Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

seaborgium posted:

I always thought of the Seanchan helmets as kind of a throwback to the Age of Legends. They had the ter'an'greal that could talk over long distances, I just assumed that most of the soldiers then had them in their helmets for communication and they stuck out a bit so they worked better, and Hawkwing was close enough in time that they had lost the ability to do it, but decorated them so they looked similar.

Eh, Hawking was like more than 2000 years after the Breaking, and is far closer to Randland times than to the Breaking itself. I don't know if I would call it 'close enough' in time.

I don't know if Mat ever mentions that the Seanchan armor/helmets are familiar or not from his memories. I always assumed their style was from the Seanchan continent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Mat Cauthon posted:

I don't think this is true or that the material supports it. Rand has lots of advantages on his side when he fights Turak:

- He can channel, or at least touch saidin, which confers some physical and mental strength just by achieving the Void.

I don't know if I agree with this. Obviously the flame and the void is used to access saidin, but it's not as though you need to be able to touch saidin to use the void. Tam teaches the technique to Rand, and Lan clearly recognizes it as well.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

jng2058 posted:

If there's any one character that I'm praying gets a major overhaul in the show, it's Gawyn. Egwene is such a good character and Gawyn is such a dumpster fire that I hope they fix him so that he's worthy of the love she ends up having for him. Because as it is, he's just the worst.

I hate about 90% of the romance in the books. It's so frustrating the way that Elayne will go on and on about Rand, when on the page you see them together for maybe 10 pages before Rand goes off to the Waste, after which she sees him once (to bond and gently caress). Similar with Egwene and Gawyn. Apart from dream sex, she has like a couple weeks in Cairhien meeting with him to make out in a tavern. And then after that it's all 'he's the one, I'm gonna bond him and love him forever'.

Like, I know that there's stuff happening off the page in the downtimes, but it all seems so abrupt.

The only reason I can swallow most of it is reminding myself that almost all of these characters are like 18-20 and experiencing their first love, and people are loving stupid about it at that age.

As much as Faile + Perrin gets annoying later, I do like the way their relationship builds on the page, and the bit where she comforts him when he finds out his entire extended family is dead is one of the most emotionally touching scenes in the series.

Rand + Min and Rand + Aviendha also get enough on screen time to be believable.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

I want to see the show, but I'm fully aware that it is going to be disappointing in some way. Even if the scenes they do film are amazing and perfect, the compression is going to be so much that they will inevitably be dropping scenes/characters you think are awesome. And it'll be different for every watcher.

I also think a lot of the enchantment of the series is because of the use of the PoV and everyone is at least a little bit of an unreliable narrator. That's going to be really hard to pull off in a show like this, especially as noted with the amount of compression of the material.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

(Also let's be honest here, nobody from Emond's Field knows what Artur Hawkwing physically looked like 1000 years ago, they're all going by archetypes and descriptions from the gleeman tales)

Except for Mat once he gets the memories.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Cavelcade posted:

The problem with Caemlyn burning is that her behaviour always seemed to indicate she cared more about ruling it; otherwise, she should have supported Dyelin to take the throne. So, the city was damaged but her still being in charge of the ashes actually doesn't strike me as a loss for her.

I mean, she literally did offer to step aside for Dyelin at least once during the succession (and probably more often, god I don't remember most of the Elayne chapters in Caemlyn). Dyelin refused, and made it clear continuously that she did not want to be queen unless as a last resort.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

JOHN SKELETON posted:

I wonder what they will do with stilling and people not recognizing Siuan.

I doubt they will bother doing anything at all, unless the actor wants to move on to something else. It's such a minor point, and they can use disguises, hoods, etc. Once they are outside of the Tower, very few people would actually know what the Amrylin looks like. The only affected plot point would be the Gareth Bryne situation, but that's super easy to either cut or change.\

I'm glad they aren't trying to do the 'agelessness' thing. That's something that works okay in book descriptions, but trying to apply to a visual medium would very likely look so artificial that it would make no sense that an Aes Sedai can go undercover.

Gully Foyle fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 10, 2021

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

For my opinion, The Gathering Storm alone has perhaps 5 or 6 of the best chapters in the entire series (I'm sure those were mostly written by Jordan, but Sanderson does a good job of propelling the story towards those pivotal moments at least.). I think if you enjoyed the series up to that point at all, you are definitely missing out if you don't read the last few books.

