Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

bony tony posted:

I FORGOT ABOUT CAT CLOCK

How could you forget about cat clock!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So would you call the product of an offline bloodstain a... devenant?

e: I sure as hell don't remember a goddamn ninja yoki in the first real level - is that a difficulty setting or something?

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Sep 11, 2019

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
The language question is one that is handled really well even within the mother language. There’s a couple of times that Hanzo comments on other characters in the very stereotypically Japanese “I don’t like this guy but I can’t really SAY that” way and while the English subtitle comes through translated in the restrained, measured way the words imply, Hanzo’s word choice is such that he is using the absolute minimum number of syllables he possibly can to make his statement, which colloquially is a pretty clear signal of dislike or contempt.

It’s not something you would notice unless you’re familiar with Japanese convention though, so I point it out when it comes up.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_h7flfMCrHs

Kinda funny how a trailer for the sequel appeared just as I watching the latest update.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

anilEhilated posted:

I sure as hell don't remember a goddamn ninja yoki in the first real level - is that a difficulty setting or something?

Nope, that one is always there. Nioh's kind of funny in that it gives you the arguably hardest of the three Yoki types in the first real level and then gives us the weakest one a bit later. The Twilight version of the level also has a Ninja Yoki in the lower part of the shortcut where you kick down the ladder, near the first shrine.

Cooked Auto posted:

Kinda funny how a trailer for the sequel appeared just as I watching the latest update.

Oh man, that looks great. Those bosses and enemies look way crazier than what we're getting right now. That's not to say the bosses in Nioh aren't wild in their own way but the Nioh 2 ones are ramping it up a bit. The alpha I got to play of Nioh 2 had two stages with two bosses and they were pretty nuts. Also for those wondering, the Nioh 2 Living Weapon system is being changed so now you turn into a Fiend-like creature yourself, with the Guardian Spirit dictating what form/moveset that is, as opposed to Nioh's system where the moveset is dictated by the weapons.

I could talk about what I got out of two stages in Nioh 2's Alpha for HOURS but hey, gonna spend that energy on the first one instead.

TheLastRoboKy fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Sep 11, 2019

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

TheLastRoboKy posted:

There aren't many "happy" stories about the Tower of London.

Yeah, not even W.S.Gilbert could tell a funny story about it.

Although there is the one about Colonel Thomas Blood (really, that was his name!) who not only managed to steal the Crown Jewels, but also persuaded King Charles II to pardon him.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?

Cooked Auto posted:

Video is now unavailable.

Zylo the Wolfbane
Mar 21, 2013
I'm getting the odd nagging feeling that someone may have fallen through numerous holes in various roofs at some point in time... probably just me though huh?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

This episode vindicates so much clowning I got on the streams you have no idea

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Zylo the Wolfbane posted:

I'm getting the odd nagging feeling that someone may have fallen through numerous holes in various roofs at some point in time... probably just me though huh?

A little bit here, a little bit there.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

cokerpilot posted:

Video is now unavailable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFDnUkiZQZ0
Video is now available.

Zylo the Wolfbane
Mar 21, 2013
I will say that I'm very much looking forward to you guys doing this game. I've always liked the look of Nioh but never managed to get around to playing it. I meant to quite a few times, but never managed to be in a position to get it when I remembered about grabbing it. It always looked like it could really scratch that itch I had for Dark Souls combat, without the... well, all the issues I had with Dark Souls (Namely the community around it at this point sadly.) and I really do like that third person action combat but more methodical than something like DMC or Bayonetta etc. Nioh also seemed to actually embrace their freedom and do a lot MORE with the combat than Dark Souls ever tried to do. Your weapon style seems to matter a LOT more, and the different moves and levelling types with the magic and the ninja stuff always looked really interesting. So it'll definitely be nice to watch you guys go all the way through it.

I've tried to watch like 2-3 different playthroughs of this game but they never finished. If I remember right both Slowbeef and Highwang tried to get all the way through it but both dropped it pretty early on. So it'll be nice to see you guys get deeper in the game. Especially since I know Coolguy will have plenty of fun topics to bring up, and RoboKy will get up to some... shenanigans, I'm sure.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

I've tried to watch like 2-3 different playthroughs of this game but they never finished.

