Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Oh no I'm really enjoying that stuff too this reread, particularly the hunt for the Black, but they are fairly slow moving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Apparatchik Magnet posted:

The very strong case for Elayne's place in the cellar is that of the terrible characters she has a lot of pages but very few redeeming scenes. The other baddies at least have a bright spot or two or don't inflict pain for as long.

Elayne probably killed more of her own people than anyone up to and including Lews Therin Telamon

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

And Egwene took her lumps harder than just about anyone, I liked her tbh

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Mat Cauthon posted:

Also Elaida is a great character because she's not dumb or incompetent, she's just outmatched on like every level and refuses to acknowledge it or change her strategy.

I swear I remember Fain thinking "maha! The seed of hosed upness I planted in her will make sure shes useless!" But I'm damned if I can remember when that was.
Pre Fain Elaida was doing what she thought was right on some level, after she is pretty much a megalomaniac (who accidentally sets in motion the hunt for the Black)

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I wonder if Jordan chose the 10 day week and the crazy-rear end system of feet, spans, hides, etc to spite people who go 'metric good but time is dumb'

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Don't care, Tits & Trollocs

On the other hand if this goes full Legend of the Seeker I'd be ok with that too.

Make Bruce Spence a flashback male channeler who goes mad, that would rule

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

gently caress, he'd actually be a great Lews Therin.

Bruce Spence appearing as a character only Rand can see and having long conversations no one else can hear.

This is an incredible idea

JOHN SKELETON posted:

If I can't get serious and epic WoT then I'll settle for full ham, tits and bad CGI channeling WoT. Get me Ishamael chewing the gently caress out of every scene he's in and unnecessary Aiels bouncing their dick and boobs in the background while exposition is going on. As long as it isn't just forgettable halfway in between ham and serious.

It's a pity Tim Curry is in a wheelchair because he would make an incredible Ishamael

Who else can chew scenery to that extent?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

James Gandolfini as Ishamael

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Democratic Pirate posted:

Willem Defoe needs to be a scene chewer

Hell yeah

Wait when did Robert Patrick and Dafoe share a scene?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Inspector 34 posted:

Wrong Robert P.

:thejoke:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Most of the way through Winter's Heart, and I'm really enjoying how Mat only does things because there is no one else to do them. Accidental hero? Unintentional? Unwilling?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I'm not a noble! That's not how it works!

Actually, that's *exactly* how it works. Marrying one is pretty much the only way of becoming one.

AWKWARD SILENCE.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Honestly that's pretty good casting.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I liked how you never really had Tam doing fully sick duels on the front lines, that time for him had passed so he became a leader.

Tam rules

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Huh. Mazrim Taim was Demandred all along.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Tam was fully badass in his own right, though not close to Thom. He ran away to go adventuring on his own, learned all the poo poo he needed on the way, fought in at least 4 wars, rose to the 2nd highest rank possible in the elite Illianer Companions, dueled and killed a blademaster, and was awarded an actual power-wrought heron-marked blade (and not a post-Breaking imitation) by the then King of Illian.

Then, like, think about the kind of slaughter the Aiel War had to have been to make this guy go back to the shithole provincial village he came from to take up a life of farming.

I dunno he got chumped by a Trolloc

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Omg Tam could say with a straight face Lord Perrin sends his regards

Make it happen

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Rand kills a fair portion of nobility fwiw

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Also the Shienarans were convinced he was a lord lmao

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I guess WOT came first, but that always reminded me of Ax always saying Prince Jake in Animorphs

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

The Path of Daggers is also kinda... backward. The two big events (bowl, seanchanmania 2000) happen early on and the ending is relatively anticlimactic.

I liked that Elayne trying to untie the weave led directly to the attack on the Tower. I never picked up on that before.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I have a copy of a book of Terry Goodkind short stories that was literally printed with "copyright 2001 Robert Jordan" on the copyright page.

I don't think it was a mistake. I think someone at Tor was loving with Goodkind.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof, friend.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Sorry got the year wrong, it was 1998.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TOR-Terry-Goodkind-DEBT-OF-BONES-1st-Edition-Paperback-JORDAN-MISPRINT-/193090494316

Tor actually did a recall but there's still plenty of copies lying around.

I don't think there's any way at all that happens without someone at Tor deliberately loving with the printing process.

edit: since it's top of the thread, here's (someone else's) photo of the copyright page in question:

AHAHAHAHAHA get rekt

There are errors and errors, and this is one of the good kind

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

"An old forest, one that could swallow armies whole and never give up the bones."

I like all the little cross-referencing he does.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Wait what's this about the strike at shayol ghul?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

It's got to be this. His Dark Materials was renewed for a second season despite the first few episodes being incredibly underwhelming. Not bad, just flat.

Wait, there's a show of that now too?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I didnt mind the film, but maybe that's because Nicole Kidman taking me away appeals to me

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I'm ok with not knowing the details of the insanity tbh. There were enough hints given.

And I sort of got the impression that the lightning's Rand used in TSR were what killed LTT's family

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I'm surprised she made it through the prologue without complaining about sexism.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

COT really isnt a bad book, it just had the misfortune of being after the biggest event of the series and relatively slow paced. I'm enjoying it this time around, and even the Faile plot isn't really grinding much now I can just blitz it.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Ferrosol posted:

Faile is cool. Her and Perrin's whole relationship is a summary of the whole series. If the man and the woman just sat and talked honestly for 10 minutes all their issues could have been resolved.

Now if we're talking about characters whose deletion could improve the series I nominate Gawain, he fucks up everything he ever does and then dies like an idiot screwing over Egwene in the process.

Idk I thought Gawyn was a p good example of why ~~~nobility and chivalry and honour~~~ are dumb things to base your life around

Christ, he personally causes the fall of three Amyrlins

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 18, 2019

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Whoops!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

ChubbyChecker posted:

It's indefensible.

But I just defended it. NOW WHAT

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

On a reread right now and I forgot how great the sequences with 'dark rand' are. Causing someone to have a near heart attack by just willing it to happen :drat:

Wait I dont remember this guess I got stuff to look forward to

Did him cleansing saidin kick him over the edge? I mean the entire taint flowed through him

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

What are her major accomplishments aside from dreaming? which anyone can do.

Reunited the Tower, beat Mesaana, basically started the Tower learning from Windfinders, Wise Ones and the Kin, guillotined a bunch of Black Ajah

She was more of a uniter than anything but she did it well

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Could Rand outfight Dick Roll?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Basileus777 posted:

Well other than when she has Nynaeve sexually assaulted to distract her from realizing that Egwene is lying.

Uhhhhh...... what? When?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

VikingofRock posted:

This has been my experience in re-reading, too: I'm really enjoying Egwene and Nynaeve a lot more this time through and I'm finding them a lot more relatable. I'm wonder if it has to do with where I am in my life now vs. when I first read the series, or whether it's just that my first time through I was so excited to get to Rand chapters that I didn't give the other plotlines the attention they deserved.

Yeah, I dont think I realised just how hosed up Rand was because of my own hosed-upness. Now that I'm doing better, I see how much of a loving nutjob he is.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Also Egwene "trained" under the Seanchan so it's not unreasonable to think she would be good at blowing poo poo up with the Power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Mat Cauthon posted:

Yeah the Tower battle thing I think is justified because Egwene has at that point trained with Aiel, Seanchan, wilders, etc and if nothing else knows that the usual Aes Sedai thing of "sleight of hand" magic isn't going to cut it, she needs to take people out before they can do more damage. What Aes Sedai can honestly say at that point they have more battle experience than her?

Cadsuane, maybe? The list would not be long