Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

pihole is great

I black holed Facebook and it felt good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i've been meaning to get one of those set up. is there a simple way to use it as a vpn for phones and poo poo too

i use blokada but it'd be nice to have better not-on-phone blocking

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

there are compatible/recommended vpns for it and guides but I have no idea how to do any of it

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!
There's also https://trackthis.link
It opens like 100 different teams around a particular theme to try and disrupt any tracking algorithm

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Zamujasa posted:

i've been meaning to get one of those set up. is there a simple way to use it as a vpn for phones and poo poo too

i use blokada but it'd be nice to have better not-on-phone blocking

if you have an iPhone it’s a big pita and not worth it IMO, I just use ddg browser

I have a pihole running in aws, if you want me to open it up to your IP so you can try it out lmk

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Gentle Autist posted:

if you have an iPhone it’s a big pita and not worth it IMO, I just use ddg browser

I have a pihole running in aws, if you want me to open it up to your IP so you can try it out lmk

i setup a wireguard and added a vpn profile for it in ios, which handles it automatically except for my whitelisted home wifi. from what i can tell, this is how cloudflare does its ios dns app

its not particularly turnkey, but not much maintenance once its setup, especially if you have a router that had wireguard as a service. setting the profile for only the local dns and to only tunnel those addresses keeps the traffic light and a second profile was easy to add if i want full tunneling

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

just use that VPN that lowtax says is super great at everything and will save you a million dollars

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

George posted:

its me, im the guy who cant understand why anyone ever bought an alexa in the first place

americans are extremely stupid, that's why

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

I want to talk to my computer like on the space man teevee show

HEY COMPUTER I LOVE BRANDS

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
computer knows friend, computer knows

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
thinkin about buying one of those four camera DVR systems so i can fully slip into the spiraling whirlpool of paranoia that is home security

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
Are there any good email providers or is the only reasonable choice to set up my own postfix server on some cloud instance?

My threat model is not TLAs or anything paranoid, I just don't want my email provider keyword scraping everything that goes in and out.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Are there any good email providers or is the only reasonable choice to set up my own postfix server on some cloud instance?

My threat model is not TLAs or anything paranoid, I just don't want my email provider keyword scraping everything that goes in and out.

i think protonmail is well regarded

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Jonny 290 posted:

i think protonmail is well regarded

This looks like exactly what I want. ty!

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

thinkin about buying one of those four camera DVR systems so i can fully slip into the spiraling whirlpool of paranoia that is home security

if I had a camera setup it would be 1% for "security" and 99% for seeing what critters we get in the yard at night

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Fastmail is also very good

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Jonny 290 posted:

theres a certain honesty about the old school setup things in that style imo

at least hopefully no one gets paid a monthly fee if you want it to work

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

just use that VPN that lowtax says is super great at everything and will save you a million dollars

wait isn't this the one which was recently accused of using rando's computers as IP endpoints? https://medium.com/@derek./how-is-nordvpn-unblocking-disney-6c51045dbc30

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
speakig of cctv, this camera in my neighborhood has been hanging by that cable for like 7 or 8 years at least

i'm the wall warts

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
...that's not even a joke is it?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

no. the webpage was taken down after it started being reported in western media. hikvision has a lot of contracts to supply security cameras to US and EU cities.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

not what i expected from hickvision

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Hanalytics

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

mods

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Hikvision is the competitor of a place I used to work at and I'm very much not surprised by that kind of stuff.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Jonny 290 posted:

At least your video wouldn't go to the cloud somewhere to train the next computer vision app to target minorities. Also totally post pictures of dumb animals found!

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
I don't think this says more about me than google, but my ads have gone crazy lately

Scope
Jun 6, 2003

My dad got me and my wife some model of Roku for Christmas. We don’t have a smart tv in the bedroom and my xbox360 is getting slower by the day for streaming. The roku seems a lot faster and more streamlined, but during setup it asks which room the roku is in and won’t allow you to continue until you input something, so I just said it’s in the bathroom. Seems like a weird piece of information to require.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

reminds me of those sites that require you to pick a title before your name and they have a hundred oddball ones to pick from

British Airways for example

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

How the gently caress are you posting in yospos and still seeing ads

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

TimWinter posted:

I don't think this says more about me than google, but my ads have gone crazy lately

is this what made deadspin great? i never read the site.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

akadajet posted:

is this what made deadspin great? i never read the site.

we can tell

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
I just made a post about a time travel plot device and referenced "biff and doc and marty", and now I'm getting bttf clickbait articles in my google feed.

Come on Google keyboard, don't be selling me out like that.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
I mentioned that i once had a girlfriend in CITY_NAME in slack and within 2 hours google was serving me ads about services in CITY that i might be interested in.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I once accidentally went to Alibaba instead of Aliexpress from Google results. Obviously didn't log in - never have, don't even have an account - but still somehow started getting loving e-mails directly from Chinese vendors for the stuff I was looking at?

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
It’s not really surveillance but when you add a colleague on LinkedIn it now asks questions that are designed to understand the management structure of your company. It can gently caress right off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/MikaelThalen/status/1243281598037913600

sweet ui though