Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I mean, I have insight into the working doc of the technologies and background of the game so it's very easy for me to say no or yes to something. It's not to poo poo on people's ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Glenn Quebec posted:

Afaik it's not a narration driven game. I don't think Dragon Age, sit around the camp and chat with your NPCs will be a thing.

I'm not looking for anything quite so deep. I just like the idea of, say, going out mining not just because I need more green crystals but because Dave would like a new chair. Or the ever popular 'can you hand this to the person three feet to my left? Thanks.' Things that make the NPCs feel a little less like base-maintaining robots.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I always thought a space game like this should just use Stargates and leave interplanetary spaceships out.

People could even share coordinates/rng seeds in a “lore appropriate “ manner that way. :v:
If there was a very gamey "You are only allowed to land at ONE spot!", I would really want a gate network too. But I'm not expecting that to be the case here, thankfully. Trying to distance itself from Starbound (and page one references that individual planet goals are "Closer to bigger Terraria maps in scale") probably means the player ship itself can function as your local commuter rail.

Which would also make teleportation booths (Should they exist) being a QoL upgrade for hopping between outposts faster, and with less space if some kind of Landing Pad was needed for ships. Rather than rear end backwards "Let's explore distant worlds!... Because traveling on the same world is a pain in the rear end"

Whether you like ships, teleportation, or both. Ensuring that travel between bases and outposts on the same planet is convenient enough to be appealing, rather easier to travel across the galaxy to a new world than between destinations on the same world? That's a big deal no matter what methods are available implemented for FTL.

Zesty posted:

Uh. What.

I don’t need forced downtime to find time for crafting. This doesn’t sound like fun at all.

They experimented with this in Subnautica with multiple minute long crafting time for a single item and it was terribly unfun there too.
Which isn't even getting into how the official forum members were also defending it deleting the item you just crafted, as immersive :psyduck: I'm so tired of the "*Gameplay element*? My preference is better because Lore and Immersion... What? Will it help the gameplay? Sure I guess." trend in every genre from survival to amusement park management.

But musing about Subnautica's development reminds me of a reason we should all be optimistic for Cool Space Game.

A game like this, making a point that they are putting extra polish on where oceans spawns compared to it's peers? Imagine what will (eventually) be under the water beyond sand at the bottom :krakken:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Oct 15, 2019

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I only suggested it because in that other, worse game that had that lag-time I took advantage of it by crafting, and once it was removed/shortened it felt weird because I had been primed to jump down to whatever planet the instant I arrived there, not spending time crafting before going down. I guess it was just me, then. :shrug:

A better suggestion is please don't remove features or settings at random. Which I kinda don't see happening since you folks seem to have an actual plan and aren't just winging it like CF was with that other, worse game.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

FredMSloniker posted:

I'm not looking for anything quite so deep. I just like the idea of, say, going out mining not just because I need more green crystals but because Dave would like a new chair. Or the ever popular 'can you hand this to the person three feet to my left? Thanks.' Things that make the NPCs feel a little less like base-maintaining robots.

I don't think quests will be oriented towards making NPCs happier or cozier. Their happiness will be based on how safe the base is. So, let's say an NPC has like.. I dunno a trait that makes him courageous. He'll be okay with constant attacks and less defenses.

Think of how characters interact with each other in Rimworld.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Glenn Quebec posted:

Think of how characters interact with each other in Rimworld.

I don't actually know a lot about Rimworld. About the only thing I know about character interaction was that there was some sort of controversy over who the little mobs wanted to have sex with. I do get the idea that you aren't focused on space landlording, though, which is fine. This may have to be a 'well I'll build my own space game' situation. :v:

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

frogge posted:

A better suggestion is please don't remove features or settings at random. Which I kinda don't see happening since you folks seem to have an actual plan and aren't just winging it like CF was with that other, worse game.

I think this is really the critical thing that's overlooked.

Having worked on that other game from the start, and from what I witnessed, its problem was no one knew what kind of game they wanted it to be - right down to what feelings or moods we wanted the player to be feeling, or doing at any given time. Even at the most basic level, there wasn't any "We want players of this game to feel X experience". It was just 8 people, who each wanted to make a wildly different game, who all hated each other, flinging wildly different ideas at a wall. One person thought the game was a medium to grief people with, another just wanted to call the shots even if they were terrible ones, another just wanted to "do whatever makes money", another just wanted to look at pretty code, and so on. It led to this attitude that features were interchangeable and that a game was the sum of its parts.

As a result, little thought was given to ripping out and replacing seemingly insignificant features, because it wasn't a concern where they fit into the direction of the game, since there wasn't one. It's why I believe the released version of the game was so different from the beta.

We don't have that problem. From the start I've been careful to only work with people who get along and are interested in the same type of sci fi and gameplay. Glenn is one of the newest additions and he can attest to the cohesion and harmony of the team - I can't count a single time there's been a single argument or massive disagreement that wasn't rationally talked out. Truth be told I hardly ever have to carefully explain a concept or hand feed how we should do something because everyone's so in tune with each other taste wise - whenever I've been absent and a snap decision needed to be made, it's always been exactly what I would have chosen. It's really quite wonderful and I think it's already showing in how tight and polished the game feels at such an early stage.

