Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

pointsofdata posted:

i've been working in a coworking space for a few weeks. I have 0 professional or social media interactions with the other people in the office, but I just checked linkedin's suggested connections and a bunch of them are there "based on your profile". i assume this was done by ip crossreferencing but it was weird as gently caress.

These people may have tried to look you up. Or they may have uploaded their entire address book to automate that process.

Facebook used to ask this too, to the point of "give us your e-mail password and we'll only download your address book".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
If you can't avoid having something/someone spy on you, you could try to feed it incorrect data.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
This government agency sent me a letter with a survey, asking me for feedback on my experience with them.

They said it was anonymous, but they keep sending reminders asking me to do the survey, because they can see I haven't bothered.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
How do you get all your worthwhile friends to move over to not-facebook?

it's not really a problem if you have no friends