Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I actually didn't finish the pass either this season, the 2nd time ever. Currently 67, so not too far off.

Maybe they overestimated the set length, or didn't give out as many level freebies as normal. Maybe I didn't play as much because the set wasn't paper-set legal or because it was Summer and my kids were home and I had to split my focus between them and work, not magic and work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Speaking of 15 wins, when the new set drops everyone gets 3 brand new quests and is back to 0/15 weekly wins for the week.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I just noticed a bit of text when you navigate to the Last Played sidebar, it tells you whether the selected format is best of one or best of three just above the Play button. Don't know why I didn't notice it before, but I'd like to think they added it after the Gladiator community event when people complained that they queued into a best of three format lol

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Drewjitsu posted:

You have made me very concerned that I'm due for a regression to the mean.

You seem to be consistently doing this well over time and with a significant sample - so I suspect it's one or both of these:

1. For whatever format and times you're playing, it can't find even people to match you with (within whatever limits they have on queue times etc..). You're just too good.
2. ...or you're playing in formats that don't use MMR. "Constructed Events" and the like match only based on win/loss (which makes sense; you wouldn't want to be giving out prizes for sandbagging an account)

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
Things I'm sad to be losing: Blood on the Snow, Vorinclex - I just like the alt art Goya inspired one, Magma Opus, bolt lands from ZNR and all spell lands in general, Niko Aris - enjoyed this as a brawl commander more than I thought, Wizard's Spellbook because casting your opponent's spells is never not fun, same deal for the UB merfolk fake ninja
Things I'm glad to see going: Esika's Chariot, Goldspan Dragon, Elite Spellbinder, all the man lands, blizzard brawl

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.

Huxley posted:

I actually didn't finish the pass either this season, the 2nd time ever. Currently 67, so not too far off.

Maybe they overestimated the set length, or didn't give out as many level freebies as normal. Maybe I didn't play as much because the set wasn't paper-set legal or because it was Summer and my kids were home and I had to split my focus between them and work, not magic and work.

I'm at 50 or so and on the days I played I tried to get 4 - 15 wins usually. I normally just spend gems to get the remaining levels but one or two battlepasses away I realized that I'm part of the problem why battle passes are so popular. So 50 for me it is this time.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I stop playing MTGA and remember that the early access streamer event is happening, time to watch some MTGA drafts lol

https://twitch.tv/chord_o_calls

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
Watching Reid Duke's Dom prerelease stream and opponent just played a land from the graveyard with Serra Paragon. Huh, never got to do that with Lurrus.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

10-5ed my dailies today, now that's above chernobyl gif performance. Knowing I no longer have a thing to chase and I should accept I'll never get anything competitive in this game, I think I have found some measure of serenity

I'm level 78 on the pass... if I am playing way more games than people, are people just not finishing their passes
Unless you're actually enjoying the matches, playing anything beyond 4 wins a day is absolutely not worth your time.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

VictualSquid posted:

With faceless heavens and book of exalted deeds. Emberrassingly dumb in a format without land destruction.

hell yeah

e: the best is when they get me below zero life and a bunch of cards on the board light up for 5 seconds before they concede

kalel fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Aug 30, 2022

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

jmzero posted:

You seem to be consistently doing this well over time and with a significant sample - so I suspect it's one or both of these:

1. For whatever format and times you're playing, it can't find even people to match you with (within whatever limits they have on queue times etc..). You're just too good.
2. ...or you're playing in formats that don't use MMR. "Constructed Events" and the like match only based on win/loss (which makes sense; you wouldn't want to be giving out prizes for sandbagging an account)

I am pretty sure it's number 2. Ranked drafts are one thing (80% wr in NEO from bronze to gold haha), but most of my draft play is in the bo3 queue, which is to my knowledge, not subject to MMR.

I am not good at this game. It has to be #2.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Yeah playing exalted deed combo and my only loss is to the auto tapper not leaving 3 white mana open

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

thespaceinvader posted:

Unless you're actually enjoying the matches, playing anything beyond 4 wins a day is absolutely not worth your time.
I often don't even play the fourth match because I don't have it in me to play more Magic per day. This is a game I play on the phone on the work toilet, and then two more games after building a deck with proper point n click on the computer in the evening. I have reached a comfortable Plat rank in both Limited and Constructed and am very happy.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

Yeah I think I only started aiming for 10 daily wins when I thought I had a shot at 1200 lol.

I will probably settle back into 4 just for coin earning so I can maximize draft buys

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

just had a tatyova brawler concede because i played confounding conundrum and they played an obscura storefront, forcing them to bounce the basic they fetched. very funny card for brawl, but probably only worth running in a flicker deck for the cantrip

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I like playing Tamiyo, Collector of Tales in H Brawl because the passive catches a lot of people out.

*I don't discard or sacrifice a creature"
*pause*
*mouse over my permanents*
*concede*

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

odiv posted:

I like playing Tamiyo, Collector of Tales in H Brawl because the passive catches a lot of people out.

*I don't discard or sacrifice a creature"
*pause*
*mouse over my permanents*
*concede*

Exact same sequence of events with Ashiok, Dream Render.

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

Most of the Tamiyos I see in HB try to cast as many Time Warps as possible, I do not trust them

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Simply Simon posted:

I often don't even play the fourth match because I don't have it in me to play more Magic per day. This is a game I play on the phone on the work toilet, and then two more games after building a deck with proper point n click on the computer in the evening. I have reached a comfortable Plat rank in both Limited and Constructed and am very happy.

