Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
LOLNO they aint gonna try a double dissolution.

quote:

The conditions stipulated by section 57 of the Constitution are:

The trigger bill originated in the House of Representatives.
Three months elapsed between the two rejections of the bill by the Senate ("rejection" in this context can extend to the Senate's failure to pass the bill, or to the Senate passing it with amendments to which the House of Representatives will not agree).
The second rejection occurred in the same session as the first, or the subsequent session, but no later.

They have to wait three months first.

Also two govts have been defeated completely and all bar one has had reduced majorities - the single exception is Menzies gained a majority in the Senate (reduced majority in the house) in 1951

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Nov 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The Department of Defence is reviewing all major foreign military contracts after the United States declared it will not pay any compensation for a new $125 million warplane destroyed by fire due to a faulty engine.

CAVEAT EMPTOR, BITCH

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Corbyn is about to be annihilated :gritin:

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

JBP posted:

The Department of Defence is reviewing all major foreign military contracts after the United States declared it will not pay any compensation for a new $125 million warplane destroyed by fire due to a faulty engine.

CAVEAT EMPTOR, BITCH

Lol love how the United States has finally realised its dream of becoming the Trump Corporation, but with a military.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

JBP posted:

Corbyn is about to be annihilated :gritin:

Maybe the bookies should pay out early again, it went pretty well in our election.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

That was 4d politics from the gambling lobby

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I'd be putting a 5er on Jez if it hadn't been for our last election lol

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

CAVEAT EMPTOR, BITCH

tHe PrObLeMs WiTh ThE F-35 aRe FiXeD

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Lol do you have any idea what the F111 was like at the time when we bought them? Lemme just say I'm pretty sure the F111 killed more F111 pilots than the Viet Cong ever did.

But still lol that Trump's America won't take responsibility for it.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

hooman posted:

it was a super hornet

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

hooman posted:

actually this one was an EA-18G

Don Dongington posted:

Lol do you have any idea what the F111 was like at the time when we bought them? Lemme just say I'm pretty sure the F111 killed more F111 pilots than the Viet Cong ever did.
The F-111 was a great trial run for the F-35. Originally conceived to perform multiple, contradictory missions, it had a hideously protected development and cost overruns.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Mr Chips posted:

The F-111 was a great trial run for the F-35. Originally conceived to perform multiple, contradictory missions, it had a hideously protected development and cost overruns.

And it used to randomly fall out of the sky during low speed manoeuvres because the swing wing setup was run by valves or a demon in a box or something.

Lol

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
As a guy all about image projection I imagine Scott loving hates that picture.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

jesus wept

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Don Dongington posted:

But still lol that Trump's America won't take responsibility for it.

IMO that's less a Trump's America thing and more just an MIC thing in general.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Maybe the F-35 will be the new F-104 Starfighter. Lockheed straight up bribed a bunch of countries into buying them and getting stuck with them and they were known as widow makers.

quote:

In all, 120 pilots and crew, including 108 German pilots and 8 USAF instructors, died in German F-104s during peacetime between 25 January 1962 and 11 December 1984.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_F-104_Starfighter#Safety_record

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Except they didn't really use them themselves, right? I seem to remember that once they realised they were lovely and dangerous, they developed the F106 as their primary interceptor and dumped the 104s on unsuspecting NATO countries?

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Can't help but notice that the media uniformly started referring to it as a "union busting bill" only after Pauline Hanson knocked it back. 'Controversial accountability and anti-corruption bill' was the term I was seeing everywhere up until then, with nary a "union-busting" in sight. I'm going to take a guess and say this change was led by Seven News, who would have switched terms to help their partner Pauline (never forget Sunrise literally has a contract with One Nation for Hanson and Latham's daily appearances). After they did it the rest of the media would have been emboldened to finally use the term.

