Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

Everyone said it was Evangelion but I can't believe HOW MUCH it is Evangelion.

Thought it was rather telling that they have to remind you to use certain legions in the last mission (as you've probably just... not used them before except the rare instances where you need their powers).

i rotated through all of them in almost every fight but it mostly to maximize my score

Perfect Call+combo with Sword -> aim+headshots with Arrow -> Howl+Somersault combo with Beast -> switch to Axe and massacre whatever's left with change-ups as necessary

it's not like i didn't do this sort of thing in previous Platinum titles (i abused the hell out of the katana in Bayonetta) but almost every fight just felt like i was running down a checklist. maybe it was because of the scene-setting, like 75% of fights in this game take place in the land of computery building blocks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Oxxidation posted:

i rotated through all of them in almost every fight but it mostly to maximize my score

That was a comment on the section where Hal tells you "you'll have to use the BEAST legion to outrun this!" instead of letting you figure it out yourself.

Unless you used the dog running in most of your combat, in which case please tell me how it's useful. Maybe it's necessary on harder difficulties?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

That was a comment on the section where Hal tells you "you'll have to use the BEAST legion to outrun this!" instead of letting you figure it out yourself.

Unless you used the dog running in most of your combat, in which case please tell me how it's useful. Maybe it's necessary on harder difficulties?

Dog run dodges like everything. It's kind of hard to hit things from it yourself though, but you can just send the dog to attack while riding it and resume comboing from there.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 22, 2019

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

oh i hardly ever used that skill in battle, it was only really useful against the gusts of wind that the flying chimeras did sometimes

(those flyers were by far my least favorite enemy, they confused the camera so badly that i felt trapped in a malfunctioning merry-go-round)

what i meant to say in my last post was that every legion had some unique advantage in combat, though Arm gets eclipsed by Axe pretty quickly

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I just beat the level where I get the Beast Legion. I know there's some kind of skill/upgrade system for Legions, but am I actually able to access it yet? There are some menus I can access, but they I don't seem to be able to do anything on them. Is Legion maintenance just a flavor thing?

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009
Yes, in the legion section of your pause menu is the option for Legion Learning. That's where you spend Gene Codes to get nodes for +ATK, +DEF, skills and ability slots. Assign Skills is to assign two of the skills you learned from the former to each legion. Abilities is passive effects you find as drops and can equip to your legions. Each ability code will take 1-3 slots based on the potency of the base effect and may have up to two extra effects attached to it (which don't impact the slots used).

Oh, and you'll want to beeline for Perfect Call and its associated sync attack node on each legion's grid. This is your real dodge+counter option that doesn't make you eat poo poo against enemies that combo.

Yuwe fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Sep 23, 2019

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

lets hang out posted:

archer's dodge attack and perfect call can do huge damage if you get them in the back,

man, you didn't lie about those attacks having huge crit damage

are there any other undocumented extra sync attack effects in the game? i also noticed arrow's dodge and perfect call syncs apply slow on top of their huge crit damage, but i don't recall other legions having effects like that

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

a cartoon duck posted:

man, you didn't lie about those attacks having huge crit damage

are there any other undocumented extra sync attack effects in the game? i also noticed arrow's dodge and perfect call syncs apply slow on top of their huge crit damage, but i don't recall other legions having effects like that

Some of the Axe Legion's sync attacks imbed explosives in the ground or in enemies, but that's the only other one I can think of.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Alecks Le, Akira’s voice actor, submitted some art for Vinny’s stream.

https://clips.twitch.tv/GrotesqueRockyPandaSwiftRage

https://twitter.com/alekslevo/status/1176400072965160961?s=21

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

This might have been answered already. Does the game keep track of your best rank ever for each individual Red Case? If so, does that mean i can skip straight to the chapter i want to replay and try to get an S+ for the Red Case i want, not worry about getting a lower rank for other cases, and still get an S+ for the level overall?

Or do i have to get S+ for the level in a single run?

I noticed that skipping chapters in a level means you get less money once you finish the level, but it also kept the previous ranks for the cases i skipped.

