Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Phylodox posted:

I’ve never seen a show that so resolutely refuses to convey anything in the way of stakes, character, or worldbuilding the way that The Witcher does. If it’s renewed and this show isn’t it’ll be a goddamned travesty.

The Witcher was renewed for S2 / S3 based on the strong viewership.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bells
Oct 17, 2013

If Crystal is canceled, they'll prob do some YA novel follow-ups instead. :shrug:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
More comic books.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Would be a great pickup for HBO imo.

golden bells
Oct 17, 2013

Rewatching this, and i love how the heretic tried to roughen his voice to be more mYsTeRiOuS on Lore's etched recordings.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ballz posted:

💯

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015

Ballz posted:

I don't want my Dark Crystal to get tits...

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Monglo posted:

I don't want my Dark Crystal to get tits...

Did you somehow miss the Skeksis bath scene or Chamberlain getting stripped in the movie? Tits are already integral to the Dark Crystal experience.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Labes for days posted:

You would think since most of the puppets and sets have already been constructed the cost for a second season would be substantially less...but yeah every day I grow less confident we will get a second season.

And that sucks for a myriad of reasons.

You'd think, but even with all the puppets and sets built, it's sooooooo much manpower based on the making-of videos.

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc

golden bells posted:

If Crystal is canceled, they'll prob do some YA novel follow-ups instead. :shrug:

Yeah, just like Daniel Knauf wrote a novel to wrap up the loose ends of Carnivale after it got cancelled!

Oh wait...

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Yesterday, I learned that George Lucas wrote a "Willow" sequel novel.

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc
If I remember correctly, he wrote a few of those and they take place when the princess has grown into a teenager.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Yesterday, I learned that George Lucas wrote a "Willow" sequel novel.

They're currently going through it on the 372 Pages podcast (starring Michael J Nelson).

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Just binge-watched this show.

Impressive as gently caress. I need some time to digest it. It wasn't 100% perfect, but it was pretty close.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
I think another two or three episodes would have done a lot for it. It has some weird pacing issues, and awkward blank spots in the narrative. (Seladon is the biggest one, but there's others)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

etalian posted:

The Witcher was renewed for S2 / S3 based on the strong viewership.

It was renewed for s2 before it was released. I can't find a single thing on a s3 renewal, so if you've got a link

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I'd imagine that the reason shows like the Witcher get renewed quickly is because they have to lock down the actors ASAP.

Since all the actors in Dark Crystal are only voices, it's a lot less urgent.

But I'm still getting concerned.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
If it gets cancelled on Netflix, maybe Amazon Prime will pick it up.

Then it gets cancelled on Prime, and Disney+ picks it up.

Then Disney+ cancels it, and Hulu picks it up.

Ad infinitum. Infinite seasons.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Phylodox posted:

If it gets cancelled on Netflix, maybe Amazon Prime will pick it up.

Then it gets cancelled on Prime, and Disney+ picks it up.

Then Disney+ cancels it, and Hulu picks it up.

Ad infinitum. Infinite seasons.

It's rumored that Netflix contracts make this impossible unless an over-the-air network picks it up like One Day at a Time

golden bells
Oct 17, 2013

Eshettar posted:

Yeah, just like Daniel Knauf wrote a novel to wrap up the loose ends of Carnivale after it got cancelled!

Oh wait...

? Dark Crystal has had books--of which AoR is hugely based on--it's not a stretch to think they'll revert back to books if Netflix doesn't pan out.

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc
Eh, you're right. The thought that a show like this may not get the second season it deserves bums me out is all.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I hope they can do at least a movie or two to continue the series' story.

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc
Reckon there's any chance they might remake the film? Or would just thinking about it be deemed sacrilege?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Eshettar posted:

Reckon there's any chance they might remake the film? Or would just thinking about it be deemed sacrilege?

My theory was time travel. Like, the characters from the show intersect with the movie timeline as in Back to the Future Part 2. Or, like, they travel to the dystopian movie future as an alt-history and take Jen and Kira to the past to prevent the apocalypse before it happens. Or it's a prophecy thing and Rian or Deet or whoever access movie scenes as visions that show them what to do.

It'd give them an excuse to recreate scenes or characters from the movie without having to do the whole thing. Of course, the more likely outcome is that Netflix cancels it and our dreams die and nothing matters.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
I wonder if the fire had anything to do with delays on renewal?

Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance's Puppets Were Saved From a Fire by Their Own Director

I, too, really want to see a second season but they might be back at square one where sets are concerned at this point.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
drat, dey done Deet dirty

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc
I heard a theory about the crystal shard that Brea finds in the last episode. The gist is that it's not the real thing, nothing more than a decoy like the whole pile of false shards Augrah dumps at Jen's feet in the movie. What this would mean is that the vision of Rian bringing that shard to the Dark Crystal is not a possible future where he, rather than Jen, is the gelfling who fulfils the prophecy. It's the moment before the awful truth dawns on him that he's failed in his quest, then gets dragged down from the crystal and torn apart by the cackling Skeksis.

It would make for a morbid ending but I can't deny how horribly plausible it seems. Unless my memory's playing tricks on me, the shard that Rian puts into the crystal in the vision only seems to go halfway into the crack...

Eshettar fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Feb 4, 2020

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Or he tries to stick the shard in when it’s not the Great Conjunction, so it doesn’t work.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
It is with the heaviest regret that I report:

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1308151093486997504

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
That sucks.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Not surprising to me given how usually after a first season run you find out fairly fast if greenlit seasons are in the cards.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Aw :(

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

etalian posted:

Not surprising to me given how usually after a first season run you find out fairly fast if greenlit seasons are in the cards.

Yeah, I think I more or less knew that this was coming, but there was definitely a part of me that still held onto some hope until now that we'd get a renewal.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Yeah, I think I more or less knew that this was coming, but there was definitely a part of me that still held onto some hope until now that we'd get a renewal.

Too bad I really enjoyed the show especially things like voice acting and charming 80s era inspired practical effects.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I am not surprised at all, the show seemed really expensive, and I doubt it brought in the viewership other, more general nostalgia stuff does.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Well, there are comics covering other ages, maybe they'll make a limited series covering what would have happened next.

...eventually.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
This isn't surprising. And really, while I would love to see more of this fantastic world that they've built, where could the show go?

Better it should end here than swerve into Star Wars prequel territory.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I wish I was surprised by this, but really I'm not. What a shame though, this show was a true work of art.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Yeah it's not surprising. Niche thing and reading about the production it was a huge endeavor for the people involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I'd also assume that Covid-wise it'd be loving HARD to make a season of it.
That may be why it's taken so long to say anything?