Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
The peace-portions of medieval stories like this rarely get told because bluntly at the time nobody cared to tell them. The phenomenon is not at all uniquely Japanese; it's pretty fun to watch people get confused when they first encounter the Romance of the Three Kingdoms story, for example, and get surprised when the first generation of badasses start dying from old age because nobody made it clear that by the time of the battle of Red Cliff, Cao Cao had been the Prime Minister for something like 40 years. It was just a half-dozen chapters ago we were spanking Yuan Shao, man, when did you get old??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Absolutely true though in this case I think it's more like Roboky alluded to with not wanting to bring up a time Japan invaded Korea due to recent history. It's not mentioned so hard that you get games going from Honnoji to Sekigahara and it's like Who are all these people!?

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
It's interesting how hard a lot of media in Japan used to stomp on Mitsunari's image, who by all accounts was an ideal Samurai. Loyal, pious, intelligent, skilled, and honest were all traits associated with him. Now there are some records that indicate that he was overly blunt to point that he even had trouble telling white lies and there was a lot of jealousy over his treatment and status. But by all accounts, he earned everything he was given. I guess a part of it is a case of a holdover from the history is written by the victors but not entirely. Official Tokugawa documents don't go out of their way to slander the man. Rather if anything most official documentation and popular stories of that time period go out of their way to ignore him. He is brought up as little as possible though usually factual when he is. Admittedly what few popular stories and history were written in the time that had to describe him tend to depict him as a physically weak bureaucrat they still didn't dismiss his cunning. (After all, to imply him stupid would indirectly be insulting Tokugawa who had so much trouble with him)

In recent years his reputation has seen a bit of recovery and he being portrayed a lot more sympathetically and heroically than he used to be but it's still odd how weirdly he has been portrayed over the years.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
That dude at the very start and his guardian spirit just immediately captured my attention. :allears:

:toot: Butterfly in this guy
His kill count gets twice as high :toot:

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Episode 35

Episode 35: Mystic Art Training, Mount Ibuki is DrainingYoutube | Polsy

The joys of the ninja and onmyo arts continues to shine as Okatsu finally comes at us with a knife for that time we beat her up while she was mind controlled, and Tenkai tries to help me get over my own personal fears and failings through confrontational therapy.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

What on earth is going on with the lighting during that bridge section!?

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

cokerpilot posted:

What on earth is going on with the lighting during that bridge section!?

Yokai

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

I...

You know what.

Fair enough.

glocknar
May 17, 2017
Man, that loving Nue mask. I have the same problem Coolguy does with it, its so ... there!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Everyone loves fighting enemies in narrow corridors and on cliffsides. If they didn't why would these games keep making you do it.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Episode 36

Episode 36: The Samurai from Sawayama - Youtube | Polsy

You might think that Edward Kelley has really done the most western tourist thing possible to this awesome castle but it could have been worse, could have been a Contiki Tour full of Australians.

Characters

The Obsidian Samurai – Freed from a life of slavery and raised to the station of a samurai, the man known as Yasuke faithfully served Oda Nobunaga even beyond the day his lord died. Having constantly kept the body of Oda Nobunaga safe from those who might misuse it, he has allowed himself to fall into the promise of the return of his lord to life.
Entry 1: Clear “The Samurai from Sawayama”
Entry 2: Defeat The Obsidian Samurai three times

Amrita Memories

People

The Obsidian Samurai from “The Samurai from Sawayama”

Background

Jibunosho's Castle from “The Samurai from Sawayama”

Yokai

Oni-bi
Entry 2

Amrita Fiend
Entry 2

Guardian Spirits

Atlas Bear

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

So what I'm getting is that castle designers were fully ascended to galaxy brain level, and the best ones got up to universe brain and beyond.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

That was a loving potent closing cutscene.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

To be a nitpick, the Draenei were added with the same expansion that also added Outland.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

space goats coats to coats

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Please tell me you recorded commentary for this episode and the next back to back so Coolguye didn't explode.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Still watching the episode but I wanted to comment that moment in New Londo was pretty Nito.

