Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Also really enjoying AKR limited. Here's my most recent sealed pile. Currently 4-2. unsure if this is the best way to go with this deck, both of my losses involved missing a key color early on. Can't help but love esper control though
Anyone more experienced have thoughts? I'm coming back to MTGA after a year or so off, and didn't play Amonkhet the first time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

wei posted:

Don't run the colourless desert in decks like these, your mana base is already stretched. The deck is probably going to be a lot more consistent if you cut black, you have a very strong UW pool.
Thanks for the input, that took me to 7-2!

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

went 3-3 in my first eldraine draft; BW knights with nothing special. didn't see a single blue or green mana symbol the whole draft, every single loving player was knights. what the gently caress is going on?

i saw probably 10 rimrock knights

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

The Fool posted:

Thanks for all the advice. I guess now I just need to play a bunch so I can start to internalize all the cards and abilities that have been added to the game in the last 20 years.

i'd recommend doing quick drafts too if you at all enjoy the format. there's no time limit on making picks for quick draft, so you can take as long as you need to mull over picks. the upside is the draft costs 5000 gold, but gives you gems for wins. spending 5k gold for your draft picks + 1 reward pack isn't a bad deal, and if you can eke out a few wins you'll start to accumulate a gem stash you can then use for doing sealed (whenever that comes back) or buying the new mastery pass when it comes out... or just buying more packs, whatever.

i personally prefer drafting over constructed so it's a win/win for me.

if you're not familiar with it, there's tons of introductory materials online on how to draft for beginners.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Lone Goat posted:

Sealed is generally available for the first two (or three? i forget) weeks of a format

thanks, i couldn't find info on that. i guess you could use gems to buy more quick drafts? would that be a waste?

i have 5k gems saved up from limited wins and i don't really know what to do with them other than wait and buy the new mastery pass

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

AngryBooch posted:

If rumors are to be believed then one of the Zendikar mechanics will be based around having different classes to form a "party" D&D style. So I'd expect there to be quite a few Warriors, Clerics, Rogues, and Wizards. Maybe some of the warriors will be relevant, hell, maybe there will be some slick equipment!

zendikar was such a cool setting with lots of mechanical flavor. i'm gonna be seriously disappointed if they turn it into ip superfriends storytime vehicle to sell lots of ancillary merch. the way wotc has been designing recurring characters like jace and lilliana for the last five or so years has really had a marvel superheroes feel to it. that vibe turned me off mtga back when i first tried it

come to think of it, the original zen block may have been like this too and i just ignored it

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

speaking of ugin, i quick drafted a pretty fun m21 izzet mill deck today. p1p1 tutelage, p3p1 ugin

did i build this as well as i could have?

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

lol, I just swung for 8 t3 with a lotus cobra + landfall pick and roiling regrowth, then mutated two greathorns onto it t4 and swung for 13

mono green ramp scoots ftw. don't even need the bugs to win usually

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

mostly garbage homebrew, i don't have the wcs to build anything proper yet.

loses a lot, but it can win very explosively

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

just went 7-2 with this ikoria BU pile, was a fun set of games. kinda sad i wasn't really playing mtga when ikoria first came out
(p1p1 the dirge bat)

i hardly had any choices when deck building just because i barely had enough b/u to make a deck

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Did a quick draft and bots just passed me every single goddamn card i could want, so cutting was hard. did i do it right?

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

holy poo poo, thanks dudes. my first zendikar draft in either red or white so I don't really know how to value them yet. i have a habit of going overboard on removal and forgetting i'm supposed to be swinging

e: how's my mdfc:land ratio? I've generally been counting them as a half rounded down.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Attestant posted:

I swear to god, I am not even playing the same game as some of these other drafters. I got to play against t1 Archpriest of Ionia, in to t2 Luminarch Aspirant, in to t3 Packbeast, in to t4 Squad Commander.

Where are my drafts that just feed me relevant synergistic rares like this.

one of my draft games had my opponent go t2 luminarch aspirant t3 luminarch aspirant #2. Yeah, I lost that one

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

What's the cut, limited nerds?

btw, I've been using mtga assistant for limited, as it has LSV's card ratings built in and I've always leaned on his opinions pretty hard. does mtga assistant have a way of linking whole drafts like 17 lands?

