Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Whenever a super-intense guy with an amateur wrestling background gets so pumped he yanks down the straps of his singlet. Kurt Angle is the GOAT at this, of course, but Jason Jordan did it SO well in NXT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

also putting in a vote for stolen finishers. diy/revival stealing each others finishers in Toronto, then teaming up to do their finishers together on AOP at a later show, was such insane gas.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Dr. rear end posted:

Whenever a super-intense guy with an amateur wrestling background gets so pumped he yanks down the straps of his singlet. Kurt Angle is the GOAT at this, of course, but Jason Jordan did it SO well in NXT.

Straps down/straps up/straps down!!! Is my favorite also

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Jobbers/comedy wrestlers showing that they can be competent is another favorite. Serious Toru Yano during his G1 match with Ishii was a joy.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

PunkBoy posted:

Jobbers/comedy wrestlers showing that they can be competent is another favorite. Serious Toru Yano during his G1 match with Ishii was a joy.

I loved Jim Duggan briefly putting the fear of God into Bischoff by cutting a serious promo about how Bischoff will have to explain to his boss why Jim is the WCW champ next week

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I like when people do tropes off the top rope

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Gavok posted:

A heel is satisfied over how smart he is, but then backs into a large face and has a moment of pants-making GBS threads fear before turning around.

Similar thing happened last year with Miz selling Braun's entrance like death himself was coming for him

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Gavok posted:

A heel is satisfied over how smart he is, but then backs into a large face and has a moment of pants-making GBS threads fear before turning around.
Also known as Adam Cole.

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

I love a good kip up. Especially when wrestler A gets beat down really hard, is able to rally and get a move off, then kips up to cheers.

HBK doing that exact thing during his match with Triple H at Summerslam 2002 gets me every time. Just perfect poo poo.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Any wrestler (ie Chris Jericho) hitting the bell during the match is one of the best tropes

thatguyclint
Apr 11, 2005
See, I didn't know that...ducks eat for free at Subway.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I loved Jim Duggan briefly putting the fear of God into Bischoff by cutting a serious promo about how Bischoff will have to explain to his boss why Jim is the WCW champ next week

Hold on, I don't remember this and I want to see it.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Dr. rear end posted:

See for me now it's the removing of a knee pad before doing a strike to show it's the more dangerous version or when people remove elbow pads before doing lariats

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

thatguyclint posted:

Hold on, I don't remember this and I want to see it.

Doesn't appear to be on YouTube but I think it was during the Bischoff/Russo era?

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

forkboy84 posted:

You would love Tetsuya Naito then.

Hell yeah.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

PunkBoy posted:

:yeah:

Gonna go nuts when Orange Cassidy gets real in about 6 months.

(Also love Yano/Ishii because it shows how deceptively tall Yano is.)

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
When Orange Cassidy turns on the serious wrestling babyface part of him, it's great. Like that David Starr match or the Velveteen Dream match.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

I love the lil guy come back were an obviously weaker opponent gets one sliver of opportunity time and time again building up to maybey not a win but comeuppance against a larger foe.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Beer_Suitcase posted:

I love the lil guy come back were an obviously weaker opponent gets one sliver of opportunity time and time again building up to maybey not a win but comeuppance against a larger foe.

So Walter v Bate from Saturday?

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Weasley scrawny manager is booked for a match, wears awful gear (and possibly a helmet) but still flexes like he has the body of a Greek god.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

When a heel eats the turnbuckle they removed the cover from.

When the commentary points out that there’s really no reason for those tables, ladders, etc. to have been under the ring.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I'm really into when a wrestler turns to look directly at me watching at home through my tv, calling me by name to join them in the deeper world, their eyes a swirling dark bliss of a hungry cosmos.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

When the commentary points out that there’s really no reason for those tables, ladders, etc. to have been under the ring.

This is a really fun one, yeah. "Why do we even keep a 20 foot ladder under there?"

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Gimme a BTE segment where Joey, Darby and Jimmy are all casually stuffing poo poo under the ring before the show.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
The longer the wind up, the more dancing done before hand and the more elaborate the set up causing the moves power to increase by tenfold.

