Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Gonna start with when and why I got my Scirocco since I dont think Ive ever told the whole story of my favorite car in the entire world. Ive wanted a Scirocco forever. Most of my gearheadery in the beginning was with 60-70s American muscle cars, way too much American cars bro!, gently caress them furrin cars! and I never really looked that hard for a Rocco until I got into TDIs. Then in 2005 I got a 99 Beetle with one. In late 2006 I had just put a gently caress ton of work into it, nozzles, bigger turbo and some supporting mods like a bigger oil cooler, suspension work, stuff like that and the day before I was going to get it tuned on a dyno I pulled out in front of a 4Runner that I didnt see coming from the left and completely totaled the car.

Before

It even broke my drat wheel

At the time I was working at an engineering company and one of the systems engineers was a huge VW guy. His baby was a VR6 Coraddo but he daily drove a totally stock though high mileage 87 Scirocco. One of the other engineers I worked with had bought it new in 87 so I knew both of the people that owned it and they both took good care of it. Right after I wrecked the Beetle a fuel line exploded on the Scirocco and the guy just wanted to get rid of it since a lot of little things kept breaking and he finally got sick of it. I went to check it out and it needed a ton of catch up mechanical work but it was totally rust free and the interior was mint. $300 and it was mine. I had planned on putting the TDI from my derelict Beetle into it. The first time I drove it I said "man, this is a huge piece of poo poo" but I a had a huge smile on my face, regardless. This is what it looked like

There was a picture of my friend in there too. I cant believe that someone that was part of my life for so long is gone. Its been a little more than a year and it still hurts so bad. I miss her so much, gently caress

I went through it and fixed everything it needed and did all the maintainence like all new hoses, belts, timing belt, water pump, tune up, etc.

All new brakes, front suspension including bushings, A-arms and ball joints, H&R/Bilstein Sports

Getting the rear shocks off was the first time I had it where it was the majorist of a fucker suckfest where the bolt seized to the metal in the rubber bushing. I ended up having to buy a sawzall and cutting the bottom mount open but not before putting every impact/breaker bar, 20 foot pipe I could on it with zero amounts of success for HOURS. They were the original shocks and I got the car with 235k miles on it so they were fuckin welded to that collar. It looked like Uncle Bucks car going down the highway.

The most important mod was the Euro spec bumpers though. I got one of the last like 2 brand new sets that existed at time and Im so happy I did.

After that it ran freaking great despite the mileage. The oil never even got dark between oil changes since the engine was in such great shape. I talked to both the guys and it still had the original clutch in it too. In fact it still does to this day 13 years later. I decided not to do the TDI swap yet since the 8V was worth keeping for a while. As much as I loved my job since I got to play with space parts working in an office was driving me crazy. I was also working at the same company that my mom worked for for decades and everyone knew her and it was a daily reminder that she was gone and I missed her a lot. Before she got sick we had both talked about moving to Florida and I still wanted to do that so I quit that job, sold the Beetle and moved south. The TDI swap was way off the radar now and would be for more than a decade.

So thats the beginning of Charlies story. Ive been going through my old external hd to put together all the pictures and there is a lot more to come leading up to where I am now on it. Hopefully by the time I catch up it will be at a cool fun part so thats what I will work for. Ive been kinda slacking on car stuff due to burnout and I just got done putting a clutch in my friends shitbox Hyundai. That kinda took the wind out of my car sails along with getting back into one of my other hobbies pretty heavily to get away from cars for a while. Now that the Hyundai is out of my hair Ill probably get back to it this week some especially after I get a video camera I ordered the other day for some inspiration.

So this is what stranded the Hyundai, the loving throwout bearing is half plastic and it just got loving pancaked. The actual clutch was ok and I could have gotten away with just the tb but I mean thats dumb since its 4 minutes more to swap the disc and plate. Also Hyundais dont have a pilot bearing so wrestling the trans back on was pretty easy. The whole job wasnt all that bad since all I had to do was slide the trans over between the body and subframe and didnt have to remove it from the car at all. Only pics I got of were the shredded TB

Look at this plastic piece of poo poo what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

TDI and Scirocco content in the same thread, hell yeah!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I like where this thread is going.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Ground floor... Good to see you posting again.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

The Scirocco is a sexy, sexy car. Can't wait to see it eventually get TDI power.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

That's some roller coaster action in an OP. Proceed.

