Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Episode 7

Dipping back into the caverns for a little bit, William ruminates on the slippery nature of the katana. Also haircuts.

Episode 7: “Finders, Keepers” and “Kanbei and the Overlord” - Youtube | Polsy

Characters

Entry 2: Complete “Finders, Keepers”

Entry 2: Complete “Finders, Keepers”
Entry 3: Complete “Kanbei and the Overlord”

Yokai

Biwa Boku-Boku – A physically weak yokai that takes the form of a lute, and uses its music to lure travellers to their demise. So otherworldly are its strings the Biwa Boku-Boku can summon Oni-bi from thin air, or raise the dead as revenants to fight on their behalf.
Entry 1

Guardian Spirits

Mizuchi

TheLastRoboKy fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Oct 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

parries look cool tho, and they are fun to do

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Trick Question posted:

Yeah, in Nioh especially they look great I was just pretty much not used to the parry window for the kuri due to barely ever using it. The katana and I are friendly enough with one another I can do its parries a lot more reliably. Coolguy has strong opinions on them and he's not wrong but at the same time they're not even remotely essential towards beating the game and I like the flourish they add to making your bushido feel big and strong.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Ah the Spear, my weapon of choice honestly. Frankly its pretty middle of the pack as a weapon goes but when you unlock some additional moves, especially Spear Fall you can just wreck human enemies with it. The fact that its designated stat is also the health stat helps you be flexible in your build too.

The high stance overheads like most high stance overheads are great to smash Yokai horns, the middle stance is a good all around balance and the low stance is a little awkward to use. It does feature a lot of individual hits though which is great if you want to apply weapon inflicted status effects to enemies.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

He's from hundreds of years prior to all of this, but all this talk of amazing hats and distinctive armor reminds me of my favorite samurai, Takezaki Suenaga.

He commissioned a scroll of his deeds in the Mongol invasion that I read a translation of ages ago when I was taking some classes on Japanese history in college, and he's always stuck with me. The whole thing is about both his experiences in the Mongol Invasion, but also his attempts to actually get paid for his deeds by the Kamakura Bakufu, because he was too impetuous in battle and didn't wait for enough witnesses to mark his deeds directly.

He was eventually successful and got rewards and recognition, so good on you, crazy ancient samurai.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Night10194 posted:

He's from hundreds of years prior to all of this, but all this talk of amazing hats and distinctive armor reminds me of my favorite samurai, Takezaki Suenaga.

He commissioned a scroll of his deeds in the Mongol invasion that I read a translation of ages ago when I was taking some classes on Japanese history in college, and he's always stuck with me. The whole thing is about both his experiences in the Mongol Invasion, but also his attempts to actually get paid for his deeds by the Kamakura Bakufu, because he was too impetuous in battle and didn't wait for enough witnesses to mark his deeds directly.

He was eventually successful and got rewards and recognition, so good on you, crazy ancient samurai.

Genuinely badass but also hilariously relatable

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Trick Question posted:

this is a perfectly good reasoning for liking parries.

pretending they are 'HIGH SKILL LOW DRAG' mechanics when most soulslikes implement the learning process as a largely arbitrary genital mutilation puzzle box, though, is what i take exception to.

Zylo the Wolfbane
Mar 21, 2013
Coolguy, you might like Code Vein's parries a bit more, each of them has a distinctive flash when using them to show the timing when the enemy's attack should be impacting your parry attempt.

Personally I've always enjoyed parries, but they are almost never actually HARD in Soulslikes, usually it's just a matter of learning a single trick and then you can do it consistently all the time. I know in Dark Souls 1 for example if you parry right when the enemy's wrist starts moving for their attack you'd get it like 99% of the time. That's not hard, it just forced you to learn timing for something that is vague and unclear. That's not difficult, that's just unclear. So I can understand that point at least. People who act like parries are some huge nigh-impossible show of skill are just being stupid.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Zylo the Wolfbane posted:

