Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I read most of these books obsessively as a child, and then reread all of them recently some fifteen years later.

My perspectives on Nynaeve, Elayne, Galad, Gawyn, and Moiraine all basically did a 180. It's kind of jarring. I think I may have been an idiot as a child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

ChickenWing posted:

Most people are. Hell, I thought Goodkind was a good writer up until my early twenties.

Yeah I did that one too. It's bewildering, in retrospect.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I always liked Cadsuane because she's a rare glimpse into Aes Sedai being actually competent. Gradually finding out that the mysterious tower full of lady wizards was full of petty, short sighted, squabbling, ineffective people whose best talent was the ability to maintain a certain level of mystique to the outside world was a major letdown.

Cadsuane was a horribly flawed person, but she was effective at what she did, intently focused on doing things that actually matter, and willing to learn from her mistakes.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

He gets it off-screen prior to TGS.

Aviendha's gift was King Laman's I think. Probably blown up in one of his very very many mishaps. Or maybe he never really used it? IIRC it's not an actual power-wrought weapon and by then Rand would be far more likely to blow you up than actually fight blade to blade.

I distinctly remember her getting mad/confused because he took the power-wrought blade off and gave the gem encrusted hilt back to her.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I figured some of it was covered by the whole ta'veren thing. I was okay with them making him their leader, but I didn't care for all the awkward bowing and scraping that went along with it.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

The slower books are a lot less obnoxious when you weren't waiting multiple years for them to come out.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

That works for visible stuff like explosions, sure. But, like, there was that duel between Nynaeve and Moghedien that was basically them just standing in a room glaring at each other for five minutes. There's plenty of times where it doesn't look like anything's even happening if you can't see the weaves.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

silvergoose posted:

No no, that was when Elayne tried to do it and failed miserably.

In retrospect, maybe a sign.

Elayne is the embodiment of failing forward.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I do wonder if they'll keep all of the female characters more or less unchanged personality-wise or not.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I always sort of read it as the Creator made the world, made the Dark One to stir up poo poo and reset the world by the point it started to get stale, made the Dragon (who is guaranteed by the nature of reality to stop the Dark One from ultimately winning), and then hosed off to go do something else.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I honestly think a weekly release schedule is better for making a big show. If you just dump a whole season at once then people watch it in two days and forget about it until the next season releases. You don't have people speculating on future episodes, and you can barely even discuss the show at all unless you've both already finished it.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I get a lot of complaints about book one from people I get to read this. People say it's a slowly paced rip off of Lord of the Rings and I have to tell them that the series does get a lot weirder and more unique after that.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I think the thrust of it was meant to be that she was saving her nation from the bad people who wanted to rule it instead. I just don't think it really came off that way, it just came off as her being entitled.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I've always pictured sort of a jacket kind of deal.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Was any Darkfriend ever redeemed in the entire series? I seem to recall them all being weirdly committed in a way that struck me as kind of unrealistic.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

It seems like you'd want something with more punch than a sword in that case. Do power-wrought weapons cut through armour?

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I'd expect them to focus more on unstable rage crazy man, personally.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

It reminds me a little bit of Flashman. A villainous cowardly bully who spends most of his life trying to escape danger, getting dragged into it despite his best efforts, and somehow coming out the other side being hailed as a hero entirely by accident.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

It suddenly occurs to me that male channelers are going to be a big problem for the Seanchan in the future. They presumably don't have a means of controlling them, which means even if they stick to killing them then other nations are going to have an advantage over them when they get their poo poo sorted out and start training large numbers of men to channel.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Should the White Tower have been written as incompetent as it was? When I first started the books it was a neat idea, a tower of mysterious lady wizards manipulating the world. It turning out to be a bumbling fiasco when we got more acquainted with it was kind of a let down.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I'm glad we got an ending, but I found Sanderson stuff a pretty big slog to get through.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Basileus777 posted:

Of all the things to criticize Sanderson for vis a vis Jordan, this is the most bizarre one. The most dramatic difference between the two other than the style of prose itself is the pacing, Sanderson rips through events at a speed Jordan hadn't been able to for over a decade. Jordan wouldn't have finished the series in 3 books, it just wasn't in the cards no matter his intentions.

Oh I didn't mean in the sense that it was longer. I meant in the sense that I enjoyed it less, therefore reading it took more effort on my part. I appreciate that it got finished, and I don't fault Sanderson for it.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

How old is Min? I always had a vague notion she was a few years older than Rand.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I was always under the impression that the dagger wasn't anything special other than just being an object from Shadar Logoth and that anything he picked up there would have had similar effects.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I thought it went without saying that the sudden technological development was heavily influenced by the Pattern saying "Now it's time for there to be tech" and the world contorting itself to make it happen.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

The Seanchan sounded like they mostly had their poo poo together. Was that because Ishamael was leaving them alone?

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

There's some subtle line about one of the Seanchan thinking that few could even think about disobedience after being made to kneel before the glory of the Crystal Throne. It's easy to miss it.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Wrist thick and a foot long?

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

"Men are so violent, I should beat some sense into them." - Nynaeve probably.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Was it true that Robert Jordan only offered film rights to Wheel of Time with a "no male nudity" clause or was that just an urban legend I heard once?

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Were there any major good guys that were described as unattractive? I'm struggling to remember one.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Zore posted:

I think this hinges on what you mean by major.

Siuane is always described as really plain and then there's Olver who Jordan can't mention without reminding us the kid is ugly as hell.

I guess maybe I mean good guy characters, that are in a majority of the books, and have frequent point of view chapters. Would-be protagonists.

Siuane probably counts.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I was second guessing myself about how often Siuan had point of view chapters and found a stats page on how many PoV chapters each character gets. Siuan with 18 comes in just ahead of Fain, tied with Cadsuane, and behind Gawyn and Galad.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Zore posted:

Would we count Verin here? She's probably the best example though her POVs are limited due to her twist

I was wondering that too. I think probably not? She seems like more of a (really cool) side character.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

How many shows even have trans people that aren't just there for a cheap joke? I can think of a few, it's definitely more than it was, but it's still not exactly a lot. I mean gently caress it's only recently that queer characters on TV became semi-common. It's probably like another 10-20 years before trans representation in media becomes widespread.

I'd put money on them just ignoring the entire issue and having zero trans representation. They'll probably axe the whole Aran'gar plotline though. That just seems like a can of worms, and it's not particularly necessary anyway.

Theoretically, though, is there an issue with just saying that transwomen channel saidin and transmen channel saidar? That seems thematically appropriate to the trans experience. Which magic power you use doesn't determine your gender any more than your chromosomes do.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I wonder if the Rand/Lews stuff could be shot like Smeagol/Gollum scenes.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I appreciate that someone finished it, but I can't read it again. It gives me uncanny valley vibes that kind of make my skin crawl.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I think it's probably fair to say that to start out with Aviendha was indifferent to the concept, Min was resigned to it, and Elayne was shocked by it.

It also seems fair to say that the three of them all sorted out their issues with it, and with each other, before getting any input from Rand, and then informed him what was going to happen. I don't think blaming Rand for any of this is fair.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Jaxyon posted:

So what you're saying here is that Rand is the one pushed into a poly relationship with questionable consent.

Sure I mean you can say that, and it's probably true in a manner of speaking, because it was literally decreed by fate. But at that point you're probably going into philosophical concepts of free will, more than any practical real world concerns about consent.

I think a rough timeline of how this all happened, if memory serves, was:

- Min foresees that Rand is the man she's going to marry, and that she's going to have to share him with two other women.
- Rand meets Min and makes friends with her.
- Rand meets Elayne and they both independently fall in love with each other without acknowledging it.
- Min at some point tells Elayne about her prophecy and that they're going to end up in a relationship with Rand and another woman.
- Elayne meets Aviendha and makes friends with her.
- Rand meets Elayne again later and they have a cute minor relationship in which they play stupid-children-in-love mind games with each other and then Elyane dumps him.
- Elayne tells Avidendha that she and Rand are together and makes Aviendha promise to guard him for her.
- Aviendha falls in love with Rand at some point during all this bullshit.
- Rand and Aviendha sleep together. Aviendha feels bad about it because of her promise to Elayne and because of Aiel cultural rules is now both obligated to kill Rand, and to let Elayne kill her.
- Aviendha confesses to Elayne. Elayne tells her about the prophecy. They agree to share Rand with Min.
- The three of them confront Rand with this, who this whole time has been beating himself up over being a sexual deviant in love with three women.
- Through the power of ~true love~ he rejects his cultural upbringing and they all agree to get married.

Really the whole time the only issue any of them had with this was that it was a cultural taboo for most of them. You could probably criticize the author for setting the situation up in the first place if you wanted to, and there's certainly a lot of places in these books that give reason to think he's a dirty old man, but it seems to be justified in the fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I think the thing that really put me off Elayne as a person was during the trip to Ebou Dar where she spent the entire time aggressively bullying Mat.