Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Love this game, it has many flaws but I still love it. Genuinely looking forward to Nioh 2 a lot.

One thing that always bothered me though was this, they have this great multilingual setup, everyone speaks their own languages and does so well. William pronounces Japanese well when it he has to use a few words in a sentence. But they didn't take a few minutes to coach the voice actor in how to pronounce 5 ship names in Dutch, he doesn't even try, they just get butchered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Well now that we've met Hanzo we can talk about something this game does Very Well. And that is language, specifically handling language for multilingual people, people with differing levels of skill in a language and doing so in a non insulting way.

Now I'm Dutch born and raised but I'm also fluent in English, can understand Frisian without issue, can read it slowly and can't speak it worth a drat. Also I've got like, just the worst German, barely above not speaking it at all, better when its written than spoken honestly. So I'm coming at this from a perspective of someone who has various levels of skill in multiple languages.

Often in media like this the language issue would be swept aside, everyone would be speaking Japanese ( or English in the English translation ) and language differences might if the producers felt like it be indicated with an accent. This is easy, it works and accents are a simple enough coding for the audience. I don't mind it.

Its when media departs from that easy formula that things quickly become bad. Not always. There is also examples of just a fluent bilingual voice actor allowed to play a character well. Overwatch has many of these though their English accents are still very stereotypical and over emphasized. But for the bad things you usually see roughly two things.

The first is that someone is multilingual and they are given a speech gimmick where they use stereotypical emphasized accents on specific sounds and inexplicably insist on substituting only really simple words the audience likely knows in that language or can trivially guess from context. As an example a Frenchmen who speaks English who over accentuates r's and substitutes z's for th and inexplicably insists on using simple words, well known words like l'amour or bonjour.

Now sure, when it comes to speaking a foreign language with strange sounds you are probably going to use the the closest analogue so the sounds thing is somewhat understandable. But despite a display of broad spoken English experience they just never managed to wrangle their r's. Just the r's and the z's though. And never in complicated words. These gimmicks will never make anything they say difficult to understand. These characters can construct long complicated grammatically correct sentences, and then fail to translate basic words. Sometimes in absurd ways because for instance bonjour is a formal-ish greeting and you'd probably use salut instead for many instances. But naturally that word isn't iconic enough so its not happening.

The second is that you have a character who is multilingual but a voice actor who isn't or is only barely capable in a second language. They speak normally in the media's main language and sometimes the writers throw in Fun bits of a second language which is frequently just butchered. Bonus points if the writers also don't know how to write and didn't get any outside help with it and you have a character who speaks Japanese and German and sometimes just throws out a half sentence of grammatically incorrect mispronounced German.

Williams reading off the list of Dutch ships is a good example here.

There is a good reason I went to Japanese bilingual there because there is a lot of it going around in anime, perfectly skilled Japanese voice actors trying their best to pronounce something European on short notice that sometimes never made sense to start with.

So whats different with Hanzo and why do I like it? I mean he clearly doesn't speak amazing English

Yeah, Hanzo doesn't speak English very well. That is actually whats happening here. It feels like he learned English from a book and limited interaction from others who also don't speak very good English.
But look at what he's saying. He is using very simple words, with very simple sentence structure. And how he speak, his inflection is flat and slow. There are notable pauses between William speaking and Hanzo replying. And he makes mistakes, simple mistakes. Real mistakes, a bit of grammar he doesn't quite get yet.

Hanzo isn't a slow speaker or someone inclined robotic delivery though, the moment he gets to speak Japanese that becomes clear enough.

This will only show up a few more times in general. There is an unstated journey William goes through regarding his ability to understand Japanese. The longer the game goes the more Japanese speakers will speak Japanese to William and William will respond in English, only falling back to English when they want to be very sure William understands.

And that is another part I love. I live in Friesland a part of The Netherlands where Frisian ( Fries ) is spoken in addition to Dutch. A language I fluently understand, speak badly, cannot write and can somewhat read. And its a very common occurrence for me to have conversation where I speak Dutch, they speak Frisian and everyone is comfortable and fine with this. I have told many people they can feel free to speak Frisian I just don't reply in it.

I don't know how much thought went into this on the side of the writers but as a whole I love how this game treats language and understands that its a much more complex thing than most media is willing to portray.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

I never really went into Ninja stuff besides the big obvious staples (some throwing stars to pull enemies, quiiick chaaange scroollssss) but Omnyo magic gives you a level of flexibility and problem solving power that is hard to beat.

Divination scrolls make level exploring a breeze, elemental shots and weapon enchantments can make enemies go from right bastards to easy pickings.

