Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Mad Hamish posted:

Nonsense. Elaida is Trump, Alviarin is Mitch McConnell.
Or is Trump Gawyn? The "failest" of failsons. Just makes the worst decisions and then doubles down rather than take the chance to redeem himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Invalid Validation posted:

She really didn’t become insufferable until she went back to Caemlyn and got preggo.
Agreed, I enjoy Elayne until book 8, 9? Basically once the Bowl of Winds story line ends her story becomes awful for the rest of the series.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Khizan posted:

I liked the characters, but I hated Androl’s gimmick as the Amazing Portal Boy. It reeked of Sanderson being unable to end the series without doing stupid magic system exploits. I half figured he’d end up needing to use gateways to move a companion cube around with physics.
Agreed.

And I can't also help feel that Androl stole Logain's narrative purpose and almost all of his screen time.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
The largest difference I notice between RJ and BS is how they write conversations. Jordan would have a character say a sentence out loud, then he would have a paragraph of the characters internal thoughts about the conversation, then another sentence out loud. Whereas with BS the conversations goes back and forth multiple times with no internal thoughts on the page.

It's like you're inside the head of the pov character during a conversation written by Jordan, and you're someone witnessing a conversation between characters when BS writes it.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
I hope they continue with their racially blind castings. Cast a blonde as Tuon, black Elayne, black Selucia, pale red heads as sea folk, any race for Aiel etc. It will be entertaining to continue to see people get offended.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

socialsecurity posted:

Imagine how much fat you could trim from the series if Elayne didn't exist.
Cut the entire Andoran royal family and Faile and we can wrap this thing up in 5 seasons.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Siuan Sanche is the princess from Ace Ventura 2? LOL

Ace: [the Tiny Warrior shrieks in Wachutu] What did he just say?

Fulton Greenwall: I *think* he said, she's not a virgin.

Ace: [pause] They can *tell* that?

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Sab669 posted:

I think 7-11 are generally regarded as "the slog", but skimming the Plot Synopsis for 8, 9, and 10 on wikipedia and yea, I think I remember those 3 being especially egregious.
8-10 are the slog. Honestly the first 2/3's of book 6 are a slog, but the ending makes up for it. And book 7 is better than 6 aside from ending, the final boss battle against Sammael is extremely underwhelming. 8 is the first book where these is no token "forsaken protagonist of this book" or final boss battle against a forsaken, 9 is a painful chore outside of the 4 way warder bonding chapters and the cleansing of saidin. 10 is an abomination outside of the like 2 rand chapters and handful of mat chapters.

On my last re-read I told myself going into it that this time I wouldn't skim anything. Read every page and pick up details I had missed. I managed until book 9, and probably skimmed 1/4 of it. Then I skimmed 3/4 of 10. It just couldn't keep my attention.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
https://dragonmount.com/news/tv-sho...%20competition.

Based on the tax credit Amazon received they've got to be spending ~74million on WOT in the Czech Republic, so the budget is even higher once you factor in actor salaries. Estimates are around $10million per episode which puts its on par with GOT season 6. Got started out around $6million per episode in earlier seasons.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

BigHead posted:

I started a reread recently and what struck me about EOTW is how goodamn repetitive it is.

A man in a cloak walked into the room. He had the look of danger.
"That man in the cloak has a look of danger!"
"That man in the cloak sure does look dangerous."
"The dangerous man in the cloak is also handsome!"
"Handsome!? But he's so dangerous looking! And his cloak is so unusual!"
The man swirled his cloak and left the room, walking dangerously.
"He was so dangerous and handsome! I wonder what that cloak was?"

The entire book is like that. I must have missed it my first time reading when I was 12. Luckily the repetition peters out somewhat after book two.

Edit: The repetition is super jarring with the audio book version. Some gave me a CD set of the audio books because it's apparently 2002 and I got through just a few chapters before just buying the book. You can skim over paragraphs but you have to listen to the narrator talk about Lan's drat cloak for the seven hundredth time.
I've noticed similar patterns in other Fantasy.

Brandon Sanderson: HA Air sick lowlander, too much air for brain, makliki' iki'iki' for the 1,000th time. I love Rock, but goddamn does it get repetitive to read after a while.

Joe Abercrombie: Say one thing for logen ninefingers...