Personally I've always enjoyed parries, but they are almost never actually HARD in Soulslikes, usually it's just a matter of learning a single trick and then you can do it consistently all the time. I know in Dark Souls 1 for example if you parry right when the enemy's wrist starts moving for their attack you'd get it like 99% of the time
this is not applicable in the case of silver knights or painting guardians. both of those enemies you need to parry later than that because their move telegraph is frontloaded, versus the black knight's slower strikes, for example. watching their wrist will make you parry too early, and you must watch their weapon's point instead. it's loving shock therapy that you relearn on a per-enemy basis. it's a terribly implemented and terribly communicated mechanic and there are certainly games that have tried to fix them (from Roboky's reports, Sekiro does an OK job of this) and it has always bugged me that the epitome of skill is equated with screwing around with the least functional and most esoteric mechanics. parries aren't even as effective as slice and dice fundamentals in most soulslikes! speedrunners barely bother with them! it bothers the hell out of me that people pretend like this is some high zenith of skill when it's just an odd-and-end mechanic that was mostly implemented on friday mornings before the weekly meeting and tested on friday afternoons when the testers were already opening the first beers of the weekend.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

I know you can parry silver knights by just hitting the button when they step forward.

I get what you're saying, but it's not like the games themselves ever say that parrying is the epitome of skill. They're just another option for players who enjoy that sort of gameplay.

They're way better when they're near the start of an animation so you can use them on reaction instead of like half a second into a weird animation that doesn't make any sense. Like, backwave and dragonslayer are good because the parry frames start like 1/10th of a second after you hit the button so it's perfectly reasonable to time that out, and if you gently caress it up you still guard the attack. Or at least when it's super-obvious where the parry frames are, like in bloodborne. DS1-3 are horrible for this.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Coolguye posted:

(from Roboky's reports, Sekiro does an OK job of this)

Sekiro's parries have a noticeably longer window, but I think the most important difference is this: if you try to parry in Sekiro, but miss the window, you still block the attack (it's just not a parry). In these other games, pressing the parry button when you're not extremely confident about the timing is an enormous risk; if you're a frame too early you're going to eat a giant demon to the face. So it's both miserable to learn and too risky to actually use until you do. And that's not to mention all the boss attacks that just outright can't be parried.

Meanwhile, the roll button is right there.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah. Basically the only two games to ever do parrying right were Sekiro and MGR: Revengeance because they don't murder you for not getting it perfectly right.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

One of the funny things about the Katana in Nioh is that you have (I think) two parries you can do, but on top of that you can also get a "block at the right time to stagger the enemy" move AND a "block at the right time when hitting an enemy who is blocking to shove them off balance" move. I can never get the timing right on the latter but drat if I don't wish all the weapons had that function because Revenants in heavy armour can get super block-happy.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

The second is actually done by breaking the enemy's guard with a regular attack and then tapping L1 a moment later. It's kind of worthless, because you don't generally break guards with regular attacks and if they drop their guard it won't work! Meanwhile the first can't be used while moving, because there's always some bullshit.

This guy explains it better than I do. It's also the only video I could find that demonstrates the guard break as opposed to the parry. Slight spoilers for a later area.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hate to be "that guy" but the I identify as an attack helicopter meme is really transphobic, and I'd like it if you didn't use those jokes in the future :\

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

While I'm sensitive to people getting hurt by people making light of extremely real issues that people have and the extremely real violence trans people have faced, I can't help but point out that there's at least 3 degrees of separation between that meme and what I actually said, including the subject matter at hand, specific wording of what was said, and context behind the statement. Bluntly, I wasn't even really thinking of that meme during commentary.

I normally wouldn't make such a point of this but I remember SA is the place where I got probated for saying that trans people typically have a "profound" reason motivating their desires because two people kept misreading the word "profound" and ignoring at least those 3 degrees of separation from actual transphobia (including, in that case, the dictionary term definition of "profound").

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 11, 2019

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It was a simple request that you don't say "I identify as a helicopter" nothing more.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Well from that front I can guarantee that it doesn't come up again!

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Yeah we weren't intentionally invoking the meme, and are unlikely to in the future. You'll understand when you see the actual spear move.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
Does the Nioh Spear Helicopter beat the Path of Exile Helicopter?

Anyway, I can't say I like parries in the Souls games either. That said, the principle of the parry is simple enough in the first Dark Souls. Your parry window is at the beginning of the parry animation no matter what equipment you parry with. The animation does not tell how long that window is though. An enemy can be parried if its attack is parry-able and the window is simple when the attack hits you. Dark Souls 2 makes it more complicated.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Crystalgate posted:

Does the Nioh Spear Helicopter beat the Path of Exile Helicopter?

