Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Galaxander posted:

Will it be at all possible to dodge bullets?

I'm telling you: when it's ready, you won't have to.

:c00lbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

OwlFancier posted:

Just saw this thing:

https://twitter.com/Rhopunzel/status/1182094313620156417

I like this, one thing I really enjoyed in the 1.14 minecraft version was being able to swim through 1 block gaps. It's a silly small thing but being able to crawl through places I think does add to the feeling of spelunking quite a bit, especially as it can be hard to get back out again if you find something horrible on the other side. It's good to encourage the player to get out of their depth :v:

Morph ball armor?

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Siljmonster posted:

Morph ball armor?

No, too space magic-y. Isn't the kind of sci fi we're doing. Think more actively caving.

edit: nothing stopping people from modding it though :)

Rhopunzel fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Oct 13, 2019

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
please put in a recycler. something that takes in objects and breaks them down into components. i'm tired of getting crappy weapons good only for vendor trash or throwing out.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

The starbound thread got me to fire it up to check something out, and I got an idea that I think would be great to consider:
If you're going to allow players the ability to put stuff in their ships don't make travel times between systems near-instantaneous.
I know in early SB players had time in hyperspace between systems and that was great for crafting in the down time while travelling, but I think some update nerfed it to being near-instantaneous travel which just isn't any fun.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Section Z posted:

The idea wasn't starting with armor repairs by default, which as you say would be crazy. The idea was "Once you unlock armor, makes sure that ALSO unlocks repairing said armor"

Essentially, the capacity to craft armor should be impossible without already having the capacity to repair it.

Something being a 'finite' resource encourages the hoarding instinct you are trying to avoid. Any cases of "New gear! Maintaining gear sold separately" will just make hoarders feel justified in their :tinfoil: even if it's ten minutes later, or as simple as "You just had to talk to the Repairs NPC on the other side of the room of crafting NPC, This isn't hard :sigh: "

(Now, FINDING armor above your paygrade? Yeah not being able to repair that just yet is fine).

I can't say I'd recommend to the game designers to design around making hoarders feel better. People will get worked up and whine about something as simple as making a repair bench regardless. I'd rather organize around making the game make sense within its fiction + fun and balance around that.

If making a repair bench or the equivalent and making like.. ablative plate inserts and right clicking that in your inventory to repair your armor is a bridge too far -- well, then it is.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Mycroft Holmes posted:

please put in a recycler. something that takes in objects and breaks them down into components. i'm tired of getting crappy weapons good only for vendor trash or throwing out.

I think something that will break items down to their constituent parts will be there.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I figure having NPCs being the mains behind it would be neat.

Especially if you make them have conversations based on what you give them. :V The gun NPC making snide comments regarding a pirate made or mass produced crappy weapon you’ve given them to break down vs a special pirate mod gun and a, “wait they hooked this bit to THAT bit” *continues mumbling to themselves and ignores the player*

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's certainly an argument againt making things stockpilable. The estus flask idea, essentially. You can have budgeting without making things necessarily hoardable in a whole-game sense and I think it definitely helps with encouraging people to use things rather than hoard them, as well as maintaining a degree of challenge where you can't economy your way through the game with healing potions.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

There's certainly an argument againt making things stockpilable. The estus flask idea, essentially. You can have budgeting without making things necessarily hoardable in a whole-game sense and I think it definitely helps with encouraging people to use things rather than hoard them, as well as maintaining a degree of challenge where you can't economy your way through the game with healing potions.
One of the more "In hindsight" things I appreciated about Estus flasks, was realizing how more than simply sidestepping hoarder instincts, it brute forces a developer to budget risks to the player with the assumption "Everyone will have roughly X amount of healing, always."

That said, given the difference in tone of a lonely murderhobo 3D adventure game, and an exploration survival game? Replenishing by default is probably miles away from any design goals, compared to trying to streamline crafting them more than other crafting survival games do. While avoiding hoarders who never use anything is a good goal, leveraging the power of industry is also a big part of survival games too.

Glenn Quebec posted:

I can't say I'd recommend to the game designers to design around making hoarders feel better. People will get worked up and whine about something as simple as making a repair bench regardless. I'd rather organize around making the game make sense within its fiction + fun and balance around that.

