Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Faxman
Feb 27, 2009

extradite THIS! posted:

You should absolutely NEVER go to tape in pro wrestling. The only thing that does is open up the question of "why wouldn't you go to tape every single time a heel cheats to win". The ironclad rule should be that only what the referee sees counts, and the decision made by the referee is always final. Maybe allow for a tiny bit of leeway for an extremely rare Dusty finish. But never go to tape, it's pro wrestling and not real sports.

The part I love related to this is that a pin only counts if the referee's hand hits the mat 3 times.

Can't get in to break up a pin, pull the referee out of the ring.
Hire a heel referee to count to 3 as slowly as possible when your opponent is pinning you, or as quickly as possible when you are pinning.
Distract the referee while your tag partner is being pinned with a complaint about your hair being pulled.

My favorite example of this, and I can't remember when it was, was Austin knocked the referee out, pinned his opponent, and then grabbed the unconscious referee's arm to count to 3 with it and call for the bell. Every time a ref gets KO'd I want to see that again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Similarly good ending to one of the early Summerslams where Jesse Ventura wouldn't make the three count so Randy Savage dove on his arm to finish the count. I guess if they did it these days they'd just come out on Raw and say touching the ref is a $100,000 dollar fine result is reversed blah blah blah

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Faxman posted:

The part I love related to this is that a pin only counts if the referee's hand hits the mat 3 times.

Can't get in to break up a pin, pull the referee out of the ring.
Hire a heel referee to count to 3 as slowly as possible when your opponent is pinning you, or as quickly as possible when you are pinning.
Distract the referee while your tag partner is being pinned with a complaint about your hair being pulled.

My favorite example of this, and I can't remember when it was, was Austin knocked the referee out, pinned his opponent, and then grabbed the unconscious referee's arm to count to 3 with it and call for the bell. Every time a ref gets KO'd I want to see that again.

yea the 'the ref has to slap the mat three times' rule is easily one of the best parts of wrasslin's ref bullshit. I love heel/bought off refs doing hilarious slow counts.

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

Faxman posted:

It was Over the Edge '98 I think that had him use special ref Vince's hand to get the pin on Dude Love. That match rules

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

remember when mick foley had an existential crisis before finally partying with the "dudettes" and reverting to dude love form? i think mid-to-late-90's foley was the most textured character professional wrestling has ever achieved, problematic depiction of mental health issues and all. also mick really knew how to tell a story in the ring even if he did take a lot of retrospectively somewhat inadvisable bumps

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
cactus' return prior to the rumble gets a lot of love but I prefer the debut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2ohpJkHp-U

also hhh loved to sell for cactus.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
All this talk about forcing refs to count brings up an obvious one of "a dude ambushes both people in a match and drapes one unconscious person's body over the other unconscious person's body"

OH! OH!

Remember when AJ Lee once put someone in a black widow and then used her other hand to make it look like they were tapping? solid gold.

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian
when a heel dedicates time to brainstorm and build the most destructive house of chairs and tables, but in the end, the babyface puts them through their own construction.

when wrestlers react to chairs or bats being wielded against them as if they are firearms or swords

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Veryslightlymad posted:

Remember when AJ Lee once put someone in a black widow and then used her other hand to make it look like they were tapping? solid gold.
feelin' blessed with this memory, thank you

Fad
Nov 13, 2002

I dont care.
Howard Finkels 'AND NEEWWWWW' championship announcements. I miss that so much. Made every title change feel bigger.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

fadmonkey posted:

Howard Finkels 'AND NEEWWWWW' championship announcements. I miss that so much. Made every title change feel bigger.

Tony Chimmel was great with this too.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

The big fat guy who is deceptively athletic and agile is my favorite wrestler trope, full stop. Bonus points if they get better as they get fatter like Chris Hero and Super Dragon did. Insane violent old men are my second favorite. Why yes, I do love LA Park.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

when a heel dedicates time to brainstorm and build the most destructive house of chairs and tables, but in the end, the babyface puts them through their own construction.

when wrestlers react to chairs or bats being wielded against them as if they are firearms or swords

What was the match where Kallisto put the heel through this ridiculous tray of chairs that they spent half the match building?

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
It was against Baron Corbin at a TLC PPV, I believe.

John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

kalisto vs baron corbin at tlc 2016, still the best chairs match ever and the best baron corbin match ever

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I was fannying about on Youtube when this came up in my recommendations: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGr_y8NxcAo

Reminded me of one of those great wrestling tropes: all the lights go out & when they come back on someone really cool and unexpected is in the ring. This particular example from PWG is a proper goosebumps moment.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Veryslightlymad posted:

All this talk about forcing refs to count brings up an obvious one of "a dude ambushes both people in a match and drapes one unconscious person's body over the other unconscious person's body"

OH! OH!

