Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I assumed all the sword techniques were funny made up names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Finished book 13 today. Good stuff. Was pretty surprised when Mat lost his goddamn eye. It was pretty funny how casual he was about it for the rest of the book.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

RC Cola posted:

Do you remember his 3 answers? It's been foreshadowed since book 4.
Also that whole sequence is one of my favorite of the series. What did you think of Perrin in this book?

I didn’t remember it specifically, but they did a callback to it when he was there previously.

It’s hard for me to judge characters on a book-by-book basis since I’m blasting all of them sequentially, but I wasn’t as annoyed by him in this one as I was with previous though. He does some good (saves the Children), and finally starts to accept that he has goddamn wolf man powers after 13 goddamn books.

The last chunk of his in the book was hazy at best (I was dealing with cranky babies while listening) and I’m going to have to read the chapter summary to clear it up.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Guys, there is 0% chance they make the Children look like the drat KKK on tv. Come on.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

There’s a guy floating across the river and a trolloc in the second pic.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Started book 14 yesterday, hell yeah.

3 hour prologue, yeaaahhhh. At least it was pretty good.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

bitprophet posted:

Where's the Trolloc? I can't find it even when I go full size on that pic.

Also, excite. Finished MoL late last week (this reread was my first time getting past, I think, book 4? 5?) – it's been a real ride finally finishing up something I started reading in the mid 90s, and now being able to follow development/release of the hopefully-not-butchered TV show.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Spoilers :(

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The Glumslinger posted:

Cut out the Sea Folk and nobody will mind :colbert:

I was about to make this post.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

There better be some fuckin dark hounds and grolm. I’d assume raken are a given.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Brolander posted:

i love the audiobooks. but man, in the first book, they're all over the place. pronouncing loial differently in the same paragraph etc.

The one that pisses me off the most is “burr-gee-tuh” vs “beer-git-tuh.” gently caress that second pronunciation is awful.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

This word will never stop making me laugh when I hear it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

ChubbyChecker posted:

The book series is almost as old as the bible so there are no reasons for spoilers.

There’s multiple posters currently reading the books for the first time, myself included. Don’t be a dick.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

lol the original covers were so bad they were good/funny

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The portal stones were cool and got us grolms. I wish there were more using them and less instant-travel teleportation. Seems kinda cheesy.

1/3 through book 14. Enjoying it so far.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The dark one sends his regards.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Can we spoiler poo poo from the last 3 books or whatever? I’m almost halfway done with 14 and would rather not read stuff like that.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I'm in chapter 31 of book 14 and going under the wild assumption that the TV show will last this long, this book on TV is gonna be bonkers. I haven't even gotten to the "last battle" chapter that's 9 freakin hours long in audiobook format :lol:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

An hour into the 9-hour Last Battle chapter. :hellyeah:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Mat was always pretty funny, but definitely more so in the last 3 books. His swear word-laden letter to Elayne was loving hilarious. I think that was the first point in the series that actually made me laugh audibly.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Pleads posted:

That's great.

Just finished Lord of Chaos and I forgot how much of a tone shift Dumai's Wells indicates, hot diggity.

Dumai's Wells ruled and is going to be great in the TV show.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

ChubbyChecker posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_ekugPKqFw

Except the spells are silent and the sword moves are shouted.

Dude I haven't finished book 14. Spoil that poo poo.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

thark posted:

I mean it'll take you approximately two million years to listen to the whole series but as I recall the narrators are pretty good.

I’ve been listening for 3 years and I’m in the last battle right now. So yeah.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Just finished the last battle chapter.

One big complaint I had most of the series is the insane amount of plot armor all the main characters have. Well there goes that! It was also wild to see how much poo poo Demandred hosed up.

Only 4ish hours left in the audiobook. Feels odd after listening to this for almost 3 years now.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Welp, after 3 years and 3 months, I finally finished the series today. Read the first 3-4, and listened to the rest on audiobook during my work commute. It feels super weird to be done with it.

