Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
:D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

WaltherFeng posted:

Excellent gameplay and very easy to coop with a friend.
Sadly, disagree there. :/

We were streaming this game for a while (I will continue to drop anecdotes of what happened in those streams as the LP goes on so nobody has to go dig them up), and eventually we had to stop because the latency compensation for the game involves literally slowing down the host's character to the proportion required by the client. In essence what this meant is that Roboky was jumping around at full speed, flea on a hot brick, while I was moving at maybe 40% speed like I had been doused in molasses. It was heartbreaking to me when we had to call it off, but it encouraged Roboky to LP it properly so I can't complain too hard.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I really hope this LP lasts longer than the others.

we have never failed to complete an LP, friend!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I considered razzing him for that in the moment but there was so much else to talk about that I was like “you know what I am sure that one will work itself out let’s talk about beefeaters and stuff”

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Fedule posted:

I liked Nioh a lot, but in accordance with my ancient curse I was compelled to find fault in it everywhere I looked. Mostly Nioh has taught me that I do not like Dark Souls, at all, which seems to me to be a shame because Nioh is a game that I think I would like a lot were it a lot less like Dark Souls and more like its own thing.

My favourite thing about Nioh is that IRL William Adams was English but in Nioh he was rewritten to be Irish solely because they wanted a story about guardian spirits and Irish mythology is more accommodating to guardian spirits than English mythology.

i have a rant about one particularly adored part of the Dark Souls formula coming up in the first act of the game that i think you'll enjoy a lot. i enjoy soulslike gameplay a lot for a lot of what i consider the core values of it - such as a focus on the fundamental ebb and flow of combat, where your strategic decisions (overall plan, gear to bring, takedown plan) really matter just as much as your tactical execution. rewarding perceptiveness, thought, and preparation go over just as well with me as close shaves and last second saves, and it's a real triumph to be able to combine both.

i find a lot of the norms surrounding how to execute on these core values to be incredibly tiresome, however. let me pick at the Four Kings fight in DS1 as kind of the quintessential example of what i both love and hate about it.

the Four Kings are a wonderful example of how strategic decisions matter and a takedown plan is paramount because if you get in on them, the fight becomes a ton easier due to their basic awkwardness at close range. damage output is also a supreme factor because staying close in on two or more entities at a time is obviously an impossible concept - which makes poise disproportionately helpful so you can't be interrupted. further, you have the gimmick of needing the voidwalker ring going in or you just flatly die.

this is a threefold issue where the good, the fair, and the bad are all on display. let's look at them in turn.

- you need the ring.
this is good and cool, because multiple NPCs warn you of this and give you clues on how to handle it. it ultimately turns into something incredibly distasteful (killing a good doggo), but you do not ever need to actually get caught by this trap in order to avoid it. paying even the bare minimum of attention will alert you to its existence, and diligent investigation elsewhere will get you the spring to it.

- you need to get in close
this is fundamentally discoverable if you pay close attention to how the Kings attack. they have big pole weapons that flash brilliantly when they go, but the hafts are comparatively dull, slow, and non-menacing looking. aggression pays in Dark Souls, but only if done in the correct way at the correct time. figuring out how to be aggressive here is not complicated, but it is subtle. this is all great.

the problem arises when this discovery process bites into the last note, which is...

- you need to keep up your fire and not get staggered
this is never hinted at and not discoverable before the second king shows up and you're almost assuredly dead. poise is a helpful commodity for many other fights, so it's reasonable to expect that a player would bring it into consideration when formulating a plan, but the only way to get the data that it might be helpful is to stomp the bear trap and see how much it hurts. death-as-a-lesson might be fine if there's no real penalty there, but that's not true in any soulslike. death is a mistake, and it is punished accordingly. but that doesn't stop the soulslike game makers from rolling around in that design, or the players from taking a perverse, smug tone when someone gets frustrated for being kicked in the teeth as a way to teach them a lesson.

which leads me to the execution detail of soulslikes that i just cannot stand - death as a 'lesson' or a teaching experience. if you want to pull that stunt, make the death not cost me anything or make the death advance my state somehow. dark souls itself did this with Seethe as a way to unambiguously warn you that yo, this son of a bitch uses Curse. but dark souls itself ignores this tenet routinely, and soulslikes tend to be at least as negligent, if not more so, with the matter. but nobody ever seems to call it out as unacceptable. i've never understood why. but there's a number of these weird blind spots in gaming (diablo loot interactions, the assault rifle problem in any sort of modern shooter, etc) so i mostly just shrug tiredly about it.

nioh is by no means exempt from this - there's a few early bosses that i will call out as having particularly obnoxious details that you can really only learn about by tripping the trap and dying to them. but it does make the correction a lot less painful by only taking away one of your multiple currencies when you die.

