Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Hellblazer187 posted:

I like when rivals for the main belt wind up with the tag belts somehow. But only sometimes I like this.
I hope someone else read this and immediately remembered the incredible MattVP storyline.

DeathChicken posted:

Actually yeah, I love how in Wrestling Logic, it totally makes sense to do a gigantic taunt before a move. If Scottie 2 Hottie actually *finishes* that minute long setup for the Worm, he'll have built enough strength to one shot you with a lovely chop :colbert:
I love this weird piece of wrestling logic. Imagine the strength of the Stunner if Stone Cold did the splits before hitting it.

Speaking of strength: when a wrestler is dumb enough to headbutt a Samoan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Goddamn MattVP was the best (except for that drat Pizza eating contest)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Mister Perky posted:

banned competitors/losers of "loser leaves town" matches immediately returning under a mask to gently caress with the people who screwed them. Trying to make it a genuine mystery is dumb but when they lean heavily into the idea that people are playing dumb/exercising plausible deniability just to gently caress with the person who got them banned. Best variant of which is several weeks in when the masked man does a switcheroo with a friend/ally and the heel finally pulls the mask off and it's the wrong guy while the banned competitor shows up in the crowd in street clothes or whatever

Or even better, when it turns out we the viewers were wrong all along. Like I remember thinking Mr. America might be Hulk Hogan until Hogan appeared on a live satellite feed from across the country only a few minutes before Mr. America came to the ring in a wide-shot and then they cut to a close-up as he declared,"WELL LET ME TELL YA SOMETHING, BROTHER!" thus proving they were two distinct people.

Torrent posted:

and then the final stage of grief: the double chokeslam.

Man that one is always rough :hai:

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
When one wrestler does a big slam on another wrestler and the slammed wrestler is all "ohhh I've been slammed!!"

That and shining wizards.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

When one wrestler does a big slam on another wrestler and the slammed wrestler is all "ohhh I've been slammed!!"

That and shining wizards.

Shining wizards are the poo poo.

I'm a fan of jui jitsu being broken out of nowhere in a match. I marked pretty hard when CM Punk put Brock Lesnar in a triangle in their Summerslam match

Sir Plus
Jan 16, 2008

Ain't easy looking this eggstraordinary.

wrestlers getting too into a match and accidentally headbutting a samoan. i love that it's still a thing that will randomly happen in battle royals and poo poo.

i feel like there was also a spot once where a samoan headbutted another samoan and they both just looked confused.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mister Perky posted:

banned competitors/losers of "loser leaves town" matches immediately returning under a mask to gently caress with the people who screwed them. Trying to make it a genuine mystery is dumb but when they lean heavily into the idea that people are playing dumb/exercising plausible deniability just to gently caress with the person who got them banned. Best variant of which is several weeks in when the masked man does a switcheroo with a friend/ally and the heel finally pulls the mask off and it's the wrong guy while the banned competitor shows up in the crowd in street clothes or whatever

I really wish Juan Cena hadn't been just a house show gimmick.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I'm a fan of heels turning on other heels and generally not being allies just because they're both assholes. I'm not even actually sure Regal was a heel at the time, but I always think of him as one so this sticks in my mind as the platonic ideal of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hImofL_MgWc

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

not sure this is a trope but I always loved in the Rumble when two guys who have never had meaningful interaction before suddenly come face to face. HHH and Bray Wyatt was one of my absolute faves, which ended in HHH getting an uppercut after trying to legit have Bray take out HHH's enemies.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I've only seen it a couple of times but the "heel so loathed that everyone in a battle royal agrees to put aside their poo poo to clobber him" is a good one.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

DLC Inc posted:

not sure this is a trope but I always loved in the Rumble when two guys who have never had meaningful interaction before suddenly come face to face. HHH and Bray Wyatt was one of my absolute faves, which ended in HHH getting an uppercut after trying to legit have Bray take out HHH's enemies.