Edit: That impatient blocking and jiggling RoboKy does remind of Coolguys many attempts to choke people in another lets play you guys did once.

Double edit: Obsidanan Samurai!? And their guardian spirit! Is it?

It is Yasuke that's so cool. (Also drat but you made that fight almost look easy)

cokerpilot fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 23, 2020

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Felinoid posted:

Please tell me you recorded commentary for this episode and the next back to back so Coolguye didn't explode.

if memory serves we did

cokerpilot posted:

Edit: That impatient blocking and jiggling RoboKy does remind of Coolguys many attempts to choke people in another lets play you guys did once.

the difference being he doesn't let the game's inherent jank make him look like a loving idiot

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Episode 37

Episode 37: “The Ghosts of Sawayama” and “The Inheritance” - Youtube | Polsy

In this week's episode I cover William head to foot in swole armour and send him off to bash in some ghosts. So many ghosts of the past, but one carries dire hints for the future. Also hats. Ghost hats?! Oh, and of course some Yasuke chat.

Characters

Tenkai
Entry 3: Clear “The Inheritance”

Otani Yoshitsugu
Entry 3: Clear “The Ghosts of Sawayama”

Guardian Spirits

Genbu

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I can tell this is Sekigahara mode because it's impossible to master the Odachi on a newbie's first playthrough. Believe me I tried.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Coolguye talking about the security squad near the end of Hong Kong triggered me. That's really the only time you've ever seen that? It happens multiple times in Mass Effect 1 and at least once in Mass Effect 2, and it's great every time.

Random complainer: "Wait, you're letting [him/her] in and not me?"
Guard letting you in: "You don't have a grenade launcher, lady."

Go play the Mass Effect games, they're great. :allears:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I feel like there's a big difference between "game acknowledges that you're heavily armed in narrative", and "game outright provides a way to cut away from mechanics because you are loving terrifying." I don't think ME has done the latter? It's been a long-rear end time since I've played them though.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Coolguye posted:

I feel like there's a big difference between "game acknowledges that you're heavily armed in narrative", and "game outright provides a way to cut away from mechanics because you are loving terrifying." I don't think ME has done the latter? It's been a long-rear end time since I've played them though.

Nah, it totally does. Scaring off the last of Fist's armed thugs near the start of ME1 has an exchange something like this:

Shepard: I just killed 50 bodyguards to get in here; what do you think I'm going to do to you?
Thugs: Fist doesn't pay us enough for this. *leaves*

And considering the way the guard startles and goes into a fear whisper about letting you in, just prior to the lines in the example in my previous post (I don't remember how the lines before those go*, just the very abrupt shift in conversation tone), yes it absolutely is because you're loving terrifying. :shepface:

*EDIT: Possibly something like "I'm going in one way or the other".

Felinoid fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 29, 2020

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah that scans. i vaguely remember something like that now that you've mentioned it!

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Age of Decadence has a stat literally called "Bodycount" that can allow you to skip several fights. It's also a game where fighting is generally a really bad idea!

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Given that you guys named dropped him the in the update I do hope it will soon be time to talk about my favorite samurai of all time.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Well if we're talking Sanada Yukimura, "soon" is when we do the two DLC based around him.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Episode 38

Episode 38: The Demon King Revealed Part 1 - Youtube | Polsy

Here it is! The first part of the final main mission of the main game's release which is a hell of a series of words but here we are and there Edward Kelley is at the top of the tower with his final trump card. A BOSS RUSH.

Oh and I guess Oda Nobunaga? Look I'll be honest here Kelley has a lot of trump cards we're in a bit of trouble.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

People who are unfamiliar with THE DUMBEST BOY ALIVE need to experience more Jon Bois.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

NGDBSS posted:

People who are unfamiliar with THE DUMBEST BOY ALIVE need to experience more Jon Bois.

