Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

That lady who'll be playing Nynaeve has braids to tug for days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Also, I just want to say I'm pleased by how diverse that cast looks. I think a lot of the racial diversity in WoT gets glossed over or ignored, but while they may still be super hung up on nationalism they're pretty much a post-racism society. I don't remember just how long it took but I'm fairly sure Tuon had been a character in several books before it was mentioned that she was black.

I hope there are like five times as many weird little gatherings of the Forsaken in the TV show, I loved those meetings.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

MORE TAXES WHEN posted:

That sounds great, cool that you had the chance to interact with him! I guess I should trawl that thread.

This last part though, the anime structure - I'm but an old retired weeb, so I'm not sure if I'm too young or too old for that similarity to become apparent, but I can't really see it. Like, what specific elements are you referring to with this? The way it kind of bounces around between the giant cast?

Read the sword fight Rand has with the Seanchan dude in Falme. It's anime as all hell, they practically yell the names of their attacks before they make them.

Mad Hamish fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Sep 20, 2019

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

I can't remember which particular books had the whole pointless Faile and Morgase being captured by the Shaido Aiel part but those chapters could have been excised entirely with no real impact on the plot.

While I'm here it would have been neat if literally anything had happened with those titular Towers of Midnight.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Torrannor posted:

The Towers of Midnight are both famous buildings in Seanchan, and another term for the Forsaken. And there was quite a lot of Forsaken action going on in ToM.

I cannot for the life of me recall them being mentioned save for the prologue in one of the books.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Lanfear asking Rand if he would like to live deliciously.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

That was absolutely one of my favourite parts of the series. The hunt for the Black Ajah was super interesting, but finding out that Verin had infiltrated them just to discover their secrets was so cool and I loved all of it.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

BattyKiara posted:

I tried to read this series. But there was a stumbling block. I absolutely HATE one character. If ever there was a character I wanted to see eaten by a Trolloc it was Elayne. I got as far as her adoption ceremony with Aiel girl. And just couldn't go on. Any advice on how to get over the terribleness that is Elayne?

If it makes you feel better she literally never sees any consequences for her actions and at one point assumes she has plot immunity and can't die for a while. Because of this lots of people get killed.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

This is sublime and I can't stop laughing.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

The Aes Sedai politics were one of the most enjoyable parts for me, because they led to Elaida's Continuous Mistake. Elaida's Continuous Mistake is as enjoyable to read as Cersei's Continuous Mistake in ASoIaF.

Elayne is by far the worst character even more than Faile, and Faile is loathsome. For God's sakes Light blind me, when she has to wear a veil in Tarabon (?) she's the only one who has trouble with it because she literally has her nose turned up at all times.

Best characters are Verin, Tuon, and Elaida.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

I'm not sure how well the details of just how nuts Llews Therin went would have survived over three thousand years of chaos and upheaval. Usually my question is "why don't they ask one of the captured Forsaken?" but in their case they got sealed in the Bore before Therin went bonkers and wouldn't have been there to see it.

I'm still amazed that they didn't try and pump Moghedien or Semirhage for information about the Age of Legends. Gods, the Brown Ajah should have been all over that poo poo.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

You actually forgot the best one, Ruby Rhod?

UnbelievABLE!

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

Was she the one that rediscovered how to make cuendillar or was she just particularly good at it? She also figured out how to counter balefire.

One of the things I really loved was how, once she'd figured out how to do it, she taught a whole bunch of other channelers and had them make assembly-line cuendillar household objects for them to sell to people. It was such an incredibly practical thing and I thought it was great.

Also how she turns the entire south harbour of Tar Valon into one gigantic piece of cuendillar which Elaida's people have to try and figure out how to remove. And Elaida speculates that maybe they could get someone to buy it.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Somehow I missed it, what exactly were the contents of Elayne's letter to Aviendha that made Aviendha hate Rand so much, in her special fourth-grade way?

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Brolander posted:

honestly the women's POVs should describe the mens' packages, "a considerable bulge", etc

Doesn't Aviendha think that Rand has unusually good eyebrows, or something? I seem to recall reading that at some point.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

I'd have assumed it was a poop joke, because the badger needs to be coaxed out of its hole.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Why fuss over weapons when you could have Sea Folk porcelain?

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Avalerion posted:

Have they cast Min yet? Was talking to someone the other day about how they could make Rand's harem less "cringey wish fulfillment fantasy" and had the though that there's no reason why Min couldn't be a dude, right? :gay:

.....I'm willing to allow it.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

The book of bad art has the only decent picture of Lanfear I've ever seen, but there's just so much other ghastly art in there.

An Aiel could beat one of the Imperial Sardaukar because the Aiel are a thinly-veiled (hah!) ripoff of the Fremen.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

I loved the thing with the foxes and snakes, because they second they went through the first redstone doorway I immediately understood what was happening and where they had gone.

Elaida's Continuous Mistake was also intensely enjoyable.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Um excuse me what kind of tyrant could poor Bela be, exactly?

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

I'm honestly surprised that there was never some kind of anti-Darkfriend witch-hunt that happened.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

The Neal! posted:

To be fair they were so ineffective as a threat to the heroes after the first book I'm not surprised they got forgotten. Even in the 4th book the best the White Cloaks can do to Perrin is scowl at him.

Edit: I guess the hunt for the Black Ajah in the white tower was a bit of a literal witch hunt though, particularly since it ends in mass executions

I was thinking more as in a social phenomena similar to the European witch hysteria, unrelated to the useless Whitecloaks. I'm just shocked we never see some power-hungry town alderman or something accuse the richest merchant in town of being a Darkfriend, that kind of thing.