Gully Foyle fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Oct 15, 2021

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

seaborgium posted:

And there's a new clip of Logain, looks like they went with black for showing male channeling. I wonder if they'll switch it to white after the cleansing or not.

It would make sense for it to be black in universe, given the whole yin/yang symbol for the Aes Sedai representing each half of the Power. And then as a visual element, it will be good for anytime both types of channeling are used at the same time (like the Cleansing) to more clearly show what is happening.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Johnny Joestar posted:

yeah, the topic about the face stuff came up earlier and mostly the takeaway is that it makes no sense for them to burn a bunch of money on special effects needed to make something truly uncanny that also doesn't look weird and half-assed, and have it be something they have to do for a very large assortment of actors who will be frequently showing up. just one of those things that has to be sacrificed for the live action medium.

Same with the warder cloaks. Cool thing in the books, but there's very little point actually spending CGI money on that. Especially since they aren't really important or crucial at any point. Yeah, Lan is good at being sneaky, but the Aiel do that just fine without magical cloth - you don't need the fancy cloaks to have Lan capable enough of sneaking into the Whitecloak camp or whatever.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

The Lord Bude posted:

um no? there is a kiss involved, and they apologise and explain that they learned it that way because they initially learned to use the weaves on their wives. There is nothing whatsoever in the text to suggest anything more than that. And Logain does not rape the Aes Sedai, the text explicitly says she decided to try and seduce him for strategic purposes.

Eh, the scene when Logain bonds Toveine has some fairly explicitly orgasmic language, and obviously it was done without consent.

quote:

Warmth flooded through her. More than warmth. She was melted honey inside, bubbling honey, rushing toward the boil. She was a harpstring, vibrating faster and faster, vibrating to invisibility and faster still. She was a thin crystal vase, quivering on the brink of shattering. The harpstring broke; the vase shattered.
“Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!”

So that's not great. After that, the Aes Sedai are essentially prisoners at the Black Tower. They did come there with the mission of gentling/killing every one there - being taken prisoner is not exactly an excessive reaction. And at least for Logain, there's never any implication of sexual violence past the bonding scene. One of the Aes Sedai does seduce him, but it takes her several days of trying to even get it to happen and it's never implied that she is doing it out of anything but her own choice.

It's definitely a huge mischaracterization to refer to the Aes Sedai sworn to Rand as a "harem of slaves". Yeah, they swore an oath of obedience. It's a thing that happens all over the place in these books. Oaths are are basic part of the structure of the world, and are taken very seriously. Rand takes oaths from about a bajillion people throughout the series - basically every noble in Tear, Cairhien, Illian, Arad Doman, etc.

The only real difference with the Aes Sedai is that Verin semi-compels some of them into taking that oath (not that Rand knows about that).

Gully Foyle fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 16, 2021

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

bio347 posted:

I'd offer that the other difference with Aes Sedai is that (for the non-Black Ajah, at least) the First Oath compels them to actually keep their oath to Rand whereas some poo poo-rear end Tear noble can swear the oath and then immediately go back to doing whatever they want once the Dragon isn't looking.

Hmmm, I would argue that the First Oath only would apply at the time the oath was taken. That is, the Aes Sedai taking the oath has to truly believe that they will keep it at the time they swear.
If something happens later on that leads them to break their oath of obedience, that doesn't mean they didn't tell the truth at the time they swore to obey. I don't think their future actions are constrained by their past words through the First Oath - they just have to believe the words when they say them. Like, an Aes Sedai could say something like "I vow I will eggs for breakfast tomorrow". As long as they believe that is true, the First Oath lets them make that vow. I don't think the First Oath would then force them to actually eat eggs.

This is all speculation, I don't think there's an example in the books either way.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

buffalo all day posted:

I thought all the poo poo that happens with the shaido and the oath rod and the red/black ajah psycho shows this isn’t the case though? She seems physically constrained by her oath

That's completely different. Galine made an Oath on the Oath Rod to obey Sevanna/Therava etc. She is compelled to obey because that oath was sworn on the Oath Rod (well, an Oath Rod at least).