Anyway, I can't say I like parries in the Souls games either. That said, the principle of the parry is simple enough in the first Dark Souls. Your parry window is at the beginning of the parry animation no matter what equipment you parry with. The animation does not tell how long that window is though. An enemy can be parried if its attack is parry-able and the window is simple when the attack hits you. Dark Souls 2 makes it more complicated.

The Nioh Spear Helicopter is unfortunately going to end up being something like episode 30 before we see it, which honestly is upsetting for me because when I do record it, even aware it is going to be happening, you will see a primal fear response spill out in my control of William when it happens and honestly you all seeing it now would be fantastic but we all have to wait. Keep in mind I've now recorded 22 episodes worth of footage in advance (and we have commentary recorded for all 22 so far) and the moment of peril is still not close at hand for me.

I will run away crying when it happens is what I'm saying.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Episode 8

William goes on a search and rescue mission only to find that one boss that most people don't find particularly hard but for some reason I struggle with every time I play this game. Remember that dumb poo poo boss in Dark Souls 2 that is really fat and rolls around and that's it? I might be the only person who died to it like 10 times before beating it. Thankfully this one is way less embarrassing to lose to.

Episode 8: The Spirit Stone Slumbers - Youtube | Polsy

Characters

Edward Kelley
Entry 2: Clear “The Spirit Stone Slumbers”

Fuku – An Onmyo Mage of great talent who travels Japan seeking to quell the many spiritual disasters that threaten the nation in this great time of upheaval. As a master of magic that can tap into all the elements for her spells, she uses her insight to teach William her ways to better aid him in dealing with the trials ahead.
Entry 1: Clear “The Spirit Stone Slumbers”

Tachibana Genchiyo – The wife of Tachibana Muneshige who safeguards the homefront of her clan. Not merely a beloved figure amongst her people, Genchiyo is a capable warrior who wields her Katana Raikiri with consummate skill. Her relationship with her husband appears fractured on the surface, but their love and bond are far deeper than most can perceive.

Tachibana Muneshige – The man that Toyotomi Hideyoshi declared as the strongest warrior of the western side of Japan, with a skill at arms that well lives up to the moniker. Chivalrous to a fault, Muneshige is an ally of the Ishida army out of loyalty to their now deceased Overlord.

Amrita Memories

People

A Yokai of Thunder and Lightning from “The Spirit Stone Slumbers”

Background

A Forgotten Faith from “The Spirit Stone Slumbers”
Dazai: God of the Heavens from “The Spirit Stone Slumbers”

Yokai

One-Eyed Imp – These particular Yokai take the form of a small child and act in a manner that appears non-threatening, but when dealing with fiends one must always expect some manner of trick or catch. Should one of these Imps absorb enough Amrita they take on a temporary transformation, and destruction follows in their wake.
Entry 1

Sentry – Within the ancient and hidden places of Japan are great treasures waiting to be found, and dangerous guardians that have ensured no one has set eyes on these prizes and lived. Stone statues infused with Amrita Stones take on the aspect of a devoted guard, relentlessly pursuing intruders until either their target is killed or they are destroyed.
Entry 1

Mujina – Another type of Trickster Yokai not far removed from the likes of the Tanuki, the Mujina is a shapeshifter that enjoys hiding within chests to catch treasure-hunters by surprise. Though they will fight if suitably upset by their “playmate” a Mujina will happily give up the treasure it holds if one is willing to communicate with them.
Entry 1

Nue – A terrifying lightning Chimera formed of parts from a monkey, snake, tiger and dog. Its muddled lineage grants this Yokai a variety of potent abilities and tremendous strength, and its body is wreathed in mystical black smoke that can obscure it when it wishes to hide away. In fighting a Nue one must fight a raging storm, as this legendary Yokai is capable of calling bolts of lightning down from the heavens at will.
Entry 1

Guardian Spirits

Raiken

TheLastRoboKy fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Oct 16, 2019

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
That was a lot to unpack at the end there, you're right. Politics are a gently caress, man.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

bman in 2288 posted:

That was a lot to unpack at the end there, you're right. Politics are a gently caress, man.
Yeah. I am kinda surprised by the description saying that Muneshige is allied with Ishida but I might just be misremembering the story.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah. I am kinda surprised by the description saying that Muneshige is allied with Ishida but I might just be misremembering the story.

