Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Yeah but if you arbitrarily ignored certain polls and paid attention to others they predicted the result perfectly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
did a psychic crocodile predict it correctly or not, thats the only poll I care about

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
The croc was herded.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

JBP posted:

Pore over

I could've sworn I looked this up a few months back and the correct usage was 'pour over' but apparently the entire internet has scrubbed that from its memory, probably out of spite??

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Doctor Spaceman posted:

On a National level the polls got primary votes for Labor and the Coalition wrong by 2-3% each, and in Queensland the error was twice that (and well outside the margin of error). There's also the fact the polls were consistently wrong in a way that suggests herding.

The polling data didn't suggest the result at all.

Have a read of what our good IK posted during May and poll herding. The polling data was right.... it was the polling companies that hosed the pooch trying to manipulate the data.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

bobvonunheil posted:

I could've sworn I looked this up a few months back and the correct usage was 'pour over' but apparently the entire internet has scrubbed that from its memory, probably out of spite??

i mean, if you're making an affogato, maybe

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Hollandia posted:

The croc was herded.

they're moving in herds

they do move in herds

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

bobvonunheil posted:

Probably just the Mandala Effect again.

im alan jones
Feb 1, 2009

the muhammad ali of radio

https://twitter.com/sarahelks/status/1168696035763310592?s=20

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
17yo millionaire on why you’re ‘mediocre’
Jack Bloomfield, news.com.au
4 minutes

We’re now hurtling towards that point in the year when kids my age will be sweating bullets as end-of-school exams approach, every single one of them convinced their entire future hinges on what kind of university entrance mark they achieve.

Score well, and we’re set forever. Do badly, and our lives are over before they really even begin. Well, that’s what we’re told, at least.

That means millions of sleepless nights and hours of frantic last-minute cramming. Then weeks of nailbiting nerves as we await the results. All followed by a sense of overwhelming joy or crushing disappointment, depending on what that little piece of paper says.

But I won’t be one of them. In fact, I want to tell everyone to relax. There is much more to your working life than university.

In fact, for most of us, it’s the last thing we should be focusing on. And the data proves it.

Now I know what you’re thinking; who is this arrogant kid who thinks he’s too smart for university? Let me explain.

It’s not that I think I’m too good for uni. It’s a well-trodden path for lots of students, and it’s perfectly fine for most people.

It’s more that I don’t subscribe to the idea that university is the be all and end all of education.

Let’s look at the University of Melbourne, for example. In 2019, the single most popular course is a general arts degree, with 2275 Victorian students listing it as their number-one choice.

And do you know what each of those thousands of students will leave with after three or four years of extra study? A mountain of debt and a piece of paper that carries absolutely no weight in the working world.

Is there a profession called “arts”, outside of being an artist? Not that I’ve ever heard of.

Sure, if you want to be a lawyer or a doctor, then a university degree is the only real pathway to those jobs. But what if you want to be an entrepreneur? A creator of something that’s never been done before?

What if you want to change the world? Will four (or six, or eight) more years of classes help you along that path? Not one bit.

An arts degree is what we study when we don’t actually know what we want to do with our lives, but think we better do something.

If you go to university because it’s what everyone else is doing, because it’s the easy path, then you have already fallen into the mediocre category, a sheep among other sheep, and those grand plans of changing the world will be put off for when the time is right.

Which is short for “never”.

I’ve just turned 17, and my side-business project — one I launched a few years ago — now turns over millions in revenue each and every year. And honestly, studying an arts degree would do nothing but set me back.

We know already that Bill Gates, Steve Jobs and Mark Zuckerberg all dropped out of college. But let’s look closer to home. Boost Juice founder Janine Allis and billionaire James Packer both skipped university, and trucking magnate Lindsay Fox dropped out of high school at 16. Do you think they regret it?

I guess the point is this; if you believe in yourself, and are willing to accrue some real-world skills, then a piece of paper with “arts” written on it from a university isn’t going to change that. So ignore the pressure.

Do what’s right for you, not what’s right for anyone else.