If making a repair bench or the equivalent and making like.. ablative plate inserts and right clicking that in your inventory to repair your armor is a bridge too far -- well, then it is.
I mean, it's not a bridge too far for me personally. The idea was simply trying to avoid a common problem of players missing incredibly obvious functions and assurances out of habit, scaring them off from basic resource spending. Though trying to idiotproof your game is often a futile cause, to be fair.

On the bright side, I also expect you have a lot of ideas kicking around for why you will actually need to split the NPC/UI of armor crafting away from armor repairs. But if not, it will hardly be the end of the world if an extra early game crafting table ends up being done purely for lore reasons. "Two cranky space blacksmiths are better than one" would hold up well all on it's own there.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Oct 14, 2019

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
So I got lured over here from the Starbound thread because I was talking about how the Starbound NPC system is better than the Terraria one for my needs - those needs being 'Animal Crossing in space'. That said, that's not exactly a high bar to clear, given Terraria's NPCs are almost entirely vendors. I get that the NPCs in Outworlder are going to be a lot more useful, but am I gonna get to take part in their little soap operas? Are they going to encourage me to engage in the game's other mechanics with little quests? Will they invite me to their birthday parties? :v: (Only half-joking.) It'd be cool to be able to set up a community and not just a fortress or spaceship.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

The quest they’ll send you on is to get something for the birthday party.

And then it turns out someone misheard and they dont think it’s to die for, they’ll literally die if they eat it. Then they think someone’s trying to poison them and they set off a pitched gun battle over a mistake of a cake.

In all seriousness, with Rimworld being an influence on this game, I am very excited for NPCs to interact with each other and the player in interesting ways depending on backgrounds and traits, if that’s how they’re implemented.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

RimWorld's a huge influence but with the scope of the game I think even approaching it's behemoth social simulation is a little much for our plates. I do plan for there to be some meaningful NPC interaction in that style, but I can't promise it'll be anywhere near as deep or dynamic.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

FredMSloniker posted:

So I got lured over here from the Starbound thread because I was talking about how the Starbound NPC system is better than the Terraria one for my needs - those needs being 'Animal Crossing in space'. That said, that's not exactly a high bar to clear, given Terraria's NPCs are almost entirely vendors. I get that the NPCs in Outworlder are going to be a lot more useful, but am I gonna get to take part in their little soap operas? Are they going to encourage me to engage in the game's other mechanics with little quests? Will they invite me to their birthday parties? :v: (Only half-joking.) It'd be cool to be able to set up a community and not just a fortress or spaceship.

Afaik it's not a narration driven game. I don't think Dragon Age, sit around the camp and chat with your NPCs will be a thing.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Eh someone will make the equivalent of Psychology and Rumor Has It mods and it’ll be just fine.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

HelloSailorSign posted:

Eh someone will make the equivalent of Psychology and Rumor Has It mods and it’ll be just fine.

This is a very good point/

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

FredMSloniker posted:

HelloSailorSign posted:

The quest they’ll send you on is to get something for the birthday party.

And then it turns out someone misheard and they dont think it’s to die for, they’ll literally die if they eat it. Then they think someone’s trying to poison them and they set off a pitched gun battle over a mistake of a cake.

In all seriousness, with Rimworld being an influence on this game, I am very excited for NPCs to interact with each other and the player in interesting ways depending on backgrounds and traits, if that’s how they’re implemented.

As long as any UI menus have a reason to be added beyond "But Twice the menus/button clicks is more immersive!" I'll be happy :v:

I'm glad this game wants automation to be practical in the long term, on that note. That means no odd curve likes "Starting Tech, single solar panel and carpal tunnel your way to all the food and materials you'd ever need! Endgame tech. 15 minutes realtime for TWO bottles, and enough drain to justify hooking it into infinite power." passive aggression against your desire for less visits to the UI zone.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah, Animal Crossing In Space isn't exactly the direction we're going for (I personally get really annoyed with people compare things to animal crossing when they really just mean like Harvest Moon-style NPC interaction or something; this game isn't Animal Crossing style) but as far as I'm aware NPCs aren't going to just be "Lvl 1 Engineer: Wears Red Hat, Lvl 2 Plumber: Wears Blue Pants". The game's primary focus is on personal exploration and adventure, but we don't want coming back home to your base to just be hitting a bunch of checklists before heading out again. The goal is to help people who go in on base building get attached to their little dudes to the point where it might make you a little sad that Ricardo Gunsmith got tele-fragged during that last assault, or you won't want to trade out Tiffany Farmer for a technically better farmer because Tiffany's helped you get through some clutch situations.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Oct 14, 2019

