Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Leathal posted:

Auto-Bind seems pretty broken, especially when stacking cool down reduction.

I’m on chapter 8 and Auto-Bind into the two guaranteed(?) Sync Attacks procs the execute QTE (which gives a full heal to you and the legion) against literally 90% of trash enemies.

Part of it is that the game doesn’t seem to penalize you at all for putting all your upgrade points into the Sword Legion (and baton/legionatus). Flying and invisible enemies are supposed to be the punish for not upgrading other legions but not only are they both rarely seen, they’re also very squishy.

That's what waypoint complained about the difficulty, that he was getting S+ all day just using the one legion, and if anything remotely got him out of his comfort, he just used all his spare points on the other legion for that one thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, Auto-Bind seems very very strong. I don't know if it matters more on the ultimate mode but it does seem extremely strong for what it is.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Is there any benefit to replaying the chapters in Pt Ultimate before moving on to the next one? Do you get to replay them with newer/unlocked abilities? Do you earn more materials for upgrading your Legions / gear?

You do seem to keep your abilities, but it's mostly as a skill test than anything. The game definitely seems designed for you to revisit the chapters near the END because there's a ton of stuff locked behind abilities you won't have the first time through.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, Auto-Bind seems very very strong. I don't know if it matters more on the ultimate mode but it does seem extremely strong for what it is.

It’s pretty much the same as Spider-Man’s “web everyone” super in Spidey. AOE crowd control in these games is always extremely good.

Anyways I’m starting File 5 and I swear to God if they don’t let me keep this Lappy costume I’ll ask for a refund

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I understand that the game opens up on file 3 but I gotta say, I am left entirely unimpressed by this game's terrible beginning

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Did I get a D on file 2 because I’m terrible at this game or did I get a D because I literally don’t have any options for things to do yet and I need to go back and play the level again later?

e: I mean it’s probably both.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I'm assuming you can go back and replay chapters for a higher rating once you unlock more stuff because I've been seeing things I couldn't interact with due to not having the correct legion. It looks like not all of the missions in each chapter are available the first time through as well.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Calaveron posted:

I understand that the game opens up on file 3 but I gotta say, I am left entirely unimpressed by this game's terrible beginning

Pacing is one of the biggest complaints even from the good reviews and I have to agree that it has serious issues there early on.

It starts VERY slow and then hits the accelerator hard for file 3-4 before calming a bit.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Everything after File 2 has been real loving good. Those first 2 chapters honestly should have been 1. It’s a lot of world building and character introduction but hating the real combat hours into the game was a real odd decision.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Man, the Beast Legion fight is extremely good.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
As someone who only ever uses their switch as a portable device how does this thing run off stand?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

How much of this game is combat heavy? I don’t mind combat per say but I felt like Nier was mostly flashy combat and no substance (I did finish it however). How’s the non combat stuff?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lappy elevating this game to Top 5 of the year

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Skeezy posted:

How much of this game is combat heavy? I don’t mind combat per say but I felt like Nier was mostly flashy combat and no substance (I did finish it however). How’s the non combat stuff?

There is plenty of investigating, puzzle platforming, cleaning up cans on the street, and balancing a 10 scoop ice cream cone. It's very balanced with the combat only being part of the game not the entire focus

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Skeezy posted:

There's other stuff to do (minor puzzles/exploration kind of stuff) but there's a lot of combat and it is more akin to Nier than anything else.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I want to beat Lappy with my nightstick

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I wish more clothing options unlocked sooner, I have a color change thing but it doesn't seem to work with anything. :smith:

Skeezy posted:

Way more non combat stuff than nier and you do a bunch of stand stuff with your legion, like arresting people, listening in on conversations. Incidentally does anyone know where the second item I need for the toilet fairy is?

lets hang out posted:

i can't dodge a single attack in this game

:yeah:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I wish more clothing options unlocked sooner, I have a color change thing but it doesn't seem to work with anything. :smith:

Way more non combat stuff than nier and you do a bunch of stand stuff with your legion, like arresting people, listening in on conversations. Incidentally does anyone know where the second item I need for the toilet fairy is?

:yeah:

Go to the toilet and give the tissue to the toilet fairy and you'll unlock a custom color slot.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Oh, hey, I got an A on the file 2 case where you can use the legion freely, so that makes me feel better.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
From what I've read and seen, the early parts of fighting games are always the roughest, as you have so few options to use. Once you've got a whole library of abilities and moves under your belt, things are a lot more fun.

Anyway, isn't it great when your tiddies are so big they clip through your arms?

Marie is cute and awesome is what I'm saying. The real heart of the department.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

ImpAtom posted:

Go to the toilet and give the tissue to the toilet fairy and you'll unlock a custom color slot.

in any other game I'd ask what the hell

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

ImpAtom posted:

I am now rocking Saints Row colors.