There was a Rumble where the Headshrinkers met up with Yokozuna. Which resulted in all three of them pausing, then doing the Wild Samoan taunt and teaming up on everyone else. It was the best thing

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I've only seen it a couple of times but the "heel so loathed that everyone in a battle royal agrees to put aside their poo poo to clobber him" is a good one.

This is a great one, yeah. Works well also when a giant shows up.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

I like the idea of this one, but somehow it seems to mostly just be used for hazing or because someone isn't white.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

This is very similar to one of my least favourite wrestling tropes.

Big man in a battle royal/royal rumble is so big that no one man can put him out, so every body in the ring piles on him, and struggles to get him out. This then leads to big man throwing them all off him, and all the little guys go flying backwards.

I know it is supposed to be a fun spot, but I personally don't like it.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Close, but Scotty has a mastery of the running facebuster second to none. That’s what ends the match, The Worm is just an exclamation point.

But although he usually hit it in every match he rarely got the pin off it. The usual reaction would be for the opponent to have been hit so hard it wakes them up! It probably helps that this move and the People's Elbow were both used in the same era.

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

Wrestlers reacting to their opponent clearly botching something, usually a high-flying move, with sarcastic clapping.

Heels pulling down the faces partner from the corner in a tag match and replacing them, fooling the periled face to "tag" the heel in and get stomped on some more.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

no i shouldn't be posting at 4am. I didn't post this so don't get me in trouble. pretend like i didn't

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Gonzo McFee posted:

The longer the wind up, the more dancing done before hand and the more elaborate the set up causing the moves power to increase by tenfold.

The People's elbow being a prime example. A normal Elbow drop hurts but an elbow drop after the Rock has kicked your arm a wee bit, swung his arms back and forth, ran over your body twice, done a wee wiggle over you with his foot before hitting the elbow drop is devastating.

they're gathering ki, like how you have to cup your hands to charge a hadoken

look at the runs of Hulk Hogan and John Cena and tell me wrestling isn't a shonen anime

I think my favorite wrestling trope, or at least the one that springs to mind first when I think wrestling tropes, is that putting on a referee shirt immediately turns you into a soft, squishy baby and even a stern breeze will knock you smooth out

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I've lagged out on wrestling post-All Out and so I'm only just getting to the first show of the NJPW Road to Destruction tour and the opening match is the start of the Young Lions Cup.

My favourite trope is the Young Lion/Young Boy. Everything about it. Rookie, comes in, sits ringside, watches the action up close, wrestles in openers mainly, a strict hierarchy, they all start off with shaved hair and black trunks and black boots and an incredibly limited moveset. Chops and punches and a Boston Crab and a clotheslines and a bodyslam and not much else, it's all about learning those fundamentals and slowly adding in more stuff, showing more character, it's all very simple still until you get to the first time they pull out something really awesome like Ren Narita with his overhead belly-to-belly suplex and you go wild for it. Watching them grow like that is just a very organic way to get invested in these young wrestlers. Then ideally they go off on excursion, come back and they are someone now.

It's all really simple stuff, but I'm currently watching Yota Tsuji, one of the first class of Young Lions who has debuted since I started watching at Wrestle Kingdom 12, and he's up against a LA Dojo guy, Alex Coughlin and Coughlin is working a headlock far more convincingly than you see from a 19 year veteran like Randy Orton. He has to. It's great. There's deeply uncomfortable things about the Young Boy system as a whole, but everything in ring is just great and I love it. It's all very simple stuff but here I am just howling at Coughlin & Tsuji chopping the bejesus out of each other, it's very much rad.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah I loving love The Young Boys, especially this current crop in New Japan who all seem to really have something.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
more of a "wrestling fan community" trope but i adore talking about non-wrestling media through wrestling terms. Like Jim Cornette saying that Frankenstein had to kill a couple of villagers first to get over

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bryan Alvarez talking about a "worked hand-off" in the Super Bowl :allears:

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

Jerusalem posted:

Bryan Alvarez talking about a "worked hand-off" in the Super Bowl :allears:

i love bryan. he goes too big on the hyperbole oftentimes but he is a good man

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

going too big on hyperbole is basically the purest essence of pro wrestling

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Trips saying he was "doing the job" for an envelope he couldn't get out of his pocket on Raw earlier this year was genuinely hilarious.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
Jobbing being used in fgc and saltybet circles is the best

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Seattle indie 3-2-1 Battle streams their shows on twitch and I watched tonight's and it made me realize how deeply I love the hot tag and playing around with that formula. When they finally break free but the heel yanks the face's partner off the apron? Good poo poo.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh God yes, how did I not remember how much I love.... THE HOT TAG! :woop:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Blind tags rule, too

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Jesus the hot tag! I went to a Raw in 2013 (debut of Curtis Axel!) And on that show was a Team Hell No + Kofi vs Shield match. Shield beat down Kofi for what seemed like 10 minutes, Kofi finally got the hot tag to Bryan and the Sprint center went insane. Still to this day might have been one of the loudest pops ever at that building.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

God the storyline of Daniel Bryan going insane trying to get a win over The Shield was incredible. The night he finally lead a team to victory was absolutely loving awesome.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Jerusalem posted:

God the storyline of Daniel Bryan going insane trying to get a win over The Shield was incredible. The night he finally lead a team to victory was absolutely loving awesome.

That whole 2013 to right after WM XXX for Bryan in general might have been one of my favorite times as a WWE fan

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Also, the nephew of destruction

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Oh I also love when Jericho goes for the walls and the opponent uses their legs to spin Jericho away.

He always does a spinny bump and it's good

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I love wrestlers doing moves that are opposite their weight class. Like hoss guys doing cruiserweight moves and small guys busting out power moves.

Examples: Keith Lee doing that Spanish Fly on NXT or when Brock used to do a SSP. And on the other side Demon Balor powerbombing Lashley or when Ricochet does that deadlift suplex combo.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Insertnamehere31 posted:

I love singalong entrances and finishers that have a corresponding crowd chant (ie “3D!”)

3D!3D!3D!3D!3D!3D!3D!
3D!3D!3D!3D!3D!3D!3D!3D!
3D!3D!3D!
3D!3D!3D!3D!

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

The deathmatch opening sequence that starts with them doing a technical wrestling sequence that ends in a stalemate, both almost suddenly realising that the ring ropes are covered in light tubes, they each grab one, swing and miss and then smash the light tube over their own heads to prove they are tough. Bonus points if one of them grabs a few more lighttubes to smash over his own head.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
When a midcarder/undercard pulls off a big move you've never seen before
When a heel wrestles clean (especially when they have no reason to/are able to cheat anyway) and shows everyone they could actually wrestle, but they're just awful people
When a wrestler walks into the ring thinking it's a squash match but their opponent shows tremendous fighting spirit that earns their respect
When a heel works a face's body part and they have to execute their finisher with it, and they pull it off despite great difficulty
When a referee holds up the winner's arm, and they proceed to collapse on the mat, spent but satisfied
When a hoss no-sells their opponent's strikes, goading them to hit harder, and then proceeds to turn them inside out with a lariat

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

The deathmatch opening sequence that starts with them doing a technical wrestling sequence that ends in a stalemate, both almost suddenly realising that the ring ropes are covered in light tubes, they each grab one, swing and miss and then smash the light tube over their own heads to prove they are tough. Bonus points if one of them grabs a few more lighttubes to smash over his own head.

Oh so the start of every Takeda match then :-P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Guys who are on the Total Loser tier of wrestlers pulling off shock wins is great stuff. 1-2-3 Kid over Razor Ramon, Barry Horowitz over Skip.

Hell they don't even have to win, just make it close. Mr. Perfect had squash matches on Superstars where the jobber would somehow kick the poo poo out of him, until he went into serious mode and ended it.