The bottom of plat is the best rank for constructed cuz after a while all the tryhards have ranked out and it's just chill bros playing jank. It owns

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

fridge corn posted:

The bottom of plat is the best rank for constructed cuz after a while all the tryhards have ranked out and it's just chill bros playing jank. It owns
I suspect a large part of my unexpected success despite spending <10 WCs so far and also why I'm having so much fun in general is down to this. I cannot fathom playing Explorer or whatever even if I had every card, because it sounds like it's just people mashing the same three decks against each other all the time, and...why?

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

reignonyourparade posted:

No slyclave means nobody killing the skyclave early and not even getting the token back for their trouble which is always good for a laugh so I'm going to say it leaving is sad

Always a classic

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Retcon posted:

Most of the Tamiyos I see in HB try to cast as many Time Warps as possible, I do not trust them

This or sublime epiphany.

I admit I've gotten back time warp a time or to, but normally I'm value milling to fuel the frog.

Bugsy fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 30, 2022

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Just saw Alex Nikolic lose to a defender deck in the prerelease event. Defender deck is real!

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
As a huge fan of early rotation last year, here is a fun combo deck to grind the farewell event

Deck
4 Skeletal Swarming (AFR) 232
2 Deadly Dispute (AFR) 94
4 Magda, Brazen Outlaw (KHM) 142
3 Swamp (AFR) 273
2 Skullport Merchant (AFR) 120
4 Jaspera Sentinel (KHM) 178
4 Cragcrown Pathway (ZNR) 261
4 Blightstep Pathway (KHM) 252
4 Darkbore Pathway (KHM) 254
3 Maskwood Nexus (KHM) 240
4 Shambling Ghast (AFR) 119
4 Esika's Chariot (KHM) 169
2 Hive of the Eye Tyrant (AFR) 258
4 Prosperous Innkeeper (AFR) 200
4 Forest (AFR) 281
3 Mountain (AFR) 277
3 Immersturm Predator (KHM) 214
2 Lotus Cobra (ZNR) 193

Edit: i mean last call event

Whooping Crabs fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 30, 2022

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Simply Simon posted:

I suspect a large part of my unexpected success despite spending <10 WCs so far and also why I'm having so much fun in general is down to this. I cannot fathom playing Explorer or whatever even if I had every card, because it sounds like it's just people mashing the same three decks against each other all the time, and...why?

Just play explorer unranked or in lower tiers. I have a jank goblin deck that wins enough to have fun in gold

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Explorer is pretty chill, I think I played against 12 different decks in 20 something games. People are trying basically everything. I played against gruul dinosaurs once in platinum, and they won a game. There's mono green aggro and mono-green ramp. Grinning Ignis combo is a deck. I saw 4-color human tribal.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

explorer is cool imo. there are three decks that are undisputed tier 1 but the rest of the format is very fluid. there are several tierlists out there but ime tier 1 is a lot closer to tier 2 than standard (and historic, at least back when I was playing it).

it's true that eternal formats become a lot more appealing the longer you play and the more invested you become. but there is appeal for newer players too, namely that your wildcards will have a lot more mileage than in any other constructed format on arena. every format gets new cards and bans over time, but there's no rotation like standard and Alchemy, and there are no rebalances like in alchemy or historic. so "buying in" is less of a risk, so to speak. if you've been playing the game consistently for longer than six months and expect not to stop any time soon, I would recommend making a budget explorer deck (which can be incrementally improved) and seeing how it works out.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/MTG_Arena/status/1564720529478930432

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I forgot how much Bo1 Amonkhet draft sucked, going second is so punishing

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Simply Simon posted:

This is every format on arena. I think you see more diversity than what you’re describing, but people tend to build and play the best decks when everything is equal in crafting cost.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The "Play HBrawl" suggestion was a good one. I guess I just need no stakes and nothing on the line lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oh this seems like a pretty good Curiosity for Standard...

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
ya i think mono blue tempo has legs maybe i hope come on

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Simply Simon posted:

Hell, it was a pleasant surprise to me when my Elspeth suddenly grew at double speed, let alone enter twice as fat

i was playing a GB deck and i dont think anyone is mentally prepared for an instant professor onyx activation lol

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i am, howmever, entirely convinced that they have designed the phone client specifically to make building new decks as unfun and annoying as possible

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
the phone client deckbuilder is incredibly painful to use. im pretty sure if you even lock your phone or swap apps you get booted back out of the building screen without it saving what youve done but that could have just been the app randomly crashing and me misremembering because i havent touched it in ages

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Whooping Crabs posted:

As a huge fan of early rotation last year, here is a fun combo deck to grind the farewell event

I gave this deck a spin. A bit unreliable, but extremely fun when it comes together. Thanks for posting it.

Highlight was my opponent conceding after their Crippling Fear did nothing because of my Maskwood Nexus.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

VictualSquid posted:

And they don't have the deck that defined the format, mono-w prison.
With faceless heavens and book of exalted deeds. Emberrassingly dumb in a format without land destruction.

This is spectacularly stupid, thank you for pointing it out.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Urcher posted:

I gave this deck a spin. A bit unreliable, but extremely fun when it comes together. Thanks for posting it.

Highlight was my opponent conceding after their Crippling Fear did nothing because of my Maskwood Nexus.

Oh yeah that is awesome. With this deck you definitely want to mulligan until you hit ramp, the 1-2 combo of Jaspera Sentinel into Magda can provide some explosive starts. Having all of your creature becoming giant trampling skeleton dwarves that generate treasures is very fun. Fragile though if they kill Magda right away. Deck was posted by LegenVD last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Tell you one card I'm getting sick of in Explorer - Fable of the Mirror Breaker. Can't remember the last time I played a game where someone involved didnt cast it at some point