...and no, my venomous rant about a dark souls mainstay is not about ANY of this.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

biosterous posted:

I would like to know more

ooh boy

this is something i articulated in our discord about a month ago, with the overall thrust of "i dislike assault rifles in modern shooters because they homogenize the game and make every encounter the same." this is one of a couple of rants i have with regard to games/game design that fundamentally centers around problems folks are just kind of willfully not talking about. i've been told that it's rather refreshing when i rant about games because i actually freaking rant about games, so there's that.

anyway it's a massive derail so as not to clutter this thread too much, you may reference the chatlog of when i talked about it for about 45 minutes in our discord here. i've pared it down so you don't have to sift through a lot of the cross chatter/etc.

to be clear, i'm happy to talk about specifics of my screed in this thread, i just don't want to forcibly rip everyone out of the game at hand by posting a few thousand words precisely describing what the hell i'm talking about.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Sep 9, 2019

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The language question is one that is handled really well even within the mother language. There’s a couple of times that Hanzo comments on other characters in the very stereotypically Japanese “I don’t like this guy but I can’t really SAY that” way and while the English subtitle comes through translated in the restrained, measured way the words imply, Hanzo’s word choice is such that he is using the absolute minimum number of syllables he possibly can to make his statement, which colloquially is a pretty clear signal of dislike or contempt.

It’s not something you would notice unless you’re familiar with Japanese convention though, so I point it out when it comes up.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

This episode vindicates so much clowning I got on the streams you have no idea

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

tonga bitches

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Trick Question posted:

parries look cool tho, and they are fun to do

this is a perfectly good reasoning for liking parries.

pretending they are 'HIGH SKILL LOW DRAG' mechanics when most soulslikes implement the learning process as a largely arbitrary genital mutilation puzzle box, though, is what i take exception to.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Zylo the Wolfbane posted:

Personally I've always enjoyed parries, but they are almost never actually HARD in Soulslikes, usually it's just a matter of learning a single trick and then you can do it consistently all the time. I know in Dark Souls 1 for example if you parry right when the enemy's wrist starts moving for their attack you'd get it like 99% of the time
this is not applicable in the case of silver knights or painting guardians. both of those enemies you need to parry later than that because their move telegraph is frontloaded, versus the black knight's slower strikes, for example. watching their wrist will make you parry too early, and you must watch their weapon's point instead. it's loving shock therapy that you relearn on a per-enemy basis. it's a terribly implemented and terribly communicated mechanic and there are certainly games that have tried to fix them (from Roboky's reports, Sekiro does an OK job of this) and it has always bugged me that the epitome of skill is equated with screwing around with the least functional and most esoteric mechanics. parries aren't even as effective as slice and dice fundamentals in most soulslikes! speedrunners barely bother with them! it bothers the hell out of me that people pretend like this is some high zenith of skill when it's just an odd-and-end mechanic that was mostly implemented on friday mornings before the weekly meeting and tested on friday afternoons when the testers were already opening the first beers of the weekend.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

While I'm sensitive to people getting hurt by people making light of extremely real issues that people have and the extremely real violence trans people have faced, I can't help but point out that there's at least 3 degrees of separation between that meme and what I actually said, including the subject matter at hand, specific wording of what was said, and context behind the statement. Bluntly, I wasn't even really thinking of that meme during commentary.

I normally wouldn't make such a point of this but I remember SA is the place where I got probated for saying that trans people typically have a "profound" reason motivating their desires because two people kept misreading the word "profound" and ignoring at least those 3 degrees of separation from actual transphobia (including, in that case, the dictionary term definition of "profound").

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 11, 2019

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Well from that front I can guarantee that it doesn't come up again!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

you had a nontrivial portion of your head cut out with a scalpel

id say that counts as an excuse

Kibayasu posted:

As I am completely worthless at doing any kind of editing this is the best I could come up with for episode 9. You'll need to apply your own pause and probably mute or unmute the appropriate video because this thing doesn't seem to want to work right :v:

http://www.youtubemultiplier.com/5db9276d037b1-to-be-continued.php

i got a very hearty chortle out of this

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 30, 2019

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Six of one, half dozen of another. The axe moveset functions, but it has a lot of holes in it that can put the player at a real disadvantage in a lot of situations, especially if the enemy has any kind of range. Which, in a game where you routinely fight enemies that are multiple times your size, happens a lot. The odachi's moveset patches a lot of these holes and gives you options for at least working your way into pokefest.

In the base game the axe is fine but it isn't something you can rely on for some fights, so you absolutely require a backup weapon (the spear is a good one for this). This is actually pretty normal with weapons that aren't the katana if you ignore the DLC weapons, but the axe punishes you so much more heavily for trying to cram the square peg in the round hole that it stands out a lot more.