Muneshige was an honorable man and in spite of the implication of what happened there in the spirit division, Muneshige felt that he owed the Toyotomi Clan deeply for their aid back when Hideyoshi was establishing himself. This cost him greatly in the end, something that won't be discussed until the DLC stuff actually because that's when it's relevant but yes, historically the Tachibana Clan sided with Ishida. Thing is right now because we've helped him out and he's a top bloke, Muneshige has no intention of trying to harm William and Hanzo either.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

If you're playing along at home and are dying to the lightning snake monkey cat, there are two garden sheds in the arena that have roofs, and the boss will be more than obliging to break the walls of them if you kite him over. Then, you can position it so it can't fit between the beams and repeatedly slap it in the face over and over until it finally carks it and the only thing you need to do is dodge roll through the lightning breath.

Also if you have the DLC, the statues (being made of rock) are super weak to the tonfas' blunt damage and take bonus damage from being slapped with sticks. Maybe the wood hammers might work too? IDK

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Episode 9

Whoops I almost forgot to update this week cause I had all my wisdom teeth pulled out. It's not that anything went wrong, it just went so right I blissfully had no cares in the world. Here's the next update! William does some work-time with his two new trainers, and follows it up with a spot of shopping with someone else's wife. It's fine I'm sure we already have her spirit dog.

Also in this video I make some statements regarding the uniqueness of the level's layout, and I'm pretty much wrong on both counts regarding its Kodama stuff and its Twilight level status. There are other side-quest levels that feature both but I somehow forgot all the other ones, and won't realise until some way down the line. My baaaaaaad.

Episode 9: “Way of the Warrior: Novice” “Way of the Onmyo: Novice” and “A Request from Ginchiyo” - Youtube | Polsy

Characters

Tachibana Genchiyo
Entry 2: Clear: “A Request from Ginchiyo”

Fuku
Entry 2: Clear “Way of the Onmyo: Novice”

Marume Nagayoshi – The founder of the Taisha School of swordsmanship who can only be described by the title Genius, with his knowledge of weapons and technique sought after by warriors all over Japan. He eagerly teaches William what he knows, and relishes the chance to instruct through one-on-one duels.
Entry 1: Clear “Way of the Warrior: Novice”

Yokai

Skeleton Warrior
Entry 2

Mujina
Entry 2

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

So lets talk about Ginchiyo for a moment. No not the fact that she'll kick your rear end. I mean she will but that was very thoroughly covered already.

She loves Muneshige, she adores that man and he loves her just the same and trusts her in ways most men at the time would not. She can literally kick anyone's rear end if she wants to and when her husbands lord makes a pass at her. She lets him, and letting him really is the phrasing, this is very much a choice she's making for Muneshige's sake. She is not some defenseless maiden. He did that in her house surrounded by badass ladies in waiting , who she can and has led into combat.

Then she gets pregnant, with a bastard. Someway or another probably intentionally she miscarries, leaving her infertile.

Which eats her up from the inside because it makes her feel like a failure. And she Still loves Muneshige. Muneshige who needs to produce and heir, so he has a mistress. And she is not subtle about it. She directly refers to him spending time with Yachiko in her introductory cutscene. This isn't hidden, not even a public secret.

Most stories like this would end with these two women hating each-other or at least having some kind of rivalry. You know what Ginchiyo does ?

She befriends Lady Yachiko and helps her court Muneshige. Ginchiyo is a loving badass with a huge heart and gently caress Hideyoshi.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Yeah, from what I can poke around in historically Hideyoshi did invite Ginchiyo to his residence of Nagoya Castle when Muneshige was off in the Korean invasion, but she always turned up with her armed escorts and so he kept his distance. I've never really seen where the whole "He used his power to have his way with her" thing came from but there are lots of rumours that swirl around from that period of things that did happen or maybe happened or could have happened, and Genchiyo's inability to bear any children coupled with those visits are the foundation it is built on so who knows? The whole "Hideyoshi feared angering Genchiyo" thing could be the cover-rumour for all we know these days. Nioh plays with a lot of speculation and rumour like that and uses it to tell William a story of the land he's in and the people he meeting and the burdens they bear. We've got one more side to the tale yet, and that's going to come as a result of facing down her husband in a duel.

