Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Alhazred posted:

Oh, so he didn't spend the entire season being butthurt over the fact that Deet liked Rian instead of him then!

What planet did this happen on because I know for a fact it was neither Earth nor Thra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Hup wanted to be a Paladin before he even met Deet. I don't think it was some nice guy thing, more of a Don Quixote delusion. But to his credit, he was the most brave and loyal podling we've seen, and put a lot of Gelflings (Seladon) to shame. And he had NOTHING at stake either, he joined Deet and Co out of a purely stupid motivated drive. Like he could have just hosed off at any point and done normal podling things but he didn't.

Personally I found the character kind of annoying but he was important to the story. There's no victory against the Skeksis if everyone in Thra stays passive to them .

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I can’t wait for the comic to explore Hup’s backstory in which his interactions with a douchebag Gelfling convince him to become a paladin.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
If you think Hup is an rear end in a top hat i've got only one thing to say to you

*FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAART*

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Panfilo posted:

Personally I found the character kind of annoying

Imagine typing this line.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

How can you dislike a character who, when told to stop singing, starts singing louder?

Hup for Best Supporting Character

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hup spinoff when?

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I want a spin-off that’s just Hup getting high and making pottery with urGoh and skekGra. Maybe skekGra can teach him the way of the blade but mostly I want to see the three of them doing stupid poo poo together because they are infinitely better than more of Rian’s bullshit.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Rhyno posted:

Imagine typing this line.

I can't believe a person can hate hup

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Labes for days posted:

I want a spin-off that’s just Hup getting high and making pottery with urGoh and skekGra. Maybe skekGra can teach him the way of the blade but mostly I want to see the three of them doing stupid poo poo together because they are infinitely better than more of Rian’s bullshit.

SkekGra Tries To Figure Out His Taxes

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

SkekGra Tries To Figure Out His Taxes

Oh come on you and I both know skekGra would never pay taxes.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Labes for days posted:

Oh come on you and I both know skekGra would never pay taxes.

He just has UrGoh send them to UrYod, who actually enjoys doing them for some unnerving reason

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Just left the Dark Crystal exhibit in NYC. They have the movie skekZok puppet in the permanent Henson collection and seeing the difference in size between him and skekMal/skekVar is wild. Wish they had them closer to the ground behind glass because there is so much detail on the costumes and I just wanted to get pictures of all of it.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Just finished last night... Nobody ITT seemed to like Lore as much as I, I thought it was great
I have to second all the love for Hup, really love his disdain for all the Gelfling decorum

My other favorite bit that nobody's mentioned is the talkative girl in Brea's Order of Lesser Service stint.
"One thing led to another and so, jingle jangle, time to put on the silly hat!"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

brocked posted:

My other favorite bit that nobody's mentioned is the talkative girl in Brea's Order of Lesser Service stint.

I loved that line too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The writing in this series is pretty top notch.

HUP HUP

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Lore is great but it’s difficult for me to get emotionally attached to a character that doesn’t speak or have eyes. SkekGra bitching about Lore not hugging him even though he and urGoh gave their rockspawn life cracked me up though.

Even just technically that puppet is amazing given the asymmetry of all the parts and the articulation of the “head” that somehow manages to convey emotion.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hup/Lore spinoff when.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Why has this show not been renewed yet what the gently caress Netflix

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ballz posted:

Why has this show not been renewed yet what the gently caress Netflix

The way Netflix's been going I have zero faith.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Yeah, it was apparently absurdly expensive. Probably some exec's little passion project with horrible return numbers.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

You would think since most of the puppets and sets have already been constructed the cost for a second season would be substantially less...but yeah every day I grow less confident we will get a second season.

And that sucks for a myriad of reasons.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

brocked posted:

Just finished last night... Nobody ITT seemed to like Lore as much as I, I thought it was great
I have to second all the love for Hup, really love his disdain for all the Gelfling decorum

Lore reminds me of Dog from Half-Life 2.

Which is good, because seeing that character got me interested in playing that game.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I have no memory of lore?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Lore is the rock monster.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
Really hope that this gets a second season. I'd lost my taste for fantasy after Game of Thrones ended with a wet fart, but this really lifted my spirits. I also really hope Deet is okay :ohdear:

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANsnYlERUUE

So The Fangirl put forward her theory about the identity of the Urskek responsible for the creation of the Skeksis and the urRu. Her take sure is interesting but not one I can say I agree with.