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
https://www.wotseries.com/2020/11/02/scoop-wheel-of-time-production-halted-until-april-2021/

Ugh, I was really hoping for a spring or summer 2021 release. Best case now is fall/winter.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Looking at an article from 2016:
In the "Game of Thrones" TV series there are 553 listed cast members. That number includes uncredited roles, like "pit fight #1," but doesn't factor in extras.
2,103 mentioned characters in the books
52 "Main Characters" in the show

I think if we get a similar level of depth of adaption to what they did with GoT there will be room for the Juilins and Hurins to stay. If the show actually makes it to the later seasons/books I'm confident that means the show turned out to be a hit and actors for characters like Hurin will be begging to come back for a 30 second bit part after not appearing for 6 seasons.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Vavrek posted:

This is delightful and I can't stop reading.

(Up to Lord of Chaos!)

She's just so excited about The Wheel of Time.
She hasn't posted an update in 5 months? I need closure!

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
On the surface Dumais Wells appeared to be a victory for the good guys, but it was actually the greatest triumph of the Shadow in probably the entire series. The Dark One's end game was to break Rand and get him to give up and destroy existence. The Dragon had failed many times in many previous lives, but he had never given up. This event did extreme damage to Rand's mental health, and it also turned Rand against the Aes Sedai, who should have been his greatest allies.

The Box and Dumais Wells began Rand's journey down the DarthRand path, the domination band and Min choke out were just the straw that broke the camel's back at the end.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
I thought Taim was a darkfriend right from the first time he's introduced. He's been channeling for years(3-5?) without the taint affecting him, that's only possible with protection granted by the DO, like we saw with Asmodean. He's also clearly received some training in channeling from someone before he ever meets Rand. It's not possible that he kept himself sane and was so knowledgeable about the Power as a self taught wilder.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

I'm not at all concerned about Taim's apparent relative sanity and neither should you.

Why? Logain.

That being said, Neuxue very astutely pointed out the relevant angles. In any given year the Reds hunt down a good number of channelling men. Of those, some have gone insane, some have not yet. We don't know exactly how many--but we do know how many men declare themselves the Dragon Reborn and get anywhere with it, because those are important names. Everyone knows those names. Amalasan, Darksbane, Davian, Rogad, Stonebow. You don't get to be on this list unless you learn to channel, you don't get to be on this list unless you're capable and competent to rally men to your banner and lead them, you don't get to be on this list unless you've wrecked major havoc and made major conquests. And for all of that to happen you have to keep yourself together long enough to not fall apart.

Taim and Logain got themselves on this list.

How is Taim still sane? That question doesn't matter. He is one of those who managed it.

And to name yourself the Dragon Reborn? What choice do you have? Either acknowledge that despite all you've achieved that you are doomed, or look for any reason to grasp for hope.
I don't have the numbers in front of me but I always got the impression that Taim was in his late 20's early 30's and had been channeling for 5 or so years. He was a commoner and only rose to power because he was backed by the shadow. Whereas Logain was early to mid 20's and had been channeling for 2 years or less and was a nobleman who already had power and family connections. We were never shown the extent of Logains knowledge or prowess with the power before his gentling. It was mentioned that Logain was strong, but never that he had knowledge about the power like what Taim had.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
So I was way wrong on how long Logain had been channeling. 6 years and no madness? drat! :drat:

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
To join the Rand vs LTT(Linus tech tips lol) from a few pages ago.

Rand and LTT are the same soul, but they lived entirely different lives, so even though they occupy the same body and share memories, they are different people, even though they are also the same person.

I always thought Rand thinking in his past life’s internal monologue is kind of like how multilingual people have different internal monologues in different languages.

Like the LTT in Rand’s head is when Rand is thinking to himself in his LTT inner monologue. Rand is LTT, so it’s not crazy that he can think in LTTs inner monologue. Like how someone who knows English and Spanish can think in Spanish or in English. He can think in LTT or in Rand, or in various combinations of both.

