Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Knowing zero Dutch myself I'm interested that's a thing they beefed, and I apologise in advance because I will be saying it the butchered way for a video or two.
Forget Dutch, how did you manage to mispronounce the most famous river in Britain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Like I said in the video I did in fact visit the modern tourist-trap/crown jewel vault that The Tower of London is now in July and it was pretty interesting but also pretty darn depressing, especially since a lot of the graffiti etched into the walls of people who were imprisoned and usually executed there were well preserved. Apparently they had a cell for people they particularly didn't like where it was physically impossible to even sit down inside it, it was so small. A fun fact I liked was that an American man was imprisoned there during the war for independence, who was mortified he had to pay for his lodgings and meals during his 'stay'.

There aren't many "happy" stories about the Tower of London.
Prisons from that era in England were deeply weird. Paying for room and board was such a standard thing that wealthy inmates could outright buy a cushy stay, while poor inmates often had to get outside help to repay their debts incurred to get out. It was a system rife with exploitation and graft, to the point where being a skilled executioner could be a perk if enough condemned prisoners paid you to make their deaths quick.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

People who are unfamiliar with THE DUMBEST BOY ALIVE need to experience more Jon Bois.