Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Finished Picnic last night. I read it as a story about the repression of society and social norms, especially as it applies to women and young girls. While nature and the rock play a prominent role, it is mostly as a contrast to the 'tamed' women and 'tamed' nature. The gardens at the boarding school and Lake View get more description than the rock itself. When Irma is found it's noted that she no longer has a corsett on, a symbol of the repression and confines of society for women. Appleyard goes to increasingly extreme ends to maintain control at the boarding school, banning talking and fun. And when Irma returns the rest of the girls lash out at her, as the one who has been freed from the school and its repression.

And Sara definitely was killed for being in love with Miranda (again societal repression). Appleyard finds and destroys a love note, and destroys Sara. Appleyard returns to the bedroom to try and find evidence that Miranda reciprocated Sara's love. In Appleyards eyes this would justify her disappearance, but she cannot find proof. The story of the gardener finding Sara's body is a good metaphor. He is so proud of his well maintained and proper dahlias, especially the tallest ones at the back (the seniors), but he notices a rank smell and that something has disturbed them. His garden is ruined by Sara's death, who was murdered for not fitting in.

And of course the less repressed, lower class folks in the book who have already been excluded from society or don't worry about trying to conform all turn out better off by the end. Happier, more confident, and free from the boarding school. Appleyard has the greatest fall, as the representative of societal repression (but not before she kills the most 'free' girl).

There was also one passage that struck me as being exceedingly full of colour. I believe it was a description of Lake View one of the first times we see it, the gardens the sky etc. I thought I would notice colour throughout the rest of the book in the descriptions of the outdoors, but none seemed to reach quite that extent. I also felt that the narrator became more casual throughout the book. She began to directly talk to the reader, and reference the book itself ("In the last chapter..."). Maybe the narrator becoming less proper as society in the story came undone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU