Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

infernal machines posted:

i only used it a few times. i remember it being just weirdly clunky. it looked like windows 3.1, but there were enough ui differences to make it weird to navigate at times

nt4 was great if you had smp, a shitload of ram, and no need for directx or dos

USB support being missing entirely was a problem with Windows NT 4.0 Workstation in the later years. But there were third-party products that would add in USB support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

do you think i could browse the modern web with windows 3.1

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
no

i mean, unless you use a proxy that strips and flattens everything and is http only. but effectively no.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

load up a vm and try for yourself

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I've posted with emacs and lynx but windows 3.1 sounds rough.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Beamed posted:

do you think i could browse the modern web with windows 3.1

ie5 was the last supported version on win 3.1

so, no

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
now that i think about it, ie 5 had pretty impressive cross-platform chops

• win 3.1
  • win 9x
  • win nt / 2000
  • wince
  • legacy macos (system 7)
  • mac osx
  • hp-ux
  • solaris

am i missing any others

seems like it ran on a bunch of poo poo

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
on the other hand, the modern web is total dogshit, so you might be at a net positive there

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

OldAlias posted:

load up a vm and try for yourself

My VM fusion won't work on this Mojave operating system what the HECK

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Why would you expect the Desktop version of ios to be able to run a VM?

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

because my fifty bucks :byodood:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

• win 3.1
  • win 9x
  • win nt / 2000
  • wince
  • mac osx
  • hp-ux
  • solaris

am i missing any others

#wow #iefacts

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Joe 30330 posted:

Autoexec.bat could just be re-ran if for some reason that was necessary

wait, what? was this always the case? no-one told me, heck :negative:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's just a batch file, like any other, so yes

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

config.sys was only read at boot, though

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yes, because it was system configuration options loaded by the kernel

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

infernal machines posted:

yes, because it was system configuration options loaded by the kernel

indeedy-do

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'll be frank here, gently caress dos. i don't miss it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I miss knowing exactly what was happening and why at all times.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jerry Cotton posted:

I miss knowing exactly what was happening and why at all times.

it was only ever an illusion anyway

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

it was only ever an illusion anyway

Thus of old: bit goes in, bit comes out UNLESS YOUR SOUND BLASTER IS THE WRONG IRQ
Thus now: bit goes in WHAT THE FUXK IS APPLE BONJOUR THIS IS AN OSBORNE

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

• win 3.1
  • win 9x
  • win nt / 2000
  • wince
  • mac osx
  • hp-ux
  • solaris

am i missing any others

when ie was good it was pretty ridiculously good

it is popular to imagine that ie hegemony was more about microsoft strong-arming than it was, when really the peak dotcom bubble coincided with there being no sane alternative to ie (i really really tried to live mixing netscape4 and like mozilla m12 in the early naughts, but they were just incredibly trash-tier)

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

when ie was good it was pretty ridiculously good

it is popular to imagine that ie hegemony was more about microsoft strong-arming than it was, when really the peak dotcom bubble coincided with there being no sane alternative to ie (i really really tried to live mixing netscape4 and like mozilla m12 in the early naughts, but they were just incredibly trash-tier)

while netscape was definitely totally doomed in the long run (their technical debt was so bad that mozilla decided to build a whole new browser from scratch than try to fix the original netscape code that was given to them) you can't ignore that microsoft's abuse of their monopoly power was at least part of the reason why netscape ended up in that position. netscape's business model was to sell web browsers (and web servers, but i don't know how much success they ever found in that market), and having a free competitor with equal functionality made that impossible. the reason ie was free was because microsoft had a monopoly on client operating systems which they could use to fund ie development and later to bundle ie to force it into consumer's hands before they even knew they could make a browser choice. ie probably would have won in the end (and netscape probably would have still collapsed) even without those monopoly tactics due to ie's technical superiority but it certainly would have taken longer a lot longer (look at how long its taken google to build a near-monopoly on browsers back up with chrome/blink).