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Elswyyr posted:

I'm new to Arena. What's a good relatively cheap meta standard deck to make right now? I made most of this https://mtgazone.com/deck/izzet-spells-budget-zendikar-rising-standard-deck/ because I got a bunch of the rares and useful mythics from my 15 free packs from codes and the free dual colour starter decks, and it performs okay but I get absolutely loving destroyed by Clover, Omnath or Dimir rogues constantly, so I wanna have something stronger to aim for.

lurrus cycling is fun and doesn't need many wcs. you dont even necessarily need all the rare lands to start
https://aetherhub.com/Deck/lurrus-cycling-306492

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Finicums Wake posted:

what should the land base look like for this deck if i'm running it with only basic lands?

btw, looks like i screwed up and linked an old version of the cycling deck i'm running, here's what i'm actually playing with now in bo1

just use any fabled passages/needleverges you have and replace them with basics or RW taplands.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Shrecknet posted:

Can anyone tell me how to draft the triple-ruin crab or double Kor Preserver + all the good BW clerics decks I keep getting wrecked by? I always get the uncommons that are borderline unplayable and would like to just be handed a deck that steamrolled tia

lotta draft decks, including bw clerics and ug kicker, don't even really require the signpost uncommons to run well. the common bw clerics are the backbone of the deck, unc/rares are the frosting on top

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

InterrupterJones posted:

To anyone who has played Mill for a long time, does it always feel this amazing? I've been cruising through Platinum with the UB mill deck floating around. 4C adventures/Omnath decks are a breeze, and it feels pretty good against Esper Dance and most aggro decks too. The only struggle I have is against Rogues, since mill feels a little hard to race when it's in a pseudo mirror. Counters in general are no fun against this deck, but otherwise it's been a blast.

have you encountered any cycling decks? how's your matchup if so? it's been funny to me to go up against mill as that one because you can just go face with a 15 damage zenith flare turn 4

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

did kind of a goofy quick draft where i ended up with a mixed bag of synergies. p1p3 roost told me i had to switch off clerics into kicker. black stayed okay-ish enough that i just stuck with it, plus the drana obviously... tell me about any sketchy picks i made.
https://www.17lands.com/draft/78be5c00976946bc882d9b9ad3c6fdb6

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

wei posted:

P1P4 Sejiri Shelter > Healer
P2P4 Jwari Disruption > Research, we should expect to get a Research later and we already have a draw spell
P2P6 Glacial Grasp is okay but Feed is premium removal
P2P7 Squid is better, I usually don't get enough wizards in UB to be running Chilling Trap
P2P9 Squid again, I like 2 drops
P3P7 I really like a copy of Blood Beckoning in my UB decks, but can accept Relic Amulet since it probably won't need much more to be good in the deck
P3P10 Shell Shield's pretty good in this deck. It's a kicker and Amulet enabler, and kinda does the same thing as Duelist in combat and can also protect Drana

I've been doing well with UB decks built like this, the U kicker/value side of things is really strong even without a lot of Rogue synergies. I would have really liked some Squids because they're pretty key in this deck, being great blockers and also a decent clock against slower decks.

You don't need 3 draw spells, and Drana's Silencer is clunky. I want at least 18 lands in blue-heavy decks because I really want to get to 6 lands in play.

-Skyclave Plunder -Drana's Silencer -Cleric of Chill Depths -Glacial Grasp
+Shell Shield +Zulaport Duelist +Island +Malakir Blood-Priest/Skyclave Sentinel

Thanks. the picks you're pointing out make me realize i actually wasn't really sticking with black. i totally switched off black hoping to be ug kicker but yeah. shouldve just read the signals earlier and took the good black stuff that was right there

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

i really want to make that UR draw deck because it looks fun as gently caress but i just spent all my rare wcs making this monoblack discard deck

a version of it was posted itt a while back but i changed it a bit to get in some enchantment hate for the loving mill decks. mostly a slow grind while opponent is just topdecking and i'm draining them with liliana

also pretty funny to t1 duress away a mono red's embercleave and get the snap concede

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I can't imagine a situation where i don't take a roost pack 1. it's nearly the best limited card in the set

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I was gonna say roost until i realized how well the maul fits in the clerics deck... man, that would be something to experience

