Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
So I played through three of the basic class stories on the F2P side of things, and now I'm considering picking this up once I get paid. Are there any good packs or bundles out there for this or should I just subscribe for a month?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Medullah posted:

If you google SWTOR Origin Bundle there's a 60 day bundle for $30 (same price as regular 60 day bundle) that also includes some cartel coins.

Would that lock me into having to use the Origin Launcher? Would prefer to avoid that if possible, but it would be too good to pass up.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
I really came to like Kaliyo when I realized that she's doing to you what you do to everyone else.

Not being able to abandon or kill companions in the 1-50 story is something many of the stories suffer from in one way or another. I suspect they'd do it differently today, but a lot of it is tied up in the original design having companions be specialized to a role and not wanting to leave you without one, as I understood it.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Arquinsiel posted:

You mean she's being mildly snarky and maybe going off-script around the edges but still essentially doing exactly what she's told?

Kaliyo is a habitual liar who regularly creates new identities and fabricates new stories about who she is and her history as is convenient for her goals. She uses the people around her, playing every angle and refusing to commit to any one until the chips are down. She has no fidelity either to the causes she joins or to the people she partners with, up until she finally sees the Agent is worth a drat.

The Agent does all these things. Maybe a specific playthrough doesn't do all of them (maybe your agent isn't sleeping with every character they come across like a space James Bond), and maybe a specific player feels that their loyalties are more solid, but most of them are stuff all players engage in--the cover identities, feigning investment in a faction, playing both sides up until you're forced to make a choice. Kaliyo does to them what they are doing to everyone else, and she's suddenly the worst person ever. She is a mirror that many players refuse to look into.

Honestly there's also a lot that can be said about several of the Imperial Agent's companions. It's a storyline that grasps the kind of story it's trying to tell--a spy story--and does a lot of thematic reinforcement of that via its elements, with identity and loyalty the two it explores the most.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
I can only speak for the 1-50 story, not for Makeb or anything past that. I've not played any of the origins beyond Chapter 3, primarily because I've been told they all become the same story with a few different lines of dialogue and that doesn't interest me as much and also seems like it'd make a few of the more character-driven stories get weird. The way I've had is described is needing to consider the post 1-50 story as the TOR story while the 1-50 is the class story, but I can't yet say how accurate that is.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Arquinsiel posted:

I rather like Qyzen. He's pretty happy to explain how his worldview works and while it's obviously the kind of thing that should be abhorrent to a Jedi he seems like an alright guy within that framework.

It's a neat preview of some of what you end up dealing with as a Consular. I don't think it commits fully to it, but you can see what it was intending and trying to be.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
I thought the Jedi Consular story was pretty neat in the way it offered you chances to compromise on what the moral thing to do is in favor of the idea of what might be right from a utilitarian perspective, which is an important perspective to have as someone who is ostensibly working to preserve the Republic itself. It made the idea of the main character falling closer to the dark side more believable and understandable than it often is in these stories.

It just also has Nolan North giving the blandest line read of his entire career if you played male.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Eimi posted:

That just makes them doing nothing but making corridors full of skytroopers even worse imo.

I'm approaching the end of Trooper, the last Origin I have to take from 1-50, and the constant mentions of Skytroopers has me dreading finally going deeper into the story.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
I just got a giant chunky robot as my best friend, how do people hate the Trooper story

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Worf posted:

are there any good star wars games that are in development?

Fallen Order is getting a sequel, so that's something to be optimistic about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
So I just went through all the origins, then went back and played through all of the Sith Warrior story as an Assassin, getting all codex entries, doing every mission, filling out all maps, and collecting all datacrons. Then I made half a billion credits on the GTN selling the greens that dropped while leveling, bought all the strongholds, and started a two-person guild with a friend where I stare wistfully at the cost and time I'd need to invest to unlock the rest of my Flagship.

NOW after six months I'm finally moving on to Illium. I've got the content flowchart, wondering if there are specific segments anyone feels are worth looking forward to. And if it's going to be a pain putting together a group for operations, and if their difficulty would make it not worth trying.