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

frogge posted:

The starbound thread got me to fire it up to check something out, and I got an idea that I think would be great to consider:
If you're going to allow players the ability to put stuff in their ships don't make travel times between systems near-instantaneous.
I know in early SB players had time in hyperspace between systems and that was great for crafting in the down time while travelling, but I think some update nerfed it to being near-instantaneous travel which just isn't any fun.

Uh. What.

I don’t need forced downtime to find time for crafting. This doesn’t sound like fun at all.

They experimented with this in Subnautica with multiple minute long crafting time for a single item and it was terribly unfun there too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Starbound's bigger problem with the ship space is that it's basically redundant because you can teleport back to your base anyway.

Which, of course, is necessary because interplanetary gameplay is so superficial, but it undermines other elements of the design. Not least because the spaceship also follows you around wherever you are, so its only real function is to pay fuel to examine a new system, there's no real benefit to upgrading it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

Starbound's bigger problem with the ship space is that it's basically redundant because you can teleport back to your base anyway.

Which, of course, is necessary because interplanetary gameplay is so superficial, but it undermines other elements of the design. Not least because the spaceship also follows you around wherever you are, so its only real function is to pay fuel to examine a new system, there's no real benefit to upgrading it.
of course before "teleport to home planet" was implemented you had the opposite problem, building on a planet was borderline worthless so you wanted to cram everything you possibly could into your ship

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I'm going to chime in and say that we won't have forced down time due to traveling between planets. I don't remember (or want to look up) the fictional method of space travel but forcing a travel time between planets doesn't seem like a great idea.

If something like that was in place the spaceships would have to have a lot more to do. Like, Star trek holodeck levels of stuff. Which is too high tech afaik.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Zereth posted:

of course before "teleport to home planet" was implemented you had the opposite problem, building on a planet was borderline worthless so you wanted to cram everything you possibly could into your ship

Oh yeah I can see why they did it, but it fits again into the "design a bunch of individual poo poo with no coherent overal design" thing so it all ends up undermining itself :v:

Glenn Quebec posted:

I'm going to chime in and say that we won't have forced down time due to traveling between planets. I don't remember (or want to look up) the fictional method of space travel but forcing a travel time between planets doesn't seem like a great idea.

If something like that was in place the spaceships would have to have a lot more to do. Like, Star trek holodeck levels of stuff. Which is too high tech afaik.

Do you have any plans for ships? I'd be curious to see if they have any mechnical elements to them, like upgradable addons that let you interact with the planet you're orbiting, scanners to give you more information about what's there, better landing craft letting you land in more places, weapons you can target from the ground like artillery strikes etc.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I always thought a space game like this should just use Stargates and leave interplanetary spaceships out.

People could even share coordinates/rng seeds in a “lore appropriate “ manner that way. :v:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

OwlFancier posted:

Oh yeah I can see why they did it, but it fits again into the "design a bunch of individual poo poo with no coherent overal design" thing so it all ends up undermining itself :v:

Do you have any plans for ships? I'd be curious to see if they have any mechnical elements to them, like upgradable addons that let you interact with the planet you're orbiting, scanners to give you more information about what's there, better landing craft letting you land in more places, weapons you can target from the ground like artillery strikes etc.

Ships that will exist will be premade with some additional components to craft/purchase. Think of it like buying a car IRL. You won't be able to edit it via crafting like building a base.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I always thought a space game like this should just use Stargates and leave interplanetary spaceships out.

People could even share coordinates/rng seeds in a “lore appropriate “ manner that way. :v:

That's not a bad idea but the game is about exploring the unknown like the age of sail. If they were seeded planets already we would jump through a bunch of hoops in game to explain it. It also takes some magic out of hardscrabble nature of it.

