Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Wow did the league make Torres cut his hair off in penance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
hell yeah timbs let's shithouse our way to a win somehow wooo

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Well holy loving poo poo how about that

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

shirts and skins posted:

Welcome to the hell of feeling your hope die while watching Morris doof every first touch 10 feet farther than he should

SAY WHAT NOW?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

shirts and skins posted:

Welcome to the hell of feeling your hope die while watching Morris doof every first touch 10 feet farther than he should

I mean, I knew that the Rapids had a snowball's chance in hell of squeaking into the playoffs, but I can still hope.

DR AIDS
Nov 4, 2008

No shits will be given
gently caress YOU San Jose you cunts

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

whypick1 posted:

SAY WHAT NOW?

Delighted to be wrong.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Ahahahaha Galaxy what are you doing?

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

lmao Galaxy

:bisonyes:

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Ibra is just thinking about where to live in Buenos Aires

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Get hosed Earthquakes, you'll always be a Kinnear team at heart

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

shirts and skins posted:

Get hosed Earthquakes, you'll always be a Kinnear team at heart

I don't know what that means, but it's funny to me because there's a town ten minutes from me that's called Kinnear.

Also: ae98utop4ktjf es;g97pw8tuq3095u we]rpgosd ofig wp35out hwer978fgy9845 tr.34,wktgs'dgbvdfsgbfgbndfhndfbfbsdb

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

LOL @ the Galaxy
LOL @ the Quakes
LOL @ the Unions

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

That was a lot of fun to have the split screen going for those last couple of games.

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone else have the munchies?
Thank you FC Dallas, San Jose, Sporting and Portland. The Rapids are still alive somehow.

Star Man posted:

I mean, I knew that the Rapids had a snowball's chance in hell of squeaking into the playoffs, but I can still hope.

Hell yeah I’m still hoping.

TheBoyBlunder fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Sep 30, 2019

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

From my very limited understanding, ESPN is doing decision day next week.
If I had to guess, broadcast is either going Seattle-Minnesota or Portland-San Jose since the east is pretty much locked

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

TwoStepBoog posted:

From my very limited understanding, ESPN is doing decision day next week.
If I had to guess, broadcast is either going Seattle-Minnesota or Portland-San Jose since the east is pretty much locked

Guess we’re watching two games at once next Sunday in Denver.

Robin Fraser is now 5–0-1 with the Rapids. Why the gently caress did they hire Anthony Hudson in the first place? Hudson had 8 wins in 2 years and 2 months.

TheBoyBlunder fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 30, 2019

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

TheBoyBlunder posted:

Hell yeah I'm still hoping.

I mean, beating LAFC in LA is going to be a real hard fight.

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

https://twitter.com/TaylorTwellman/status/1178488820809043968?s=20

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Star Man posted:

I mean, beating LAFC in LA is going to be a real hard fight.

Oh of course. And that’s where the fun probably stops.

But for now...:allears:

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Orlando is out of the playoffs, have still never made the playoffs, and are the only team in MLS that have existed for more than a year without doing so.

This is important to me.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Orlando is out of the playoffs, have still never made the playoffs, and are the only team in MLS that have existed for more than a year without doing so.

This is important to me.

I'm thinking of lifting my curse in two years, thoughts?

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Edward Mass posted:

I'm thinking of lifting my curse in two years, thoughts?

Aren’t you busy that day?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Aren’t you busy that day?

I may have hate in my heart, but I am a man of my word - I cursed Orlando City, so that they may never lift a trophy or make the Cup playoffs until an MLS match is played in Austin. I cursed them way back in 2013, and the dynamic has changed in ways only I foresaw. I figure, in order to do right by the Soccer Gods, I must lift my curse for the Oaks to succeed. Karma, or something.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Well, instead of all that, how about you do none of those things and Orlando suffers until it sinks into the sea

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I don't think we have to wait too long for that.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Yeah, that's the right call. Winner gets a playoff berth, although if the loser is Portland they also get in if Dallas doesn't win. San Jose needs the points a lot more, and will be pushing hard.

The Seattle/Minnesota one is just for figuring out where the two teams end up between 2nd and 5th. Both would get a home playoff game with a tie, so I don't know how much urgency either will have.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

binge crotching posted:

Yeah, that's the right call. Winner gets a playoff berth, although if the loser is Portland they also get in if Dallas doesn't win. San Jose needs the points a lot more, and will be pushing hard.

The Seattle/Minnesota one is just for figuring out where the two teams end up between 2nd and 5th. Both would get a home playoff game with a tie, so I don't know how much urgency either will have.

Did the playoff format change? I thought the 2 seed came with a bye. That'd be important to play for.

In any case, I agree that a play in match is more important than a seeding fight.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

shirts and skins posted:

Did the playoff format change? I thought the 2 seed came with a bye. That'd be important to play for.

In any case, I agree that a play in match is more important than a seeding fight.

Changed this year, yeah. Only the top seed gets a bye now, 2 through 4 get the first round game at home vs 7 through 5.

Also:

TwoStepBoog posted:

lmao Galaxy

:bisonyes:

Team Nothing To Play For has just MADE MY WEEK.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Dallan Invictus posted:

Changed this year, yeah. Only the top seed gets a bye now, 2 through 4 get the first round game at home vs 7 through 5.

2 seed is still pretty important for the second home match though.

Also, somehow the first tie breaker for MLS is wins and not goal difference so Galaxy can still get the 2 seed with a win and Sea/Min draw and RSL would pass the Sea/Min loser for the last home slot if they win. Basically, either the loser of that game is probably going to get mega-hosed by the dumb tiebreak rules or they'll both be screwed by a draw making them play at the two LA teams in the second round.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Alright motherfuckers, tomorrow is Decision Day (or as we like to call it, "D-Day", a totally original name), and I've had a bunch of time on my hands because I have been unemployed for the past two weeks, so y'all are getting a loving effortpost.