I think it's absolutely reasonable for the boys to mistrust Aes Sedai, considering the kind of stories they were raised on. Seeing what Aes Sedai are actually like I'd say mistrust is absolutely warranted, it'd be like hearing stories about Jedi all your life and when you finally see one he mind-rapes a dude and then lops a drunkard's arm off for the crime of being aggressively drunk.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

The Dragon's Fang is one of those really nice world building touches, I thought. It's a pity it fell by the wayside as the world got bigger.

It really drove home just how loathed male channelers were.

The best example of that for me is in uh TDR after Rand settles into the Stone of Tear and is holding court amid the Tairen nobility and channels in some fashion, and one of the high-born noblewomen is so horrified and frightened that she actually vomits. It's a very unsubtle but quite good reminder that these people have (justifiably) been conditioned to fear male channelers.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Moraine Damodred - Mordred.

Caemlyn - Camlann, the site of Arthur's final battle. It's just all over the drat place.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

I still love when Graendal? Semirhage? No it was Graendal, when she's writing a letter to someone and thinks about how primitive the writing of the Third Age is. They view the modern people as ignorant savages but those ignorant savages keep foiling their plans, sometimes by accident, and it's just amazing.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

To be fair, to meet Faile is to hate her.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Spek posted:

She'll die of old age halfway into her inauguration and the Aes Sedai will overreact picking the youngest Aes Sedai of standing they can find who is, of course, Elayne. Crippling the Aes Sedai for generations

I can't remember, did Elayne actually swear on the Oath Rod? Because if she didn't then they'd be dealing with the consequences of that for a long time.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Nonsense. Elaida is Trump, Alviarin is Mitch McConnell.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

th3t00t posted:

Or is Trump Gawyn? The "failest" of failsons. Just makes the worst decisions and then doubles down rather than take the chance to redeem himself.

I see the comparison because Elaida is also incredibly easily-manipulated by whoever she last spoke to as long as they tell her how special and important she is.

At one point she's planning on building a palace for the Amyrlin which will be higher than the White Tower, that's Trump activity right there.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

There are cities in the Blight, because of course there are cities in the Blight. They're populated with Shadowsworn, Dreadlords, captured slaves, but probably* not trollocs. With the existence of cities implies the existence of some level of farming that supports them, though it's anyone's guess as to how those work in the Blight. IIRC Graendal (or someone) visiting Moridin in one of his Blight strongholds saw farmers off in the distance.

Anyway yeah, there's too much going on in the Blight for there to not be a whole civilization and infrastructure to support them.

Maybe the Blight that everyone from the Borderlands sees is just a no man's land border of poison, death, and ruin, and the interior bits that nobody but the Shadow has access to are barely more habitable.

I would assume it's like Mordor (lol it IS Mordor) where the borders are an inhospitable hellhole but the interior is fertile. Mordor, after all, had vast farmlands in its interior, because those orc armies need to be fed somehow.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

He was probably the only one who had any goddamn clue about the power of narrative. You may as well bet against the little smiling bald monk who's getting pushed around by street gangsters in a martial arts movie.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Johnny Joestar posted:

i wonder if the show will be able to to at least somewhat convey that rand is basically a walking atomic bomb and everyone around him knows this and basically flinches every time he has a weird outburst

There's a scene in....gods, I forget which book, it's just after Rand takes possession of the Stone of Tear. There's this big thing in the throne room or audience chamber or whatever it is you have in the Stone, and Rand idly channels for some reason, and one of the noblewomen is so horrified that she up and vomits, right there, because there's a male channeler and as everyone knows, male channelers are insane and dangerous.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Barreft posted:

I think it was in ACOS after what Rand went through in LOC and he refused to see anyone for days, and Min at the end was like 'you need to take a bath'. It was such a human moment to tell Rand that at the time and bring it all back to reality after Rand massacred everyone as a god.

What the actual hell is going on with Rand's body in this drawing? He looks like a wadded-up heap of laundry.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Torrannor posted:

Apparently the Aes Sedai rings are all set with a stone matching their ajah color. Which makes me wonder how the wonder girls will pull off the "posing as Aes Sedai" trick, since accepted probably don't have a colored stone set in their ring.

I just read the relevant section in EoTW again, and Moiraine really does give her name, and wears her Great Serpent ring openly. It's just that at least Rand doesn't recognize her as an Aes Sedai by it.

I sort of felt like the ring was something that was recognizable to other Aes Sedai but may not necessarily be something normal people would look for or twig onto.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

jng2058 posted:

https://twitter.com/AlbrightWrites/status/1447367114822602755

Ah ha! Full lyrics AND a translation for Al'Naito! Finally!

Definitely about Siaun, and I'm really starting to think it may actually be diegetic! Cool!

I read this and assumed it was referencing how the herald announces Siuan's arrival that time: "She comes! She comes! The Watcher of the Seals, the Flame of Tar Valon, the Amyrlin Seat. Attend you all, for she comes!"

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Yo I was at the bookstore and I see that they're re-printed the Big Book of Bad Art.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

buffalo all day posted:

yeah there's some sort of connection formed by people who go through the doorway that lets the finns access their memories even after they leave the portal

ed: the FAQ on this is helpful albeit pre-ToM https://www.steelypips.org/wot-tgs/node/133.html

This link is great and reminded me that WoT is pretty much the only story aside from Pratchett's Lords and Ladies that comes close to showing what it's supposed to be like when you deal with faeries.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

It can be two things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

I'm happy to hear about what's going on with the whitecloak whackadoodles as long as they are extremely unhappy.