Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Wait, Alex actually coded P&W? For some reason I thought he outsourced it and did no actual work himself. Because that's how most of the things feel. Like he handed each update/part of the game to a random person on fiver who was just churning out a normal website that met specs without knowing it was for a game. And that person had no concept of security or best practices and every concept of "deliver for the ignorant person underpaying me on fiver".

It also seems this way because there are never code updates, which is what you'd expect if the person running it didn't code it. I don't see how he can dump so much time into managing the game but not take 5 minutes to fix slow queries or blatant security holes like "uses a char/varchar field instead of the id".

btw using display names instead of ids, especially when you allow names to change and have ids already, is not something anyone ever does

Khorne fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Feb 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

For Whales is the Kingdom

For Whales is
Microtransactions is
For Wales is the

This is the way the string based browser game ends
Not with a bang but with a goatse.

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

Zetsubou-san posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. ITS HOW TO PROGRAM IN PHP AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MISTAKES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, ALEX. I DO EVERY MISTAKE AND I DO EVERY MISTAKE HARD. MAKING WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I STORE NUMBERS AS STRINGS OR EVEN WHEN I CODE BAD TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ADMIN THE STATES MOST INEPT FORUM. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN THE LASER TAG ZONE AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN LASER TAG ZONE CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE FUNCTIONS AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNIng

:five:

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Alex also doesn’t know how to look up things that should have been logged easily, I don’t think he knows more than real basic stuff.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Alex also doesn’t know how to look up things that should have been logged easily, I don’t think he knows more than real basic stuff.

He's a dumb college student who taught himself to code out of spite when he got banned from cybernations as a kid just so he could make his own game, of course he doesn't know poo poo.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

CyberNations II: Electric Boogaloo.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

I taught myself to code and I know better than this, so that's not an excuse.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
I'm not sure editing a LAMP deployment counts as Alex learning to code lol

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I just started this game because I used to play that Nationstates game a lot. Did goons just kill it or did they kill themselves I can't tell.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

sexpig by night posted:

I just started this game because I used to play that Nationstates game a lot. Did goons just kill it or did they kill themselves I can't tell.

Both, actually.

The Goons were playing the game so well that the game's creator-admin pulled the rug out from under them by banning their giant wealthy allies for trumped up cheating charges (for things that were ruled fine by said admin a month ago).

Then Goons gave their entire bank to a rando and started mass deleting.

Anyways, on that note: Thanks guys, it was fun!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lux Animus posted:

Both, actually.

The Goons were playing the game so well that the game's creator-admin pulled the rug out from under them by banning their giant wealthy allies for trumped up cheating charges (for things that were ruled fine by said admin a month ago).

Then Goons gave their entire bank to a rando and started mass deleting.

Anyways, on that note: Thanks guys, it was fun!

power move

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Sometimes Goons win, sometimes the Games win. C'est la vie.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Libluini posted:

I count killing the game itself as a cultural victory.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Libluini posted:

Sometimes the admins take their ball and go home.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Still amazed that Alex managed to find the one solution that left everyone unhappy and kept the nazis in his game

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Finally, Adolf H. Felhaber of the nation “The Fourth Deutches Reich” can watch their numbers go up without the fear of persecution for being a Nazi.

At last, Nokia will be able to share NSFW discord channels with minors without screwing up a real business deal that really exists.

Minty
May 3, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Recoome posted:

Finally, Adolf H. Felhaber of the nation “The Fourth Deutches Reich” can watch their numbers go up without the fear of persecution for being a Nazi.

At last, Nokia will be able to share NSFW discord channels with minors without screwing up a real business deal that really exists.

I mean that's the official reason we destroyed the coal mines

but he was totally grooming children

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
*an obvious pedophile lures in and grooms children for sexual purposes*

Alex: "Cool and good"

*Some guy buys a friend a copy of Quake 3*

*Alarms start blaring as Alex leaps down the fireman's pole in his office, but snags his pants on a loose nail and atomic wedgies himself*

Boron_the_Moron
Apr 28, 2013

Lux Animus posted:

Then Goons gave their entire bank to a rando

This was an accident, by the way.

Which is perfect, honestly. The only people who could give GOONS the death it deserved, were Goons themselves.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
DNFJ heroically saved us from playing the game

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
(I'm still playing though)

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

And now the discord server has turned into a hub for all of us to play fun multiplayer games with each other until the next nation sim rolls around.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
GG all. Goons lost. gently caress the devs. Someone invite 4chan to that mess to poo poo things up since it seems like right up their alley.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Danaru posted:

*an obvious pedophile lures in and grooms children for sexual purposes*

Alex: "Cool and good"

*Some guy buys a friend a copy of Quake 3*

*Alarms start blaring as Alex leaps down the fireman's pole in his office, but snags his pants on a loose nail and atomic wedgies himself*

seems like a cool game

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Xelkelvos posted:

GG all. Goons lost. gently caress the devs. Someone invite 4chan to that mess to poo poo things up since it seems like right up their alley.

Unfortunately, modern 4chan is a cesspool of alt-right fuckheads and they're very into """ironic""" nazism, lolicon, etc.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

The coal mines is a goon affiliate. I vmed for a year so assuming I dont get banned ill login maybe in like 11 months and renew VM.
:madmax:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
is Bird Weed, because so far they're the only banner ads I've seen that don't make me want to loving kill myself.

If I see one more "BRAVERY. LOYALTY. HONOR" with a knight or soldier I'm gonna lose it

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Someone bought a banner ad for their youtube channel featuring them as gaia online avatars and that got a gut laugh out of me because someone saw P&W and said "yes this is a demographic I want"

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Deleted my nation, no one’s getting the treasure I took until it resets.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I was going to delete my nation as soon as my wars expired (you can't delete during an ongoing war), but it looks like I was hit with a 30-day ban for "Creating multiple nations"? Which is confusing, because I definitely didn't do that, and now I need to wait 30 days to delete my nation. I'd need to create a forum account to appeal, and screw that.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Ditocoaf posted:

I was going to delete my nation as soon as my wars expired (you can't delete during an ongoing war), but it looks like I was hit with a 30-day ban for "Creating multiple nations"? Which is confusing, because I definitely didn't do that, and now I need to wait 30 days to delete my nation. I'd need to create a forum account to appeal, and screw that.

I deleted during a war just fine.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Unable to delete your info because you are banned? Wouldn't that go against some sort of privacy law?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Thank you for posting in this thread.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ineptitude posted:

Unable to delete your info because you are banned? Wouldn't that go against some sort of privacy law?

Extremely so.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
i'm free

It only took him 2 days to work out the maze.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Ditocoaf posted:

You're telling me Alex is extremely incompetent?

No way.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

We’re currently looking for less terrible browser games to ruin (hopefully without having to involve reporting the admins for defrauding google).

We’ve got one pretty strong candidate, come on into the discord if you want to try. We’re not going to let one spoiled 20 year old from Montana ruin this community we built

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
A reminder that Alex is a spoiled rich white mormon kid who taught himself how to code after being banned from Cybernations. His only other two accomplishments are making some very basic websites for two small town stores, websites that could have been made better on Wix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
If this is what happens if you teach yourself programming, I'm suddenly glad that I learned programming via courses in school/university