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
netscape died because it sucked. the idea that Microsoft should have charged for IE because "it wasn't fair to bad developers" is totally idiotic. IE was free because web browsers are a core os feature.

altho thats not to say netscape didn't leave a lasting legacy. javascript will forever taint the web

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lol k

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr.Radar posted:

you can't ignore that microsoft's abuse of their monopoly power was at least part of the reason why netscape ended up in that position.

your thesis is correct but your reasoning is dead wrong

Mr.Radar posted:

netscape's business model was to sell web browsers (and web servers, but i don't know how much success they ever found in that market), and having a free competitor with equal functionality made that impossible.

netscape gave away the browser for free from day one, and even their enterprise licensing business in browsers (support contracts) was pretty small

selling the web server and related items was a billion dollar business

the reason microsoft got sued by the doj wasn't that they were bundling ie and outlook for free, it was that they were prohibiting oems from bundling anything else

it's unlikely that the presence or absence of preinstalled ie made any financial difference for netscape. they exited in a sale to aol for billions of dollars, and aol sold the enterprise division to sun microsystem for another undisclosed amount

they lost the browser market, but that never mattered to anyone except microsoft

p.s. did you ever wonder why they open sourced mozilla? the project was a clusterfuck and the profit potential was $0. there was no god drat money in it. their crown jewels on the server side were not open sourced.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Anyway IE was free so that MS didn't have to pay royalties to the company that wrote it. Or something like that anyway.

I'm sure Fishmech will be here presently to correct me because I can't be arsed to Bing it right now.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

is nbsd a fishmech alt

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gentle Autist posted:

is nbsd a fishmech alt

Unless someone edited Wikipedia to say child murder is OK, Fishmech has never advocated for it.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Gentle Autist posted:

is nbsd a fishmech alt

no fischmeche likes windows and nbsd likes linux. big differences

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

windows has a linux now too, something for everyone

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

your thesis is correct but your reasoning is dead wrong

netscape gave away the browser for free from day one, and even their enterprise licensing business in browsers (support contracts) was pretty small

selling the web server and related items was a billion dollar business

the reason microsoft got sued by the doj wasn't that they were bundling ie and outlook for free, it was that they were prohibiting oems from bundling anything else

it's unlikely that the presence or absence of preinstalled ie made any financial difference for netscape. they exited in a sale to aol for billions of dollars, and aol sold the enterprise division to sun microsystem for another undisclosed amount

they lost the browser market, but that never mattered to anyone except microsoft

p.s. did you ever wonder why they open sourced mozilla? the project was a clusterfuck and the profit potential was $0. there was no god drat money in it. their crown jewels on the server side were not open sourced.

oh, that makes sense (especially the part about their server business). to be fair i was 8 years old at the time this was all going down so i only ever knew the consumer side (and remember my dad buying a boxed copy of Netscape at one point). so really what killed Netscape was Apache/the "LAMP" stack and IIS?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr.Radar posted:

oh, that makes sense (especially the part about their server business). to be fair i was 8 years old at the time this was all going down so i only ever knew the consumer side (and remember my dad buying a boxed copy of Netscape at one point). so really what killed Netscape was Apache/the "LAMP" stack and IIS?

nothing "killed" netscape, everyone involved got rich as hell. i'm not sure there is another definition of success available for a vc-funded venture.

you can still buy the old netscape products to this very day, from oracle or ibm, depending on the product

i guess netscape the household brand is gone, but who cares? there was never any money in being a branded web browser

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
basically what killed netscape-the-browser was not microsoft competition or the aol buyout or any of that external poo poo

it was someone with an actual mba taking the reins at netscape and noticing that they were pouring money into a hole in the ground with absolutely no potential for future returns

and so we saw one of the first big dump-it-and-run type open sores releases

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

pram posted:

no fischmeche likes windows and nbsd likes linux. big differences

fishmech (aka nintendo kid) didn't want to reveal his massive love for another sperg domain, so uses nbsd as his unix posting safespace

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Gentle Autist posted:

fishmech (aka nintendo kid) didn't want to reveal his massive love for another sperg domain, so uses nbsd as his unix posting safespace

you've unraveled the mystery of why our timezones never overlap

it's 24 hour posting

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Gentle Autist posted:

this is making a lot of sense

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bring back Reversi, anyway.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
hell yeah

and programs minimising to the desktop. gently caress your taskbar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.