Lunethex posted:

I'm more concerned about why looking at the lappy mascot costume in IRIS mode reveals a blood type when nobody is in it.

Mr.Pibbleton fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 1, 2019

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

File 03 boss arrow nemesis is kind of a little bullshit. I think its a bit much to ask of the player, at least at that stage, to be good at the legion pulls and slice action with its fairly limited range, while not getting hit by arrows from across the map. I get that the answer is that you just find ways around the wall after kind of baiting it out, but you have to do that repeatedly under pressure. I'm finding the combat generally to be great, but that fight was a bit much. Combat generally is still a blast when you've got a good groove going, but boy is there a lot to manage.

Also I need to remove the ability I tried that lets you move the legion with a flick of the right stick because boy howdy does that thing gently caress me up.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 1, 2019

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
If you find a soccer ball in file 3, you should kick it around with you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lunethex posted:

I won't lie part of me just wanted an excuse to type that sentence.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Well, that counterslash tutorial was pretty overwhelming. Just move both analog sticks while holding down R3 while looking for an invisible line. You have a quarter of a second. So, looking forward to having to use that multiple times on bosses.

And there are definitely four empty slots for legions and each one of them is going to have an equally difficult special mode to master, huh?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

DalaranJ posted:

Well, that counterslash tutorial was pretty overwhelming. Just move both analog sticks while holding down R3 while looking for an invisible line. You have a quarter of a second. So, looking forward to having to use that multiple times on bosses.

And there are definitely four empty slots for legions and each one of them is going to have an equally difficult special mode to master, huh?

You don't have to hold down r3, click it to enter the slow motion mode. And no the other special abilities aren't as difficult

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Using the sword legions move is wonky as hell. Maybe its better on the default controls, it looks like you actually use other fingers, but the default controls doesn't have attack as the left face button and that is just loving wrong. On the control style I got I need to press Y to activate the mode, move my thumb from y to click down on the thumbstick, then move the thumbstick to aim the sword stroke, then move my thumb from the thumbstick to x and hope in that time I haven't already missed my chance.

When fights don't require it its pretty kick rear end.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

but is game good

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lappy had better be an unlockable costume.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Yyyyeeeeeeaaaaaahhh, this game looks really cool and I can't wait to beat up demons with my Stand

But I'm gonna wait until people smarter than me have figured out the mechanics.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I'm on File 3 and I'm not sure when I unlocked the execution move thing, I don't think the game told me about it, but it seems to refill my health and that made everything way, way easier. Is there any kind of penalty for using it?

Also if this game wasn't already giving out Evangelion vibes what with the whole "enslaved hellbeasts to fight off apocalyptic demon poo poo" and Yoseph looking like a Gendou Ikari standin, the end of File 3 straight up has a SEELE moment. And, of course, Neuron and NERV...

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Sep 1, 2019

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I'm on File 3 and I'm not sure when I unlocked the execution move thing, I don't think the game told me about it, but it seems to refill my health and that made everything way, way easier. Is there any kind of penalty for using it?

Nope! Go nuts!

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Torquemadras posted:

Yyyyeeeeeeaaaaaahhh, this game looks really cool and I can't wait to beat up demons with my Stand

But I'm gonna wait until people smarter than me have figured out the mechanics.

Someone on gamefaqs put together a pretty good mini guide to the dodge mechanics.

https://imgur.com/a/vL4edct

TLDR version: the regular dodge is less safe than what you'd expect from Bayonetta/Nier, perfect call is a lot better, the beast legion is a good dog and will keep you safe while you're riding.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I must have missed the tutorial - whats a perfect call? Are you summoning the legion at the right time?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Lechtansi posted:

I must have missed the tutorial - whats a perfect call? Are you summoning the legion at the right time?

It's an ability you have to unlock with XP on your Legion before you can use it, but yes, it means summoning the Legion as an enemy is attacking you.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Where do you get the Eva color scheme for your legions? I just started file 4 so maybe I missed it.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Maybe it’s having come off of Control, which felt like a game that was firing on all cylinders the entire time, but I’m having trouble really getting into this one.

It just feels like the parts are in some ways better than the whole. The action sequences are super fun, but they’re weighed down by the simplistic investigation sections and the really tedious cleanup mechanic.

Similarly, some of the RPG components (e.g. care and maintenance of legions) feel like they’ve been simplified to facilitate the action game - like, imagine how cool the game would be if legions were more Pokémon-esque.

It just kind of feels like this could have been an amazing stylish action game or a really cool ARPG, but Platinum split the difference and ended up with a solidly “OK” game in the end.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Why did I just send a steet artist to prison?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Steve2911 posted:

Why did I just send a steet artist to prison?

For the same reason your sibling issues you fines when you break cardboard boxes.