Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Yea the code was for low voltage so first I tried cleaning up where it bolts to the block but no dice. It was bad enough that the cel would come back within seconds of clearing the code.

I wish I knew why this transmission was so good so I could make all of them shift like this one does. It's amazing, really. All I did was both filters and replaced what fluid came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Mine's pissing ATF really loving bad now (it's leaving a ~2 ft wide puddle every time I park), so the pan is coming off really soon. The internal filter will get changed when I finally get around to that. :effort:

It shifts pretty nice when it's cold, once it gets more than 15-20 minutes under its belt it gets pretty sloppy. Though it stopped flaring at least.

:10bux: says the transmission got replaced with the engine.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Drove it around some more today and it's really going to be hard to sell it, it just drives so well. I just put it on CL earlier so I'll see what happens. It is starting to make a wheel bearing sound so I bet it gets real loud when someone comes to look at it. I'm going to order one of the newer ones with the wheel flange already installed and I already had the old bearing out so swapping it would be an hour, max. I made sure to put tin man amounts of antiseize on it just in case this happened.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Stuff will be happening soon, cool stuff, stuff Ive been dreaming about

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Hell

Fuckin

YEA

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

STR posted:

Mine's pissing ATF really loving bad now (it's leaving a ~2 ft wide puddle every time I park), so the pan is coming off really soon. The internal filter will get changed when I finally get around to that. :effort:

It shifts pretty nice when it's cold, once it gets more than 15-20 minutes under its belt it gets pretty sloppy. Though it stopped flaring at least.

:10bux: says the transmission got replaced with the engine.

Reminds me I still need to change the filter on ours - not as easy, since the 3.0 necessitates tucking the trans filter up in the inner fender for some reason. And change the plugs. And the cam cover gaskets, so it stops slowly pissing oil.
Really like the blue on yours, shy boy, though the white on ours will at least be cooler in summer here in TX. Wish my trans would shift quickly and firmly. Only thing really letting down the flat-six. Maybe the filter will help. If not, may move on to the internal filter and fresh fluid. Even the wife complains about it a bit.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Diesel?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Yep:

shy boy from chess club posted:

Stuff will be happening soon, cool stuff, stuff Ive been dreaming about

"ALH" is the 1.9 Turdbodiesel.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Krakkles posted:

Yep:

Ah, missed that detail on the description.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I think I only caught it because, for whatever reason (probably, growing up with Honda engine codes), VW engine codes have always seemed weird/stood out to me.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Krakkles posted:

Yep:

It's going to be an AHU/ALH hybrid, basically I have an AHU donor and will be putting the better stuff from an ALH on it like an 11mm pump and and most likely a newer ECU so I can flash tune it rather than socketing the one I have and swapping chips like a caveman. No VNT either, already have a wastegate turbo for it

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Rewired my trailer with LEDs. I also got a new coupler put on cause the ball was wearing through it and new grates on the ramps. Got some Hunter green for it and hopefully I'll have some time this summer to paint it.

Other cool stuff for the TDI

Intake

The snail, not a cheap eBay one like the gas engine is getting

This one I can actually get compressor and turbine maps for and apply some math instead of going in blind like the cheapy turbo

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

This one I can actually get compressor and turbine maps for and apply some math instead of going in blind like the cheapy turbo

Overrated. Where's the fun in that?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Darchangel posted:

Overrated. Where's the fun in that?

I was just lying to look cool anyway I was totally gonna wing it.

Just got a text from my buddy about the Kart. He brought it to a shop that does like all LS stuff and here's what he said:

True. Lol They called me today, massive vacuum leak as expected, from back of the intake manifold. Massive amount of oil in the intake manifold too. Valley plate was hosed, rear grommet wasn't even installed, front was trash. Installing new knock sensors and harness, spark plugs were wrong type and heat range....covered in massive amounts of exhaust soot. Header bolts were too short. Oil has a poo poo ton of fuel in it. Apparently the catch can wasn't working good enough (he said it looks awesome but is lovely), said going with the maf is easy at least. He's so perplexed why they'd spend so much on parts and cheap out on installing. So yeah, the car is a dumpster fire. Lol

We kinda knew about the vacuum leak but didn't work on the engine besides the pan and oil catch can. I wish I could go there and tell those guys the wiring stories. I feel bad for my buddy, he loves cars but has no time to learn stuff. I hope the guys he brought it to are good, sounds like they know what they're doing so far

