Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

DreadUnknown posted:

So I resubbed to try out the current content, I'm actually impressed how incredibly busted this game is now. It seems to fail moving your character to a new map in the story flashpoints like regularly, I keep end up getting stuck in out of bounds areas or just totally unable to progres because the thing Im supposed to interact with is bugging out. It really does feel like a totally half assed effort to try and siphon up whatever dollars they can at this point.
yeah i've played for 50-60 hours on this patch and haven't run into anything like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Man KOTFE is a real slog huh? I'm getting real goddamn sick of fighting Skytroopers three at a time every two minutes

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

ninjahedgehog posted:

Man KOTFE is a real slog huh? I'm getting real goddamn sick of fighting Skytroopers three at a time every two minutes

Yeah that's generally the biggest gripe people have with it. I've been playing this game since launch off and on, have like 60 characters level 75+ (barely touched new expansion) and I've done KOTFE at most three times.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It was fun the first time, I thought, but it's easily the dullest part of a replay, yeah. Kinda like the ghost house in VTM: Bloodlines

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
It doesn't help that every boss in KOTFE/KOTET has the same pattern: at 75%, 50%, and 25% HP, they briefly turn invulnerable and summons a few waves of skytroopers before becoming vulnerable again.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

ninjahedgehog posted:

The first 9 chapters released and there was hope. It was a major narrative shift but had new companions and characters, the locales were varied and fresh, and you thought you were making choices that mattered.

Then Chapter 10 released and it was a major letdown. It focused on a character people generally didn't like, was a major click on McGuffins hunt, and had basically no replay value.

Then more and more Chapters released and it only got worse. A focus on non-romanceable comps (big shock people really wanted their romanced comps back), corridor after corridor of Skytroopers, and no real choices so Chapters didn't generally vary from char to char. Also Arcann and his droid army were less than compelling villains.

At least back then the Chapters were spread out every few months, having to go through them back-to-back only exacerbates the negatives.

And it's all predicated on a major plot hole: If Valkorion wanted to body swap (hackneyed Star Wars villain trope that is obvious from Chapter 1) why not swap with his son who 1) is more powerful than you and 2) is next in line for the throne anyways.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

And it's all predicated on a major plot hole: If Valkorion wanted to body swap (hackneyed Star Wars villain trope that is obvious from Chapter 1) why not swap with his son who 1) is more powerful than you and 2) is next in line for the throne anyways.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Ainsley McTree posted:

It was fun the first time, I thought, but it's easily the dullest part of a replay, yeah. Kinda like the ghost house in VTM: Bloodlines
TBH it was dull as gently caress the first time too, while at least the haunted hotel has good tension the first time through.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!

I'd say his son being more powerful might be the point, in that case. He might've had a better chance to resist him?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Because the underlying theme of the entire expansion is that Arcann could never, ever get senpai daddy to notice him. Valkorian never gave a poo poo about any of his biological children. Especially for a SW or JK PC, the player character is in every way that matters more of a son/daughter to Valkorian than Arcann ever was or could ever be. The JK was already possessed by the Emperor, so it should be easy; the SW it can be argued that their entire career was directly influenced by the Emperor, from being promoted beyond your competence as an Acolyte all the way to becoming his Wrath. You have been shaped your entire life into becoming an instrument of his will.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I'm still peeved this many years later that they didn't go with my original read on what Valkorion was; an immortal rear end in a top hat who made a hobby out of playing Civilization with the galaxy. Where the price of immortality was the culling of a planet or ten every few decades or so, but it was a price he was happy to pay in pursuit of making The Most Perfect Civilization Ever. And instead of making a gambit to body swap in you and devour the whole galaxy like a one-man locust swarm, he'd instead spend the whole time trying to convince you that his empire headed by a benevolent God-King and his super special Force users was the superior governing body to implement fully automated luxury gay space communism.

The conflict becomes disproving his ideology, where you show that his empire can only sustain itself by extraction and exploitation of the imperial periphery and requires constant expansion into new territory to support itself. Also a moral statement that maybe sacrificing tens of billions of people every few years to keep your God-King status isn't exactly justified like, at all.

They had an interesting opportunity to go wildly off script long before Rian Johnson thought of it, but they didn't.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah, Valkorion is just Sith, But Different.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

At least aesthetically they're really cool and different, which the sequels completely and utterly failed at.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

ninjahedgehog posted:

At least aesthetically they're really cool and different, which the sequels completely and utterly failed at.

That just makes them doing nothing but making corridors full of skytroopers even worse imo.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Eimi posted:

That just makes them doing nothing but making corridors full of skytroopers even worse imo.

I'm approaching the end of Trooper, the last Origin I have to take from 1-50, and the constant mentions of Skytroopers has me dreading finally going deeper into the story.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Does anyone know of any relatively up to date guides for playing either of the Vanguard DPS specs? I've never played them before so I'm kind of in the dark but I'd like to pick one up. Neither Vulkk nor Merlyn has anything current for them yet though.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

Mind over Matter posted:

Does anyone know of any relatively up to date guides for playing either of the Vanguard DPS specs? I've never played them before so I'm kind of in the dark but I'd like to pick one up. Neither Vulkk nor Merlyn has anything current for them yet though.

Your best bet is to go to https://parsely.io/parser/leaderboard

And look at what the top few parses are doing for rotation.

And join the theory crafter discord https://discord.com/invite/jqWyBcw

And check the pinned posts for gearing and skill choices

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

As far as guides go most of the classes including VG's actual rotations haven't changed since 6.0. Vanguard has lost the recommended Tactical, but that's because the effect is now base kit. Set bonus went away (which sucks, Meteor Brawler was one of my favorite sets ever), but as far as how to play the old guides are still 90% accurate.

