Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There are two alternate canonically valid interpretations of loial

I hope they do Loial as a muppet. Trollics and everything else can be CGI, but I need all ogiers to be muppets.

Im actually pretty excited for an abridged version of the WOT because there is a shitload of fat that can get cut out, looking at you Valan Luca.

Also, I really hope they flesh out the Black Tower more. I still feel like it was one of the biggest missed opportunities in the series, especially before the cleansing of Saidin.

I also wonder how they're gonna work in New Spring, they definitely can't do it first.

Oh, and they better loving give cameos to Micheal Kramer and Kate Reading

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Sep 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

It's also mentioned in whatever that first city is, but only internal monologue and I forget the tone.

Its funny how Baerlon feels like one of the biggest cities in the entire series because it was the first city they ever saw. Feels way bigger than Illian or any borderland city

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
If anything Jordan wrote too many words, not too few

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Guys, there is 0% chance they make the Children look like the drat KKK on tv. Come on.

It would certainly make Galad a shitload more problematic

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Democratic Pirate posted:

Have they announced casting for Galad, the most handsome man in all the land?

I think they're waiting on Amazon to finish its time machine so they can go steal Cary Elwes from the set of The Princess Bride

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Is there list of the entire Black Ajah anywhere? It would be nice to have around for the reread I just started

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

shirunei posted:

Been rereading the first book during my downtime at work. Is the altercation between the whitecloaks and Rand the first time he manifests the One Power? Tried looking for it earlier in the book but this seems like the very first instance.

I think canonically, its him using it to keep Bella fresh when they were fleeing from Aemon's Field

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Cut out the Sea Folk and nobody will mind :colbert:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

seaborgium posted:

I would think so too, but a couple of times it's mentioned that another character thinks she might just yank her whole braid out because she's so upset and doing it so hard. Anxiously smoothing out your clothes makes sense to me, but pulling your own hair that hard is just weird.

I always assumed it played into her block, since she could only channel when pissed off, so she subconsciously developed habits to keep her angrier

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
There are some issues, but I got used to it pretty quickly. It's worth reading

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

awesmoe posted:

Dyelin Should Be Queen

Rand should have mandated the Republic of Andor

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Turns out Faile was only kidnapped for like 3 days :v:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

That's going to be a fun B plot of an episode when Lan makes him behave like a Lord of the borderlands to screw with Moiraine and the Shienarans.

Assuming it doesn't get cut.

Yeah, that whole set of scenes is way funnier on a reread when you get whats going on

Its just Rand going "Why do I need to do this weirdass thing?" and Lan acting all mysterious

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Also, I originally went through the series on audiobook, so for like half of the first book I thought his name was Randall Thor

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

ChubbyChecker posted:

I've only read his WoT books, but I think that that is quite a big claim. I don't remember him inserting any new stuff in the series, just continuing Jordan's lesbian spanking fetish. I mean there are people like Bakker and GRRM in the genre.

I don't think Sanderson understands what sex is

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Lord Awkward posted:

quote:

Rodr'od

:lol:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Well those all look pretty loving great

I never bought the idea that they were cutting Thom, he is just too central a character

Edit: Hammed definitely has the voice for Loial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqmldoa94o0

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 4, 2019

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I kinda feel like that dude is poised to just chew on the scenery amazingly

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 5, 2019

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Yeah, the 2nd age world building is some of the best stuff in the series

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Pleads posted:

Moghedien is like the biggest example, I think they use 3 different pronunciations and often within the same book.

One thing I've noticed now that I'm into book 10 is that the accents of the various nations have developed heavily vs what they were in the first few volumes in the audiobooks. In the first handful, there's some speech pattern differences but the general accents are the same, and now it's like... Illianers are Scottish, and it's kind of weird. Taraboners have a weird accent like they're ESL students almost?

The Seanchan slur is consistent, at least.

Still very much love (and prefer?) the audiobooks though.

My favorite one is how wildly different Aludra's accent is in TGH compared literally every single book afterwards.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Atlas Hugged posted:

I demand the Texan accent because I am so loving sick of fantasy shows making everyone British.

:same:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
It's kinda fun to imagine Moraine's trip to Aemon's Field going into this podunk backwater, so forgotten that Andor hasn't even bothered sending tax collectors there in like 100 years. And not only is she there to find a legend out of myth, she finds 2 more taveren. And then she happens to find 2 girls who would both be among the most powerful channelers since the breaking.

Oh, and she also runs into the exiled court bard of Andor too, since things weren't hosed up enough already.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Tahirovic posted:

Wasn't the channeler thing explained by the ancient blood lines?
But some how the Tower wasn't smart enough to scourge those places.