Rand isn’t aware this is happening early in the series, but eventually he does and he starts compartmentalizing which parts of himself are Rand and which are LTT, and treating them as separate entities which can have conversations between them, until veins of gold.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
I really hope they keep the prologue. I've noticed WOT seems to get a lot of undeserved flak for being too soft , not grim dark enough, too much clichéd, classic fantasy, etc. Opening with the prologue would go a long way towards dispelling those notions, and also help differentiate WoT from the other big fantasy IPs. Right from the get go it would show wot is going to go to some very dark and violent places, and won't be pulling any punches on that front, but also that they won't be shying away from magic and hopefully show off the Bezos Bucks special effects budget.

I've also been wondering what the trailer is going to look like. Will they have Rosamund Pike giving a brief synopsis of the prophecy of the dragon and history of the world while showing random scenes on screen?

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
I think the concerns over gender essentialism and lack of LGBT representation while valid, are “very online” concerns and won’t matter at all to the general public. And will have little to no impact one way or the other on the success of this show.

GOT, The MCU, Harry Potter, Star Wars, (just about every major IP), etc. basically ignore LGBT. And that doesn’t seem to have impacted their success in a negative way at all.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
I think a lot of you have Aran'gar backwards, he isn't the equivalent of a post-op M to F. He's literally a man trapped in a woman's body. If anything he's a pre-op F to M.

I see the issue that Aran'gar channeling Saidin presents. It implies the gender of the soul decides which half of the source a person can channel. Which would imply that transgender people would channel the power of the gender of their soul, rather than the gender of their body. But the books never present us with any transgender people or evidence of their existence in the WOT world. So the question is never explored beyond the one pseudo example of Aran'gar.

I kinda forgot about pillow friends. The show would probably do well to cut that. On the other hand, it could possibly be re-imagined in a 2020's appropriate way to normalize how most people actually fall somewhere between 100% straight or 100% gay, but also not perfectly 50/50 on the Kinsey scale in their sexuality and sexual history. You know, normalize how lots of people can be predominantly straight but also be in loving same-sex relationships at times in their lives. And they should definitely change The Tower to be accepting of Women who want to be in same-sex relationships, rather than force them to break up and repress themselves.

I still maintain my position that WOT isn't the kind of series that should "go there" as far as exploring these complicated issues. If the show wants to be successful like the other IPs I listed it should follow their recipe of not asking the deep questions. Just stick to the schlocky, pulpy, violent, action, magic, adventure stuff with high production value that general audiences want.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Data Graham posted:

I don't think the discussion is about whether X character will be handled well or not. It's about whether the gender essentialism baked into the entire story's core can even be made palatable in today's cultural environment, even if they don't attempt to address "what if trans people".
I think you're way overestimating the "wokeness" of the average media consumer and their potential aversion to gender essentialism in their magic and prophecy and swords show.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Vavrek posted:

My favorite Osan'gar moment is from right before the others':

So much gets made of Two Rivers woodscraft that having this research biologist wandering through, trying to keep his head down, makes me laugh.
Yeah, that was what occurred to me when I was first writing out my point 3: Balthamel was never trans by any definition, but Aran'gar arguably is. And Aran'gar's way of dealing with this is ... to come to terms with and accept her physical identity as her new truth. So, you know, it was just a phase. :yikes:
:hai:

edit: Honestly just cutting Osan'gar and Aran'gar is probably a good solution. When do they first show up? Book five, six? Right now I don't think I expect the series to run that long, so they'll be cut by default.
I haven't done more than skim the Salidar sections of the books in a long time, so I'm probably not remembering. But wasn't Aran'gar still attracted to women and not to men? I vaguely remember Aran'gar being willing to sleep with men to accomplish the mission, like a spy. Did he start to enjoy it after a while with men? Just checked the wot wiki: "Formerly a womanizer, she now took pleasure in pursuing men, yet still retained her love of women, making her bisexual. She wanted any pretty man or woman she saw." So essentially, the hedonistic bi-sexual stereotype. So it wasn't that it was a phase, it was instead an equally problematic bi-phobic stereotype. Ugh... Jordan... yikes

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Data Graham posted:

I mean, maybe? But I'm also looking around at the ("prestige") TV landscape and seeing a lot of movement in this area, a lot of shows running with themes that would have been outlandish just a few years ago but now they're comfortable just taking for granted that The Time Is Now.

