Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Additional Pacifist/Spear notes: in Mistborn the resident pacifists are able to roid themselves out for some amount of time and in more ways than one can normally roid (in addition to strength, speed, agility etc. you also get weird things like memory boosting, visual acuity and sheer mass even.)
Also spears suck because the one problem with the pointy bit of metal on the end of a stick... Is the pointy bit of metal on the end of it that allows crazy metal-based physics powers to work on it. Which is why perfectly normal (if well made) sticks are the weapon of choice against metal-physics wizards :v:

Regarding the myth about the 'princess sends a dude to accomplish the impossible task of skinning a particular rat' because I actually know the cliffnotes version of this one:

The princess in question was found in some bamboo by a humble bamboo cutter. In addition to now having a loving wife and a beautiful daughter, every time he cut some bamboo he found a gold nugget (which is why she's a princess, dad used all that gold to buy status and provide for them.)
Being a babe in a japanese myth, naturally the princess is beset by a bevy of suitors, five of them which have enough status that she can't simply ignore them. So she instead sends them on impossible tasks to keep them from marrying her.

First dude: Go get the Buddha's begging bowl. From the actual Buddha himself.
Second dude: Go get a jeweled branch from a tree that is found on an island that doesn't exist and is also full of ghosts (Horai Island, to be specific.)
Third dude: Go get the 'robe of the fire rat' which is the task referred to in the video.
Fourth dude: Get a jewel from the neck of a dragon.
Fifth dude: Get a cowrie shell born from swallows. Note: cowrie shells are those tiny shells where the open side looks like a mouth with tiny teeth on them. Not typically something you'd find from a bird, African or European.

1-3 dudes get expensive forgeries made (that don't pass muster), the 4th dude runs into a storm and nopes out of the task there, and the 5th dude dies in his attempt.

Next up: the Emperor himself! Who she shuts down because she's not from his country and thus shouldn't marry him.
Because she's from the moon.
Like, actually from the moon.

Soon after she tells her parents that 'well my time here is nearly done, I'll have to go back home to the moon soon.'
And the Emperor is all like 'what you can't go back, we're having a great time here i don't want you to go back GUARDS stand guard outside her house stays safe and hopefully in her house.'
When the Moon Entourage comes down to bring the princess back, they use their magic moon powers to blind said guards to keep them from interfering while the princess writes a farewell letter to the emperor, leaves a gift (some freakin' elixir of life) and puts on a magic cloak of feathers that makes her forget her humanity (or love of, I don't quite remember) and she goes back to the moon.

The Emperor, distraught, refuses the elixir because 'what good is eternal life if SHE'S NOT IN IT!?' and instead orders it burned on the peak of the highest mountain.
And that's how Mt. Fuji got it's name.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

It's heavily implied that William's unique in that he can see them. All of them, all the time.

Most of the people he's met who have had Guardian Spirits? Don't even know they had them. And while the dead people obviously saw the yokai that killed them, they probably didn't see the fog the yokai jumped out of or the pools that drained their stamina/ki :v:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Legend of the Mystical Ninja Goemon, starring Fernandez.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

anilEhilated posted:

:actually: while Francis Drake didn't get a firsthand acquaintance with the Tower, Sir Walter Raleigh was jailed there several times - including from 1603 to 1616 so there's a good chance it was him who William met in the cell.

My second guess after Drake was Magellan but he's both the wrong nationality and 100 years too early :shobon: