Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I recall reading that the sword scenes are legit sword techniques

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It's also mentioned in whatever that first city is, but only internal monologue and I forget the tone.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

library dude

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

once the anime is popular enough they'll make live action movies of the anime seasons.

i could do without the bubbles of evil. don't recall them doing much plot wise other then killing an aux character

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Some organs can be tugged and hair is among them

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Unfortunately a lack of emotion is a platonic ideal so that poo poo is used rather than interesting character rhetoric or poise or w/e literary thing. I'm hoping they just ignore the braid pulling and skirt smoothing and have the actors use overt facial expressions.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Taraboners use chop sticks

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

There's an entire book that uses the same concept

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

all the two rivers folk got with the nobility

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Rand is approached by the Council of Nine (well only 8 at the time) after he kills Sammael. Mattin Stepaneos, the former king, disappeared (he was hiding in the White Tower) so they offer the Laurel Crown to Rand. They tell Rand that he saved the city from starvation by continuously sending grain from Tear and that the people would not oppose him ruling. He takes the crown, which they rename the Crown of Swords.

still killed a noble

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Faile and Elayne would have been fine if they didn't get hundreds of pages of PoV in 9/10/11 with little to no development. The difference between faile in WH vs start of KoD is the motivations of those around her. Elayne went from entitled to pregnant entitled. Gawain is bad too so I think Morgase is just a bad mom (or would lini have been charged with Gawain too?)

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

What are her major accomplishments aside from dreaming? which anyone can do.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Sab669 posted:

I'm not sure I agree with that, it wasn't some egotistical "I must be the one who reforges The Tower" but rather "It needs to be done so I will do it". And as far as her power goes - honestly that's why I liked her at the start of the series. Everyone else is all ,"wah I don't want to go mad" or "wah I don't want to be able to loving talk to wolves" or "wah I don't want to be a wizard *tugs braid" but Egwene was all "gently caress yea sign me the gently caress up"

My "favor" for her definitely wanes as the series goes on, but it was more due to disinterest in how her overall arc progresses rather than because of her actual character. But after reading things in this thread / the Sanderson thread before this one was made I do see how she is actually, legitimately pretty lovely.
Sign me the gently caress up is where I really dislike her. She's just the label she wants to be. I think the rand suddenly becomes omg wtf overpowered criticism applies to her. What's her character other than that?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

She was also not being ms etiquette for the low blood

my favorite Nynaeve moment was before dumping lan off in the borderlands she mentioned about how tired he must be (or something) from riding a horse for so long then being ridden.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Gnoman posted:

I always thought it was interesting that the Aiel were already "a remnant of a remnant" at the start of the series. I don't think anything was done with that unless I missed something, but it could have been an interesting treatment of prophecy.

huh i believe it was the above spoiler will survive to the fourth age if the prophecy was fulfilled. there are no more og aiel disregarding the gypsies

I believe there are 6 different prophecies of the dragon and that was in theirs.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

i read it as he's the dark dragon. Lots of "hey Mr. Dark one I know me and your philosophy king have done this a lot but I'm gonna skip him this time around"

maybe incel dragon since he always looses to the chad lewis

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

eke out posted:

this brings up the big question: who's playin lews therin

anyone. I cannot think of any other scenes where he's visible. the voice is more important but there's good reason to not keep that the same too.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I dunno there'd be no ambiguity whether Rand is mad or not if it's more then a voice.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

VikingofRock posted:

Agreed; I read this as "humans need the capacity to choose evil for good to mean anything". IIRC this is also the philosophical underpinning of A Clockwork Orange.

and southpark: bigger longer uncut

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Unfortunately she is possibly the most competent ruler in the series. Galad for her in the end.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

True, but she's also a stalker and borderline sexual predator.

Must have been inspired by the British

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Gnoman posted:

While that is true, it doesn't account for the fact that the rebel AS start finding candidates in massive numbers as soon as Egwene declares that all restrictions are gone. All of a sudden, they go from a White Tower that's mostly empty to an expectation that they'll have to reopen areas that haven't been used in centuries. All from the lands that were supposedly "culled".

they want the young and impressionable for their cult regardless of what that does to power. Easier to recruit to the black.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Uh I thought the dream was Valhalla. Killed from the dream is more permanent then balefjre apparently. The summoning i don't recall was explicitly hopper or otherwise known souls

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I always thought she was sorta a gotcha. Im a hero but moral so the latter rules. The loss of memories supports.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

There was no other way Logan fulfil mins thing

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You don't need much weight to cut through bone in the kitchen tbh. Raw bone is pretty soft which is why dogs can eat them but not cooked. I can't imagine any type of sword would have trouble aside from fencing... which may not have an edge? You'd sharpen after each use ofc.

Maybe it's just because I use japanese waterstones :anime: but I also don't think swords from around there are made to primarily stab.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The black tower was generally handled like poo poo. The entire plot of it was just dropped until Sanderson. I guess that happens when the antagonist may or may not be someone.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Oh i never connected the dashiva dotsq

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

My big issue with Sandersons super boy is the lack of fatigue. Making a gateway is super duper tiring and i don't see how being weak in the power mitigates that. Back in the jordan days the person who was a fantastic shield holder still couldn't do that forever.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The motivation for the male band was breaking mitigation and being able to have age of legend Ying and yang ability.

The Adam or whatever was a forced circle, which jives with the domination and males always having control with a circle of two.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I won't be surprised if the ax the sniffer entirely

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

at the end of AMoL they wanted that old rear end Aes Sedai to be and in the prequal I believe it's shown that she can hurt/lie so probably never took the oaths. The oaths/tower will probably end anyway regardless of who's at the seat. Black tower and Seachan and all not being bound.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Well it is a plot point that the Tower Aes Sedai used sisters that were newly raised to help capture Rand because they didn't have the ageless face yet. It's possible that it may also take some time to wear off after being unbound.
what always confused me is how black aes sedai don't lose the ageless. They remove the oathrod oaths. They make new ones but iirc don't no channeling make those oaths as well? No ageless faces on them and obviously not being able to channel removes any oaths.

i don't think it was planned out very well. Just a plot device for the tar valon escape for min and co

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

^^^

Galad is cool as he's an actual lawful good with all the negatives that come with it.

Invalid Validation posted:

It’s also around the time they stopped using ~The Ways~ and I’m super bummed it was all but forgotten. Having fixed waygates would have made traveling around much less of a deus ex machina that the gateways end up becoming.

forgotten enough to destroy a main city

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I thought they were supposed to have a golden sunburst

On plate

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Torrannor posted:

Can somebody tell me why Moiraine did not immediately zero in on Rand being the Dragon Reborn. When Gitara made her foretelling, announcing his birth, it was the day of the Battle of the Shining Walls. The last day of the Aiel War, where the forces of the Aiel and the coalition against them had their final battle on the slopes of Dragonmount. Now, which of these sides has female fighters? And which of the three boys very much does not look like a typical Two Rivers person, but instead looks more like an Aiel?? One glance should have told Moiraine who the Dragon Reborn was.

pretty sure she did but TDO's actions in the 2 rivers gave incentive to take the others.

or the prophesy did not make him being aiel specific but I don't recall the prophesy well

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The easiest of the harem characters to write

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I don't recall them stating they go looking for male channelers with the dom band. It's just a fun relic from immediately post collapse. Madness is the tell.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Gnoman posted:

One of my favorite details is that one of the Forsaken muses later on how the "worms" will never mature now. Really feeds into the whole toxic-waste leftovers feel of the Blight.

For some reason I thought they became the golem or w/e

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Galad will definitely make it he's a relatable character