If memory serves, that was Mania 30, with Naomi in the hold, and Vickie Guerrero had specifically booked the match to try to gently caress AJ over

Both AJ's and Vickie's faces at the end were priceless

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Anytime a heel taps the side of the head with one or two fingers to indicate that, yes, they are extremely smart. It's so cheesy but I love it so much.

Samoa Joe just walking out of the way of a devastating high-flying move.

If Joe did that and then tapped the side of his head I'd stand up and start cheering in my living room.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
when someone gives a sunset flip or yoshi tonic and jiggles in place while the count is being made

everyone does it and it cracks me the gently caress up

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i like when the sniffer accidentally snorts while sniffing and the close-proximity cameras pick it up on their lovely little mics. Mmm

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

A Fancy Hat posted:

Anytime a heel taps the side of the head with one or two fingers to indicate that, yes, they are extremely smart. It's so cheesy but I love it so much.

Samoa Joe just walking out of the way of a devastating high-flying move.

If Joe did that and then tapped the side of his head I'd stand up and start cheering in my living room.

Unless I'm nuts he absolutely did this once.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Unless I'm nuts he absolutely did this once.

He's definitely done this a time or two.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

karmicknight posted:

"you can't escape" followed by the immediate escape is my favorite.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

When the red runs into counting the pin and they sliiiiiiiide across the ring

Everyone post your favourite ref slides itt

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Oh, on that note, when the ref points in the heel's face threateningly after they did something sketchy but not enough to be DQed.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
I love refs that still admonish heels for getting up on the turnbuckle even though nobody has been DQed for that in like 40 years

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

Oh, on that note, when the ref points in the heel's face threateningly after they did something sketchy but not enough to be DQed.

then you would love Aubrey Edwards if you watch AEW

i don't know if this qualifies as a trope but it's something i've never seen anyone else do, when Takako Inoue gets someone up into a tombstone piledriver she walks around the ring a few times kneeing them in the face with each other step.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Low Desert Punk posted:

I love refs that still admonish heels for getting up on the turnbuckle even though nobody has been DQed for that in like 40 years

Yessss this is great

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Alaois posted:

then you would love Aubrey Edwards if you watch AEW

i don't know if this qualifies as a trope but it's something i've never seen anyone else do, when Takako Inoue gets someone up into a tombstone piledriver she walks around the ring a few times kneeing them in the face with each other step.

Watched every AEW show thus far. Aubrey's ongoing friction with Jericho is exactly what I'm thinking of.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

DeathChicken posted:

I remember Eddie Guerrero doing a thing where he deattached the tag rope from the corner, so he was technically hanging onto it for tags while walking all around the ring

I think it was him that tied another rope to the tag rope to get extra distance on the apron.

I’ll always love the look of shock from a heel when the baby face kicks out at the last second.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
it’s gone away mostly with the more MMA-inspired stuff, but I love the raise an arm twice in a submission and it goes limp, but then they get an arm up on the third one and make a big comeback

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think Juice Robinson did one of those recently where he literally grabbed Marty Asami's ankle cuff as he was going to call for the bell.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Bard Maddox posted:

it’s gone away mostly with the more MMA-inspired stuff, but I love the raise an arm twice in a submission and it goes limp, but then they get an arm up on the third one and make a big comeback

I remember seeing once live (I think it was Ultimate Warrior vs Rick Rude) where due to the position of the hold, the ref raised Warrior's leg instead of his arm.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Bard Maddox posted:

It threw me for a loop when Hulk Hogan, of all goddamn people, went limp for all 3 drops.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Bard Maddox posted:

This was going to be my original post, but I couldn’t remember how often it happened outside of Hogan/Warrior.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Bard Maddox posted:

Related: the more a face has had the poo poo kicked out of them, the stronger their comeback will be.

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

Gaz-L posted:

I think Juice Robinson did one of those recently where he literally grabbed Marty Asami's ankle cuff as he was going to call for the bell.

Similarly, I think it was WrestleMania 2004 when HHH grabbed Shawn Michaels's hand to keep him from tapping out to a crossface.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Open Marriage Night posted:

This was going to be my original post, but I couldn’t remember how often it happened outside of Hogan/Warrior.

I feel like The Rock did it all the time.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I like when people get dropped on their heads and necks and somehow don't die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Hellblazer187 posted:

I feel like The Rock did it all the time.

He did, yeah.