DemoneeHo fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 27, 2019

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

DemoneeHo posted:

This might have been answered already. Does the game keep track of your best rank ever for each individual Red Case? If so, does that mean i can skip straight to the chapter i want to replay and try to get an S+ for the Red Case i want, not worry about getting a lower rank for other cases, and still get an S+ for the level overall?

Or do i have to get S+ for the level in a single run?

I noticed that skipping chapters in a level means you get less money once you finish the level, but it also kept the previous ranks for the cases i skipped?

It just records your best rank. You can focus on specific cases when going for rank.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So I beat File 11. Is there that much of a reason to keep playing this game? As in beating File 12 and what not?

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I beat File 11. Is there that much of a reason to keep playing this game? As in beating File 12 and what not?

File 12 is the epilogue. It also has a bunch of pure combat missions with some cosmetic rewards like costumes if you're inclined to do so.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

skaianDestiny posted:

File 12 is the epilogue. It also has a bunch of pure combat missions with some cosmetic rewards like costumes if you're inclined to do so.

They also quickly get harder than anything in the main game, if you're looking for that.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

one of the best reasons to play file 12 is to get to hear a lot more of the combat music. some of those tracks you barely get to hear at all during the story. like this one that only plays during one sidequest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk1MeqmcvCk

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Okay. I'll just sell this game then.

I found the game to be really good and it was LOT deeper than its initial impression. Platinum really did a lot with the unique limited control scheme.

That said the game just feels like a one and done. It doesn't feel like something that should be turned into a huge franchise despite the unique gameplay concept.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

Okay. I'll just sell this game then.

I found the game to be really good and it was LOT deeper than its initial impression. Platinum really did a lot with the unique limited control scheme.

That said the game just feels like a one and done. It doesn't feel like something that should be turned into a huge franchise despite the unique gameplay concept.

There's still plenty they could (and likely will, given its apparent success) do with it. There's still reclaiming the rest of the world, figuring out what is going on with the astral plane, and legions becoming more widespread leading to internal conflicts. They could drop the police procedural angle, but the investigation aspects wouldn't need to change. I think they've got a fine base to build from.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

If you're not doing a "NG+" run on Pt. Ultimate with the Lappy costume then why even get this game in the first place???

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

https://i.vgy.me/GQhrxS.webm

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I was very disappointed that the Lappy costume does not have the main character doing all their combat barks in a southern accent

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

When poo poo gets real, you send in a real good boy!

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Holy poo poo, I had to stop playing this after about an hour due to motion sickness. Hadn’t experienced anything like it since RE:7. Not sure if it is trying to rotate the chain while standing still but something set me off.

Anyone else experience anything like this? Saw a suggestion that said try backing farther away from the TV.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

check the options menu, I think there's an option to get rid of some of the camera flourishes

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Will do!

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
This game is a really weird mix of excellent and baffling design decisions. I cannot believe, in the Year of Our Lord 2019, I am still doing a forced stealth section in a video game. Come on, Platinum. You should know better than this. What's even more baffling is that they actually got it right earlier in the game by making the stealth optional, giving you a brute force option when you get caught and rightfully calling you a troglodyte moron if you take it. Tying your rank to successful stealth was perfect; tying progress to it is not. The first makes me aspire to perfect it, the second just makes me resent it.

The game is also really weirdly balanced when it comes to rankings. The vast majority of the game could care poo poo less about whether, or how much, you take damage. You can die and get an S+ as long as you have a revive and you get the right bonuses. And yet; there are exactly two cases b the game where clearing them without damage is the only way to get an S+, and they just so happen to be the two cases where that is the least reasonable thing to ask of you. File 09's motorcycle section is about four minutes long, and if you take so much as a scratch at any point, you might as well hit the home button, close the game, and load it up again (because that's the only way to reload since you can't pause during this section). This is especially obnoxious given that the final enemy is the one most likely to hit you, and has a laser cannon attack that, as far as I can tell, you actually literally cannot avoid in any way outside of killing him before he uses it, and the only way I've found to do that is to equip a bunch of slow attack on a legion and pray to RNGesus that you get enough freezes to finish him once the animation starts.

