Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'm in Philadelphia where we have the best Vietnamese food on the east coast and you definitely gotta have good slaw and you definitely have to have good bread. The institution here in South Philly is Ba Le and they're an institution because they make their own bread and it's good. Also they use fresh jalapenos and fresh cilantro. Straight out of the garden! I always tell tourists to go to Ba Le because they're amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

drat, wish I had known that when I was in Philly last year, I was hyperfocused on the City's Sandwhich of choice of course.

And yeah, this place had a soft piece for their bread, not the crusty, crumbly outside, with the almost gooey interior of a proper fresh baked French number one would expect of a good Vietnamese sammich.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Yeah we've got the one sandwich if you're here for the weekend, but we've also got scrapple on a long roll, the corned beef special, porchetta, the nigerian hoagie, the fishcake hot dog, the florida style inside out, and better Vietnamese food than even NYC, which includes the banh mi.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

There's a Ba Le in Vancouver that also does the whole fresh bread and jalapenos and whatnot. I always get too much and want to peacefully drift off into a food coma. My mouth gets hella cut up from the bread tho. A+ sandwich.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

banh mi more like Jam, Please

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I should've used good cheese, but I felt like eating some terrible cheese today so I did. And I think next time I'll add some mustard as well.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

poo poo that reminds me of the delicious Christmas leftovers sandwich i made this year. ham, homemade cranberry sauce, some spanish cheese, on thin sliced challah. i should explore more fruit on savory sammies.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
The most important part of this sandwich is the cheese. Go to a big deli that has a good variety of cheeses, and get the strongest, longest aged, stinkiest (and probably most expensive) provolone you can find. Get roast beef. Get whatever bullshit from an olive/tapas bar you like. Kalamata olives, marinated mushrooms, teardrop peppers, pepperoncini, garlic stuffed green olives, whatever. Just get a little bit of each one you like. If any of them are too big to use as a sandwich topping, just slice them up.

On a Portuguese roll: roast beef, strong provolone, olive bar bullshit mix. Drizzle with sub oil, vinaigrette, or Italian dressing.

My mom used to make these when we were going to the beach or hiking. She calls them "old Italian man sandwiches" because after seeing several old Italian men order something like this at a deli/sub shop, she tried it and it's really good. And you should try it too.

Serve with a jar of lupini beans. These are kind of like edamame, they have a fibrous shell that you do not eat. Pop them out of their "shell" into your mouth and discard the husk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Tiggum posted:

I should've used good cheese, but I felt like eating some terrible cheese today so I did. And I think next time I'll add some mustard as well.

I hate u