I always thought that SilSol was the culprit. I came to this conclusion because skekSil the chamberlain's counterpart is urSol the chanter. If Creation Myths is to be believed, there was once a Gelfling musician who had been haunted by the dream of a mysterious but achingly lovely song throughout his entire life. He sails into uncharted territory where he discovers that what he has been following is the voice of an Urskek who has been trying to contact his homeworld. Though this Urskek remains nameless, he encounters the musician again later in the story and introduces himself as a lover of melodies. And as anyone who's read Creation Myths will know, though he keeps it hidden, his resentment at having been banished from their own planet is what isolates him from his fellow Urskek. You could even say that this makes him an outcast among the outcasts.

And sure, that could describe the hunter just like The Fangirl claims...

...but wouldn't you say that it fits the chamberlain like a hand in a glove?

As someone pointed out much earlier in the thread, the other Skeksis despise him because he is the most Skeksis of all the Skeksis...

Eshettar fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jan 1, 2020

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Claiming that urSkek is anyone BUT SilSol is a take so hot it could burn out Aughra’s other eye.

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc
The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that it makes no sense for the Urskek to be anyone else.

Even though urSol is the half who continues to be a musician, skekSil's voice loses none of its power after the division. The only change is what he uses it to do.

Remember how close he came to making Rian his pawn? He didn't wave a jar containing a beetle with an appetite for eyeballs in the gelfling's face. He didn't get a psychic spider take control of his mind. He didn't need to do either of those things. All he did was talk pleasantly to his captive audience and such was the power of his voice that in a matter of minutes, Rian went from snarling with defiance to weeping like a lost child and seriously thinking about the false confession skekSil was coaxing him to make.

Eshettar fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 1, 2020

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I still can't believe there's people out there who think of and refer to the Skeksis as their names instead of their titles.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
This is never being renewed, is it? Netflix is doing the thing where they downplay the show for ages and then quietly cancel in hopes that people will have moved on.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
It was very successful both with audiences and critics, but it's an expensive show that I doubt brings the level of revenue to justify that kind of budget.

It probably needed to have an impact on par with something like Stranger Things' to stand a chance, honestly... :sigh:

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc

Regy Rusty posted:

I still can't believe there's people out there who think of and refer to the Skeksis as their names instead of their titles.

Did you ever notice that the word 'urRu' is mentioned a grand total of once during the entire movie?

It happens in the final scene. After the shard has been returned to the crystal and all hell is let loose. As the mystics came striding into the chamber to reunite with their dark halves, the scroll-keeper looks at them with horror and begins screaming "urRu! urRU!" at the top of his voice.

The rest of the time, they get called the mystics when Jen brings them up in conversation. Even the narrator refers to them that way.

It's worth pointing out that the rough cut of the movie (which was leaked online a few years ago) includes a moment where Jen does call them by the name of their species. It happens when he first encounters Augrah. Unlike in the version we're familiar with, he says that his master was the wisest of the urRu.

The rough cut was the version which had the Skeksis talking to one another in their own language, though their voices were later dubbed into English when a test audience hadn't the foggiest idea of what was supposed to be happening during their scenes. I wonder if skekOk's scream was something that went undetected by the editors...

Eshettar fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jan 1, 2020

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Regy Rusty posted:

Weird reverse gatekeeping but okay.

Open Source Idiom posted:

This is never being renewed, is it? Netflix is doing the thing where they downplay the show for ages and then quietly cancel in hopes that people will have moved on.

That’s how I feel. People keep saying “be patient, it takes time to renew a show” but like...they literally renewed the Witcher right out the gate so excuse me if I think they’re full of poo poo.

Unless they’re going to announce it at that con in February. Guess we’ll see.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Labes for days posted:

That’s how I feel. People keep saying “be patient, it takes time to renew a show” but like...they literally renewed the Witcher right out the gate so excuse me if I think they’re full of poo poo.

Unless they’re going to announce it at that con in February. Guess we’ll see.

Yeah it's not promising when Netflix doesn't announce follow-on seasons after the first season got released.

The Witcher got greenlit for season 2/3 short after getting a positive response.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Maybe they don’t want to officially cancel it until the game comes out so sales aren’t affected as much.

golden bells
Oct 17, 2013

Crystal didn't make top 10 of Netflix's most viewed products in 2019, which doesn't bode well.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

golden bells posted:

Crystal didn't make top 10 of Netflix's most viewed products in 2019, which doesn't bode well.

Yeah I think this is one of the main ways Netflix decides to renew a show for additional seasons.

Witcher pretty much tanked with critics but the popularity with viewers made it compelling to renew for multiple seasons.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Witcher also looks like it cost 10 dollars per episode to make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I’ve never seen a show that so resolutely refuses to convey anything in the way of stakes, character, or worldbuilding the way that The Witcher does. If it’s renewed and this show isn’t it’ll be a goddamned travesty.