The odachi by contrast has a moveset that can handle pretty much any situation the game throws at you with aplomb so of course it looks better - that's because it is!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

when you get to the maximum nerd question in this episode, i want it on record that roboky ambushed me with that question and i had no idea it was coming.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwaudxkKkzs&t=127s

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i remember when i was a kid i always found it really addled that nurse sharks were still dangerous despite being called nurse sharks

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

more like umi-BOREzu haha but seriously big bosses really are kind of annoying in this game

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

and even big bozu has a lot of problems; like i mentioned in the thread, he is super racist against people who use weapons with short range, so stuff like the axe, the dual katanas, and the tonfas are going to have an incredibly bad time with him. during our streams i really struggled with him because my chosen weapons were the axe and...the dual katanas. :cripes:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i said something similar about shovel knight.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

IMJack posted:

What is a polearm, but a staff that knows how to accessorize?

holy poo poo

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

you mean roboky will, my rear end is drinking beer.

AND THAT'S JUST HOW I LIKES IT

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Xarbala posted:

but this is true of many tea pot dictators.
ok this is a drat good one

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Fivemarks posted:

Ironically, my key to beating the AXE MAN on my first run through the game was through using Axe in Low Stance. Axe in Low Stance turns you into ASTAROTH from Soul Calibur, and you fight AXE MAN on a bridge.

oh don't worry roboky has exactly the most roboky strat for it and it will turn me into a molten salt reactor

i powered a small town for a week

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

MOLTEN
SALT
REACTOR

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Jesus Christ, brother, the name on this episode nearly killed me

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I do eventually correct his pronunciation of tengu, I have no idea why it didn’t bug the hell out of me earlier on but it just didn’t and I wasn’t thinking about it. Naturally I only do this when the main campaign is almost over. :v:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Bellmaker posted:

NINJA HOUSE NINJA HOUSE NINJA HOOOOOOUSE :swoon:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

there's some pretty insane stories from this time period that turn out to be either verifiably true or at least very plausible, like Miyamoto Musashi's outbreak from a sword school that ambushed him with dozens of students or one of Ishida Mitsunari's retainers fighting like such a demon during the battle of Sekigahara that we actually have no official record of his death because everyone who faced him was so traumatized they had to black the memory out to cope. I tackle the latter one and why it makes sense in a later episode actually.

with all of that stuff flying around i can definitely forgive people for buying into the idea that networks of elite black bag wearing spies and assassins infested japan's castles around this time because it honestly doesn't sound that much more far fetched than a single hero whirlwinding two swords in a razor-edge death spiral to fight off dozens of enemies or one dude holding the line for such a long time and so bitterly that people opposing him literally could not handle the memory of it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i always get little details like that backward

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

netflix doesn't have any of kurosawa's stuff. amazon prime might, not sure. even then though, some of his much older stuff, like Stray Dog, you're probably just going to need to 'obtain'. Stray Dog in particular is a really good intro to Kurosawa and Mifune I feel just because it's much earlier in their respective careers (Mifune is a LOT younger than he was in Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, etc) and introduces you to a lot of the precepts of their work together from early on. It's a police procedural that has a relatively mundane tag line (Mifune's character is a detective who loses his service pistol and is tasked with getting it back) that gets increasingly more insane with a strong eye toward the details and context of the time period it's set in - specifically, it's set in very very fresh post-war Japan, so they're doing things like tracking people through their ration cards.

Most people are only dimly aware of the food rationing period that happened after the Japanese surrender in WW2 because 97% of the Japanese merchant marine had been sunk by US subs in the pacific theater. The resulting food crisis was so acute that the strict majority of the country was set to starve without massive importation and enforced distribution. So yeah, ration cards were a thing for a while as the country got back to normal. So when you're trying to track a fugitive, it ended up being a primary way to do it because that ration card was how that fugitive was going to keep getting food.

It's the sort of second-step thinking you see so rarely in movies but is so emblematic of Kurosawa's thinking, and Mifune's magnetic performances always bring it home in the biggest way.

Basically:

Night10194 posted:

Yojimbo is probably my overall favorite, but picking a favorite Kurosawa movie is hard; he made so many great movies.
(Though for me it's High and Low because I loooooooooooove me some police procedurals)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The nobel prize for economics is not an actual nobel prize and consists mostly of economists jacking each other off.
hth
i mean the prize is warded by the nobel committee and its recipients and reasons are recorded on nobelprize.org, literally right underneath the peace prize in the dropdown menu on the far left so i'm not sure what the distinction is here for a 'fake' nobel prize

arguably all the nobel prizes are scientists of various fields jacking each other off and there's quite a serious argument to be made for the nobel committee commending things that are dramatic rather than truly helpful. remember that they awarded obama a peace prize when he had done literally nothing. that isn't a knock on Obama either, remember that even he was like "wait what the gently caress".

but if we're going to single out a single prize as not worth regarding because of some culture around it i dunno where we draw the line.