For All Mankind for example, its whole gimmick is "alt-history Space Race where the Russians got to the Moon first, but while we're at it we're going to make the bulk of the cast women and explore the timeline where we had tons of female astronauts". And Bridgerton is a Netflix ratings monster, and its thing is "Regency romance, but it's also in a multiracial as gently caress alternate universe where the rumors about Queen Charlotte were true". And they just both just play it with huge swaggering confidence, not like with halting, weird tokenism like in decades past.

My question isn't whether WoT's audience won't be expecting something of WoT's premise to deal with modern views on its issues head-on and maturely; it's whether the WoT show is up to the challenge and decides to take it on.
Bridgerton? Really? I thought it was race blind except for a bizarre 5 minutes where the black characters explained that race and racism do exist, but the king married a black women so black people are now in society and in the nobility, and we need to stick together. And we're presented no other evidence that race or racism exists.

Bridgerton also features a female on male rape. And the narrative and reaction from the general public is to laugh it off as "he deserved it", or "she was well within her rights".

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Jaxyon posted:

Bridgerton certainly has it's problems but it also certainly gets an audience from it's casting.

Though it's not race blind at all. It's quite aware of who is dark skinned and who isn't.

The larger issue is not whether fantasy diehards care about representation....they probably don't. Fantasy is white as the driven snow. It's whether you can make a series now that doesn't deal with actual real world issues like the existence of people who aren't white cis het.
So you're saying WoT will benefit from it's diverse casting, and will also simultaneously get away with hand waving away racial issues just like Bridgerton? Essentially having the racially diverse cast playing white cis het characters? And people will love it anyway, just like bridgerton?

I think this vox article does a good job summing up all the racial issues in bridgerton.
https://www.vox.com/22215076/bridgerton-race-racism-historical-accuracy-alternate-history

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

buffalo all day posted:

What you said but more so. I think you can guess a lot from them casting Rosamund Pike -- make this GOT except all the in-Westeros anti-woman stuff is directed at men in WoT. Deemphasize the rigid binary construct and emphasize the fact that women are in charge and how that impacts society and you still have something relatively fresh, especially for TV.
This! And don't forget the racially diverse cast!

I think people are going to be able to easily overlook the problems surrounding the gender binary nature of saidin and saidar because they'll be too busy enjoying the inversion of the patriarchy, boat loads of racial representation in the cast, and all of the badass women main characters. And also hopefully really good special effects, action, horror etc, etc, etc!

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
I'm still surprised we haven't gotten a trailer yet. The Boys had their first big trailer out in Jan 2019 for their July 2019 debut. A 6th month gap. If we get a trailer tomorrow we're looking at an October release? It looks like Amazon is still shooting for a 2021 release date, so we've got to be close to a full trailer at this point... right?

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Lan: You know nothing Jon Snow Rand Al'Thor

Can't say I think this was a good choice for Lan's dialogue as it comes off as cribbing from GOT.

Why not have him say his: "Death is light as a feather, duty heavy as a mountain."

That's a nice 2 second clip that gets fans all hot 'n bothered and doesn't spoil a single second.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Invalid Validation posted:

I always pictured him as a brick shithouse.
Same. I want to pre-face this by saying I've never been a WWE fan, but my mental image for Lan was basically Triple H. A big, muscle bound, Viking looking kind of guy, with a blocky face, and long hair.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
I pictured the Shienarans and Malkieri as Northern Europeans with viking style top knots and braids. With some Samurai and Indian culture sprinkled in. Jordan loved to take different cultures from the real world and mish mash them together for WOT.

Lan's piercing blue eyes made it difficult for me to imagine him as non-white. But I'm open to seeing Lan imagined in a different way on screen. He looks like a badass in the clip and that's way more important to the character of Lan than his eye color.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Libluini posted:

Sure, but he grew up surrounded by crazy fanatic Malkieri-expats, so I would expect him to be even more Malkieri than a normal Malkieri would have been

Also true, but Northern Europeans? :psyduck:

Kind of hilarious how the internet brings different people together, I'd never in a trillion years would have assumed that someone could think that.
The borderlands are in the North of Rand-Land, so my brain went to Northern Europe when the first guy we meet from there has piercing blue eyes, like how it went to Mediterranean for people from southern rand land. I imagined Saldeans as more of a swarthier, hawk nosed Russian/Eurasian ethnicity.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Libluini posted:

Brains can be weird, can't they? The first time I read through WoT, I imagined Lan as some sort of ranger, just a dude with a sword and a fancy cloak. But when I grew up, I learned more and more about India, and Malkier, with my brain "correcting" my image every time, until nowadays if I think "Lan", my brain supplies me with some super-strong Indian hero, straight out of the Ramayana.
Even though I know Aiel are supposed to be red or light haired white people, who can tan, I kinda pictured them as Native American. Rhuarc was Wind In His Hair from Dances With Wolves https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002110/?ref_=tt_ch, but aged up a decade or 2.