This may be the best thread.

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

I'm a TDI guy, but I'm glad you didn't do the swap. The scirocco is a masterpiece

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
gently caress yea new thread! TDIs and roccos' own

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

The TDI part is quite a ways out right now though over the years I've collected probably 85% of the parts I need like the donor engine with all the harnesses, a cable shifter swap, 11mm pump, clutch that's good for 350ftlbs which I will be real close to, Garrett GT2052 and the manifold for it, PD150 intake and race pipe, intercooler/piping/couplers/clamps. Little stuff such as the connecter to repin the injection pump harness, oil press, oil temp, water temp, pyro and boost gauges, manual boost controller (for now).

Big things left are rods and pistons, head porting, the biggest cam they make and whatever injector nozzles I'll need to make use of all the air that will be passing through. Also going to need an LSD and a ring gear bolt kit.

I should be able to build the diesel over the winter then pickle it until the 8V explodes or I get tired of it.

One thing I did recently was take the wheels in 5mm from where they were. My Panasports are 15s with 215/60s on them and it was scraping so bad all the time. It came with 13s and the 16Vs were 14s so 15s are kinda big on it. I got the panas off eBay and they came off a Civic. First thing I had to do was get the center bored out to fit the VW hub and the backspacing was way off so I had to get spacers. I didn't bother measuring cause I was young and stupid and got 20mm. It did look totally awesome with the wider track but not enough to ignore all the scraping. I finally got 15mm ones and they're perfect. Still looks boss and no rubbing. Panasports are my dream wheels so Id do whatever it takes to make them fit. New ones are wicked expensive. If they ever start peeling or looking bad I want to get them redone with black barrels and gold spokes.

Front before

And after

Rear

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Repinning won't take much. I recall only having to move 3 pins to adapt my 11mm ALH pump to my AHU wiring, so vice versa should be about the same.

Bosio 520s or 764s are a good starting point nozzle wise.

Do you plan to swap in a TDI transmisison?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Yea I have the trans from the donor car, 98 Jetta. I think I am going to go with the DLC764s, the setup should be able to move enough air so it won't smoke too much. I know rocketchip Jeff pretty well so I'm probably going to have him do the tune and talk to him before making final decisions.

A few years back some people were modding the QA window to get more timing and power on the top end to like 5k and if that did end up paying off I want to do that too.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

shy boy from chess club posted:

A few years back some people were modding the QA window to get more timing and power on the top end to like 5k and if that did end up paying off I want to do that too.

If you are using the 98 tranny, you are going to want a taller 5th gear. Honestly, I don't see much reason to try to get to 5k, peak HP is around 3700-4200, and that window isn't moving too much. Theoretically, if you are looking at the 5k window, that's 250-300HP territory, and that means block girdle and other things, and possibly moving to a 12mm pump.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 5, 2019

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

For sure going to get the better overdrive but it's pretty low priority for now. I'm not sure the 5K rpm experiment was successful I just remember Jeff and a couple other people discussing it and hadn't heard about it in a long time. I think it was the greasecar race car they were trying it on. Also the engine from my Beetle went to the greasecar team, not sure if it's still alive but I was glad my Beetle at least died for a good cause.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Got an effort post in the works but I've been busy as poo poo. If you are a lawn enthusiast these pictures will be exciting

Yeah that's the stuff, have some more

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I can only endure so much edging....

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I just can't get enough and I'm so worn out

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Well I still haven't worked on the Rocco in way too long, sucks. Only thing I've done in all this time was swap a better quick release for the steering wheel. The first one was a bad design and I didn't feel like it was safe. I didn't take pictures either but I will for the next Scirocco update.

I've been crossing some jobs off the list for the Outback since I last posted. Replaced the timing belt tensioner cause it was doing weird stuff that went away after. Glad I did cause it would have sucked rear end if it failed completely.

I replaced the entire loving exhaust cause I'm so sick of messing with Subaru exhausts constantly. The glass pack I put on last time fell off and that was it, time for scorched Earth. There was a new in box UEL stainless header in the car when I got it so I put that on, 2 brand new cats which turned out to be the nicest cats I've ever seen. Got them off eBay but they came in a nice box, are made of thick metal with a nice gray paint job. The flanges are twice as thick as they need to be and they fit great. Then I got a complete stock cat back made by Mac which also was quality. I've used their stuff a bunch of times and it always fits well. Oh yeah the cats were made by Evan Fischer or that's what was on the box at least. Everything fits fuckin great, no rattles or leaks and it's quiet but you can definitely tell it has a header. I love it and I hope I don't have to mess with it for a least a few years.