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, and Kahneman needs to be taken with a grain of salt because while he did uncover and describe a lot of psychology's quirks, a lot of his theories were based on underpowered studie and as such were hit by the replication crisis pretty hard.
Thinking Fast and Slow is still a great book to read (mostly, e.g. the stuff on priming is rather questionable now) but I wish he'd put out an updated edition, even if it would consist of just omitting the results of weak studies.

the faults that showed up with kahneman's stuff on priming are mostly related to his studies not going deep enough into what priming entails rather than the effects of priming, which iirc is what i was referencing in this episode (forgive me, it's been a hot minute since we actually recorded this ep so i don't remember the full weight of what i said). there's an entire way and method of pre-priming and pre-programming the fast thinking, intuitive 'system 1' that kahneman refers to in the book that was pretty much wholly unknown at the time even though toward the end of the book there's some half-assed paragraphs talking about how this is probably a thing but he can't prove it. basically, the priming takes place in the context that your intuitive system has, and that context is itself something that has been built up of a lot of priming events. so it's this weird recursive priming poo poo that isn't handled well by the book (where it implies priming is much more deterministic based upon the host culture or childhood/formative experiences you had) because the actually exhaustive studies that got a more full and satisfying answer had to build upon the results that kahneman extracted (and indeed most of them directly cite these studies).

definitely agreed that he needs to write an updated edition, the cognition model is something that has seen intense study over the last few decades, but thinking fast and slow remains one of the only public-consumable books of any heft on the topic. over the course of this LP i've been reading a lot of books written by various scientists that bitch about that state of affairs a lot, though, there's another thing coming where I reference why we sleep by matthew walker and like half of his preface is bitching about how there's been assloads of research done on sleep and sleep effects but there's basically no books for people to read on the topic, which is why he's writing this one.

walker bluntly calls this state of affairs a failure on the part of the scientific community, so if he's to be sustained on that (and he's certainly got more room to talk on the topic than my rear end), then we can definitely say kahneman's failure to follow up on all of the stuff done by and with him as a real failure on the goal he set forth in thinking fast and slow.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

"war for peace" is historically a line that gets used when you are talking about what is generally perceived as an internal conflict. otto von bismarck used similar rhetoric with the unification of germany, and so did a lot of Union generals during the american civil war even as they were doing things like burning the Shenandoah Valley to a cinder. "peace" frequently becomes synonymous with "the status quo that people feel is normal" so the line sounds reasonable in the moment when you're talking about beating dudes up to restore something you can predict and expect versus not beating dudes up to have a scary, dangerous rogue element around. i wouldn't at all be surprised if a similar line got played over modern Canadian airwaves if Quebec decided to stage open revolt and succession against the Canadian government tomorrow. Nioh uses the lines because a lot of those lines come from actual factual writing that we know these figures produced. how sincere they were about it is another matter, and we can definitely talk about how sincere or insincere people seem when they say this stuff.

but japan had a unified nationhood notion pretty early, so you any time you had two warlords trying to dick each other over, you'd have an opportunity for that sort of rhetoric to get deployed. compare to, for example, the hundreds of dumb conflicts between england and scotland, where you're also on islands but do not have a unified nationhood notion until really quite recently, and the rhetoric tends to center around "gently caress THOSE guys" instead.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Feb 6, 2020

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Almost definitely before but i forget precisely.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

to an english speaking audience it's the same thing, yeah. ayakashi is just a classification of yokai, it's like a yokai that appears above a body of water or in mists or some poo poo like that. the most direct english translation is to specify, like, the sin domain of a specific demon - lust, gluttony, whatever have you. that distinction is meaningless in context, however, so it just comes back as yokai because that's the word you're actually familiar with.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

cokerpilot posted:

As requested in the video I am here to bug Coolguye about a revenge prank video clip.

EXTREME EDIT: UPDATE ON LAST PAGE

oh god i don't remember what this was anymore :cripes:

what is the timestamp on that in the video

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah that's probably more my fault than roboky's. i tend to be pretty mobile while commentating and it can be kind of a nightmare to edit me from time to time. :cripes:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The peace-portions of medieval stories like this rarely get told because bluntly at the time nobody cared to tell them. The phenomenon is not at all uniquely Japanese; it's pretty fun to watch people get confused when they first encounter the Romance of the Three Kingdoms story, for example, and get surprised when the first generation of badasses start dying from old age because nobody made it clear that by the time of the battle of Red Cliff, Cao Cao had been the Prime Minister for something like 40 years. It was just a half-dozen chapters ago we were spanking Yuan Shao, man, when did you get old??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

space goats coats to coats