The Witcher 1 of Souls-like LPs.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Believe me, I had a big long think about how much I wanted to do Nioh simply because I knew from personal experience how daunting this game actually is. The longer the LP the more prone you are to something going wrong, especially if you have a co-commentator or two.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Episode 3... & 4!

Today we learn to be ninjas.

Episode 3: Overworld Chat and Way of the Ninja NoviceYoutube | Polsy
Episode 4: Death to BanditsYoutube | Polsy

A double-header you say? Yeah I decided to split this one up because the first video is menu chat, while the second video is actual side-mission gameplay. That way people don't have to flick through the words words words if they just want to see the chop chop chop. I also decided to release them both at once because making everyone wait a week for an 11 minutes shop-chat video followed by another week wait for a 17 minute video seemed kinda shite.

We also do get a little lore this week!

Characters

Entry 2: Clear “Way of the Ninja Novice”

Senji Tome – A Blacksmith of a unique lineage in Japan, Tome tends to her family forge while awaiting the return of her Grandfather, Senji Muramasa . Unlike most any other weapons-maker in Japan Tome's family works with Amrita in their craft, granting their creations attributes that many find otherworldly or abhorrent. With a life spent learning the family business and working in it, Tome enjoys prodding William for stories of his travels and adventures in the outside world.
Entry 1: Visit the Blacksmith

TheLastRoboKy fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 18, 2019

Zylo the Wolfbane
Mar 21, 2013
I think my favorite minor aesthetic thing in Nioh is how ABSOLUTELY STRAPPED your character is. Like, every single weapon you have equipped is actually shown on your character at all times. So you're just wandering around with a huge Odachi, a Katana, a full longbow, and a goddamn flintlock, WHILE in your full armor and you're just rolling and running around without batting an eye. It's the perfect mix of ridiculousness and awesomeness. It's one of those minor things that so few games do, but is just awesome to see when games actually show off how much ridiculous stuff is just completely tied all over your character.

I'm really looking forward to seeing more of the weapons and seeing the ninja stuff. Almost all the Nioh content I've seen has primarily only been like, Spear/Odachi stuff with almost no Ninja/Onmyoji stuff being done. So I'm really interested to see how all the weapons and the different styles and skills and all that awesome stuff works out. The Ninja stuff being refreshable consumable items is actually a really interesting mechanic and it looks like there's a LOT of interesting items you're able to choose from later.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Also flicking blood off your glorious hanzo steel is why Nioh is the best.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

I think my favorite minor aesthetic thing in Nioh is how ABSOLUTELY STRAPPED your character is. Like, every single weapon you have equipped is actually shown on your character at all times. So you're just wandering around with a huge Odachi, a Katana, a full longbow, and a goddamn flintlock, WHILE in your full armor and you're just rolling and running around without batting an eye. It's the perfect mix of ridiculousness and awesomeness. It's one of those minor things that so few games do, but is just awesome to see when games actually show off how much ridiculous stuff is just completely tied all over your character.

I'm really looking forward to seeing more of the weapons and seeing the ninja stuff. Almost all the Nioh content I've seen has primarily only been like, Spear/Odachi stuff with almost no Ninja/Onmyoji stuff being done. So I'm really interested to see how all the weapons and the different styles and skills and all that awesome stuff works out. The Ninja stuff being refreshable consumable items is actually a really interesting mechanic and it looks like there's a LOT of interesting items you're able to choose from later.

The ninja items I tend to use won't be unlocked for a while, same with the magic. I'll do my best to show it off when I get to it but otherwise I'm hoarding my points or spending them on passives.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

I never really went into Ninja stuff besides the big obvious staples (some throwing stars to pull enemies, quiiick chaaange scroollssss) but Omnyo magic gives you a level of flexibility and problem solving power that is hard to beat.

Divination scrolls make level exploring a breeze, elemental shots and weapon enchantments can make enemies go from right bastards to easy pickings.

Guardian spirit talismans produce a different effect depending on the equipped guardian spirit making them probably the single more versatile thing you can invest in and they are So Good. And those are just simple straight forward things, the really powerful stuff I've not even mentioned. You can break the game over your knee with Omnyo.