Don't think of the wild west a la Firefly. Think more of Master and Commander in space.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Space travel is a long way out but if I get my way we'll have stuff like that.

My plan for space travel is for Battlestar Galactica style - there's no wormholes or Star Trek style "warp", it spools up and in a flash, you're there. That said I'm not opposed to having other styles of FTL. Maybe there could be different engines that have tradeoffs - spool time, instant warp vs not and fuel(s) needed. I'm open minded really.

But navigation wise I want to leave the player in the dark, mostly - there won't be any galaxy map that already has every star mapped out for you. I always felt like that never made sense in an exploration game. You'll start on a planet and have to chart your way out and obtain coordinates via different means. This gives us a lot of opportunities for gameplay, such as having a ship scanner, a telescope item, or even quests/puzzles where the reward is a coordinate.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I just hope modding is easy enough that I can quickly throw something together with infinite ammo that spits out RPG rounds at a rate approaching that of a machine gun.

OwlFancier posted:

One of the easiest ways to encourage stuff to get used is to have a lot of it, or an easy way to get more of it if you run out. Limited healing might be nice from a difficulty standpoint, but if you're particularly bad at a game, or find that you're better at, say, gathering resources for it, you can end up in a situation where you aren't good enough to pass a difficult section and you can't cheese your way through it with an oversized stack of healing.

Different strokes for different folks and all, granted.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Glenn Quebec posted:

Don't think of the wild west a la Firefly. Think more of Master and Commander in space.

Well now I demand to be able to dress the part. Give me a Sabre, wig, bicorne, and a fancy frock. :colbert:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Zamujasa posted:

One of the easiest ways to encourage stuff to get used is to have a lot of it, or an easy way to get more of it if you run out. Limited healing might be nice from a difficulty standpoint, but if you're particularly bad at a game, or find that you're better at, say, gathering resources for it, you can end up in a situation where you aren't good enough to pass a difficult section and you can't cheese your way through it with an oversized stack of healing.

Different strokes for different folks and all, granted.

The two aren't exclusive, mind you, DS1 does this with the kindling mechanic, you can spend currency to upgrade your limit, but individual uses of healing are never something you can stockpile.

There's also the DS2 approach where you have both, and they both have benefits, and because you always have the renewable form you're less fussy about hoarding the consumable form.

I do definitely think that ideas along that line have a lot of use, especially in exploration or RPG focused games, and especially in games where you're reliant on randomized loot or derivations therefrom, because you never really know how good a consumable is until late game, and you also never know how many you're going to get. Both of which encourage you to hoard it until you know, at which point you've gotten used to playing without it. I do find the pure "finding stuff and consuming it" approach pretty offputting nowadays, and would almost always rather have the option of a renewable consumable even if it makes the game harder overall, not least because it cuts down on what I find to be annoying inventory management.

Some terraria mods do a nice thing whereby if you get a big pile of potions you can craft them into an infinite potion, so you no longer have to worry about recrafting them, which is a bit annoying owing to terraria's way of handling farming/crafting.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 14, 2019

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Well now I demand to be able to dress the part. Give me a Saber, wig, bicorne, and a fancy frock. :colbert:

Yeah, but no. Military uniforms and such will be in but it has to be utilitarian to a certain point. I think an officers uniform has much more latitude in that regard but maybe not considering that contemporary officers in the field don't wear dress uniforms anymore.

It's the future and we travel in space but it's not so far away. Take Alien for example. They are space truckers wearing jumpsuits. That sort of thing.

If you are (and if you're playing this you are) an explorer, you should look and feel as such as it jives with the fiction.

All this poo poo goes out the window with mods as it should be. But as the creators we have to stay honed in on our vision without getting too diverted cause yeah, looking like a Hi-Tech ship of the line captain from 1789 is cool af but so are a lot of things.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

OwlFancier posted:

The two aren't exclusive, mind you, DS1 does this with the kindling mechanic, you can spend currency to upgrade your limit, but individual uses of healing are never something you can stockpile.

There's also the DS2 approach where you have both, and they both have benefits, and because you always have the renewable form you're less fussy about hoarding the consumable form.

I do definitely think that ideas along that line have a lot of use, especially in exploration or RPG focused games, and especially in games where you're reliant on randomized loot or derivations therefrom, because you never really know how good a consumable is until late game, and you also never know how many you're going to get. Both of which encourage you to hoard it until you know, at which point you've gotten used to playing without it.