And Couladin was Wes Studi. From Last of the Mohicans or Dances with Wolves.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Gnoman posted:

Only one, not two. That's a legitimate criticism, and it is an artifact of Jordan writing in an era where trans folk were a great big joke if they were acknowledged to exist at all.
I don't see why it's a criticism. 1 Trans character is still infinitely more Trans characters than any of the successful IPs that have made it to TV or Movie like MCU, LOTR, GoT, Harry Potter, Star Wars, etc.

Shageletic posted:

I've rread these books multiple times and you cant argue that Jordan doesnt rely on stock women with roller pin type stereotypes to pad some of his comedic scenes.
Jordan is very guilty of this.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Lets be honest, how they decide to handle trans representation and how it relates to channeling isn't going to make or break the show for the average viewer. It's probably not even a blip on the average viewers radar. Hopefully they just cut arangar for all the reasons mentioned upthread.

Things that will matter to the average (non-book reader) viewer:

Do the Dragon Ball Z magic fight scenes look awesome? y/n

Tits? y/n

Swords and gore? Did Lan chop a head off yet this scene? y/n

Good acting, writing? y/n

Is Bela the Creator? y/n

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Vavrek posted:

Per earlier conversation (like maybe a year ago? year and a half?), on this point:

I strongly support equal sexualization of men and women. I don't think it's possible to tone down sexualization of women, so I support intense sexualization of all the male characters.

Especially Rand. There are several points in the series that I think are best explained by "Rand is very good looking." (It's my explanation for his relationship with Elayne: they're both incredibly hot idiots who met when 17-19.)

And by god, whoever they cast for Galad should make me question my own sexuality. Otherwise, it's poor casting.
Haha. Very true. I'm sure the male characters will be shirtless on camera as often as possible, just like GOT.

I amend my earlier proposal:

Tits? Lots of shots of the male characters well turned calves? y/n

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

One of the reasons superhero movies do so well in my circle is the frequent male beefcake. Thor, Cap, Batman, Supes, Aquaman.

I don't know that Amazon would send the WoT cast through the 300 muscle process, though.

I guess what I'm saying is, bring in Jason Momoa as Rhuarc and we're good.

e: Affleck as Bael.
Adam Beach as Gaul
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0063440/

I picture Galad as someone like Cole Sprause or Timothee Chalamet, but with a Brad Pitt in Fight Club level of muscle.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Torrannor posted:

Doesn't seem like a great fit for the pale skinned, red haired, green eyed Gaul.
When has that mattered for castings on this show? (apart from Rand)

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Vavrek posted:

That's kind of the thing exactly: Rand has to look Aiel. Aiel have to look like Rand. It's basically the only plot-required appearance-based casting decision. They cast somebody who pretty well matches the book description of Rand, so the Aiel also have to.
And people from the two rivers are supposed to look alike, yet they've cast people with African lineage, some with Indian and then Tam is Irish.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

DarkHorse posted:

The consistent description of Two Rivers folk is they're relatively dark-complected, there's still people from other regions around, and that nobody suspected Rand wasn't Tam's son
Two Rivers folk are described as dark of hair/eye and with a darker complexion than red heads. But that's true of any brown hair, brown eyed, white European.

Tam isn't from a different region. He's from Emond's Field and is never described as looking different from the other townsfolk. Kari Al'Thor is described as a red headed, grey eyed Andoran, that's why no one suspected Rand wasn't their child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

silvergoose posted:

Andoran? I thought she was just called outlander.

You n'wah!!!
https://wot.fandom.com/wiki/Kari_al%27Thor

The Wiki says she's Andoran, from Camelyn specifically.