The oath that the Aes Sedai made to Rand was not done on an Oath Rod. Yes, they are constrained to "speak no word that is not true", but does that mean that any ordinary oath is unbreakable? I would argue not. As long as they accept the consequences of breaking that oath (for instance, giving up their "hope of salvation and rebirth"), I would argue they could break the oath they swore to Rand.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Get hit in the head hard enough and you may forget you made the oath, but I imagine you would be compelled to eat eggs as your next meal after midnight or dawn, whatever is your belief of breakfast. You probably could not eat anything else, like that one who was choking due to contradicting instructions.

That would apply if the Aes Sedai made that vow to eat eggs for breakfast on the Oath Rod. I'm talking about how an ordinary vow is treated considering the Oath to tell the truth.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Jaxyon posted:

The character so obviously knows what's going on that she had to get sidelined for 50% of the books.

Eh, Moiraine knew a lot but not all, and was often wrong. At the start of The Shadow Rising, for instance, she's pretty insistent on getting Rand to go after Illian/Sammael, partly due to one of the prophecies speaking of a "forsaken city". Of course, Rand decides to travel to Rhuidean and the Waste, which of course is required to get the Aiel on his side (and get the access key, and get Asmodean teaching him, and so on).

Moiraine thought it was dangerous for Rand to study the Dragon prophecies, but at the same time made extremely faulty assumptions on what she herself thought the prophecies meant.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Depends on the healing in question, because Chesmal is going to have to pretend to be her Yellow Ajah self until the 3rd book.

Exactly what I was thinking - Chesmal must do a lot of perfectly normal Healing to blend in.

However, the Healing they are talking about there is very likely going to be Matt's healing (assuming that is kept the way it is), and Siuan would never in a million years have picked Chesmal to help out (since she knew that there was a good chance that Chesmal was Black due to New Spring events).

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Data Graham posted:

This only showed up what, like twice? And there's all these other increasingly efficient methods of Fast Travel they keep discovering as time goes on. Everyone always says WoT is a shonen anime; eh, more like it's a JRPG

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Yeah it doesn't last for very long and I think it's most notable use is (I think) Asmodean and Rand battling to Rhuidean on plates?

It was pretty loving awesome when the Skimming platform makes a return with Mat and the gholam though.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

How are u posted:

I didn't even notice the half second clip of the Aiel at the blood snow until I was watching the trailer walkthrough with Rafe. Fuucking cool, bros.

Pretty good chance the guy with the yellow cloak is Tam too, since the armor has the Golden Bees of Illian on it, and looks fancy enough for the Second Captain of the Companions. I wonder if this will be done in flashback while Rand and Tam are heading back to Emond's Field and Tam is rambling.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Jedit posted:

Does that mean the Aiel is Janduin?

Maybe? I don't remember anything about Tam/Janduin actually meeting/fighting. In the books, Janduin survives the Aiel War and is eventually killed by Slayer (or at least Luc, I don't know if he is Slayer at that time).

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

El Grillo posted:

Someone was asking in the TV thread when the Aiel first show up. I think it's book two right? The horn hunting group comes across a bunch of them in some pass somewhere, they're already looking for He Who Comes With The Dawn? Maybe even Ruarc is with them, can't remember

Yeah, the Aiel show up in person twice during The Great Hunt. Once like you mentioned (after Rand is separated from them), and once later on in a stedding. The second time it's a few Maidens I think. Rhuarc doesn't show up until book 3 though, with Aviendha when they meet Egwene, Elayne, and Nynaeve on their way to Tear.

In the first book, you just get secondhand accounts.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Hexel posted:

My head canon considers her the 1st wife since she gets boned the most :dong:

Same to me, though more because Rand/Min are the only pairing of Rand's that feels like an actual relationship in the slightest - they spend a significant amount of time together, they actually talk about their relationship, and Rand has actual feelings for her.

Even when he is slowly descending into madness, Min is a true source of comfort to Rand, and it's the threat to her that starts him along his final descent in The Gathering Storm.

Gully Foyle fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 30, 2021

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Thoughts on the first three eps. Spoilers for people who haven't watched yet.

Episode 1:

- Overall thought: First episode is probably the weakest feeling of the three, just due to the rushed pacing. However, I don't mind this given they want to actually finish the full series without taking 200 episodes. This episode has to do a lot of introducing and background and still gets the story moving. It suffers for it, but felt necessary.