Guardian spirit talismans produce a different effect depending on the equipped guardian spirit making them probably the single more versatile thing you can invest in and they are So Good. And those are just simple straight forward things, the really powerful stuff I've not even mentioned. You can break the game over your knee with Omnyo.

Are you playing Nioh and have not done any Onmyo stuff before. Give it a shot, I'm not saying be a mage just pick some skills and have fun with them. At least grab some Guardian Spirit talismans.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

What kind of weapon you are using? Reach really helps against her - I felt like bashing my head into a wall while using my primary tonfas and switching to a spear worked like magic.

Hino-Enma is perfectly doable once you get used to her patterns... but you don't have to just get used to her patterns.

Use throwing weapons like Shuriken and Kunai when she's in the air to get her back down. The game gives you those as normal consumables or you can get them from Ninjutsu.

As the video shows anti-paralysis needles will help with being frozen in place.

Guardian Spirit attacks knock her down to the ground to give you a bunch of free hits. You can make those happen a few ways. First the game has probably dropped a few Moment Talismans, you can use Onmyo skillpoints for Guardian Spirit talismans. When you are in Living Weapon mode you can press the button combo you use to enter Living Weapon again, to make your Guardian Spirit do its attack.

Just be aware that her first thing to do when she gets up from her hunched down state is to do a grab attack so do not get greedy.

You can play Nioh as a game all about hitting things with a weapon, but there is a reason you have an inventory of consumables, a bunch of special skills, a living weapon and both a Ninjutsu and a Omnyo skill tree.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Ah the Spear, my weapon of choice honestly. Frankly its pretty middle of the pack as a weapon goes but when you unlock some additional moves, especially Spear Fall you can just wreck human enemies with it. The fact that its designated stat is also the health stat helps you be flexible in your build too.

The high stance overheads like most high stance overheads are great to smash Yokai horns, the middle stance is a good all around balance and the low stance is a little awkward to use. It does feature a lot of individual hits though which is great if you want to apply weapon inflicted status effects to enemies.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

So lets talk about Ginchiyo for a moment. No not the fact that she'll kick your rear end. I mean she will but that was very thoroughly covered already.

She loves Muneshige, she adores that man and he loves her just the same and trusts her in ways most men at the time would not. She can literally kick anyone's rear end if she wants to and when her husbands lord makes a pass at her. She lets him, and letting him really is the phrasing, this is very much a choice she's making for Muneshige's sake. She is not some defenseless maiden. He did that in her house surrounded by badass ladies in waiting , who she can and has led into combat.

Then she gets pregnant, with a bastard. Someway or another probably intentionally she miscarries, leaving her infertile.

Which eats her up from the inside because it makes her feel like a failure. And she Still loves Muneshige. Muneshige who needs to produce and heir, so he has a mistress. And she is not subtle about it. She directly refers to him spending time with Yachiko in her introductory cutscene. This isn't hidden, not even a public secret.

Most stories like this would end with these two women hating each-other or at least having some kind of rivalry. You know what Ginchiyo does ?

She befriends Lady Yachiko and helps her court Muneshige. Ginchiyo is a loving badass with a huge heart and gently caress Hideyoshi.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Coolguye posted:

more like umi-BOREzu haha but seriously big bosses really are kind of annoying in this game

Umi-Bozu is probably the best of the big bosses. We've seen the drat centipede which is bad but there is another big one thats just.. The worst.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Nioh does a pretty good job of balancing the romanticizing of the period with the brutal reality that people tended to die in really horrible ways and the consequences of these actions are firmly rooted in the soil of Japan, after all these ghost-memories of people screaming and dying and all the dead and monsters walking around didn't just fall out of a tree. In regards to the tradition and isolationism stuff I think you're reading too much into the scenes though, or just framing it from the historical angle of us knowing what Ieyasu would eventually do. That sort of stuff doesn't really have much of a look-in within the story covered by Nioh, it's more about the people and in William's case it's how these people influence him and change his outlook on life.

One thing that does sort or feel discordant with Niohs historical portrayal is that it attributes the motivation of just wanting Peace to at least 3 different Warlords who try to conquer all of japan. Now I get that unifying all of a country under your supreme control is technically peace, and yes its not like everyone is just going to listen to you just because you said not fighting was a good idea.

But at the same time, A War For Peace is not somehow better than a war for your neighbors rice fields.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

IMJack posted:

(costume replica)

It'll keep the rain of arrows off your head.

Oh god how much does this weigh. Need a dedicated regime of neck exercise to even wear that hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

"Oh yeah. Still got it. Anyway Nobunaga OUT."