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

True. Lol They called me today, massive vacuum leak as expected, from back of the intake manifold. Massive amount of oil in the intake manifold too. Valley plate was hosed, rear grommet wasn't even installed, front was trash. Installing new knock sensors and harness, spark plugs were wrong type and heat range....covered in massive amounts of exhaust soot. Header bolts were too short. Oil has a poo poo ton of fuel in it. Apparently the catch can wasn't working good enough (he said it looks awesome but is lovely), said going with the maf is easy at least. He's so perplexed why they'd spend so much on parts and cheap out on installing. So yeah, the car is a dumpster fire. Lol

That's pretty bad. So many of these Vette/Miata/etc karts are just disasters. Most of them around here have cages that aren't even close to built right and would kill the occupants in a low speed collision. Combine that with sloppy work, terrible wiring and mostly old worn out components and it's scary. I need to dig through my pics from Cars & Coffee last year, there was a Vette kart that at first glance looked amazing but the longer I looked at it the more terrifying things I found.

That reminds me, one of my friends from High School had talked about building one and had picked up the donor car...I wonder if it ever happened.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

As we discovered more and more messed up poo poo on it we thought "well the engine has some good parts" so now it's down to the cage is good, I'm assuming. It is dom and the welds look ok and no one has said it's bad yet

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I kinda want to build a Fiero-kart, partially because it’s easy, but also because you don’t have to mess with the safety structure at all if you don’t want to. Just remove all the body panels. Guess it doesn’t really change the weight much, either, though.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I wonder why no one has done that yet since they did everything else already with them. Even more weight off each end would seem pretty fun.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I wonder if it's because the aero drawbacks erase any other benefit. It is kinda strange it hasn't been done yet.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Got a little downpipe work done today. I was actually able to weld a piece of pipe on to the twisty remnants of the dp I had to cut up from the Jetta so that it comes straight down and 90 degrees from where the stock exhaust ends and clears everything. It's not going to flow the greatest but just trying to do what I can with what I have laying around now that TDI time is getting closer.

It also has a perfect spot to put the bung for the wideband with lots of room for that and the boost pipe that will be close by. That will be the next project to get that working again since it's critical with a blow through carb setup as I will have no idea how it's going to respond.

Had to fill some gap between stainless and steel, didn't come out horrible

All my bad welds in one shot

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Got a little downpipe work done today. I was actually able to weld a piece of pipe on to the twisty remnants of the dp I had to cut up from the Jetta so that it comes straight down and 90 degrees from where the stock exhaust ends and clears everything. It's not going to flow the greatest but just trying to do what I can with what I have laying around now that TDI time is getting closer.

It also has a perfect spot to put the bung for the wideband with lots of room for that and the boost pipe that will be close by. That will be the next project to get that working again since it's critical with a blow through carb setup as I will have no idea how it's going to respond.

[timg]https://i.imgur.com/7SkfeAcl.jpg[/ timg]

[timg]https://i.imgur.com/RdnGXSCl.jpg[/ timg]

Had to fill some gap between stainless and steel, didn't come out horrible

[timg]https://i.imgur.com/bfhvRZ5l.jpg[/ timg]

All my bad welds in one shot
[timg]https://i.imgur.com/fWgPqufl.jpg[/ timg]

I’ve definitely welded worse.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

All I've got is a grinder, hammer and a welder and it doesn't leak so I consider that a success. This is a counter-flow head too so everything is conveniently hidden under the intake in the back. Everything's comin up shy boy!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Hell, if you’ve got a grinder, you can take care of any ugly toot sweet. “Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain’t.”

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

That's true and I do grind stuff where something I made has to look good like the fuse box bracket, blinker brackets and a few other things I did on the Vette cart. I'll also do it if it's on something like an exhaust connection with a bad enough weld that it might have voids in it and leak I'll grind it down and go over it again.

I got rained out after work today since the 110 is in the shop for some electrical stuff but I did go get some 90s to connect the downpipe to the existing exhaust. I'm pretty confident it's going to come out way better than I thought. The bends I got from the parts store look mandrel bent instead of having the wrinkles on the inside of the bend which means I can cut them anywhere I want and the size will be consistent. The bend is really tight so it will flow way better without those wrinkles.