If you want to get into the nitty gritty the Theorycrafters discord is where you'll want to go.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
I just got a giant chunky robot as my best friend, how do people hate the Trooper story

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Ironslave posted:

I just got a giant chunky robot as my best friend, how do people hate the Trooper story
The Trooper story's fine, I think, but it mostly boils down to "do I want to commit war crimes for General Garza or not". It's just not that imaginative - but I'd still rate it considerably higher than the Bounty Hunter's story (although the BH as a character is certainly more entertaining to play).

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Ironslave posted:

Sounds like you’re still in the first act, which has a great hook that most people like quite a bit. It’s only later that it becomes kinda boring, imo

4X owns hard though, probably my favorite companion in the game

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

PATRIOT DROID is the loving best, I love him so much

Top companions off the top of my head are
4X
Kaliyo
Blizz

not necessarily in that order.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

FrostyPox posted:

PATRIOT DROID is the loving best, I love him so much

Top companions off the top of my head are
4X
Kaliyo
Blizz

not necessarily in that order.
I enjoy Guss going "Wheee!".

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i thought trooper was fine but yeah you really gotta go some/mostly dark side to make it interesting. it helps because it's maybe the only story where going dark side is somewhat "justified". don't @ me

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Pryce, something you need to get to your dev team ASAP. Someone on Reddit found a game breaking bug

This is unacceptable.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

cams posted:

i thought trooper was fine but yeah you really gotta go some/mostly dark side to make it interesting. it helps because it's maybe the only story where going dark side is somewhat "justified". don't @ me
I played a 100% following orders, mission comes first kind of guy. Worked pretty well.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Medullah posted:

Pryce, something you need to get to your dev team ASAP. Someone on Reddit found a game breaking bug

This is unacceptable.

Okay firstly I totally agree and if I had known about this I’d personally break some rules and go nudge it myself without permission because my OCD is kicking into overdrive.

But unfortunately I left BioWare last month so this is no longer my problem. :grin:

Much love to you all and to the team I left behind but I desperately needed to leave the industry. It’s just not great for my mental health and I decided to finally prioritize myself and get a job where I’m not having stress dreams and imaginary arguments in my head 24/7.

(Don’t let me derail this thread, just wanted to make sure y’all don’t expect pinging me to work anymore….not that it ever did, arguably :imunfunny:)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Oh hey congrats! On to bigger and better things, I hope. I see a few people have left over the last 6 months or so, hopefully not a bad sign.

I can definitely relate, I've been in software for 10 years now and it can be insanely stressful, but I did retail before so my senses are dulled.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Medullah posted:

Oh hey congrats! On to bigger and better things, I hope. I see a few people have left over the last 6 months or so, hopefully not a bad sign.

I can definitely relate, I've been in software for 10 years now and it can be insanely stressful, but I did retail before so my senses are dulled.

Appreciate it! Hopefully I made it clear that it's not an indictment on the team itself; I love the folks I worked with and many of them were (and still are!) close personal friends. The industry is just the kind of place that chews you up and spits you out and it was taking a toll after 10 years. Starting therapy certainly helped me reach that decision, I highly recommend it to each and every one of you.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Pryce posted:

Okay firstly I totally agree and if I had known about this I’d personally break some rules and go nudge it myself without permission because my OCD is kicking into overdrive.

But unfortunately I left BioWare last month so this is no longer my problem. :grin:

Much love to you all and to the team I left behind but I desperately needed to leave the industry. It’s just not great for my mental health and I decided to finally prioritize myself and get a job where I’m not having stress dreams and imaginary arguments in my head 24/7.

(Don’t let me derail this thread, just wanted to make sure y’all don’t expect pinging me to work anymore….not that it ever did, arguably :imunfunny:)

Hell yeah, friend. Don't wanna wake up at age 60 with a job that burned your soul out and all that. Godspeed and Goonluck

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I just wish you gave us all crane machine GNKs before you left but I am glad you’re happy doing whatever it is you’re doing now

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

hi there, I'm trying out this old mess of a game again and was wondering if referral links are still a thing? I tried the one in the OP as well as another one I found but both were broken.

so if they still are a thing, feel free to share one I guess.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Whizzing Wizard posted:

hi there, I'm trying out this old mess of a game again and was wondering if referral links are still a thing? I tried the one in the OP as well as another one I found but both were broken.

so if they still are a thing, feel free to share one I guess.

Whoops guess I should take that out. No, sadly referrals are a thing of the past.

Edit - Someone should really make a new OP since I barely touch this game anymore.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

are there any good star wars games that are in development?

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Worf posted:

are there any good star wars games that are in development?

Fallen Order is getting a sequel, so that's something to be optimistic about.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Bioware's working on a remake of the original Knights of the Old Republic. Who knows how that will work out.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Aspyr is making that, not Bioware. Massive are making some sort of SW game also

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Bioware's working on a remake of the original Knights of the Old Republic. Who knows how that will work out.

It’s actually Aspyr although most of the team came from BioWare and worked on swtor at some point in their lives since both studios are here in Austin and at this point everyone in Austin has probably worked on SWTOR at one time or another.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
So I just went through all the origins, then went back and played through all of the Sith Warrior story as an Assassin, getting all codex entries, doing every mission, filling out all maps, and collecting all datacrons. Then I made half a billion credits on the GTN selling the greens that dropped while leveling, bought all the strongholds, and started a two-person guild with a friend where I stare wistfully at the cost and time I'd need to invest to unlock the rest of my Flagship.

NOW after six months I'm finally moving on to Illium. I've got the content flowchart, wondering if there are specific segments anyone feels are worth looking forward to. And if it's going to be a pain putting together a group for operations, and if their difficulty would make it not worth trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Is there a way to skip Eternal Throne and Fallen Empire and go straight to Onslaught? I do not want to have to play through those again.