I also did the rear sway bar everything and got rid of a lot of annoying sounds.

Right now I'm working on the steering rack. It's needed an inner tie rod since I got it and both the boots on the rack have been falling apart all this time. Recently it started leaking pretty bad and it was getting notchy while turning the wheel. I'd been collecting parts for another scorched Earth job so I got the rack and have new poly bushings for it, new outer tie rods (it came with new inners), and all new hoses. I also have new everything for the front sway bar. I've been working on it all week because I can't just leave poo poo alone so I've been cleaning and rust preventing everything I can get to in the subframe. Cleaning all the brackets and bolts and I'll paint everything when I'm done cleaning.

Some pics

I think red makes the sway bar work at peak performance

Still cleaning brackets and stuff, haven't picked a color yet. I have to go to tractor supply for hardware and I'll stare at the paint until some color speaks to me

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I always love your posting and this is one of my favourite goon cars.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Do gold, go full Iron Man

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Powershift posted:

Do gold, go full Iron Man

If they have it I'm going to do that. I think you meant go fully rally tho for this high performance rally car. Subarus just need a little gold here and there to realize their full rally potential. I'v been eyeing the gold tape I've seen on other builds as well so I need to need that for something.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I always love your posting and this is one of my favourite goon cars.

Thanks! I've spent at least 10 times if not a lot more on parts for this car than I paid for it. It's the best $200 DD I've ever had. Not sure exactly what it is but I just love this car. It was pretty derelict from sitting forever before I got it so maybe it's the orphaned puppy thing.

Now that I've got some big stuff out of the way last night I ordered all new gaskets for the roof rails. Almost all since the left rear doesn't exist anywhere for some drat reason so I got 2 rights and maybe I can make that work or hope the one that's there is in ok condition.

Oh yeah I put new radiator hoses and coolant in when I did the tensioner too including the trans cooler ones. A few less things to worry about on road trips. My rockauto closeout part stash is getting pretty small.

I just got everything to do the rear struts so whenever there's a deal for the fronts I'll get those too. The struts that are on it now are pretty good still so I'm thinking about putting lift spacers on them and lowering springs on the new set. H&R makes 2 inch drop ones so I'd put those on in the summer with the 17s and put the lift ones on in the winter with the stock wheels and snow tires.

I was also thinking about getting the cheap maxspeed coilovers off eBay for the summer. Has anyone tried them and are they super lovely? They're only like 200-250 bucks so I might try them. It'd be cool to lower it exactly how I like it with the tire centered in the wheel well and not too slammed. If they suck too much I could probably sell them pretty easy here in Subaruland.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

So I haven't gotten any farther on Dave besides a few more coats of red on the sway bar since it dropped to 1 degree Kelvin Thursday night. I really didn't want to work out in it and I couldn't really paint at that temperature. No way I'm reassembling it without painting after I did all that prep work.

Really thinking about putting the Scirocco back in the house garage for a little while and free up the shop. I hate to do that and lose momentum on it but I'm kinda at that point right now anyway. If I did I could get some projects out of the way and there's stuff I can do without it being in the shop.

I want to do some porting and oil control grinding on the head and then reassemble it. I've got HD valve springs and titanium retainers for it and shims to do the lash as well. I figure if the turbo ends up being a turd I can ditch it and the head will be ready for a big cam and high rpm. I don't think the turbo will be that great with the primitive carb and distributor with limited fuel and timing control.

I also have to cut the throttle bracket off the valve cover and weld it on in a different spot for the Weber. Then sandblast and paint it. The oil pan needs work as well. I have to put a fitting on it for the turbo drain and I want to see if it has any baffling in it and add some if it doesn't. I want to do autocross and road racing with it eventually so I have to make sure it doesn't starve. I want it to last as long as possible so I can get the TDI done.