- The opening with the Reds was a great way of showing the madness and also hopefully foreshadowing LTT appearing to Rand.
- Not super thrilled with the changes to the prophecy and so on, but it won't matter once Rand is revealed as the Dragon Reborn.
- Not a fan of the changes to Matt's family, but Matt himself being a hero is well done. And maybe they can have a redemption arc if the Perrin/Two Rivers battle stuff comes into the show.
- Like others have said, the super obvious fridging with Perrin is kind of ridiculous. I think she gets two total words before the Trolloc attack. I understand why we need to see Perrin's reluctance to violence, but probably could have been better without using a woman's death for it. Why not just keep it with Master Luhan or something to at least remove the gendered stereotype?
- Rand and Egwene getting it on was great - awkward book Rand is frustrating, and with the characters being aged up there's no way they wouldn't have boned.
- Nynaeve's story about her mentor/parent figure being turned away from the White Tower for being a peasant makes no sense if they keep Siuan as she was. Obviously possible that Nynaeve didn't get the actual story about why.
- Tam talking to Rand about the Wheel and about how "All we can do is try to do better the next time" is amazing foreshadowing for Rand on Dragonmount at the end of The Gathering Storm, and could be a fantastic callback if they keep it.
- The Trolloc attack/Moiraine and Lan fighting was loving awesome. Anyone worried about it being too non-violent can probably be assuaged by the first Trolloc that Moiraine literally rips in two. The channeling looked amazing, and I really hope they are able to keep the scale pumping up when we get to crazy Power battles later on like Dumai's Wells, Maradon, the manor-house, etc.
- RIP the Winespring Inn, haha
- Sad to miss Rand/Tam in the woods, but that would make Rand too obviously the centrepiece I think.

Episode 2:

-Overall thought: This episode is stronger than the previous, and gives the characters some time to breathe. I liked the interaction with Moiraine and the boys/Egwene. Rand comes across as a bit sulkier, but I think with the ferryman's death, it's more justified. Plus Rand didn't witness Moiraine's badassery in the battle.

- Whitecloaks come across as a bit cartoonish, but at least they have menace more than relative incompetence it feels like. I think they are going for hand-motions being required for channeling (at least for the Aes Sedai). Moiraine seems to always need to gesture, and they removed the Yellow's hands here. Makes for a decent reason how Whitecloaks could burn Aes Sedai.
- Getting the Manetheren story here is one of the closest bits that feels straight out of the books, and it works. Rosamund Pike does a great job in this episode in general.
- Rand/Egwene getting snippy with each other also feels like a nice book moment, and it doesn't last long enough to get annoying.
- The old bat in the mouth gag, classic Ishamael. Really liked this got brought in as the start of the dreams. \
- One general change to the series is how open people are generally. Moiraine is open about the search for the Dragon Reborn, she openly channels to sink the ferry, the boys/Egwene tell Moiraine about the dream and Ishamael immediately, and so on. I think this change works alright, but it's odd how little shock they have over being told that one of them is the Dragon Reborn. I guess at this point they probably just don't buy it.
- Moiraine sinking the ferry and having the ferryman die was a great shorthand for how far Moiraine is willing to go on this quest.
- Shadar Logoth! Looked so good! The dead quiet as soon as they got in, the tight streets and loving enormous wall all the way around, man the atmosphere was great. I don't mind skipping out on Mordeth, probably would have been too cheesy in a show and too obvious. Matt just following a shadow to the dagger was a good compromise. And I like Mashadar as a corrupting shadow instead of mist. I do wish they had the Trollocs/Fades still get forced into the city to show off Mashadar more. Bela better have made it out, is all I'm saying.

Episode 3:

-Overall thought: I think this the best of the three so far. Mat/Rand make a great traveling couple, and Mat's humor continues to be a highlight even with the dagger starting to work. Lan/Nynaeve have great chemistry and make that romance much more realistic (also helps he doesn't look twice her age). The Breen Spring was a good compression of all the Mat/Rand travels - working for supper, Darkfriends everywhere, Rand unknowingly using the power to break out, etc.

