welcomes your return the most, but keep on your toes.

That one, I don't have any questions about.

Keep your friends close, and your exes closer.

Except, if you're not still suspicious of me for betraying Memorial Foundation, how about her?

Oh, that I'll be mad at both of you about for a very long time.

Please don't worry about it, however, as you've both made each other suffer more than enough to make up for your youthful indiscretions.

Honestly, the two of you hooking up to somehow get at me was the most hilarious part, as you ended up punishing each other more than I ever could have.

Can we talk politics again.

I think I get the picture already.

That's not to say that the two of you don't still have a lot of lessons left to learn from the experience.

Once I'm sure you've learned them, your punishment will be over.

"-it's kind of romantic, right?

Maybe it's kind of fake though."

We’ll find out more about Mars the person later, particularly in Pluto’s route.

For now, it’s time for the next mission.

>LAUNCH

--

"Really? I thought they were very insistent about this mission. And it's a good idea, so I thought I'd do it."

"The new orders are 'Cradle's Graces' superweapon has contacted the base already. Send anyone except for Luna-Terra there immediately.'"

"Ah, I see. Well, prep the Mare Crisium for launch."

"Luna-Terra, even I have to say something if you disobey an order right in front of my face."

"But you don't disagree? Or you'd just stop me, instead of saying something."

"A certain degree of questioning orders from the top is allowed."

"Given who's in charge, obviously."

"Halimede is just a foolish princess."

"If Cradle's Graces is using that new weapon, that's all the more reason not to send randos who wouldn't stand a chance against it."

"You fundamentally misunderstand Memorial Foundation, Luna-Terra."

"Halimede leads the recovery effort because no one else is fit."

"Naive, one-sided, and un-self-aware love."

"Nevertheless, that is exactly the love that is required."

"It's for us to interpret that fundamental impulse in a way that will ensure strategic advantage, so I will ask you: does love motivate your actions?"

"Or are you just that eager to find someone to shatter you into orbit?"

"Your connection with that pilot, and don't think I don't know about it, or who she is: which is it? Guilt or love?"

"...Will you let me go if I say I need to see her to know?"

"I would advise against it."

"Her love might be stronger than ours."

"That's possible."

"All the more reason you shouldn't get near it."

"Well, let me take that risk."

I was very glad for the tl;dr of the choices here, when I first went through. It will make sense in retrospect though.

Orbs fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 21, 2019

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Make up and forget

mr_stibbons
Aug 18, 2019
Fight until we forgive each other

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Fight until we forgive each other

risky business
Oct 9, 2012

Barns?
Fight until we forgive each other. What other language do we all speak, after all?

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Make up and forget

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Fight until we forgive each other!

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

They are weird and troubling. We owe it to our neighbors to kill them.
Pillbug
I love both these outcomes. I can't decide, so my vote's for OP's choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Fight until we forgive each other.