Rhopunzel fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Oct 15, 2019

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

At the risk of asking a question that is dumb (but I am dumb, knowing next to nothing about game development) is there an ETA for early release? Will there be an early release? Also, will this be single-player only?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Samovar posted:

At the risk of asking a question that is dumb (but I am dumb, knowing next to nothing about game development) is there an ETA for early release? Will there be an early release? Also, will this be single-player only?

Nothing stupid about honest questions. I'll update the OP eventually too. We have a free creative mode coming up in December. Let's everyone try the game and build stuff. But no gameplay loops, no combat, very limited crafted (if any) and the game is designed for modding and multiplayer from the ground up. I think we have servers stable up to 32 players right now. I don't imagine we will test for numbers higher than that.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

The December release will basically be our pre order so we can generate capital and work full time on the game, except we'll be giving you something to play so there's an immediate return, and proof of our intentions that we're not dicking around in development hell like a certain other game was at the same point.

Rhopunzel fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Oct 15, 2019

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Rhopunzel posted:

The December release will basically be our pre order so we can generate capital and work full time on the game, except we'll be giving you something to play so there's an immediate return, and proof of our intentions that we're not dicking around in development hell like a certain other game was at the same point.

I can't emphasize rho more. The amount of work that this team can get done in each uhh department is tremendous. Awesome team to work with.

Ichabod Tane fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 15, 2019

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Rhopunzel posted:

I think this is really the critical thing that's overlooked.

Having worked on that other game from the start, and from what I witnessed, its problem was no one knew what kind of game they wanted it to be - right down to what feelings or moods we wanted the player to be feeling, or doing at any given time. Even at the most basic level, there wasn't any "We want players of this game to feel X experience". It was just 8 people, who each wanted to make a wildly different game, who all hated each other, flinging wildly different ideas at a wall. One person thought the game was a medium to grief people with, another just wanted to call the shots even if they were terrible ones, another just wanted to "do whatever makes money", another just wanted to look at pretty code, and so on. It led to this attitude that features were interchangeable and that a game was the sum of its parts.

As a result, little thought was given to ripping out and replacing seemingly insignificant features, because it wasn't a concern where they fit into the direction of the game, since there wasn't one. It's why I believe the released version of the game was so different from the beta.

We don't have that problem. From the start I've been careful to only work with people who get along and are interested in the same type of sci fi and gameplay. Glenn is one of the newest additions and he can attest to the cohesion and harmony of the team - I can't count a single time there's been a single argument or massive disagreement that wasn't rationally talked out. Truth be told I hardly ever have to carefully explain a concept or hand feed how we should do something because everyone's so in tune with each other taste wise - whenever I've been absent and a snap decision needed to be made, it's always been exactly what I would have chosen. It's really quite wonderful and I think it's already showing in how tight and polished the game feels at such an early stage.

This is an amazing insight into why the game-that-shall-not-be-named failed to deliver so spectacularly, and why there's so much more to game design than just the moving parts.

It's also super cool for a game's developers to be hanging out here being transparent about their game and looking for feedback. There are a ton of passionate people in gaming on both the development and consumer sides, so it's nice to see that passion come out so positively here.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Yeah open communication and being authentic to ourselves and our possible consumers is critical to how we would like our company culture to be.

The main reason I even considered managing for Rho was because I knew they had a really awful time at CF and that it skewed and tainted a lot of the industry. I won't say any more about that because, I'm not Rho, but that let me know that I had the opportunity to help create a company with strong core values and a good moral compass.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Eager to see how this ends up. It looks great. :haw:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I've been neglecting this thread because of other obligations to do with the game! Some shameful poo poo. I'll see if someone else wants to take over it.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

It's because I've been having bad ideas about rabbit behaviors, hasn't it. :smith:

It's always my fault. :smithicide:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Lmao is that you torching me in the discord with custom rabbit hutches and bespoke AI for when they twitch their whiskers

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'll post a new one at some point in the near future, but we may wait until we have some substantial news. Until then feel free to ask questions and all that! And follow twitter linked in the OP, we're posting new stuff all the time!!

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Also don't worry about pestering me on discord!!!!! Or on SA!!!!!!

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Glenn Quebec posted:

Lmao is that you torching me in the discord with custom rabbit hutches and bespoke AI for when they twitch their whiskers

Yes, but I wasn't "design rabbit burrow with tunnel" guy.

And whisker twitching can tell you their behaviors and therefore is an important aspect in an exploration survival g :words:

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Glenn Quebec posted:

i'm the guy telling us "maybe take inspiration from the civilisation series"

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

So if you meet a dude named Ghandi he's gonna nuke you?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
You thought it was a coincidence that Mahatma Prime's chief export is fissile material?

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Honestly im just paitently waiting for a chance to try the first public release, i know im going to buy it because while i like this style of game nothing else i have tried ever came close to being good except terraria, and it feels kinda silly to compare considering the direction and focus on the scifi being harder.