The Akira Fusion fight also requires no damage, which also seems unreasonable... at least, until you figure out that you can also do the ranged attack, and that yours can stunlock them. Press L. :ssh:

There are also a lot of weird little QoL things that just make no sense to me. Why, when you complete an Olive case, does the game put you on the loving roof, where there is absolutely nothing you can do, rather than the command room or the training room or literally any part of the police station that has a purpose? I know you just have to pull up the menu and warp, but it just seems like such an obvious thing. File 12 is literally entirely Olive's cases. Why does the game put me as far away from her as possible every time I finish one?

All that said, I am still having fun, and the experience overall was super satisfying. But some of the design in this game really has me scratching my head and wondering what the gently caress is going on at Platinum.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Dumb question: How do I get back to file 12? I went back to some earlier ones to get toilets and gold slimes, but I don't see it in the file select menu. Have I just missed something or do I need to beat the final boss again?

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

You have to back out of the chapter select menu, the same way you'd back out of any other menu. It took me a while to figure that out, so there's no shame in being confused by it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Baron Snow posted:

You have to back out of the chapter select menu, the same way you'd back out of any other menu. It took me a while to figure that out, so there's no shame in being confused by it.

Thanks, I hadn't even thought of doing that.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

chumbler posted:

There's still plenty they could (and likely will, given its apparent success) do with it. There's still reclaiming the rest of the world, figuring out what is going on with the astral plane, and legions becoming more widespread leading to internal conflicts. They could drop the police procedural angle, but the investigation aspects wouldn't need to change. I think they've got a fine base to build from.

So, this is kindof my beef with the game, because pretty much everything you said in spoiler tags is in place before the game even starts, so...what did we actually accomplish? We stopped Yoseph's plan to I guess merge everybody into the Astral Plane, but I feel like the plot doesn't really go anywhere. The only difference between the beginning and end of the game are that at the end Yoseph, kindof your dad, and Jena are all dead. The world is still ending, maybe, and we still have no idea what's actually going on with the astral plane. That may sound like sequel fodder but imo it just feels like an underdeveloped plot. The premise of the game seems to set up that the world is ending so we need to stop it, but then over the course of the game all you do is discover that someone is trying to end the world FASTER and you stop their plan. Yay?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Xad posted:

So, this is kindof my beef with the game, because pretty much everything you said in spoiler tags is in place before the game even starts, so...what did we actually accomplish? We stopped Yoseph's plan to I guess merge everybody into the Astral Plane, but I feel like the plot doesn't really go anywhere. The only difference between the beginning and end of the game are that at the end Yoseph, kindof your dad, and Jena are all dead. The world is still ending, maybe, and we still have no idea what's actually going on with the astral plane. That may sound like sequel fodder but imo it just feels like an underdeveloped plot. The premise of the game seems to set up that the world is ending so we need to stop it, but then over the course of the game all you do is discover that someone is trying to end the world FASTER and you stop their plan. Yay?

I think the implication is that Yoseph was subtly sabotaging the Legion project or heavily diverting resources from it to work on his own plans, which is why every officer in Neuron has a Legion after his death. There's mentions of the city being a hell of a lot more peaceful now, and humanity is actually sending out teams to slowly take back the rest of the planet, so the world's gotten slightly better at least

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
So apparently in the File 09 fight vs Jena, you can run back into Neuron HQ.

