Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

lordfrikk posted:

I'm glad there's going to be something apart from Terraria. As far as I've understood it, Starbound fell short of it and that's why I haven't played it yet even though I've followed it since before the preorders were announced.

I'm also glad that guns won't be randomly generated. I liked it in Diablo way back when but then it became ubiquitous and :effort: which killed most loot-based games for me.
There's a handful of other games in the genre but I haven't heard that any of them are actually good. And over half of the ones i'm aware of are in early access.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I was 50/50 on no random generated guns. But knowing Rho's design goal of no bullet sponge enemies and ablative armor that absorbs shots before needing to be repaired.

It makes more sense.

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

for me personally, modding out armor degradation is probably going to be the absolute first thing i do because i absolutely hate equipment degradation systems, it just feels like unnecessary busywork for me to have to run around bonking my plate chest with iron bits until it stops having holes in it.

otherwise hell yeah i'm looking forward to this. after putting a billion [citation needed] hours into terraria and then being horribly disappointed with the... other project which shall not be named, i'm super jonesing for a sidescrolling base building adventure game and this looks fantastic!

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Yeah, by all means do so. It is moddable from the get so I can't imagine it being all that difficult. The idea is to absorb a certain amount of shots before breaking but I get where you're coming from.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I kinda hope that there's little extras like the engine powering up screen before going into FTL between systems which was cut from Starbound, and fuel costs should be relative to distances of locations.

I also love the idea of the starting planet mattering.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Maybe? It's a hard balance because we want an armor system that isn't just static but as seen above some people don't like it. We go granular with a fuel system but people find that tedious... Hmm..

You feel me though right?

Edit: in my dream world engine wash murders everything underneath it on take off

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

frogge posted:

I kinda hope that there's little extras like the engine powering up screen before going into FTL between systems which was cut from Starbound, and fuel costs should be relative to distances of locations.

I also love the idea of the starting planet mattering.

I worked really hard on that :( I'm not surprised they got rid of it. George and Tiy hated anything that they didn't have input on

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I’m the kinda guy who’d finish the game with every Max Ether he found because I’d worry I hadn’t found the most opportune time, so I’ve appreciated things you can repair or use on cooldown or whatever.

However, a well designed single use armor system - whatever that means - is still preferable. I just don’t know what that looks like.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Armor that can be fixed without spending resources out of combat (perhaps by returning to base), but can only be fixed in combat (or maybe just out and about in general) by using repair kits? I dunno.

Game looks interesting, hopefully it'll prove cool.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Having to remake armour is fine, functionally. It's just having to manually do it all the time that's a bit annoying.

So, like with ammo or something, get a decent enough system to automate restock and manufacture and you should be fine with it. Factorio springs to mind with everything being numerically tracked but that's sort of the point of the game, to get to a point where it's just available when you need it and you stop caring about the specific numbers.

It's fine to move through stages where you might be handcrafting your bullets etc but if you want to progress the game to other things that demand the attention of players it's probably desirable to automate out the repetitive tasks at that point.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Having to remake armour is fine, functionally. It's just having to manually do it all the time that's a bit annoying.

So, like with ammo or something, get a decent enough system to automate restock and manufacture and you should be fine with it. Factorio springs to mind with everything being numerically tracked but that's sort of the point of the game, to get to a point where it's just available when you need it and you stop caring about the specific numbers.

It's fine to move through stages where you might be handcrafting your bullets etc but if you want to progress the game to other things that demand the attention of players it's probably desirable to automate out the repetitive tasks at that point.

Agreed on this!

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
https://twitter.com/Rhopunzel/status/1169068235406434304

site is live boys

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

playoutworlder

Oh how cheeky

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010

https://www.playoutworlder.com/about posted:

In Outworlder, we understand that making a world feel alien isn’t as simple as making it multicolored and throwing some stitched together monsters in.
Enjoying the shade here

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

OwlFancier posted:

Sorry that I keep talking up Terraria but I'm going to hijack this comment to point out one thing that personally Terraria did right in this genre and that's the sense of progress. You start as this clumsy person who can barely jump one tile out of a hole, has to swing their wooden sword heavy-handedly many times to kill the basic slime and so on. But bit by bit through all items you improve your movement, mining and attack abilities to the point where you have triple jump, fly around the screen like crazy and mine the poo poo out of everything in the blink of an eye.

Minecraft is not a sidescroller but it fails so badly at this (though I haven't played the last few versions so maybe they improved on this?) and so do many other sandbox games. I suppose it's not a hard requirement but it can elevate a game like few other things and feels really exciting. I haven't played Terraria in years and only have like 100 hours in it since buying it a long time ago but this is the one thing I always remember.