Are you playing Nioh and have not done any Onmyo stuff before. Give it a shot, I'm not saying be a mage just pick some skills and have fun with them. At least grab some Guardian Spirit talismans.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
Just wanted to point out something that I'm not entirely sure you've mentioned in the videos, but unlike Dark Souls your weapon(s) has absolutely no bearing on your equip load. Only armor interacts with that stat. Makes it a lot easier to use a variety of weapons (which you want to do anyway for the free Samurai skill points from building weapon proficiency, although I don't believe you've delved into that yet either) and find a combination you're most comfortable with without having to awkwardly juggle armor and end up using perhaps lighter armor than you'd like.

I've not beaten the game myself (probably not even close honestly), but I find I tend to prefer a mix of heavy/medium armor and keep my agility in the mid-range. And like RoboKy, I love the Odachi immensely. Kusarigama I'm... not comfortable using. Regardless, I'll definitely be looking forward to more videos!

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Yeah we never mention that, it's basically armour that assaults your weight. I tend to favour lighter stuff cause Agility Attack Bonus is great when you get it and Spirit Defense Bonus on some light gear is fantastic. We're going to use all the weapon types and it's going to be a mixed bag lemme tell ya, and not just for the Samurai points oh no. If we want to show off every single stage in the game it's basically mandatory!

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Episode 5

Originally I typed “sexy limestone” into google for a picture and learned more about My Little Pony fans that I would have liked.

Episode 5: Deep in the ShadowsYoutube | Polsy

In today's episode William does a favour for an actual person that really existed! In spite of the fact we're going to go into a deep, bandit-infested cave, we're going to start seeing some of the charm that Nioh has coming out in both story and gameplay. We'll also start seeing even more of the status effects and weird items that the game tosses out along the way.

Characters

Hattori Hanzo
Entry 3: Clear “Deep in the Shadows”

Kuroda Nagamasa – The very picture of the earnest, honest samurai who is quick to make new friends and slow to forgive old enemies. Nagamasa fights to honour his father and avenge a perceived slight against him, and is not afraid to tell anyone so. However in spite of his martial prowess and enthusiasm to the task, he's no match for the otherwordly nature of Yokai.
Entry 1: Clear “Deep in the Shadows”

Kuroda Kanbei – A former general and tactician of the previous overlord, there are few minds in this era more shrewd, revered and feared than that of Kanbei's. Even as his body falls apart under the strain of an old wound, he holds onto his old ambitions and takes every little advantage that comes his way in order to see his son's future prosper.

Okatsu – A Kunoichi trained by Hattori Hanzo, who continues to serve her teacher as an extra set of eyes and another sharp blade to rely on. While her skills in ninjitsu rival that of Hanzo, she lacks his more even temperament and her tongue is sharp. The greatest object of her disdain are samurai and the age of conflict she believes they have brought upon her homeland.

Yokai

Yoki (Weak)

Skeleton Warrior (Standard, Large) – For warriors that perish with lingering negative emotions, peace in the afterlife is less assured. Some fallen warriors may rise again with their weapons clutched in rotted fingers, striking out at the unfortunates who disturb their place of demise.
Entry 1

One-Eyed Oni – Unlike the Yoki who are created from humans, these Cyclopean Fiends are formed from more beastly and primal elements in nature. Their immense bodies are as powerful as they look, and though their fists can strike with crushing force their sheer bulk propelled through the air is no less deadly.
Entry 1

Nurikabe – Not every Yokai that one can encounter in Japan is a bloodthirsty fiend that is bound to attack a person on sight. Some just enjoy being a nuisance, or seek a moment of communication with any human that comes their way. The Nurikabe is a Yokai that takes the form of a wall and blocks off pathways, but a traveller may convince them to move on if they choose their manners correctly. Failure to stay on this wall-Yokai's good side will always end in crushing disappointment.
Entry 1

Kappa – The Kappa is a cowardly river imp that seeks to drown the unwary, or even worse to steal their souls out from their anus before pilfering their belongings. The shell of the Kappa is where they store their rectally-acquired Amrita, giving it a great resistance to any blows that land upon it. They will seek to flee from anyone that attacks them, but should they be defeated the victor will gain a bounty in riches.
Entry 1