Random thoughts:
- The last battle was loving awesome and I can't wait to see that on TV, assuming it doesn't get canceled halfway through. I feel like this has to easily trump Helm's Deep or anything GOT did. There's SO much fighting that went on and the scale was insane.
- Lan was a badass.
- Gawyn's fight with the Seanchan rings seemed kind of a wet fart. I thought it would have been a great ending for him if he would have killed Demandred, then died. Instead, he just takes a sword to the gut or something and dies.
- Mat is easily one of my favorite characters. The funny, lucky gambler man who just wants to drink, gently caress and play dice, stumbles his way upward despite not wanting to and ends up one of the most powerful people in the Seanchan empire.
- I audibly yelled WHAT THE gently caress in my car when Fain's fog stabbed and "killed" him in front of Perrin. I had to rewind it just to make sure I heard what I heard. I think he was the first character I was upset with dying just because I enjoyed him so much.
- Mat's letter to Elayne was loving hilarious.
- Padan Fain was a cool character and I can't wait to see him in the show just randomly popping up and causing chaos. It's weird to go back to EotW and think "huh this peddler (or whatever he was) that visits the Two Rivers ends up loving a bunch of random poo poo up and ends up being a stabby cloud of fog in the last battle."
- Still don't really like Nynaeve. Sure, she had some cool scenes during the cleansing and the last battle, but overall, her character was really grating.
- I think it's kind of cheesy that Aviendha lived after her battle with
- The foresaken kind of mostly blended together to me throughout the books. I could never remember who did what since they weren't focused on too much. Like, I remember Asmodean (where the hell did he go? He didn't die, right?) for being with Rand for a while, Moghedien for being captive for a while then showing up at the end, Graendal for her battle with Aviendha, and Semirhage for zapping Rand's hand off. It'll be funny if I didn't match all of those names up correctly. Other than that, they were all just a big blend and could have been replaced with $FORESAKEN_OF_THE_DAY. Maybe if there were less, and each one got more pages? I dunno, I just had a hard time keeping them straight, with a few exceptions. Looking at the list of the foresaken on the WoT wiki, I couldn't tell you a single thing about Sammael, Aginor, Balthamel, or Be'lal. I either just straight up don't remember the names at all, or just can't remember who did what.
- Similarly, there are 2,782 loving named characters in this book. It was so hard keeping all of them straight. A lot of them would be mentioned in passing in one book, then 4 books later they have a small storyline and I don't know what I was supposed to remember about them. This is especially true for the Aes Sedai. There's so many random ones that have meaningless conversations that I could never keep straight.
- So is Rand's ending him driving his boat into a hurricane then loving off to become a lumberjack?

- Sanderson did an amazing job with the last 3 books.
- I'm super pumped for the show to air in 2028.

When I first read EotW, I was so loving confused by the Prologue. Now that I'm done, I definitely want to go back and re-read it now that it'll make much more sense.

Welp, that's it I suppose. Amazing series that ended up overcoming 5ish garbage books in the middle. It's wild that I've been going through the series for over 3 years now.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ha, yeah I forgot to mention that even without the 2800 characters, having a bunch of them change their names and play a dude who's playing a dude who's disguised as another dude made it even more confusing.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Invalid Validation posted:

Balefire was a bad crutch to lean on. Wish that never showed up.

I thought this about gateways. They made travel obsolete. It was way over-used. The portal stones and the Ways were really cool though. At least you could only access them from certain locations and they had stuff to them beyond boom you're there.

The Last Battle had a couple good uses of gateways though.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

e: this is not the brandon sanderson thread :v:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

e: wrong thread

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 2, 2021

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Sab669 posted:

"Best fantasy show episode since GOT S06E10" is... not a strong endorsement?

Visually impressive, sure, but the show went to absolute poo poo as soon as it surpassed the books.

That was a very very good episode.

I haven't been following this thread at all since it moves so fast, but what's the general thread concensus from book-readers? My take is sure, it's not the books, but they're doing a really good job with what they have to work with (namely lack of tons of screen time to show ALL of the braid-tugging).

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Thought this was a great episode. The Ajah costumes are incredible. I love how they're consistent with the characteristics of the Ajah (low-cut for greens, etc), but also how each sister of the same Ajah wear completely different outfits.

Am I just bad at remembering, or did Moraine and Suine really smash in the books? My son (book-reader) and I were both like "uhhhhhh" when they kissed. We didn't remember that at all.

The waygates are whatever. Totally fine with them. I hope they don't combine them with portal stones though, but I guess it's possible so we don't have 4 worlds on a time-limited TV series (real world, TAM, ways, whatever the world is they go to with portal stones). The short teaser they showed of inside the ways looked loving awesome and I can't wait til next episode to see them.

I don't really have any big complaints about the episode, or even the show in general. I'm really enjoying it all, and glad I can finally visually see the story, even if it is rushed to fit into 8 episodes. The changes they've made so far are perfectly fine IMO.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Zore posted:

Siuan and Moraine absolutely smashed when they were novices/accepted in the books which New Spring makes pretty clear. They spent their entire adult lives apart and pretending to be on the outs though and didn't have a ter'angreal that let them hook up so its like 20 years in the past by the time of the main storyline

Ahh, I never read New Spring, so that explains it. Guess I just must have missed it in the rest of the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Slow to get to this thread. My thoughts:

The good:
- The show is really good!
- The costumes are amazing
- The blight looked loving awesome
- The ways looked loving awesome

The meh:
- The quick pacing didn't really bother me until the last couple episodes, which seemed to blaze through content
- The ways looked like they were a whole 100 yards long. I think they could have done another couple shots to show they were a bit longer?
- I wished the "Dark One" dreams were longer than 4 seconds
- I wished we had gotten to Perrin's wolf dude, but I'm guessing he is coming in season 2? Or not at all?

The bad:
- "Killing" Loial for a non-book-reader gut punch was a really stupid loving decision
- Needs more Thom
- Waiting another year for season 2