I also got some parts for the Hawk I've been waiting on forever so I want to move that into the shop too and maybe I'll finally have 2 functional motorcycles when they leave. The 110 always runs great but has a bunch of little things I want to get done.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I just realized I didn't post these yet

I'm so excited. I decided I'm going to make the room downstairs next to the garage into a workshop where I can tear down and build the engine in there. I have to get rid of some more stuff but it's not too bad of a project, like a long weekend and now I have strong inspiration.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Looks like the bends I got will work but while I was under there I decided to clock the turbo outlet so it wasn't pointing directly at the axle and I would have an idea of where the boost piping will be and then know where I had room to put the wideband sensor. I forgot that the wastegate bracket was using one of the compressor housing bolts so after clocking it I had to do some work to the bracket so the rod wasn't binding at an angle. Got that all squared up nice but that was enough for today. Hopefully I'll have some time tomorrow to work on the exhaust some more

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Got the downpipe done, ended up just using the entire bend and it landed right where I needed it. Only thing I had to change was the angle to get it to point up slightly so it didn't run directly into the sway bar. I just cut a slit into the inside of the bend until it pointed where I wanted then welded the slit closed.

Also got the sensor bung on it and added a flexy section then connected right to the existing exhaust. It was a slip fit into the dp then the exhaust pipe was a slip fit into the flexy, it worked out awesome. It's not finish welded yet but it's tight enough that I stopped for the day and put it back in the garage. I was sick of climbing out from under the car a million times so I'll finish that next. I'm really happy with how it came out. I've got to edit all the video of everything and post it up later.

Next I have to wire up key-on stuff like the gauges and radio, electric choke, etc. I found a nice way to connect a 6 circuit fuse box to the stock fuse box and add those circuits in a nice neat way. I'm also going to remove all the wiring for the gauges and redo them because it's a mess and I have to add some stuff.

Then I'll start working on the boost piping but I also think I'm going to swap to a 32/36 progressive Weber so I can set up the secondary for fuel enrichment under boost. I bought the 38/38 thinking I was going to go big cam since that's more what it's made for. If the turbo sucks I still might try that since I've got the HD springs and titanium retainers in already in case I want to do that and spin the stock and original bottom end as fast as I dare to

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Don't fear the reaper

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I’ve seen worse behind a dash. Sometimes my own handiwork, but that was long ago. Working at a mobile electronics install shop sorted that.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Yea a lot of that is my work from when I was in more of a hurry adding to the mess that was already there. I cut everything out that didn't need to be there and ran all new wires to the oil and water temp from the engine but reused the power and grounds from the existing wiring since they were clips that fit right on the gauges minus the EGT. I ran jumpers with spades to the clip for the EGT power so I didn't have to cut any of the car harness. There are also a few separate power and grounds for the lighting so I ran those to the gauges and one to a cold cathode tube under the radio that lights up the cubby hole.

I got a mechless pioneer head unit so I can have USB, aux and Bluetooth and it's nice since it's a lot smaller as well. The EGT probe wiring cannot be shortened for resistance reasons so now there's room to curl it up back there. The cold cathode also has a transformer that goes back there as well.

Everything lit up except the EGT because it has a small type B bulb holder that I only found as I was stopping for the day. Of course I ordered and have one on the way too or I never would have found it. I'll get it lit tomorrow.

Very happy that the red neon still works. I had a couple of white ones lighting up the trays under the steering wheel but they quit a while back.

Wiring still looks scary and I haven't even wired up the speakers yet. I need the narrower type spade connectors to use the car harness without hacking it up and I couldn't find any locally so I anger ordered $50 worth of various connectors from Amazon. Once I get everything working I'll square up the wiring all nice.

LED for the dome light

My favorite part will be cleaning everything up and putting screws in where there were some missing but tomorrow will be installing the gauges that go on top of the dash, A/F, boost and oil pressure, the important ones.

I also have a bunch of stuff to do to the 86 GMC for a change of pace and I bought 5 gallons of oil today so a lot of maintenance is happening this weekend.

I also have to find time to get the garden going, got some squash, tomatos, jalapenos and cukes to go in. Stoked I have time to do it this year.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Might have had no oil pressure since I put the head on. Small amounts of oil got to the turbo and some came out of the hole in the head but 2 gauges showing 0 pressure. Head is probably hosed, gonna pull the valve cover tomorrow and if it is this project is done. It's solid lifters so it's always noisey and I couldn't tell. Bottom end sounds perfect so I'm not sure what's going on.

Been adding to the stash of new TDI parts like valves, new oil pump, harmonic balancer and some other little stuff so I might be working on the engine building room instead of the 8 valve tomorrow.

I also dropped the wideband gauge and ruined the stepper motor.