They did in a later book and took like 20 girls to get trained

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

As an aside I did like that Elayne at one point thinks "well I guess Princess is technically correct but no one would ever use that form anymore"
Daughter-heir sounds better imo

If she had a younger sister, what would her title be?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I just realized

Gonna be a shitload of wheel of time memes aren't there

There already are

https://www.reddit.com/r/WetlanderHumor/

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Just show the Billy Zane prologue

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I wouldn't mind horribly if they made the prologue into one of his nightmares

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I like how Rand is so nuts even in TGH that he scares the poo poo out of goddamned Lanfear

I don't remember that part of TGH

Edit: Oh yeah, the sa'angreal

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Drone Jett posted:

The Wheel of Time, a series about free will and how history eternally repeats and nothing ever changes except the small details. Free will, the force that drives the pattern to make people agree with ta'veren and entire villages to spontaneously have mass weddings.

Freemium Will

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Soonmot posted:

welp, forgot about Elida raping that grey sister.

Wait, what? I don't remember that one at all

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I guess this is as good of a time as any to start on that reread

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Soonmot posted:

They are, but I wanted the Texan accent Jordan said they had

"I tell you hwat, that prince of the ravens ain't right"

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Still my favorite interview answer

quote:

Question
I was wondering, can you talk about how your lead character would have not one but three true loves, and how does your wife feel about that?

Robert Jordan
Um, when I was much younger, before I met Harriet, I had two girlfriends simultaneously, who arranged my dating schedule between them, who was going to date me on which night. They chipped in together to buy me birthday presents and Christmas presents. You know, they just sort of shared me between them, you know. And they had been friends before, and I am not quite sure whether or not they made the decision they were both going to date me or not, on their own, before they first met me, it just came about. But I figured if I could manage two, surely Rand could manage three. Besides there are mythological reasons to have these three women involved with him.

https://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=204

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

They do need to play up the Forsaken a bit though--in the books you get more views of them as bumbling squabbling malcontent incompetents, but to normal people they're still terrifying as gently caress. The scenes of like, the Black Ajah or Darkfriends groveling in front of some of them aside, Morgase's arc kicking off in book 5 is loving like, unreal.

I'd like to see more of that, though not, that, specifically.

Yeah, there first 3 books basically introduce multiple foresaken like 10 pages before they get murdered by Rand

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Not exactly. She really, REALLY wanted him to bang her and he didn't, which I still consider to be Rand's strongest act of will in the whole series.

Yeah, but she ran away during the trip to Cairhein. She could have stuck around and kept working on his crazy rear end

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Invalid Validation posted:

Lanfear: I will pretend to be an unimaginably attractive lost woman in another dimension that has nothing except monsters roaming around, he’ll never suspect a thing.

Rand: Nothin weird about this woman, she must be lost, gotta save her!

I love how no one ever points out how loving dumb and horny Rand must have been to not question it at the time.

Like, or did that all happen off-screen between books 2-3 and thats why Rand was so loving moody?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Invalid Validation posted:

Remember borderlanders are the only ones who have fought Trollocs in centuries. Most people don’t think they’re real.

Also I just got to the Sharan section in AMoL and what the Christ? Why introduce a completely new culture in the last book?

They're obliquely mentioned a bunch of times, but it's in passing almost every time. RJ/Sanderson had plans to flush out the storyline a little bit more, but figured things were bloated enough and it ruined the surprise.

It works very well on a reread when you're actively looking for them

Edit: wow, I was behind a while

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Johnny Joestar posted:

if it helps, it really starts kicking in once you get to the second book. the first is a little too...eh, compared to the rest.

I will always defend the stuff on the road to Camelyn, it was just so suspenseful the first time I read it

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Johnny Joestar posted:

i just wish i knew if the first episode was going to include the prologue or not. i feel like that's gonna make or break it. that poo poo in itself would hook so many viewers.

They should just air this as an episode 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUQE0-G_GeU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Zore posted:

I mean its also worth remembering that Moiraine was basically dead on her feet at that point as she'd been doing demanding non-stop channeling for like 12 hours while they were riding. Lan and Nynaeve were mostly concerned with making sure she would get some sleep and not die on them too.

Like the Dragon is important theoretically, but Moiraine was in serious danger of dying or burning herself out and if she died then they all probably would have. I don't really blame her for Shadar Logoth.

Yeah, its kinda sad we never got a good late book flash back to that incident. Compared to everything in the later books, that incident seems like a tiny skirmish, but it must have been the one of the toughest fight of her life at that point. But she didn't have a POV scene until the very end of that book, so we never heard her inner monologue to reflect on it.