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Sodomeow posted:

play one of the decks that runs an escape dude like Kroxa or that Green Black dude who fights guys

You could try brewing up something to hate on mill decks, too! basically all you need to counter mill is a few midnight clocks and some hand disruption. throw in some gy hate for the escape decks via crypts or soul-guide lantern. if you can get enough maindeckable artifacts, emry might be worth it, too. maybe some enchantment removal to mess up felidar retreat. has the added benefit of working against tutelage and some of the annoying white decks, too

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I just brewed up a mono-U kicker tempo deck, its been fun. Drop roosts whenever possible, and play bounces/snares for profit. I'd probably add another castle or two and maybe another chronicler if i had the wcs. barrins are nice to get some value off playing kicker creatures early, especially if i'm facing a deck with no good bounce targets. clock is almost entirely there to make me feel less hosed when facing mill decks. i'm 76% wins in the play queue so far. havent tried in ranked.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

btw you can roil/barrin your own jace and replay it to make extra tokens

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

VictualSquid posted:

I just played against esper control, but for some reason he was running neither ardenvale or crawling barrens. He lost both games against my barrens.

If you are already playing mono-blue I would run oracle instead of clock as anti mill.

Perfect, I totally forgot about oracle

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

VictualSquid posted:

If you are already playing mono-blue I would run oracle instead of clock as anti mill.

thanks again for the tip. it feels so good to watch a mill player dig their own grave :cabot:

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

cascade singleton is kinda nuts when you go off. t2 cobra into goose, t3 ashaya into scythecat, t4 stonecoil serpent for 8. lol.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

welfarestateofmind posted:

Just wanted to thank you for this inspiration. I really like the kicker archetype (used to play the Simic version) and after some tooling I actually found a UB version that ended up taking me finally to mythic this month. The Skyclave Shade in particular generates huge value from its Landfall recursion, and Bloodchief's Thirst helps fill in the needed hole for permanent removal for things that just can't stay on the board. And it works with Stormcaller!

Here's the final version. You thought Shark Week was bad? Try Drake Month.

(As others have suggested, I might've swapped in Thassa's Oracle to deal with mill decks as generally Midnight Clock is too slow to handle them consistently, even if you get it out Turn 3. But I don't have any in my collection and no wildcards to spend atm.)

Hell yeah, I’m so happy my deck served as inspiration! Adding black is a great call as there’s definitely a good portion of the field that can outvalue you just based on etb effects alone, making all the bounces worthless. And I love skyclave shade

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Couch Life posted:

Why does everyone have that ridiculous shark enchantment card now? Why do I never draw my enchantment removal the entire game after seeing it?

to reiterate, if you're routinely seeing someone hard cast a do-nothing enchantment for 6 and then start outvaluing you on the following turns, your deck has problems

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

did a very goofy bot draft where i ended up in jund landfall with ashaya and lotus cobra plus enough incidental life gain to make scion of the swarm decent. 3-0 so far. tell me if there were any obvious turning points in the draft where i made mistakes. or, yknow, if there's any glaring issues in my deck. hitting mana sources seems a tad scary, but between my green ramp and the wildfires i feel okayish
draft - deck

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

sit on my Facebook posted:

If I target my gearhulk with both the "bounce a permanent" and "copy a creature" modes, the copy will fizzle because the card resolves one mode at a time in the printed order, is that correct?

Gatherer says it must be done in the order on the card, so correct. wrong

On the plus side, if you have two epiphanies in your gy, you can copy the gearhulk to flashback the second epiphany. you could also flashback any other spell when you copy the gearhulk. cool interaction!

Hooplah fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 11, 2020

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Just 0-3'd a sealed by facing off against opponents three games in a row that played the same poo poo i did but a little bigger (pool, deck). like, i play master trinketeer and oppo plays the same card then follows up with a metallic mimic. oppo plays fabrication module, i play fabrication module, then oppo blows mine up and grows his creatures into a win. i have some feel bads right now.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

thespaceinvader posted:

Does anyone have a good standard kicker deck?

It is a fun mechanic but building it is kind of too much choice...