Today loving sucked

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Everything looks great under the valve cover so thats awesome. Oil everywhere and cam caps (no bearings just the head and cap) are fine. I dropped the oil yesterday and no metal in it. No idea whats going on but Im going to pull the oil pan and pump and see if I can find anything, this is so weird.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Oil pump was loose, a little shiny in the pan but big ends are still tight, had oil all over them and nothing got hot so Im gonna let it ride. Its a 36mm pump over the stock 30 and its getting 15-40 diesel oil so that should fill in any gaps. Turbo had plenty of oil when I pulled the drain.

I think it just happened. The oil alarm had been going off but that is triggered when it isnt grounded and the engine sees 2000+ rpms and the sensor wire wasnt connected. The low pressure light just came on the last couple times I ran it but it wasnt long enough to even get up to temperature. Only the trip from the garage to shop and up onto the ramps then just yesterday after I hooked up the pressure gauge.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Crisis averted, think its gonna be ok. Its also much quieter

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
That's good to hear.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Whew. Bullet dodged!

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Glad you were able to catch it in time.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Yea I was pretty depressed about it until I pulled the valve cover and saw oil and the cam lobe tips we're unaffected. Also no metal around the lifter buckets. I figured those places see the largest forces especially with the HD springs I just put in. The wicked oil pressure was just a bonus. It's no joke when people claim the 8Vs are tanks cause goddamn

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yea a lot of that is my work from when I was in more of a hurry adding to the mess that was already there. I cut everything out that didn't need to be there and ran all new wires to the oil and water temp from the engine but reused the power and grounds from the existing wiring since they were clips that fit right on the gauges minus the EGT. I ran jumpers with spades to the clip for the EGT power so I didn't have to cut any of the car harness. There are also a few separate power and grounds for the lighting so I ran those to the gauges and one to a cold cathode tube under the radio that lights up the cubby hole.

I got a mechless pioneer head unit so I can have USB, aux and Bluetooth and it's nice since it's a lot smaller as well. The EGT probe wiring cannot be shortened for resistance reasons so now there's room to curl it up back there. The cold cathode also has a transformer that goes back there as well.

Everything lit up except the EGT because it has a small type B bulb holder that I only found as I was stopping for the day. Of course I ordered and have one on the way too or I never would have found it. I'll get it lit tomorrow.

Very happy that the red neon still works. I had a couple of white ones lighting up the trays under the steering wheel but they quit a while back.

Wiring still looks scary and I haven't even wired up the speakers yet. I need the narrower type spade connectors to use the car harness without hacking it up and I couldn't find any locally so I anger ordered $50 worth of various connectors from Amazon. Once I get everything working I'll square up the wiring all nice.

LED for the dome light

My favorite part will be cleaning everything up and putting screws in where there were some missing but tomorrow will be installing the gauges that go on top of the dash, A/F, boost and oil pressure, the important ones.

I also have a bunch of stuff to do to the 86 GMC for a change of pace and I bought 5 gallons of oil today so a lot of maintenance is happening this weekend.

I also have to find time to get the garden going, got some squash, tomatos, jalapenos and cukes to go in. Stoked I have time to do it this year.

I've got a mechless Pioneer in my Crown Vic, and I'm pretty happy with it, for what it is. It's so tiny! Not as small as the super-cheap Blaupunkts from a while back, but I've not actually been able to put one of those in anything yet, since they can't do ISO mounting, only DIN via the sleeve. All my recent use cases have been ISO. Probably replacing the Pioneer with a double DIN so I can use it with a backup camera, and get CarPlay, which I've grown enamored of in the Outback.
I'd use LEDs exclusively for lighting, but I guess if you had the cold cathodes on hand, go for it. Never thought about chucking some in storage cubbies, though - good idea! I'm a huge fan of the LED panels in the dome light. It totally transforms most dome lights from weak useless things to stadium lighting that lets you actually find things in the car at night. Even the basic bulb replacements are a leap, but I like to fit the biggest multi-element panel that will squeeze into the housing.

Nice save on the oil pressure issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I like the cold cathodes for the trays and cubby hole since they are nice even spread out light. LEDs can be pretty directional and that's what happened with the ones I put in the trays, they just kind of light up the three spots under them. Not a big deal but I wish they still made those small neons. I have a big one in the hatch that lit up the whole area but that one broke too. I'm happy every time the red one turns on.

The mechless pioneer is great. The wiring didn't turn out as nice as I'd have liked but it's all reliable now and there was plenty of room behind the radio for all of it.

Eventually I want to restore this car and when I do that I'll do all the wiring from scratch so it's exactly how I want it. The plan is get the diesel done and put in then drive it for a few years until I figure out how I want everything then take the whole thing apart and restore it.