Honestly the transparency and general care that's being shown is great, and im always willing to trust in a game with a cohesive idea behind what its trying to do, especially after seeing so many where the something seems half baked and tacked on.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

We're spitballing backer reward ideas in the discord.

But what would you guys think would be worthwhile backer reward stuff?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

An option to turn it off. I remember having to drop all the pre-order poo poo at the start of Deus Ex: Human Revolution because it completely broke the game balance.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

goatsestretchgoals posted:

An option to turn it off. I remember having to drop all the pre-order poo poo at the start of Deus Ex: Human Revolution because it completely broke the game balance.

Yeah, that's legit. Also not letting people poo poo all over everything like in PoE.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Hmm, something to get somebody into the game with an impact on the world, but not get in the way.

Chosen name Gravestones, with randomly generated epitaphs? popping up in the dead air empty ground stretches between Spawn and Plot Points surface.

Here lies Mister Backer.
"He was very excited to live here before you.
Hopefully, also excited to die here before you."

Then somebody complains the free Space Granite for smashing the Tombstone is OP :v:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Nov 21, 2019

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Have a tier to name your FTL drive technology after the backer, so everyone sees their name when they use it.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

chiefnewo posted:

Have a tier to name your FTL drive technology after the backer, so everyone sees their name when they use it.

Also reserve the right to veto any and all names. Don’t be a good game except for that one FTL drive that denies the Holocaust.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Section Z posted:

Hmm, something to get somebody into the game with an impact on the world, but not get in the way.

Chosen name Gravestones, with randomly generated epitaphs? popping up in the dead air empty ground stretches between Spawn and Plot Points surface.

Here lies Mister Backer.
"He was very excited to live here before you.
Hopefully, also excited to die here before you."

Then somebody complains the free Space Granite for smashing the Tombstone is OP :v:

Tbh this was the kind of poo poo that was grating in pillars of eternity. We wanna make sure backer stuff jives with the games internal logic and fiction.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Something really low-impact? Like backers can add a ship name to a list that gets pulled from for NPC ships you might hear about in logs, or something like that.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

HopperUK posted:

Something really low-impact? Like backers can add a ship name to a list that gets pulled from for NPC ships you might hear about in logs, or something like that.

Which loops back into

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Also reserve the right to veto any and all names. Don’t be a good game except for that one FTL drive ship name that denies the Holocaust.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Glenn Quebec posted:

Tbh this was the kind of poo poo that was grating in pillars of eternity. We wanna make sure backer stuff jives with the games internal logic and fiction.

I can understand people being annoyed with a living NPC vomiting their backstory at you, yeah.

So comparing dead and buried to the worst backer aspects is giving me the amusing mental image of backers rising from the grave to tell you their tragic past. :allears:

Even if the real problem was probably how random Terraria as gently caress gravestones are unironically not very immersive.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 21, 2019

Slowflake
Aug 18, 2010

Backer Vision mode where everything that can have a text string superimposed on it, has a backer name and how much they contributed.

Backer named bullets.

Backer-named menu options. Section Z presents Start Game. FXAA - A Rho Watson joint.

No off switch for either.

But seriously besides NPC names, loot ideas, and the occasional in joke, I think it might be too early to start thinking of ways to shoehorn in backer names. Iono.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Mid-tier backers could possibly submit a small building that will join the roster of randomly-generated buildings.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

really looking forward to our first stretch goal, ranked competitive pvp

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Babe Magnet posted:

really looking forward to our first stretch goal, ranked competitive pvp

Battle Royale right guys????

So, consensus from the discord is semi-unique voidcraft and atmospheric shuttles being popular. Some sort of NPC self-insert. They don't want things like designing items, weapons etc.

So far we basically have:
"buy the devs coffee and get a thank you credit"
"Early Beta Access"
"Early Alpha Access"
"Name an NPC that will be randomly genned."
"Design an atmospheric shuttle."
"Design a spaceship"
"Create-a-faction"

Each tier ascending in that order. Higher tiers get you access to each lesser tier. Everything subject to the whim of the games internal logic and fiction.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
If Named gravestones would be too jarring, you should probably stay the hell away from Create-A-Faction :v:

More seriously, create-a-faction is something that sounds like it would probably be a huge pain in the rear end for you to deal with, even if your sole limitation was "No Hitlers." Unless you meant something more along the lines of only getting to slap a name on a pre-generated factions? That would be nice and easy then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Section Z posted:

If Named gravestones would be too jarring, you should probably stay the hell away from Create-A-Faction :v:

More seriously, create-a-faction is something that sounds like it would probably be a huge pain in the rear end for you to deal with, even if your sole limitation was "No Hitlers." Unless you meant something more along the lines of only getting to slap a name on a pre-generated factions? That would be nice and easy then.

Totally missed this, sorry. But here's the real answer: Create a faction is the most expensive and lore impacting option. It'll be limited in how many backers can opt in and also: it'll be expensive. And still can be vetoed if the idea doesn't jive.. something like gravestones cannot be inherently expensive and don't make sense to limit either.

Separately, here is an example of equipment but mostly clothing:

There will be three slots: Head, Torso and Legs.