- Nynaeve is a badass and it works. Holy poo poo.
- Nynaeve literally tries to kill Lan, he gives her a concussion and ties her to a tree, and it is somehow basically their meet-cute. And it works!
- Glad the herbs are making an appearance!
- Liandrin is suitably evil looking without being obviously a Darkfriend.

- Egwene/Perrin stumbling through the wilderness works pretty well - they look hungry and cold.
- Perrin's dream is awesome - love the way Ba'alzamon just appears in the background for a split second here and there, very creepy. Hopper (presumably) chewing on Laila is an interesting touch - gives Perrin another reason to try to push the wolves away for a while, while it's not an overtly evil act (to the wolf I mean). Either that or it is just Perrin's internal guilt literally chewing at him.
- The Tinkers work pretty well! Sure, they could be brighter-dressed, but hard to keep bright cloth that clean in the wilderness. Wonder if they will use Aram in the same way as the books for the series.

- Mat/Rand are great together.
- I like Thom's introduction - not the same gleeman as the books, but I like this Western cowboy version I think. The song being about LTT with Rand standing there in the light is a good touch.
- Good introduction to some of the Aiel culture/dress/looks. Focus on the red hair feels obvious, but might be less so to non-readers.
- I like that I didn't guess where the Dana plotline was going until she revealed it - probably obvious in retrospect. Still a great introduction to Darkfriends being anybody and everywhere, and not having to seem evil.
- Rand using the Power in a way that is both subtle enough for him to not notice and obvious enough for the viewer was really well done.
- Interesting that the whole nihilism/break the Wheel seems to be a more upfront motive of the Dark in this telling - in the books, Darkfriends usually just wanted power/glory etc., and it was only Ishamael and The Dark One that knew the true goal.

All in all, super happy so far in comparison to how I thought it would be the first time I heard this was being made, and I can't wait for the rest of the season. The gap between seasons is going to be a bitch.

Gully Foyle fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Nov 19, 2021

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

I really liked the bath scene between Lan and Moiraine, did a great job of establishing their bond - intimate without being romantic or sexual. At first I was a bit like "Lan wouldnt complain of cold water", but then recalled yeah of course he would. Lan was practically raised in Shienar, and they love their hot and co-ed baths.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Jose Valasquez posted:

Only thing that really bothered me was the whitecloaks not saying "Hey, are you an Aes Sedai?" and then immediately murdering everyone. Also it wasn't clear why the Aes Sedai they burned was unable to channel to fight back

I feel pretty confident they are going for something along the lines of hand movement being required for channeling, at least for the Aes Sedai. Moiraine uses hand motions for pretty much everything, especially the big things. So the Yellow with her hands chopped off can't channel. Might be interesting if they keep this notion when Rand loses one hand.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

She's got months of reports from rulers and eyes and ears, he was not doing so hot.

Exactly. It's frustrating in the books especially with Traveling being a thing that should help, but Egwene gets her information from Aes Sedai sources (eyes and ears etc.), and the nature of news and rumour twists the actual events even when they are good or neutral Rand. When they are bad Rand like abandoning Bander Eban to starvation... of course she is not going to trust him. Plus he is a man who channels and is destined to go mad! (Since very few believe that Saidin is cleansed). He very nearly did destroy the entire Pattern just before he comes to Tar Valon with his breaking the Seals plan.

Finally, Rand was probably at least partially wrong. He wanted to break the seals himself, but Egwene convinced him to at least let her decide. If Rand had kept the seals (discounting the fake seal switcheroo), theres no way he would have been in a state to break them at the right time given his battle with the Dark One.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

CainFortea posted:

The prequel book has Moraine tossing Lan into a pool of cold water as their first meeting. Lan gives her poo poo for it for a while. I think this is a callback to that.

Haha, I knew that but didnt make the connection. The show does have a decent amount of Easter eggs that are there for readers without being in the way of new viewers.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Jedit posted:

Not just that; Moiraine says that there's hardly a nation in Randland that actually holds the land it claims on a map. Andor is just exceptional in having lost all but nominal claim over a region the size of another kingdom.

Eh, the Two Rivers itself isn't big, it really is a small part of Andor. It was itself just a tiny part of Manetheren, but it was the central part right next to the capital.