The People's elbow being a prime example. A normal Elbow drop hurts but an elbow drop after the Rock has kicked your arm a wee bit, swung his arms back and forth, ran over your body twice, done a wee wiggle over you with his foot before hitting the elbow drop is devastating.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Actually yeah, I love how in Wrestling Logic, it totally makes sense to do a gigantic taunt before a move. If Scottie 2 Hottie actually *finishes* that minute long setup for the Worm, he'll have built enough strength to one shot you with a lovely chop :colbert:

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
Spinning to add power to a move owns

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

The lights going out and someone appearing in the ring after they come back up. Preferably if that someone is Super Dragon.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Masked wrestler we've come to know unmasks as someone we don't expect it to be

THAT'S NOT CICLOPE!!!!!!

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010
banned competitors/losers of "loser leaves town" matches immediately returning under a mask to gently caress with the people who screwed them. Trying to make it a genuine mystery is dumb but when they lean heavily into the idea that people are playing dumb/exercising plausible deniability just to gently caress with the person who got them banned. Best variant of which is several weeks in when the masked man does a switcheroo with a friend/ally and the heel finally pulls the mask off and it's the wrong guy while the banned competitor shows up in the crowd in street clothes or whatever

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I like when rivals for the main belt wind up with the tag belts somehow. But only sometimes I like this.

I like almost all the tropes mentioned here so far. Stolen finishers, lights on revealing face, heel stumbling into face who is ready in the corner, heel thinking cheers are for him then turning and getting decked by face, these are all great things.

I think absolute favorite would be first time title win for a babyface and they play up the boyhood dream has come true angle. Again it only works sometimes but when it works, holy poo poo does it work.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Hellblazer187 posted:

I like when rivals for the main belt wind up with the tag belts somehow. But only sometimes I like this.

I came to post this exact same thing.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

Hellblazer187 posted:

Kurt angle and Samoa joe did this before having a match for all the belts and it owned followed by kurt defending the tag titles by himself and almost winning

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Gavok posted:

One of my favorite Eddie Guerrero moments is one of these. It was a six-man tag with Eddie and two partners (probably Malenko and Saturn) against the Brothers of Destruction and someone else. They went for the 'all the faces throw all the heels out of the ring at once' spot, but Eddie managed to reverse it and toss the 'someone else' over the ropes along with Malenko and Saturn. Eddie hits his pose, all proud for not having been tossed, and slowly backs up to where he's standing between Kane and the Undertaker. He just shows the briefest flash of panic, and then slides right into 'hell, yeah, friends! We sure took care of those guys! It's time to celebrate!' Then it dawns on him that Kane and the Undertaker aren't buying it, and he shifts straight to bargaining, and then the final stage of grief: the double chokeslam.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Hellblazer187 posted:

i enjoyed this for quite a while, up until TNA beat it to absolute death. Russo goddamn loved him some rival tag teams and established tag teams that teased breaking up every week

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

scissor boards

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

Spinning to add power to a move owns

It's why the discus Rainmaker is so strong, it's double the spinning.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

DeathChicken posted:

Actually yeah, I love how in Wrestling Logic, it totally makes sense to do a gigantic taunt before a move. If Scottie 2 Hottie actually *finishes* that minute long setup for the Worm, he'll have built enough strength to one shot you with a lovely chop :colbert:

Close, but Scotty has a mastery of the running facebuster second to none. That’s what ends the match, The Worm is just an exclamation point.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Suplex Liberace posted:

Any wrestler (ie Chris Jericho) hitting the bell during the match is one of the best tropes

:hmmyes: Made better when the heel celebrates like they've won the match and the PBP announcer has to vehemently deny that the match is over like there's someone, somewhere in the world watching that thinks the match is over because the heel rang the bell and declared themselves the winner

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

I love singalong entrances and finishers that have a corresponding crowd chant (ie “3D!”)

Insertnamehere31 fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Insertnamehere31 posted:

I love singalong entrances and finishers that have a corresponding crowd chant (ie “3D!”)

Kurt Angle's giant :haw: grin the whole time he got fuckin showered with the "YOU SUCK!!!!" sing-along when he got brought back a couple years ago was so great