Honestly not sure if even labor were calling it a union busting bill, since that would depend on me hearing a labor politician say something on any particular issue. Whatever hole they are all hiding/buried in is too deep for the echoes to escape from and I don't consider it worthwhile to lower a mic down just to hear them prevaricate on whether they are tepidly opposed to marginal aspects of the LNP's agenda or entirely on board with it.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

the murdochricy has thrown its weight behind prime minster hanson.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

today prime minister hanson has introduced her anti shopping trolley token bill to parliament, as part of keeping with her key campaign promises. the bill is designed to outlaw the use of coin or token locking mechanisms on shopping trolleys

quote:

it is ridiculous in this day and age that I still need to fish around for coins in my cars cup holders or keep a token on my key ring just to use a trolley. it's unaustralian.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

hambeet posted:

today prime minister hanson has introduced her anti shopping trolley token bill to parliament, as part of keeping with her key campaign promises. the bill is designed to outlaw the use of coin or token locking mechanisms on shopping trolleys

Alright I'm voting for her

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

cohsae posted:

Alright I'm voting for her

If the country is going to burn either way it also gets my vote.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Mr Chips posted:

Awww not a Growler. I liked the Growlers :(

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/SatPaper/status/1200519952064794625?s=19

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

hambeet posted:

The supermarkets will produce an app to unlock their new 'smart' trolleys. It'll be free to unlock a trolley, but of course it'll watch all your data and they'll know who to chase if you don't return the trolley

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

bandaid.friend posted:

The supermarkets will produce an app to unlock their new 'smart' trolleys. It'll be free to unlock a trolley, but of course it'll watch all your data and they'll know who to chase if you don't return the trolley

Nah, it'll hover up all your data but the trolley tracking part will be broken half of the time.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Guardian: Vote for your favourite bird!
ABC: Two semi-aquatic mammals enter, one semi-aquatic mammal leaves!

In sincerity this click-on-me stuff is getting gross

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Even I know a platypus isn't a mammal

e. i checked and I'm wrong, and now know more about platypuses :)

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

There's a subset of mammals that are weird and somewhat ancient: monotremes. They are mammals that lay eggs. There's only 2 known to science and they both live in Australia: the platypus and echidna species. Echidna's are mammals that lay eggs and don't have nipples. Both the echidna and platypus for some reason have electroception abilities. They're incredibly strange but also super cool.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Monotremes are my friends.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Nice username/post combo.

So do I have this right?

pre:
  Those greens who won't let us "back burn"
  |
  |      "The Aboriginals" who did "back burning" to prevent bushfires
  |      |
  |      |      Threshold at which it's cool and good to take their land
  |      |      away from them because they're savages who need the white
  |      |      man to look after them
  |      |      |
  |      |      |      "The Aboriginals" according to Bruce Pascoe's
  |      |      |      unfounded claims (thanks Andrew Bolt for
  |      |      |      pointing out his lies to me!)
  |      |      |      |
  |      |      |      |
  |      |      |      |                            Me, a Quiet Australian
  |      |      |      |                                                 |
  v      v      v      v                                                 v
<---------------X---------------------------------------------------------->
Less                         Amount of civilization                     More
It sounds like an interesting book!

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

hambeet posted:

My shopping trolly murdered, my groceries just gone.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Nah, it'll hover up all your data but the trolley tracking part will be broken half of the time.

Laws are swiftly passed that allow ASIO to access your trolley metadata without a warrant.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Carnaticum posted:

There's a subset of mammals that are weird and somewhat ancient: monotremes. They are mammals that lay eggs. There's only 2 known to science and they both live in Australia: the platypus and echidna species. Echidna's are mammals that lay eggs and don't have nipples. Both the echidna and platypus for some reason have electroception abilities. They're incredibly strange but also super cool.

Went for a walk in a national park the other day and saw my first ever echidna in the wild, just waddling along right next to the path. It was very cute. 10/10 experience, would recommend seeing an echidna.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
I saw an echidna in the wild once, when it noticed me it tucked its head under its body and became a ball of spikes. It kept looking up every 10 seconds to check that I was still there before immediately hiding again, it was very cute.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Carnaticum posted:

Echidnas have electroreception too? That's kind of mad.
It seems like a really nifty ability. Do any other mammals have it, or is just our weird monotreme buddies

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

My favourite place for spotting aussie wild life is guthega at Perisher. Always see a wombat, roo or echidna chilling in the snow. And I just love seeing animals in the snow.

Gary the wombat is a regular sight on the runs there. One time I got to watch him charge down the hill straight into and knock over a kid. It was beautiful.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Tree Bucket posted:

It seems like a really nifty ability. Do any other mammals have it, or is just our weird monotreme buddies

Just the monotremes!

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Tree Bucket posted:

I have electroreception, but only at very high voltages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

norp posted:

My shopping trolly murdered, my groceries just gone.

I don't like it, when for my trolley I must pay