Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Min_sora
Oct 21, 2008
Is the Ornamentalist a female skeksis in this version? It sounds like a woman doing the voice. They were all male in the original movie, right?

As people have already said, I've really enjoyed the skeksis in the series. The film definitely gave them character and tried to make distinctions, but they didn't really have time to expand too much on it. I like seeing them just interacting with each other, and the Chamberlain is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Min_sora
Oct 21, 2008

Normy posted:

The Collector is female too I believe.

I looked up the Collector and he's described as 'he' along with the others. I suppose having the female voices just gives an extra bit of differentiation between them. I remember watching the film as a kid and definitely thinking the Ornamentalist was the 'girl' one (since a lot of shows/films at the times would do that in a group) and I actually thought it was pretty funny that he was just super flamboyant.

Min_sora
Oct 21, 2008
In the final episode, the Scientist just straight beats the slave to death I think was the most brutal thing in the series, and there had been some brutal stuff throughout. I think because it wasn't anything mystical or complicated, it was just battering this poor slave who still had his mouth all sewn up while he was cowering. I really thought for a second they were going to escape, and when the Scientist was distracted throwing the other one into the pit, my mind was screaming at the other one to just run!

Min_sora fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Sep 5, 2019

Min_sora
Oct 21, 2008

EimiYoshikawa posted:

I mean, yeah, it's puppets, so there's obviously no explicit human/real animal gore or nudity.

It still has some heavy loving themes and content, though, which I would say was definitely child un-friendly. I mean, I realize most of us were raised on robocop and aliens and all that jazz before we hit double digits, but just look how we turned out.

Great series, though, I loved it, despite having no movie nostalgia.

I think for a kid as well, especially small children, the creatures can seem really real to them. I mean, I know these are puppets, but the drainings seemed so long and painful that they upset me, I imagine they could hit a child pretty hard.

Min_sora
Oct 21, 2008

Ironslave posted:

skekTek was counseling against draining essence at the start for the deleterious effect it was having on Thra, but quickly got with the program when he was threatened enough.

Yeah, I think, being the Scientist and all, he's pretty logical and straightforward in his thinking. He also doesn't seem to be as into the partying - he's in his lab working alone a lot. Whether that's entirely his choice or they tend to push him in that direction, I don't know, but he doesn't socialize as well with the others. He's just seeing it in a different way to the Chamberlain - he's thinking purely on how much his machines can handle and how their resources will deplete, compared to the Chamberlain's thinking on how they can keep control of the creatures below them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Min_sora
Oct 21, 2008

I'm honestly glad that one's dead. I can't stomach gross-out bodily fluid stuff, and I had to turn away from the screen a couple of times when he was leaking pus or whatever it was from his face.