One thing I've heard people complain about is the small size of the longbows in the show, but the book longbows made no sense in the world of the Wheel of Time. They are obviously meant to be analogous to the English longbows of the Hundred Years War fame. But the training required to draw and aim with accuracy was lifelong and difficult, to the point of the crown at various point issuing laws requiring training or banning non-archery sports.

Yet somehow the Two Rivers, who haven't seen conflict on any significant scale in centuries and have no centralized source of authority or power, maintain not only the bows themselves but train to the point where they are taking on Trolloc armies with very little warning and providing forces of hundreds or even thousands of archers to the conflicts leading up to the Last Battle.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Goofballs posted:

Wasn't it a thing in the books that only the reds know that they have been going out and gentling men without doing a trial and what not. And that's a huge secret because a its vigilante poo poo and b some of it is black ajah instigated. And then Moiraine just watches it happen in the first scene. So I guess people are fine with that in this version.

I don't think Moiraine is 'fine' with it, but she's got a bit of a more important focus right now.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

I took that scene being an extra to mean it was less likely to be a scene in the show

Who knows. The animated extra for the second episode was just the fall of Manetheren, which we got the story of in the actual episode too. I have my doubts on the Mat scene happening as it is though - who knows how they are even plotting the seasons and where Mat will be?

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Nynaeve going all super saiyan here is loving awesome, and I think the decision to keep 'who is the Dragon Reborn' a mystery is paying off better than I would have imagined.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Episode 4 thoughts:

- Overall thought: drat that was awesome! At least at first watch my favourite episode so far. The ending sequence was fantastic, and a great way of showing just how powerful Nynaeve is.

- Logain's arc as the false Dragon is really well played. Tainted saidin looks so oily and gross as it should. I like that they show off not only the madness of the taint but the fact that it can be held off, and that even madness does not remove agency or choice. Alvaro's Logain is incredible and charismatic. You can understand why Min could see glory around him.

- Grinwell farm was well done - nice to subvert expections on Else Grinwell haha. Odd choice at the start to have Rand be mistrusting of Thom and Mat more accepting, but once Master Grinwell showed up and Mat went for the dagger it was more as it should be. I like Rand being the nice honest Two Rivers boy.
- Mat's dagger sickness being similar to the taint (at least similar enough Thom) from the outside is an interesting decision. Decent way to work in Owyn's story in the brief time we have with Thom (it seems - hopefully he will be back sooner than the books).
- Birgitte! Couldn't tell, but I don't think there was a silver bow with the doll sadly, but you do get the golden braid!
- Like, I knew it couldn't have been Mat that killed the family, but gently caress, a part of me despaired for a moment. Thank god for the Fade. Foreshadowing or hinting here at the opposition between Mashadar/Mordeth and the Dark One - nice.
- The fight choreography between Thom and the Fade was excellent. Sad they left out the blue flashes etc, but close enough.

- The introduction to the way of the Leaf is well done, especially with the way that Ila perceives the turmoil within Perrin.
- Ila's story is a great callback/foreshadowing to the Tinker/Aiel split from the Rhuidean visions. Exactly the same kind of story, but from the point of the view of those who kept the Way.
- Aram is a little cheesy/modern feeling for me for some reason.
- Interesting change to have the Tinkers have a Rumspringa of sorts, especially if its true as Aram implies that some take up arms. Not sure if I like that specific aspect of this change - I don't mind the wandering etc., but the vehemence that the book Tuatha'an show when Aram picks up a sword is a key piece of the story of the Tuatha'an.

- The slower change of pace for the first part of the Aes Sedai camp story was nice. Interesting addition to the Reds having policing Aes Sedai themselves as part of their Ajah duties. Wonder how much of that is Liandrin and how much is the actual Red Ajah.
- Green Ajah + Warder orgies confirmed, I'm down with that. I like the contrast between the Greens and Moiraine/Lan.
- Good to show more of the Nynaeve/Lan romance development, feels believable if a bit storybook so far.