I've collected all the parts I need to put in the LQ9 cam I got from Boaz besides the gaskets. I also may do the timing chain too while it's apart but if I do that I have to get an updated timing cover since the new sprocket is different and won't work with mine. It adds a lot of cost to the job though that may be worth it while it's apart. Only reason I hesitate is that it only has 93k miles on it so if there's no slack in the chain it stays for now. I spent a good amount of money to replace everything, new lifters, pushrods, roller tip rockers, better springs, 3/8 studs and alignment plates since these are not self aligning. Depends on how much the job blows too, if it sucks I'll do the new chain. I came across a post somewhere that the cam is worth around 40hp and maybe the roller rockers will free up a little too. 50 more hp would be a nice upgrade. I'll get it tuned some day too.

While it's apart I want to install the trans cooler I got from Suburban Dad. Also do the fluid and filter plus I got a Corvette servo to put in for quicker shifting. I have a trans temp gauge that also needs to go in so with those upgrades I should be good towing my trailer all summer.

Once I get all that done I can bring the Scirocco back in and get some work done. Just now I spent a couple hours organizing stuff in the shop. Found stuff I forgot I had and labeled all my boxes. I couldn't find the cam and finally got fed up looking through all my boxes to find poo poo.

Only got one pic today but it's cool stuff

Tomorrow is supposed to be slightly warmer so if I can get the Outback finished I'll be stoked. I also ordered snow tires, $287 for 4 from tire rack. $100 for mount and balancing at the place I use so less than $400 for a set of snows is ok in my book. The wheels look terrible so I have to do something about that, plastidip or just regular spray paint for now. Next year I'll get them sandblasted and powder coated since I won't have time this year.

That was a lot of boring poo poo so here's a picture of Scout

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Well both of my ancient cans of white paint for the subframe were hosed and I knew I should have gotten a new one last time at the parts store. So I had a bunch of yellow from trying to match my Hustlers and one was fresh. It's tractor supply implement which is great. Originally I had planned to just do the spots with the rust converter on it but I couldn't leave it like that so now it's all yellow and I kinda like it. Don't even need neons for underglow on my ride

The steering rack was black and sucky looking so it had to go. The rebuilder just painted over rust and grease as well so it looked not great. Also one of the fittings on a transfer pipe was leaking and it hasn't seen pressure yet. I took it apart and cleaned it and made sure the oring looked ok. Not all that confident in the refurb so far but as soon as I send my core back I get a lifetime warranty on it. I'll be mad that I have to do the work again if it leaks but at least everything will come apart easy and the cleaning has been done. I'd replace the pipe but it's not a flare it's a oring seal. I had some silver caliper paint so I blasted that on it.

Neither part store had gold paint so I found Detroit Diesel Alpine green. It's such a great color and I'm going to use it on the Scirocco valve cover too. I used it on the brackets and they look frickin sweet.

I wish I got a pic of the finished sway bar but it's the cats pajamas too.

So I've had a small oil leak for a while now and its been bothering me since the first thing I did on this car was pull the engine and regasket the whole thing and replace the plastic pcv cover behind the flywheel with a metal one. The only seals I didn't replace were the cams since taking the pulleys off is a poo poo sprinkler of a job, gently caress those cam bolts. I was worried it was that but they were totally dry when I could see them doing the timing belt tensioner. Since I cleaned the subframe I could finally see it was coming from the rear of the rh valve cover. Fuckin sweet since that's an easy job to add rtv at the corners.

So yea still not done after working on it all day. My friends Hyundai needed a thermostat so I did that along with flushing the coolant so that took some time too. I also still have some brackets to clean and paint, all the hardware wire-wheeled and threads chased. Excited to get it back together after all that.

Picking up my new tires tomorrow too so I need to find another cool color for the wheels and get that done while the old tires are still on them.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Neither part store had gold paint so I found Detroit Diesel Alpine green. It's such a great color and I'm going to use it on the Scirocco valve cover too. I used it on the brackets and they look frickin sweet.

They'll drip oil now.

If you ever worked on a DD, you'll understand.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

sharkytm posted:

They'll drip oil now.

If you ever worked on a DD, you'll understand.

For sure. I may not fix that valve cover for consistency

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I painted the front jack plate on my '03 Impreza bright green so I could more easily see it in a dark garage, since I only have ceiling lighting.

Probably the best drat thing I ever did for maintenance.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

That's a great idea, I actually have a neon green can so hopefully it works. I was looking at it today wondering where to use it. I think it might be the one that I painted my Rx7 intake with 20 years ago and I hope it is and it works as a small homage to my old dorito brap factory.