All games kick off at 4PM EST/1PM PST (who knows if that's the actual kick off time; I'd guess not). The only national (:usa:) game will be San Jose at Portland on ESPN, as it is the only game this weekend with any Serious Implications for the playoffs. All other games will be on ESPN+, including a whip-around show covering all 12 games.

Below is where each team stands in their conference, who they're playing against, best and worst seeds they can accomplish and any sort of clinching scenarios in play.

code:
EAST
-------------1ST ROUND BYE--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NYC (@PHI) - H: 01, L: 01 - Locked at #1.
-------------1ST ROUND HOME GAME--------------------------------------------------------------------------
ATL (vNER) - H: 02, L: 03 - Clinch #2 with W, D and PHI D, PHI L.
PHI (vNYC) - H: 02, L: 03 - Clinch #2 seed with W and ATL L/D, D and ATL L.
DCU (vCIN) - H: 04, L: 06 - Clinch #4 with W, D and NYR L/D and TOR L/D, NYR L and TOR L/D.
-------------1ST ROUND AWAY GAME--------------------------------------------------------------------------
NYR (@MTL) - H: 04, L: 06 - Clinch #4 with W and DCU L/D.
TOR (vCLB) - H: 04, L: 06 - Clinch #4 with W and DCU L/D and NYR L/D.
NER (@ATL) - H: 07, L: 07 - Locked at #7.
-------------WATCHING FROM HOME---------------------------------------------------------------------------
CHI (@ORL) - H: 08, L: 09 - Eliminated.
MTL (vNYR) - H: 08, L: 11 - Eliminated.
CLB (@TOR) - H: 08, L: 11 - Eliminated.
ORL (vCHI) - H: 08, L: 11 - Eliminated.
CIN (@DCU) - H: 12, L: 12 - Eliminated.

WEST
-------------1ST ROUND BYE--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LAF (vCOL) - H: 01, L: 01 - Locked at #1.
-------------1ST ROUND HOME GAME--------------------------------------------------------------------------
MIN (@SEA) - H: 02, L: 05 - Clinch #2 with W, D and LAG L/D. Clinch a home game with RSL L/D, LAG L/D.
SEA (vMIN) - H: 02, L: 05 - Clinch #2 with W. Clinch a home game with RSL L/D, LAG L/D.
LAG (@HOU) - H: 02, L: 05 - Clinch #2 with W and MIN-SEA D. Clinch a home game with W or RSL L/D.
-------------1ST ROUND AWAY GAME--------------------------------------------------------------------------
RSL (@VAN) - H: 03, L: 05 - Clinch a home game with W and LAG L/D, W and MIN-SEA has a winner.
POR (vSJE) - H: 06, L: 08 - Clinch playoffs with W/D, DAL L/D.
DAL (vSKC) - H: 06, L: 09 - Clinch playoffs with W, D and SJE L/D, SJE L and COL L/D.
-------------WATCHING FROM HOME---------------------------------------------------------------------------
SJE (@POR) - H: 06, L: 09 - Clinch playoffs with W, D and DAL L and COL does not win by 2 goals.
COL (@LAF) - H: 07, L: 09 - Clinch playoffs with W and DAL L and SJE L, W by 2+ goals and DAL L and SJE D.
SKC (@DAL) - H: 10, L: 11 - Eliminated.
HOU (vLAG) - H: 10, L: 11 - Eliminated.
VAN (vRSL) - H: 12, L: 12 - Eliminated.
Also in play are rear end-kickings by LigaMX teams next year CONCACAF Champions League and Leagues Cup berths.

CCL: The last at-large spot is for the MLS Cup winner, but if LAFC (SS winner), NYCFC (the other #1 seed) or Atlanta (USOC winner) win MLS Cup, then it goes by Supporter's Shield ranking. That potential spot will go to one of:

PHI - W, D and SEA W by less than 7 goals, MIN-SEA D
MIN - W and PHI L/D
SEA - W and PHI L, W by 7 or more goals and PHI D

Leagues Cup: The 4 highest ranked teams in each conference who haven't qualified for CCL qualify for this one. Yay.

So, let's watch some soccer. Let's see if LAFC sets the points record (most likely), if Vela sets the goal record (probably, although I can convince myself that Zlatan will score 5 to take it away from him), if Colorado somehow makes it in after starting the season 0-9-2 (I want this to happen because MAXIMUM CHAOS but it would also mean Portland gets in, which....ewwwwwww).

And I guess there's some stuff happening in the East too, idk. :shrug:

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Gonna come back and read all of that in a bit, but I did see something this week on Twitter about kick being 1:20ish to align with the ESPN broadcast.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
After Portland making GBS threads the bed in Vancouver a few years back I cant wait for them to do the same today 8n real life.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

That's a really nice : effort: post, but shouldn't it be in the October thread?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

The Bung Piepit › MLS September/Decision Day MDT: The Wings have Won the Shield

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Yeah, making an MDT for one (1) regular season day would be pointless.

Draft draft coming up in 7 minutes!

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I guess I assumed the October thread would be all the October games, but you're doing a playoff one?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

binge crotching posted:

I guess I assumed the October thread would be all the October games, but you're doing a playoff one?

That's usually how it goes.

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Nothing like having to crowd into a bar to watch an illegal stream of your home team because billionaires are busy fighting with each other. :argh:

At least the Rapids are going into today with a chance at the playoffs. I’ll take it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

This broadcast said kickoff in 9 minutes.