- All of the scenes with Moiraine and Logain - so good. She is taken aback by just how strong he is, and as she says, he is nothing besides the DR.
- I like the uncertainty Moiraine has at first when she speaks to Logain... a part of her truly wonders, at least for a moment, if he is what he thinks and that the prophecies etc are mistaken.
- Confirmed that the men's weaves are invisible to women, and they are just for us viewers - I'm good with that.
- The Dragon's 'army' is a little small - but understandable given the restrictions of TV. I just hope that true armies do get their time and effort later on.
- The AS/Dragonsworn fight is a bit of a miss for me - not sure why, but felt a bit underwhelming. As Liandrin implied, the Aes Sedai should be better about holding off an army than this. Granted, several of them were occupied with Logain, but still... not a great showing for the Battle Ajah. To be fair, this is pretty true to the books, where the Greens were less than stellar. It also shows how the different Ajahs don't do a great job at cooperating.
- Logain's escape on the other hand, drat that was incredible. Just the initial explosion and then Logain standing up perfectly calm as the cage melts. Makes me dream of a certain box scene.
- Goddamn I was not prepared for the last scene - Lan getting his loving throat cut, Moiraine impaled. I was almost wondering if balefire was about to get used to reverse time, but Nynaeve's superheal was a great alternative. The brilliant glow of the Power around her as compared to all the Aes Sedai we've seen, her anger, the fact that she uses it to heal rather than attack, all just perfect!
- Liandrin using the opportunity to gentle Logain was great. Her action is both justifiable (as shown by the rest of the Aes Sedai linking with her to do it) and in keeping with the Black Ajah actions to sever men without waiting for trial.

All in all, 9/10 for me.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

RC Cola posted:

My one issue with the episode Was sisters using the power to kill so quickly. Or I like it? Establish how easy to get around killing with the 3 oaths is in the show.

I mean they have an army of dudes charging at them with swords and shooting arrows straight at them. If that doesn't make them feel in sufficient danger, I dont know what would.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Hellbore posted:

WoT Fandom wiki has a relative strength scale of channelers, citing The Wheel of Time Companion which was published by Jordan's widow and writing assistants from Jordan's notes.

https://wot.fandom.com/wiki/One_Power#Scales_of_Power

According to that scale, if Rand is in the top spot, Logain is the next step down, and Nynaeve is another 7 ranks below that.

One other possibility is that Logain hasn't yet reached his full potential either. In books, we know that men grow in the power by sudden jumps, possibly through adversity. Logain may be weaker now than he ends up in the end after being healed, and going through all the trials and tribulations around the Black Tower.

Also it doesn't matter. gently caress the whole "men are typically stronger" bs. Nynaeve is badass.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

VikingofRock posted:

- I might have missed something, but I was expecting to see some warders to go into an incurable killing frenzy after the Green that was guarding Logaine was killed. Did this happen and I just missed it?

Her warder was Stepin, the guy with two axes, who immediately charged in to the cave and tried to kill Logain.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Hollismason posted:

Whats the power ranking chart thing ? I've never heard of that and its not mentioned in the books themselves.

As people have said, it's not really important. Jordan kept track of the power level of the channelers as notes to himself, basically so he could be internally consistent whenever it came up. But the specifics dont matter.

As for the Seanchan, I'm a little worried just because I am really not looking forward to seeing sul'dam/damane on screen.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

It's just one of those cases where the poetic/dramatic effect outweighed the slight danger of lore implications. They could have had Moiraine be the one to say "like the raging sun" instead of Logain and been perfectly fine on the lore/book end. But having Logain mirror Moiraine's previous words works much better from the dramatic end, and it shows that Logain loses faith that he is the Dragon Reborn even before being gentled.

I'm happy with the balance they've struck here.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

CainFortea posted:

So, that reminds me. Rand knocking down the ironwood door.

First channel? Or ta'varen luck that the frame had some rot in it from an un-noticed termite infestation or something?

Personal opinion is 100% channeling. Even the time he hits the door before breaking through, the entire frame shudders. Plus it mirrors one of the more overt Rand channeling scenes from the book, where he and Mat are stuck in a storeroom and Rand summons lightning to blow out a wall. This one was more subtle to keep the mystery, but I'm super confident that was Rand channeling.

I think next week they may introduce channeling sickness. Was this episode meant to be Nynaeve's first channeling experience? If so, maybe they will Moiraine explain it to her/the audience like in the books, and then see it with Rand. That might be too obvious - but at the same time just because Rand can channel doesn't automatically make him the DR in the show, especially with Nynaeve's power. Right now Rand is the only one with nothing special going on to the audience.