Everyone needs to experience more Jon Bois.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

I'm a bit flummoxed by Coolguye calling it recent, when the thing happened 12 years ago :v:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

time is relative.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Coolguye posted:

time is relative.

much like days in a week

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

I didn't expect Amrita Dracula Castle for the final level but it looks ~fantastic~

This game can be so pretty when it's not just caves and mines. I'm glad they improved on this in Nioh 2.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Part of the reason you got a helmet from Shibata Katsuie is that while those other retainers revenants might have been at least semi-important names they're not ones you would be at fault for not recognizing them. Shibata Katsuie, however, is kind of a big name as one of Nobunaga's most trusted warriors and generals.

cokerpilot fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 7, 2020

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

cokerpilot posted:

Part of the reason you got a helmet from Shibata Katsuie is that while those other retainers revenants might have been at least semi-important names they're not ones you would be at fault for not recognizing them. Shibata Katsuie, however, is kind of a big name as one of Nobunaga's most trusted warriors and generals.

Yeah, he appears and plays a more prominent role in Nioh 2. I was mostly just confused about all those helmets I was getting in REAL TIME we'll talk a little about him in Nioh's DLCs.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Episode 39

Episode 39: The Demon King Revealed Part 2 - Youtube | Polsy

It's time for a reckoning! William is within reach of rescuing his guardian spirit and ending Kelley's threat to Japan once and for all. All that stands in his way is a resurrected overlord and the last ditch attempts of the weird snakey alchemist to rid himself of the Irishman that has been bothering him across the lands.

The top of the castle beckons, and the end approaches! For what comes after is resolution and a new journey.

Characters

William
Entry 4: Clear “The Demon King Revealed”

Hanzo
Entry 5: Clear “The Demon King Revealed”

Senji Tome
Give 5 of Kagatsuchi's Magatama to Tome

Okatsu
Entry 3: Clear “A True Ninja” three times

Kuroda Nagamasa

Fuku
Entry 3: Clear “The Demon King Revealed”

Shima Sakon
Entry 5: Clear “The Demon King Revealed”

Tenkai

Tokugawa Ieyasu

Ishida Mitsunari

Edward Kelley
Entry 3: Clear “The Demon King Revealed”
Entry 4: Defeat Edward Kelley three times

Oda Nobunaga – Once called “The Fool of Owari” for his unconventional behaviour, soon Oda Nobunaga became a man on the cusp of ruling Japan as its Overlord. Though betrayed by his own subordinate and slain amidst the fires of Honno-ji, he has now been resurrected by Edward Kelley to rekindle the fires of war anew.
Entry 1: Clear “The Demon King Revealed”
Entry 2: Defeat Oda Nobunaga Three Times

Amrita Memories

People

The Eight-Headed Serpent from “The Demon King Revealed”

Background

The Conqueror's Castle from “The Demon King Revealed”

Yokai

Yoki
Entry 2

One-Eyed Imp
Entry 2

Biwa Boku-Boku
Entry 2

Karakasa Umbrella
Entry 2

Flying Bolt
Entry 2

Onryoki
Entry 3

Hino-enma
Entry 3

Nue
Entry 3

Joro-Gumo
Entry 2

Yamata-no-Orochi (First Head, Second Head, Fire Head, Water Head, Wind Head, Lightning Head, Earth Head, Final Head) – In the stories of Japanese mythology there is no Yokai tale older than the story of Yamata-no-Orochi. In the tale of the storm god Susanoo the great eight-headed serpent was said to be the size of eight valleys and eight hills, and was only bested when lulled into sleep by eight vats of alcohol and carved into pieces with a god's blade while it slept in a stupor. To bring about its return would require great amounts of Amrita, and a madness seeking to bring complete ruin to Japan.
Entry 1
Entry 2
Entry 3

Guardian Spirits

Tengen Kujaku

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Yeah what a doozy of an ending. I love everything about it, the first two fights are amazing, the last is okay for the spectacle (Nioh, once again doesn't do so hot with giant bosses but this is at least radder than BIG BONE BOI), and the ending :swoon:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I really like this mission's characterization; in a way, they make you feel for both Nobunaga and Kelley and put them in contrast where one exercised his free will and the other never had a choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

"Oh yeah. Still got it. Anyway Nobunaga OUT."