Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zylo the Wolfbane
Mar 21, 2013
I'm getting the odd nagging feeling that someone may have fallen through numerous holes in various roofs at some point in time... probably just me though huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zylo the Wolfbane
Mar 21, 2013
I will say that I'm very much looking forward to you guys doing this game. I've always liked the look of Nioh but never managed to get around to playing it. I meant to quite a few times, but never managed to be in a position to get it when I remembered about grabbing it. It always looked like it could really scratch that itch I had for Dark Souls combat, without the... well, all the issues I had with Dark Souls (Namely the community around it at this point sadly.) and I really do like that third person action combat but more methodical than something like DMC or Bayonetta etc. Nioh also seemed to actually embrace their freedom and do a lot MORE with the combat than Dark Souls ever tried to do. Your weapon style seems to matter a LOT more, and the different moves and levelling types with the magic and the ninja stuff always looked really interesting. So it'll definitely be nice to watch you guys go all the way through it.

I've tried to watch like 2-3 different playthroughs of this game but they never finished. If I remember right both Slowbeef and Highwang tried to get all the way through it but both dropped it pretty early on. So it'll be nice to see you guys get deeper in the game. Especially since I know Coolguy will have plenty of fun topics to bring up, and RoboKy will get up to some... shenanigans, I'm sure.

Zylo the Wolfbane
Mar 21, 2013
I think my favorite minor aesthetic thing in Nioh is how ABSOLUTELY STRAPPED your character is. Like, every single weapon you have equipped is actually shown on your character at all times. So you're just wandering around with a huge Odachi, a Katana, a full longbow, and a goddamn flintlock, WHILE in your full armor and you're just rolling and running around without batting an eye. It's the perfect mix of ridiculousness and awesomeness. It's one of those minor things that so few games do, but is just awesome to see when games actually show off how much ridiculous stuff is just completely tied all over your character.

I'm really looking forward to seeing more of the weapons and seeing the ninja stuff. Almost all the Nioh content I've seen has primarily only been like, Spear/Odachi stuff with almost no Ninja/Onmyoji stuff being done. So I'm really interested to see how all the weapons and the different styles and skills and all that awesome stuff works out. The Ninja stuff being refreshable consumable items is actually a really interesting mechanic and it looks like there's a LOT of interesting items you're able to choose from later.

Zylo the Wolfbane
Mar 21, 2013
Coolguy, you might like Code Vein's parries a bit more, each of them has a distinctive flash when using them to show the timing when the enemy's attack should be impacting your parry attempt.

Personally I've always enjoyed parries, but they are almost never actually HARD in Soulslikes, usually it's just a matter of learning a single trick and then you can do it consistently all the time. I know in Dark Souls 1 for example if you parry right when the enemy's wrist starts moving for their attack you'd get it like 99% of the time. That's not hard, it just forced you to learn timing for something that is vague and unclear. That's not difficult, that's just unclear. So I can understand that point at least. People who act like parries are some huge nigh-impossible show of skill are just being stupid.