Going to try to get the effort post up this week. I've got some pretty good time into it and lots of pictures. Just trying to figure out what's relevant/interesting and trying to remember anything interesting as well. A lot happens in 13 years.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I would love to buy a used car only to find it's like a harlequin golf underneath.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You could have gone orange on the clamps for a different kind of iron man.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Suburban Dad posted:

I would love to buy a used car only to find it's like a harlequin golf underneath.

Sometimes we sign the inside of parts before we put them on with a little message to future generations who will likely never see them.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sometimes we sign the inside of parts before we put them on with a little message to future generations who will likely never see them.

"sorry" with an arrow to a weld where a bolt should be.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

"lol owned!" On top of gas tanks with no access panel that you have to drop like a cave man gently caress you GM suck my balls

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

"lol owned!" On top of gas tanks with no access panel that you have to drop like a cave man gently caress you GM suck my balls

Hah, make a fake access pannel with fake screw heads and just glue it on where there is no hole.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Yeah get one of those amazing street artists that make 3d holes in the sidewalk and stuff and when you wipe away the chalk it's just a middle finger in permanent marker

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Holy poo poo Ive had time to work on the Scirocco fuckin finally. Of course it snowed the day after I finished leaves so the Outback is covered in snow and I can drive my truck for now so gently caress it Ill get to it soon. I decided Id feel better putting the Scirocco back into the house garage running instead of the motor all torn apart getting dust and poo poo all over it. That way when I have the time I can drive it into the shop to work on other stuff, if I have to push it Ill never get anything done. I plan to get it running then Ill pull the Outback in and put it back together. Everything is painted/cleaned and ready to go back on.

I started with putting the head back together. I got HD springs and titanium retainers

I zip tied an 02 sensor socket to my old OHV spring compressor. Worked a lot better than my OHC tool since its a bitch to hold the head steady, compress the spring and put the locks in all at the same time. This way I just clamped it to the work bench all at the same time so all I had to do is put the locks in.

All in

So next I test fit the turbo and here it looks great. Wastegate clears the block in the back, oil feed and drain are level

It was all good until I went and got the fitting for the oil feed line. Both that and the outlet of the turbo ran right into the intake when its on. I didnt even think of it until I went to try the intake to make sure it fit correctly with the exhaust manifold, which also didnt fit. I had to grind a bunch off of both the intake and exhaust so the bolt holes lined up and spent another half day finding the right fittings to make a 90 for the oil line. Both of those done and it looks good.

Clocked the compressor outlet to come out the bottom but now the wastegate wont work. The gate is on the back and instead of the bracket bolting to the hold down bolts on the housing it bolted to the front in one spot, gently caress

So now I have to make a bracket for the wastegate again, there goes another like, day. Not literally but its a pain in the rear end.

So thats where I am now. Make wastegate bracket and fit an AN line for the drain to the oil pan and make sure it clears the crank throw its lined up with and the windage tray that I got to go in as well

I also got a larger oil pump for the turbo, the age of the engine and I also plan on adding an oil cooler. An air to air in front of the rad instead of the stock water cooled one. Because of that and most likely more time at higher rpms Im working on better oil control in the head by removing material in front of the oil drains so that it doesnt collect up there. Just grinding down and smoothing the walls in front of the drains. I already lost a $10 tungsten carbide cutter for my dremel by it flying out of the chuck at 20k rpms so that was fun

This one is pretty much done

This one is taking the most work so far but its also the largest drain

So as soon as those are done and cleaned up after I can get the head on at least and get to work on the other stuff for the turbo oil.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Cute trick with the spring compressor. I'm gonna steal it.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Cute trick with the spring compressor. I'm gonna steal it.

It was magic, I can't believe I didn't think of it before. I just put a towel between the head and bench and clamped it all together. Reduced my rage level a good 80% doing it that way.

I also forgot some pictures. Crusty valves

Clean

I also did a small amount of porting. Basically just knocking down the ridges where the air makes the turn down into the bowl so it has more of a straight shot towards the back of the valve and opening up the runner a little.

I also marked where the head gasket ended and unshrouded the valve a small amount. I forgot to take final pics but I smoothed everything out afterwards.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Went to put the head on, got the bolts for a 16V, gently caress. For 8 bucks I can have the right ones here Friday and theres plenty to do but that messes up my list for today though I do have some content Ive been working on.