Give this a shot:

Deck
3 Bubble Snare (ZNR) 47
4 Roost of Drakes (ZNR) 74
4 Into the Roil (ZNR) 62
3 Thieving Skydiver (ZNR) 85
10 Island (ZNR) 381
2 Inscription of Insight (ZNR) 61
2 Tazeem Roilmage (ZNR) 84
1 Castle Vantress (ELD) 242
1 Clearwater Pathway (ZNR) 260
4 Stern Dismissal (THB) 68
2 Field Research (ZNR) 58
2 Sea Gate Restoration (ZNR) 76
2 Sea Gate Stormcaller (ZNR) 77
3 Coralhelm Chronicler (ZNR) 54
3 Bloodchief's Thirst (ZNR) 94
4 Skyclave Shade (ZNR) 125
2 Temple of Deceit (THB) 245
1 Castle Locthwain (ELD) 241
7 Swamp (ZNR) 273

Sideboard
4 Negate (ZNR) 71
3 Ghastly Gloomhunter (ZNR) 103
3 Soul-Guide Lantern (THB) 237
2 Thassa's Oracle (THB) 73
3 Feed the Swarm (ZNR) 102

My lands aren't totally perfect yet. need the wcs for the full pathway set. This is a really fun deck though

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

A Moose posted:

I've determined through 4 0-3's in a row, that 17 lands is way too many, and ridiculous bombs matter more than anything else. I've never beaten anyone that threw down a nissa, scrapheap scrounger, etc.

Also, every pack makes me pivot to a new archetype, but statistically, the best cards I'll ever see in a draft are ALWAYS in pack 3 and NEVER in the archetype I've settled on by then. This set is insanely hard and by the time I figure out how to draft it, it'll be over. If you haven't drafted a set before, DO NOT DRAFT REMASTERED SETS. It's absolutely not worht it, you will never figure it out and get wins before its over.

just lost a game to the jankiest mono-green deck, he had the Consulate's Turret/Fabrication Module combo and used a 13/12 deathtouch and 12/16 wall to hold back my entire board causing me to lose so hard the deck basically retired itself

welp, posting this for comedy value. here's the 4 drafts I did. you can tell me what I did wrong but I'm done drafting this set and probably drafting forever because if you're as bad as me it would cost WAY too much money get merely "bad" at drafting. I'm sick of throwing money into this hole. I'll stick with constructed.

https://www.17lands.com/draft/89a39bdbab464333a4e74dd83aef3668

https://www.17lands.com/draft/d2f7f7946ce64b45b01f31dbbd593c29

https://www.17lands.com/draft/93999d1a7dfa49f6a920bc29a1ee2fd7

https://www.17lands.com/draft/3f46a4883a464719973c354c8920c291

welcome to the bawler's guildhall

for my own whining, between my last sealed 0-3 and this last eld quick draft where i went 1-3, i'm now below 50% winrate in limited, so i know i'm a bad player officially

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

i keep coming back to the last q&a limited resources did where they went on a very long tangent about what it means to get emotionally invested in winning and losing and how to manage expectations. i keep coming back to it because i tend to take my losses as personal failures and it can sometimes lead to having actual effects on my mood outside the game. if anyone else has that issue i highly recommend checking that out because it's super insightful. also lr is just a great podcast for getting better at the best mtg format

here's a yt link with timestamp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hldK1BXPgU&t=1231s

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

little munchkin posted:

bo1 drafting in a nutshell

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Kevin DuBrow posted:

If you're extremely angry at mill decks you could look into the cards with a" shuffle graveyard into your library" effect especially as sideboard, we had some rotate out but Gaea's Blessing is still in.

E: whoops never mind

literally the only card in standard (that i'm aware of) that does this is midnight clock, which comes down t3, does absolutely loving nothing, then you either spend MORE mana to do nothing, or on turn 9 you finally scoop your yard into library. it's really not good against a low to the ground rogues deck, and dedicated mill can probably deck you before t9 with no interaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Someone tell me if I actually got there in eldraine quick draft. I know I committed right away but I felt pretty paid off. Did I make a decent draw 2 deck??

Draft: https://www.17lands.com/draft/fbc28ffe3fbe41fd8a0ff2355b5b4ae2
Deck: https://www.17lands.com/deck/fbc28ffe3fbe41fd8a0ff2355b5b4ae2

I’ve only done a few eld drafts and none with other players so I know very little about what’s good beyond knowing the draw two deck is apparently hard to make come together