To your last point -- we don't have randomized items thankfully. I used to be a big fan of them as an idea but seeing dark souls where each item is bespoke totally changed my mind years ago

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I was mostly joking anyways, as I hoped the colbert would indicate. :v:

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Rhopunzel posted:

Space travel is a long way out but if I get my way we'll have stuff like that.

My plan for space travel is for Battlestar Galactica style - there's no wormholes or Star Trek style "warp", it spools up and in a flash, you're there. That said I'm not opposed to having other styles of FTL. Maybe there could be different engines that have tradeoffs - spool time, instant warp vs not and fuel(s) needed. I'm open minded really.

But navigation wise I want to leave the player in the dark, mostly - there won't be any galaxy map that already has every star mapped out for you. I always felt like that never made sense in an exploration game. You'll start on a planet and have to chart your way out and obtain coordinates via different means. This gives us a lot of opportunities for gameplay, such as having a ship scanner, a telescope item, or even quests/puzzles where the reward is a coordinate.

For the player, I think the BSG style is fine.

Though I think acknowledging those different styles of FTL exist, and having NPC groups you meet that may have used those different styles could bring interesting societal differences and stories.

Maybe something like the development of the BSG drive wasn't the first interstellar drive created, it is simply the latest and fastest. Due to laws of physics, you've got things like solar sail generational ships or quite near FTL ships that though aren't generational, aren't super long ranged. Exploration and poo poo was happening, but it took a lot more to get out there... and then the breakthrough drive is developed, and everyone's jumping at the chance to get into space.

Which, depending on how you handle interstellar communications could make some other interesting choices. If communication is still limited to speed of light, then couriers or drones bringing messages using the BSG drive could have interesting story lines or interesting interactions with factions.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Glenn Quebec posted:

To your last point -- we don't have randomized items thankfully. I used to be a big fan of them as an idea but seeing dark souls where each item is bespoke totally changed my mind years ago

Sorry I mean randomized drops, not diablo loot. Though I would concur that if everything else in the game is carefully planned out having diablo loot would be a bit weird.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

If you're still doing the tester thing:
depressed positron on steam
Armadillo Tank#3476 on discord

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I was mostly joking anyways, as I hoped the colbert would indicate. :v:

It's a good point tho!

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Armadillo Tank posted:

If you're still doing the tester thing:
depressed positron on steam
Armadillo Tank#3476 on discord

Bottom of the OP now has link to the discord. Say you're from SA and interested in Alpha Testing my friend

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

HelloSailorSign posted:

For the player, I think the BSG style is fine.

Though I think acknowledging those different styles of FTL exist, and having NPC groups you meet that may have used those different styles could bring interesting societal differences and stories.

Maybe something like the development of the BSG drive wasn't the first interstellar drive created, it is simply the latest and fastest. Due to laws of physics, you've got things like solar sail generational ships or quite near FTL ships that though aren't generational, aren't super long ranged. Exploration and poo poo was happening, but it took a lot more to get out there... and then the breakthrough drive is developed, and everyone's jumping at the chance to get into space.

Which, depending on how you handle interstellar communications could make some other interesting choices. If communication is still limited to speed of light, then couriers or drones bringing messages using the BSG drive could have interesting story lines or interesting interactions with factions.

I believe having disparate FTL techs would fly in the face of the idea of exploration in the game. If it's the age of sail and you run into other guys who have the equivalent of a nuclear powered vessel to your sail ehhh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Glenn Quebec posted:

I believe having disparate FTL techs would fly in the face of the idea of exploration in the game. If it's the age of sail and you run into other guys who have the equivalent of a nuclear powered vessel to your sail ehhh.

It’s not like the cheap pirates would be using lovely solar sails. The pirates showed up because the BSG drive made space something done day to day rather than lifetime or years.

Meanwhile, interactions of the player with earlier versions of FTL drives can mean the player helps (and gets a new friendly colony), takes their poo poo (people, material, databanks), or runs into different encounters (protective AI, crazy fanatic ARK ship, micro meteor damage, etc).

Maybe I’m just playing too much Seedship :V