When I moved to Florida I drove my A4 down and left the Scirocco behind until I found a house. If you've ever heard me bitch about B5s this is the one, I still hate this loving car more than a decade later since it broke ALL THE TIME. This is at my friends place that I stayed with in Greenville, SC.

I bought this piece of poo poo with 58k on it and I put a ton of work into it. It came with a blown turbo so I put a K04 and front mount on it plus tons of AV stuff inside like DVD player and Gamecube, amps and wired it all real nice by tearing apart the interior and running wires along the stock harnesses.

We took my friends TDI Beetle on the trip all over Florida looking at houses. Yes I was responsible for her getting a TDI. She drove mine on a previous visit and it took about 30 seconds for her to want one and ended up buying hers from my friends parents who bought it new. She still has it today.

Us about to go on the looking for a house adventure and some pics along the way. We went all over the northern part of Florida from coast to coast, Tampa, Starke, Zephyr Hills, Ocala

In my price range (really cheap) most of what I looked at were double wides in lovely Mctrailer neighborhoods until I found my actual house in a cool small Florida town in the boonies close to the Georgia border. It was a foreclosure and a huge piece of poo poo but I fell in love in minutes, huge yard and cool plants all over like azaleas, rose bushes, bougainvillea, wisteria, and all overgrown but gently caress it I have time.

Sometime between trips to Florida I ended up buying an R32 and man what a car.

Id buy another one in a second if I didnt have a million cars already and it was a good thing I did cause the A4 made the trip from Greenville to my new house and thats where it finally died. The drain under the battery in the cowl was clogged and water was getting into the passenger side floorboard where the TCU lived. I went to drive it one day to get to somewhere and it was stuck in limp mode, 2nd gear I think. I pulled the TCU out and it had been getting wet long enough that traces on the PCB and contacts in the connector to the harness were just disintegrated. I tried to get another one for it but VAG cars need such specific part numbers for modules and I just couldnt find one since the internet wasnt as strong as it is now for finding rare car parts. One place actually sent me a loving ECU from a MK3 and I gave up and parted the car out with 65k miles on it, good riddance. It at least had the AEB head 1.8T with the big ports so I sold that to a buddy who put it in a Cabby.

If I didnt have the R32 I would have been carless in a town in the middle of nowhere where I didnt know a single person.

That July my sister and I decided to bury our mom (she was cremated) so my friend and I took her Beetle to CT to do that and get Charlie to Florida. Of course it just started right up and was ready to drive 1200 miles to SC then to my house. This is what it looked like when I left CT.

Not long after I moved I met who would end up being one of my best friends in town. The first day I got there he saw me driving the A4 with the front mount and CT plates and I had happened to see him driving an 02 Golf that was slammed and painted flat black. When we finally did meet we were instant friends and bonded over painting the Scirocco hood the German flag. Went and got the cheapest poo poo walmart paint and had a great time doing it.

Then we did his hood

That fall my friend left her husband and moved in with me and we got kinda carried away with acquiring VWs. I sold the R32 and bought the GTI I would drive for the next 6 years.

Then Joy bought a GTI as well, 84 with a 16V swap and no rust

Next in the Scirocco story, pilgrimage to the mecca, car shows, a shuttle launch and leaving Florida

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
drat dude! Great to see progress on stuff.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

So this time when I pulled it out of the garage it had sprung a pretty big oil leak. It never had one before which always impressed me with the age and mileage so I had to find and fix it. It was coming from the cam belt area so I got a new cam, intermediate shaft and front main seal. It was definitely the intermediate shaft. It has a housing with an o-ring then a normal lip seal and the o-ring shattered when I took it apart.

The head bolts got here today, that was so fast. I ordered them yesterday afternoon and I got them around noon. They came from somewhere in MA with regular ground shipping. That was from rockauto, I almost paid 20 bucks to get them here tomorrow from NAPA which would have sucked.

I also found a new timing belt in my stash. I had been considering just putting the old one back on since its non-interference, easy to do and I didnt want to wait. Glad past me did get a new one since the old one is covered in oil from the leak.

Back to work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I take it back, package was the new parking lights for the GMC. I wondered why the box was so big and quiet. Well thats still exciting but not as much