One thing that I didn't quite like about Terraria was how annoying building things were. Maybe that was improved upon in Starbound? I've seen some nice pics.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would personally suggest that terraria actually fails a bit when it comes to budgeting player attention.

It has a good sense of progression yes, as you collect more abilities going through the game and world, and the tinker system to glue them all together is a cool idea as it retains a budgeting element but slowly combines items into themes for you to pick five of.

But things like inventory managment are a pain in the arse, the game does not at all have a scope for handling the amount of poo poo it has in it, there's almost no automation of stuff once you progress later into the game except for maybe being able to buy more stuff.

Minecraft I would probably describe as being similar, honestly. You go around the world collecting stuff from the biomes and putting it in your base, it has some scale for automation with hoppers and stuff, but overall minecraft in some ways sidesteps the player attention thing because you never really need to collect that much crap. Terraria I would argue is worse because it lacks the tactile focus of minecraft, while also having a lot more poo poo to manage.

Minecraft can take a while to do things but that's sort of the point of it, it's supposed to be more... experiential, I guess. You're supposed to exist in this world with the first person perspective and the game in general is slower paced and more exploration focused. Terraria is more of a combat focused game and plays quite fast when you're not fiddling with your base.

Terraria is a very good game but I'd probably say it's also one of the poster children for the problem of inability to budget player attention. There's a lot of stuff in terraria that you don't do simply because it's extremely fiddly and not worth the effort unless you do it on an industrial scale, like potion crafting. It has great progression but not because it manages to let you automate out stuff over time, but because it just hands you a bunch of power creep over time. The player attention problem never actually gets resolved and mechanics fall by the wayside as a result.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I can definitely agree with that, you could probably make a much slimmer and focused game that would retain large part of the gamefeel, however you want to define that. I didn't want to put Terraria on a pedestal but that was one thing I always liked about it and the thing that made it stand out for me.

Also Outworlder seems like it might turn out to be a great game but I will manage my expectations better this time unlike with many other games lest I end up putting all my hopes into it only to be disappointed when it's released (or ends up being forever in development but not quite hitting the mark for me like Minecraft or Project Zomboid). Fingers crossed Rho's team will succeed in whatever goals they set for themselves.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You wouldn't even need to take things out, honestly. You could keep all the current mechanics but just add, like, a potion farmer NPC and a quartermaster NPC both of whom can automate your storage and farming if you build some appropriate rooms for them to work in.

That's the thing, you don't need to limit the feature set, you just need to limit how much crap the player needs to do at any one time.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Sep 4, 2019

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

H2Eau posted:

Enjoying the shade here

My favorite is:
"Q: Is Outworlder a sequel or related to [insert popular title here]

A: No."

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

lordfrikk posted:

Sorry that I keep talking up Terraria but I'm going to hijack this comment to point out one thing that personally Terraria did right in this genre and that's the sense of progress. You start as this clumsy person who can barely jump one tile out of a hole, has to swing their wooden sword heavy-handedly many times to kill the basic slime and so on. But bit by bit through all items you improve your movement, mining and attack abilities to the point where you have triple jump, fly around the screen like crazy and mine the poo poo out of everything in the blink of an eye.

This is huge for me. Not just the increase of mobility and attack power, but the variety of options in that regard. Grappling hooks, double jumps, wings, mounts, and all the crazy weapons. Almost every time I've played through Terraria I've found a weapon at some point and thought "this is the clear superior option for this tier," only to get something else the next playthrough and feel the same way.

I don't expect Outworlder to have quite so much in the way of mobility since it's a sort of chunky sci-fi survival setting, but I'm pretty confident about the weapon variety based on mentions of Soldat and Nuclear Throne as inspirations.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

I was reading the starbound thread to take a short break from star citizen posts and I found my way to this thread.

This sounds cool and good.

One thing I wanted in starbound was vehicle interaction like cortex command. Where you would drop pod down from your spaceship, smoosh mooks with it, and then initiate havok.

What are the plans for player ship/vehicle interactions? I hated starbound because your space ship felt like a walk in closet or a magic wardrobe from CS Lewis books. Interstellaria was closer to what i want in a spaceship game.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Armadillo Tank posted:

I was reading the starbound thread to take a short break from star citizen posts and I found my way to this thread.

This sounds cool and good.

One thing I wanted in starbound was vehicle interaction like cortex command. Where you would drop pod down from your spaceship, smoosh mooks with it, and then initiate havok.

What are the plans for player ship/vehicle interactions? I hated starbound because your space ship felt like a walk in closet or a magic wardrobe from CS Lewis books. Interstellaria was closer to what i want in a spaceship game.