Hino-enma – A Yokai that seduces men with the form of a beautiful maiden in order to drain them of their blood until they are dead. Sharing qualities with bats, they are capable of flight and projecting their voice as a directed sonic attack that can paralyse anyone struck by it. Either by clouding their mind or immobilizing their body the Hin-enma cares little how their prey falls into their grasp, simply that their desire to feed is sated if only for a short moment before moving on to the next.
Entry 1

Guardian Spirits

Fuse-ushi

TheLastRoboKy fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Sep 25, 2019

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

poo poo, 'William' would indeed be real hard to do with Japanese phonemes, wouldn't it?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Wait what the gently caress cat clock was a real thing??
https://web-japan.org/museum/others/ninja/ninja03/wisdom02.html

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

Wait what the gently caress cat clock was a real thing??
https://web-japan.org/museum/others/ninja/ninja03/wisdom02.html
I don't know about the accuracy of the cat eye clock, but the link also said this "...the "ninja" were experts at various martial arts..." which is not really accurate. While there was almost certainly ninjas who were great fighters, hardly all of them were so. Heck, the great fighters were probably among the minority of the ninjas. The site also shows the ninjas in the mythical black pajamas, making me seriously suspect that it has very little historical accuracy.

Crystalgate fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 25, 2019

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
The closest thing I've ever seen to a real cat sundial is when my cat slowly moves across the floor to follow the sunbeam he's sleeping in... to the point that he's worn down parts of the carpet in the spare room.

Deadmeat5150 fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 25, 2019

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Crystalgate posted:

I don't know about the accuracy of the cat eye clock, but the link also said this "...the "ninja" were experts at various martial arts..." which is not really accurate. While there was almost certainly ninjas who were great fighters, hardly all of them were so. Heck, the great fighters were probably among the minority of the ninjas. The site also shows the ninjas in the mythical black pajamas, making me seriously suspect that it has very little historical accuracy.
I would honestly suspect any source that treats ninjas as A Thing That Existed apart from the garden variety spies and soldiers. If I remember correctly, all the ninja stories are of much later date and heavily romanticized as a result.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Yeah this seems very Gurorios Nihon

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

bony tony posted:

Yeah this seems very Gurorios Nihon

I mean it's a concept that exists outside of this fiction in so far as Yokai exist

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Crystalgate posted:

The site also shows the ninjas in the mythical black pajamas, making me seriously suspect that it has very little historical accuracy.

I've always loved how that bit came to be.
In case our readers don't know, "ninjas wear highly recognizable all black body-hugging suits" actually comes from Noh theater. Unlike Western theater, Noh doesn't do acts or curtain drops and every prop-handling or scenery changing is done right in front of the audience while the play is going on. In order not to be too distracting, the set crew wears all black in order to merge with the black curtain behind the stage while play watchers pretend not to notice they're there.
But some playwrights got the notion to use that stage convention to break the fourth wall when "suddenly MURDER" was called for, in which case a stage attendant could go from handling props to being part of the play itself, which I'm sure was a big "wow, wait, what ?!" before that, too, became a stale bit of stage convention.

And now you too know why fictional ninjas always wear all black even though it's hella conspicuous.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

tonga bitches

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Cat-clock mostly exists as a way to introduce Nekomata, so I wouldn't worry too much about it it's not going to come up ever again. Ninjas however we'll be putting up with for a long time and boy howdy you ain't seen nothin' yet!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Kobal2 posted:

I've always loved how that bit came to be.
In case our readers don't know, "ninjas wear highly recognizable all black body-hugging suits" actually comes from Noh theater. Unlike Western theater, Noh doesn't do acts or curtain drops and every prop-handling or scenery changing is done right in front of the audience while the play is going on. In order not to be too distracting, the set crew wears all black in order to merge with the black curtain behind the stage while play watchers pretend not to notice they're there.
But some playwrights got the notion to use that stage convention to break the fourth wall when "suddenly MURDER" was called for, in which case a stage attendant could go from handling props to being part of the play itself, which I'm sure was a big "wow, wait, what ?!" before that, too, became a stale bit of stage convention.

And now you too know why fictional ninjas always wear all black even though it's hella conspicuous.