J ack Bloomfield is a teen entrepreneur, businessman and high school student from Queensland. Continue the conversation @jackbloomfield

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Oh yeah James Packer that's who I will compare to myself

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Maybe that kid should do a short course in statistics.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
"Yeah, why learn anything ever?" asks teenager.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Looking forward to the day he needs to rely on the sympathy of Arts grads in the jury at his trial for trading whilst insolvent and stealing a few million in pensions

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Who cares what this nerd says

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

NTRabbit posted:

Looking forward to the day he needs to rely on the sympathy of Arts grads in the jury at his trial for trading whilst insolvent and stealing a few million in pensions

That sound more like promotion material, maybe even get elected as pm.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Les Affaires posted:

Maybe that kid should do a short course in statistics.

start with accounting, as he seems to have confused turnover with profit

somebody dob the fucker into the ato

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

What if I really want to be a social critic tho

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
Teenager says controversial thing for attention, news at 11

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Word cloud for August:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Urcher posted:

Word cloud for August:

Night concerns Justice Guy.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Urcher posted:

Word cloud for August:

We've produced a Ramirez cartoon

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

secret sexual red officer used queensland

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Jack Bloomfield starts the day at 5.15am. After 15 minutes of push-ups, he gets ready for school and then spends 30 minutes reading Grant Cardone’s Be Obsessed Or Be Average. At 6am sharp, he starts working on his online business. Two hours and 30 minutes later, the 11th grader leaves for school. When he returns at 3pm, Bloomfield indulges in an afternoon sport, finishes homework, later dinner, and then once again logs into his computer to manage Bloom Ventures, the company he started at the age of 15.

This is Bloomfield’s third venture.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Anidav posted:

secret sexual red officer used queensland

I'm a fan of stabbed racist, myself.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Lid posted:

Jack Bloomfield starts the day at 5.15am. After 15 minutes of push-ups, he gets ready for school and then spends 30 minutes reading Grant Cardone’s Be Obsessed Or Be Average. At 6am sharp, he starts working on his online business. Two hours and 30 minutes later, the 11th grader leaves for school. When he returns at 3pm, Bloomfield indulges in an afternoon sport, finishes homework, later dinner, and then once again logs into his computer to manage Bloom Ventures, the company he started at the age of 15.

This is Bloomfield’s third venture.

wait, he indulges in homework and dinner?

i mean for fucks sake

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

But what does he do between homework and dinner??

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

But what does he do between homework and dinner??

:jiggled:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

quote:

At Bloom, entrepreneurs work together to maximize each others' long term impact.

oh it's one of those """"""companies"""""""

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
my research output is priceless, i guess I'm a zillionaire

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
https://www.news.com.au/finance/bus...3cef941c109bc36

quote:

The teen said drop shipping — a method where the seller doesn’t have physical items in stock, instead transferring orders to either a manufacturer, a different retailer, or a wholesaler to then ship the goods directly to the customer — has been the key to success.
But Mr Bloomfield has always had an entrepreneurial streak.
When he was 12, he sold greeting cards online via a virtual application that allowed customers to choose different options and write their own messages.
He followed that up by creating an online platform which helped patients and doctors keep track of all their health records in one place.
But these days, he’s fully committed to e-commerce.

The sports enthusiast said he spent at least 25 hours during every working week on the business as well as most of his weekends, making sure Facebook ads are working correctly and checking his virtual assistants are filling all orders.
Searching drop shipping takes me to the Shopify website, where they advertise virtual employee services, also the picture in the newscorp article looks like a template website. I don't think subscribing to Shopify is a good substitution for an education

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Hes a self declared millionaire. Like how Trump used to call forbes under fake names to be on the richest list.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Wasn't drop shipping the big thing people were spruiking on Something Awful as the hot new way to make money online? I think it came just before they all moved into writing erotica.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Guarantee that the only reason his company's worth millions because his parents invested millions into it and manage most of the business.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/stat...ingawful.com%2F

Man, just think how many fruit pickers we're gonna get out of climate change. Sure is a cool and not at all hosed up horrifying thing.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Whitlam posted:

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/stat...ingawful.com%2F

Man, just think how many fruit pickers we're gonna get out of climate change. Sure is a cool and not at all hosed up horrifying thing.

All these comments going durrrr you idiots you can't see through clouds fake lol

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Senor Tron posted:

Wasn't drop shipping the big thing people were spruiking on Something Awful as the hot new way to make money online? I think it came just before they all moved into writing erotica.

The difference was that some people actually made money on the erotica.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
ScoMo: looks at the UK

"How good is ultranationalism???"

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
Can anyone with economic credentials debunk/discuss this article on franking credits?

https://www.livewiremarkets.com/wires/11-urban-myths-about-franking-credits

I mean, it reads like propaganda ("well actually, franking credits are a gold-plated unicorn that poops rainbow cupcakes") but the arguments are backed by evidence and it seems reasonable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
The issue isn't franking credits, it's being able to make your tax bill negative via franking credits.

They always start with "it's to avoid double taxation" but the refunds make it "avoiding taxing the money at all"