It takes a week or two after the first time to develop the symptoms according to the book, and it feels like Episode 4 is only a couple of days after Episode 3.

Gully Foyle fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 28, 2021

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Hollismason posted:

Yeah Rand gets the sickness after the lightning strike at the Inn he and Mat were staying at if I recall correctly.

He does, but that's the third channeling in the books for him, and by that point we've already seen him suffer the symptoms twice before that point (though it's often overlooked by new readers).

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Hollismason posted:

Are they going to show Caemlyn in the series? I'm really curious how they make a huge city in the show.

E;fb

Not this season, though we will get Tar Valon which is I think technically a larger city than Caemlyn.

We know that Elayne was cast as a Season 2 addition, but whether or not we go to Caemlyn as part of that who knows? I'm sure we will in the series, I really hope they don't cut out the Rahvin fight.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Devorum posted:

I like it. I've read the books a shameful number of times. I know that story like the back of my hand. I'm absolutely here for the altered version we're getting, it's like getting to experience it for the first time again.

I'm very much in the Douglas Adams school of thought on adaptations and, with rare exceptions, straight adaptations bore me.

This is what I'm really enjoying. Like, we all know the broad strokes of the story/characters that they have to hit (Rand being the DR, Perrin as a Wolfbrother, Matt the General, Egwene as Amrylin, the Aiel, Seanchan, the Last Battle, etc.), but beyond that it gets fuzzier and less certain.

Like for this season, I know just from titles/trailers that:
- The group is going to re-unite in Tar Valon, have some Aes Sedai politics and meet Loial
- There will be some source of information that the Eye of the World is the key
- They travel through the Ways to Fal Dara
- They find the Eye and Rand will do something that shows him to be the Dragon Reborn

But how they do it? The plot and character beats in between? It's all pretty much unknown, and it means I can enjoy the show for what it is rather than trying to make it fit the shape of the books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

I wonder if they'll cut some forsaken. Thirteen seems like too many to care about, especially with how comic booky some of their deaths are handled. I also wonder if they've considered implementing Taimandred at all. rafe is a proper book nerd and would be at least aware of the theory. I can't believe we're halfway done with season 1 already.

Agree with cutting the Forsaken down. There's not enough seasons/episodes to flesh them all out. Here's what I think would be a decent set:

- Ishamael/Moridin - must keep (obivously), plus we know him by name in the show
- Aginor/Balthamel - either cut completely or merge to one that gets ganked by Rand at the end of this season at the Eye. I'd cut both except having one battle Rand would be cinematic, finalize the Dragon Reborn reveal, and provides an introduction to the Forsaken themselves. I would dispense with their resurrection characters. Osangar/Aranger do very little in the grand scheme of things, and Arangar has some uncomfortable implications.
- Be'lal - I think cut completely. This makes me sad to write, since I loving love Moiraine shanking him with balefire, but he's barely a character, and you have the climactic battle with Ishamael at the Stone anyways.
- Lanfear - must keep. Adds so much, does a lot to provide LTT backstory, and has an epic showdown. I wonder if you don't bother with her "resurrection" either. Maybe she gets freed accidentally when Mat frees Moiraine instead of the Cyndane resurrection.
- Sammael/Rahvin - merge into one. I'd keep the death as Rahvin's because it's awesome.
- Demandred - keep, possibly doing the whole Taimandred thing. The Dark forces need some leader/general at the last battle to be the foil to Mat/the armies of Light. The main reason not to merge Taim and Demandred is because they both have great endings.
- Asmodean - keep. He fills that important sympathetic villain role. Most of the Forsaken come across as cartoonish, but Asmodean provides a good contrast to that.
- Mesaana/Moghedien/Graendal/Semirhage - I'd merge these four down to two. Have one be Moghedien/Mesaana as the spy master/Black Ajah head, and one be Graendal/Semirhage as the manipulator/torturer. If they follow the books, I'd keep their deaths as the ones for Mesaana and Semirhage, and then give Lanfear the Last Battle duties (corrupting the Great Captains etc.).

That cuts down to 7 or 8, which is much more reasonable for the show. I also don't think there's enough room for the resurrections that aren't Ishy/Moridin.

Gully Foyle fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 30, 2021