And she follows you.

https://twitter.com/Tmh2U/status/1185375114818478080
https://twitter.com/Tmh2U/status/1186301143074398213
https://twitter.com/Tmh2U/status/1185378653263355905

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Lol

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I really liked the gameplay, except for that mission where you carry boxes, I hope they do a sequel.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

What's Platinum up to these days anyway? Haven't heard anything of them since rear end Chain. I was really hoping for news on Bayonetta 3 in the latest Direct but welp

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

KonvexKonkav posted:

What's Platinum up to these days anyway? Haven't heard anything of them since rear end Chain. I was really hoping for news on Bayonetta 3 in the latest Direct but welp

From my understanding of circulating rumors, the issue with Bayonetta 3 was that it was gonna be made using a new engine that Platinum was developing, but that had some setback which delayed Bayonetta 3, and then there was the pandemic which also hurt development.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

they just trademarked the shmup they teased as their april fools joke last year like it's going to be a real thing

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I have very specific questions about File 04: I am trying to get S+ on all the missions because this game is very fun and I enjoy that you can get hit and still get a perfect rank on missions. Anyway, the guide I was reading was full of lies and told me that I could still get the “Just The Facts” bonus on the investigation mission if I got the two words from Carlos which was a lie!!! I only got an A on that mission! Luckily you can still do his side mission after you have completed the investigation in chapter 4 so clearly i need to go back and do chapter 2 of File 04 again. How would that work, if I only want to fix part of the File? I would have to complete chapter 2 again so that I only have the correct words, but then would I still need to do the Astral Plane section (chapter 3)? I got S+ on the red missions in chapter 2, if I go through ch 2 again will I have to get S+ on them again? If I get lower scores and then complete the chapter, will it overwrite my better scores?

Also can I stop a File partway through and then go back to File 12? I’d rather not play through the Mall section of File 04 now if I have to go back and fix earlier chapters.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I have very specific questions about File 04: I am trying to get S+ on all the missions because this game is very fun and I enjoy that you can get hit and still get a perfect rank on missions. Anyway, the guide I was reading was full of lies and told me that I could still get the “Just The Facts” bonus on the investigation mission if I got the two words from Carlos which was a lie!!! I only got an A on that mission! Luckily you can still do his side mission after you have completed the investigation in chapter 4 so clearly i need to go back and do chapter 2 of File 04 again. How would that work, if I only want to fix part of the File? I would have to complete chapter 2 again so that I only have the correct words, but then would I still need to do the Astral Plane section (chapter 3)? I got S+ on the red missions in chapter 2, if I go through ch 2 again will I have to get S+ on them again? If I get lower scores and then complete the chapter, will it overwrite my better scores?

Also can I stop a File partway through and then go back to File 12? I’d rather not play through the Mall section of File 04 now if I have to go back and fix earlier chapters.

You can literally just S rank that one file then quit out. So thankful for that!

This is the one where you have to find the perp hiding behind the bins? I think you just talk to him then run up and grab the guy to get the S rank right?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Alan_Shore posted:

You can literally just S rank that one file then quit out. So thankful for that!

This is the one where you have to find the perp hiding behind the bins? I think you just talk to him then run up and grab the guy to get the S rank right?

That’s a blue quest. The issue I’m having is S-ranking the investigation with the keywords and stuff. You gather the keywords in ch 2, go to the Astral Plane in ch3, then come back and answer the questions in ch4. I’m not sure how it locks in what keywords you’ve gathered. I might need to redo chapter 2 without doing the Carlos blue quest then jump to ch 4, answer the questions, then do Carlos’s blue quest. I’m afraid if I don’t do his quest he won’t show up in the later chapters... I’m not sure how the game saves what you did in earlier chapters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

That’s a blue quest. The issue I’m having is S-ranking the investigation with the keywords and stuff. You gather the keywords in ch 2, go to the Astral Plane in ch3, then come back and answer the questions in ch4. I’m not sure how it locks in what keywords you’ve gathered. I might need to redo chapter 2 without doing the Carlos blue quest then jump to ch 4, answer the questions, then do Carlos’s blue quest. I’m afraid if I don’t do his quest he won’t show up in the later chapters... I’m not sure how the game saves what you did in earlier chapters

Ah yes, that's right, I remember. I think you just gotta do it as fast as possible, especially when you're answering the questions. Get straight in there. It's been a while. Have you tried loading up chapter 4 and answering the questions right away? It's a pretty dumb thing they did there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsclHzIB3yA&t=1993s

Alan_Shore fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 21, 2021