Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

parries look cool tho, and they are fun to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

I know you can parry silver knights by just hitting the button when they step forward.

I get what you're saying, but it's not like the games themselves ever say that parrying is the epitome of skill. They're just another option for players who enjoy that sort of gameplay.

They're way better when they're near the start of an animation so you can use them on reaction instead of like half a second into a weird animation that doesn't make any sense. Like, backwave and dragonslayer are good because the parry frames start like 1/10th of a second after you hit the button so it's perfectly reasonable to time that out, and if you gently caress it up you still guard the attack. Or at least when it's super-obvious where the parry frames are, like in bloodborne. DS1-3 are horrible for this.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

The second is actually done by breaking the enemy's guard with a regular attack and then tapping L1 a moment later. It's kind of worthless, because you don't generally break guards with regular attacks and if they drop their guard it won't work! Meanwhile the first can't be used while moving, because there's always some bullshit.

This guy explains it better than I do. It's also the only video I could find that demonstrates the guard break as opposed to the parry. Slight spoilers for a later area.