What I do know is that Ginchiyo kicked rear end and did not stop kicking rear end till the day she passed away.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Episode 10

Oh my god help I'm bullied help help help help why is no one helping me nooooooo

Episode 10: “An Invitation from the Warrior of the West” “The Guardian of the Underworld” - Youtube | Polsy

Characters

Tachibana Genchiyo
Entry 3: Clear: “An Invitation from the Warrior of the West”

Tachibana Muneshige
Entry 2: Clear “An Invitation from the Warrior of the West”
Entry 3: Clear “An Invitation from the Warrior of the West” three times

Shima Sakon – The chief general and military strategist for Ishida Mitsunari, a fearsome warrior with an even more fearsome mind. Unafraid to speak his mind, Shima Sakon is unsure that his lord's lofty ideals of justice can translate into a victory against the Tokugawa. In spite of this his respect for Mitsunari will not allow him to do anything but his absolute best to ensure the Ishida army comes out on top.
Entry 1: Travel to the Chugoku Region

Guardian Spirits

Paired Raiken

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

As I am completely worthless at doing any kind of editing this is the best I could come up with for episode 9. You'll need to apply your own pause and probably mute or unmute the appropriate video because this thing doesn't seem to want to work right :v:

http://www.youtubemultiplier.com/5db9276d037b1-to-be-continued.php

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Honestly I should (and will) throw up a clip of the sequence without commentary, the only reason I didn't do it last week is just cause of having my wisdom teeth out and effort became illegal to me for some reason?!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

you had a nontrivial portion of your head cut out with a scalpel

id say that counts as an excuse

Kibayasu posted:

As I am completely worthless at doing any kind of editing this is the best I could come up with for episode 9. You'll need to apply your own pause and probably mute or unmute the appropriate video because this thing doesn't seem to want to work right :v:

http://www.youtubemultiplier.com/5db9276d037b1-to-be-continued.php

i got a very hearty chortle out of this

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 30, 2019

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler
In your blade, I feel I have glimpsed your soul...

It is the soul of a coward, and a fool! I can really appreciate a man willing to cower behind a giant rock! Here! Have this puppy to comfort your yellow heart! Pet him and see how cute he is. May it give you bravery.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Odachi seems kind of overpowered compared to the axe/hammer as a heavy weapon.

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler
Or the axe and hammer are just poo poo.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Six of one, half dozen of another. The axe moveset functions, but it has a lot of holes in it that can put the player at a real disadvantage in a lot of situations, especially if the enemy has any kind of range. Which, in a game where you routinely fight enemies that are multiple times your size, happens a lot. The odachi's moveset patches a lot of these holes and gives you options for at least working your way into pokefest.

In the base game the axe is fine but it isn't something you can rely on for some fights, so you absolutely require a backup weapon (the spear is a good one for this). This is actually pretty normal with weapons that aren't the katana if you ignore the DLC weapons, but the axe punishes you so much more heavily for trying to cram the square peg in the round hole that it stands out a lot more.

The odachi by contrast has a moveset that can handle pretty much any situation the game throws at you with aplomb so of course it looks better - that's because it is!

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Weirdly, poking around the internet loads of people tended to call the Odachi a weak weapon. I don't know if it's me or the internet wrong or subsequent patches that changed it. The Axe is a good weapon though! I've used it for playthroughs and it worked out fine. I've just spent most of my time using the Odachi so I get the most mileage out of it.

Fuuka Ayase posted:

In your blade, I feel I have glimpsed your soul...

It is the soul of a coward, and a fool! I can really appreciate a man willing to cower behind a giant rock! Here! Have this puppy to comfort your yellow heart! Pet him and see how cute he is. May it give you bravery.

A true samurai uses all available terrain to his advantage. Especially the cowardly ones.

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler
I mean you got a dog out of it so it worked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Weirdly, poking around the internet loads of people tended to call the Odachi a weak weapon. I don't know if it's me or the internet wrong or subsequent patches that changed it. The Axe is a good weapon though! I've used it for playthroughs and it worked out fine. I've just spent most of my time using the Odachi so I get the most mileage out of it.

A true samurai uses all available terrain to his advantage. Especially the cowardly ones.

I think its mostly because these guys are using 1000 hour endgame builds and those builds center around power moves like iai quickdraw that have high damage multipliers.