Incidentally, this is also why stagehands wear black, and why stagehands that have to go do things on stage in front of the audience are called ninjas.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
This LP made me restart Nioh again and I finally managed to reach the Hino-enma and goddamn, you guy really clowned her considering that she´s handed me my rear end around 20 times by now. I´m starting to consider whether I should keep banging my head against the wall or if I should return to the worldmap to craft some better gear.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Sylphosaurus posted:

This LP made me restart Nioh again and I finally managed to reach the Hino-enma and goddamn, you guy really clowned her considering that she´s handed me my rear end around 20 times by now. I´m starting to consider whether I should keep banging my head against the wall or if I should return to the worldmap to craft some better gear.
What kind of weapon you are using? Reach really helps against her - I felt like bashing my head into a wall while using my primary tonfas and switching to a spear worked like magic.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Sylphosaurus posted:

I can always recommend slapping some revenants for gear and Amrita. Also it's easier to run sideways to avoid her screaming attack and her diving attack. "Don't get greedy" is probably the biggest thing, and don't expect to be matching how I do it because I've fought her so many times I feel like I know what she's going to do before she does it. There's also a dude's comments in the video who outlines some interesting facts about the boss as well that might help. Don't get discouraged!

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

What kind of weapon you are using? Reach really helps against her - I felt like bashing my head into a wall while using my primary tonfas and switching to a spear worked like magic.

Hino-Enma is perfectly doable once you get used to her patterns... but you don't have to just get used to her patterns.

Use throwing weapons like Shuriken and Kunai when she's in the air to get her back down. The game gives you those as normal consumables or you can get them from Ninjutsu.

As the video shows anti-paralysis needles will help with being frozen in place.

Guardian Spirit attacks knock her down to the ground to give you a bunch of free hits. You can make those happen a few ways. First the game has probably dropped a few Moment Talismans, you can use Onmyo skillpoints for Guardian Spirit talismans. When you are in Living Weapon mode you can press the button combo you use to enter Living Weapon again, to make your Guardian Spirit do its attack.

Just be aware that her first thing to do when she gets up from her hunched down state is to do a grab attack so do not get greedy.

You can play Nioh as a game all about hitting things with a weapon, but there is a reason you have an inventory of consumables, a bunch of special skills, a living weapon and both a Ninjutsu and a Omnyo skill tree.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Crystalgate posted:

The part with the full plate armor actually made sense. It is fully possible to swim in full plate (as well as to climb, roll, cartwheel and so on) and musket balls fired from close range was one of the few things that would go trough plate.

Depends on the era - by the late Renaissance plate cuirasses could be bulletproof - it's even whence the word comes from. In order to prove the worth of their stuff, armourers would organize demos where a pistol or musket was fired at the plate from a short range, to ensure the ball would land somewhere in the general vicinity of the cuirass. If the armour was worth a gently caress the ball would only leave a round dent : the "proof" that the armour could withstand getting shot at.

Probably felt like getting kicked by a mule, though.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Episode 6

Today we return to the village for one last side mission. We can't really tell you if it's the last side mission because the game simply moves on, or it's because there isn't a village there any more. They should probably just sink the island.

Episode 6: Wreathed in Flame - Youtube | Polsy

Yokai

Oni-bi (Fire, Water, Lightning, Earth, Wind) – When a lingering soul combines with a singular elemental power it is possible for these flying demon-heads to appear. Though most commonly seen in the aspect of fire, the Oni-bi can also be made of the elements of water, wind, lightning and earth. Weak but persistent in their attacks, a defeated Oni-bi will imbue its elemental typing upon the weapon that strikes it down.
Entry 1

Wheelmonk – The origin of this flame-wreathed yokai claims to be one of cruel and bloodthirsty generals forced into punishment in the afterlife. Their disembodied head all but shaved in penitence but for long threads that are lashed to a burning ox-cart wheel, there is no sign of contrition in the behaviour of these entities. Wherever a Wheelmonk goes a trail of fire, death and pitiless laughter follows.
Entry 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
We need a list of all the silly title you are getting.

**Blows apart dude with shotgun analogue**

>>SHARPSHOOTER SAMURAI<<