I've had discussion's with Rho about land vehicles. They are possible and a goal but a stretch or way-down-the-line goal. It's because we don't want them to be a magical thing that you press the F key and poof a Jeep Wrangler.

There needs to be a relationship between anything and a mechanic.

Here's a loose idea of the loop:

Drop in. Clear a field, and if you already have the resources - make a landing pad and a small base. Landing pad will allow for an intermediary craft to go between planet and spacecraft.

Foot journey to explore / find material / whatever. Find material. Mark location (leave a light source whatever). Make a mine shaft or whatever.

Going a step forward. Leveling the terrain between Your forward base and the resource node so that your wheeled vehicle (assuming you haven't a walker or something more advanced) can drive there easily so that you can load the vehicle (holds more volume than you) up with resources. Pull back to forward base.

Which should have friendly NPCs defending and working in there. Once again, not a gormless cosmetic. Taking the ore and smelting it for you. Depending on the planet type there will be environmental hazards, biological or aggressive NPCs populating it.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Added social media links to the OP. I'm phone posting so they might be off / look lovely.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Can't wait to see this singleplayer game have weird latency issues where various moving objects sorta bounce around and jitter when the player influences them.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Blind Duke posted:

Can't wait to see this singleplayer game have weird latency issues where various moving objects sorta bounce around and jitter when the player influences them.

It's multiplayer from scratch so it should play nicely.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I think that's a reference to Starbound having that issue because it was built so that you're basically running a server even when you're playing singleplayer lol. I was also a big fan of the hoverbikes going faster than terrain generation could keep up with it, presumably because of the aforementioned weirdness with singleplayer. That used to not happen, and then suddenly it did one day and they never fixed it.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Been a little neglectful so here goons:

Rhopunzel's Twitter posted:

the player character in outworlder already feels so much more agile and organic than in other blockgames. it's really exciting

https://twitter.com/Rhopunzel/status/1171278611812409344?s=09

https://twitter.com/Rhopunzel/status/1170848391183654912?s=09

https://twitter.com/Rhopunzel/status/1170482324003274753?s=09

The game is really coming together. Looking forward to the next step after the movement system is really in place.

Orv
May 4, 2011
A sandbox game with good movement? What kind of scam are you running here.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Definitely has that real retro look to it. Probably take some getting used to for me but I'm game to try.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

OwlFancier posted:

Definitely has that real retro look to it. Probably take some getting used to for me but I'm game to try.

It's a pixel art game so retro for sure. I don't know the developer voodoo math but we're using 16x16 pixels in any given area which translates to double the details of Starbound which is 8x8 pixels.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean the movement, like it reminds me of seeing the old ninja gaiden games, little bit sticky and crisp.

I personally like my movement a bit floaty but I'm probably in the minority there, I grew up with like, super mario world and I think that stuck with me.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Hard disagree my friend Owl. Nothing says "fun" like floaty movement. Only time floaty is okay is when it's an ice level and you know what you're in for.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

it feels really good to play, and we're constantly tweaking and nudging to get it just right, don't worry. I'm a huge advocate for good-rear end movement in games, so I'll be sure to harass our code people to make parkour as fun as possible lol

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Whatever you do please don't add contact damage

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

wafflemoose posted:

Whatever you do please don't add contact damage

Lol. Contact damage was a big deal in Starbound because it expected you to melee everything and then back pedal the whole time. This game has much more fluidity to it. Combat will be predominantly ranged with melee being secondary, and backup for when you're low on ammo or that you must get a hit in lieu of reloading.

Contextually, contact damage can make sense depending on the enemies. It won't be a cart blanche attribute on everything. It certainly wouldn't make sense fighting a human NPC. But I can see, in theory, how some things it may be applicable to.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Babe Magnet posted:

good rear end-movement

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Glenn Quebec posted:

Contextually, contact damage can make sense depending on the enemies.

Stuff like cane toads and poison ivy?

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

Stuff like cane toads and poison ivy?

Porcupines. Dart frogs. Uh... cactus. Don't fight cactus.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Giant hedgehogs, but don't fight those they are cute and just want to bunch small bugs and apples you monster

A LOT of good games get on well enough with contact damage, because they don't control like hot garbage bags of rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Glenn Quebec posted:

Lol. Contact damage was a big deal in Starbound because it expected you to melee everything and then back pedal the whole time. This game has much more fluidity to it. Combat will be predominantly ranged with melee being secondary, and backup for when you're low on ammo or that you must get a hit in lieu of reloading.

Contextually, contact damage can make sense depending on the enemies. It won't be a cart blanche attribute on everything. It certainly wouldn't make sense fighting a human NPC. But I can see, in theory, how some things it may be applicable to.

Good. It never made sense for melee to be more powerful than ranged in a sci fi setting.