Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
Echoing others, I think my biggest problem is starting off with Moiraine chasing rumors of ta'veren in the Two Rivers. I think they missed a great opportunity in not having Moiraine and Lan start as mysterious strangers. Did the books ever address what brought Moiraine to Emond's Field? I'm blanking on it. Maybe in New Spring?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
I'm also missing the hints that you only catch later or on a reread, like Rand getting sick after the confrontation with Valda in Baerlon. The closest thing I've noticed in that vein is the close up on Tam's heronmark.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
Valda was very cavalier about blood on his hands with that uniform. Bloodstains aren't easy to remove.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
A petty complaint: the Tinkers didn't seem garish enough. They would have fit in at most of the music festivals I've been to. But I always pictured them dressed like clowns with circus wagons, which might go too far the other direction.

MajorBonnet fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 20, 2021

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
Fingers crossed for Darrell K. Sweet cover t-shirts.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Nitrousoxide posted:

I want to see the part where Nynaeve laments how violent men are and then boxes someone's ears.

They're required by law to have Nyneave shout, "I'm not shouting." at some point.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
I kind of just want to download the first episode and remove the lines about the Dragon Reborn could be anyone and rumors of ta'veren and see how much better it feels.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

shadow puppet of a posted:

Give Jordan credit for where he was a literary pioneer: The sniffed-retort. The tugged braid. The smoothed skirt. Nobody has done justice to those plot elements since his passing.

Somebody wants his ears boxed.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
I just watched episode 4 and loved it. I haven't read every post upthread, but one detail I noticed and didn't see mentioned was Logain not using his hands to channel. Looking forward to the Wise Ones scoffing at the Aes Sedai for their dancing.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
I wonder if we'll get his night in Tar Valon where his luck really takes off in the books.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Hexel posted:

What do we think is going on here?

I'm catching up on the thread, but all I can think is, "You there, boy, what day is it?"

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
I'm probably in the minority in being satisfied with Fain's ending in the books. I always took it more as a sign that the pattern was accounting for the Dark One and with Rand planning to kill the current one, it had another on standby.

If they play up that angle in the show, that the Dark One is a literally necessary evil, I think it would work well as is.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

ad090 posted:

Ya'll think they will switch actors when Siuan and Leane (if she's in the show) get stilled, or will they drop that entire plotline.

They'll force the actors to get plastic surgery, obv.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
Thinking about Fain, I think the show could make him more interesting by turning him ta'veren as well. While the joke is that it means protagonist, lorewise, it's someone the pattern is swirling around. If he's the candidate for replacement big evil guy, I'd say he fits. If you establish a subtle visual cue for ta'veren shaping the pattern, you can play off that to show that the pattern throws him away when Rand leaves Shai'tan alive, which the book shows by having him die like it's nothing.

MajorBonnet fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 4, 2021

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

My guess: they combine Min and Hurin, then Selene shows up and gets in Min's way

Is this a lead in to the Always Sunny bit? Smells crime, full penetration, smells crime, etc. etc. until the story just kind of ends.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
I also think the Jordan bits probably weren't as edited as they would have been if Jordan had finished the series.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Plus otherwise you miss out on the scene where she realises a man she'd seen as a joke is actually terrifying as gently caress in his own regard

"A lion stuffed into a horse stall might look like a peculiar joke, but a lion on the high plains was something very different."

I can't believe how many little details have stuck with me from this series.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
I definitely think that Moiraine is just shielded, similar to the fate of book Liandrin.

I thought it was interesting that Moiraine told Rand she wouldn't teach him to channel because of the madness and not because it would be like a bird teaching a fish to swim or whatever.

Overall, I'm of a mixed opinion on the show so far. My main gripe is that the show is trying to cram a lot in and to me it feels almost more like a series of vignettes than a cohesive whole because it doesn't have time to do the world building.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
The mustache and nose are giving me Davram Bashere.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
I'm hoping they reconsider the 8 episode seasons at some point. I feel like it's going to end up less well received because they have to cut out more than just fat.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

seaborgium posted:

Honestly they need to cast Billy Zane as one of the Forsaken. He'd work great as Asmodean or Demandred.

He should be Balthamel and then Aran'gar is him in drag.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

thekeeshman posted:

-I've never read any of Sanderson's other stuff but I thought he did a good job wrapping things up, and it was refreshing to start the books he wrote and have things actually happen. Someone a few posts ago was talking about Aviendha's flash forward sequence in the pillars at Rhuidean and that bit really stuck with me as a great piece of writing. I think I'll check out some of his stuff, would appreciate any recs on where to start.

I wish we had a better idea what was RJ and what was Sanderson in the last books. I've long thought that some of the more disliked passages were actually by RJ and he just hadn't had time to refine it, but they were left mostly as is since it was his.

Androl, though, was obviously a Sanderson creation.

Personally, I always come back to the series because while there are definite lows, the highs are just so high. Nyneave talking to the Malkieri merchant still brings up emotion after many years since I first read it. Not to mention Veins of Gold, both Rhuidean sequences, Mat kicking the gholam through the gate, Talmanes killing the Myrdraal (even though they cheapened it with plot armor)...

I'm almost ready for another re-read.

MajorBonnet fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 15, 2023

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

Towers of Midnight
- Mat was mostly Jordan. The entire Tower of Ghenjei sequence had been written by Jordan, including the proposal at the end.

Mat was a big one I had in mind. I remember a lot of criticism of Sanderson's writing of Mat, but I thought it was more in line with Jordan's writing, just not up to snuff.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
I think that could easily be edited to fit better with the Mat we know. Leave most of it on the cutting room floor and just have him introduce the others with fake names and maybe a one line blurb that would put them in an uncomfortable role.

I don't know why, but it just strikes me as a rough draft that needed more editing and not something Sanderson would write (although I do think humor is one of Sanderson's weaknesses, so maybe he did come up with it).

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
In a case of life imitating art, he now needs to beat up Donald Trump Jr to become leader of the Children of the Right and begin a slow movement toward reform.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

ChubbyChecker posted:

balefire was made for tv shows! they should have extra balefire

Bezos: WOULD YOU UNLEASH THE BALEFIRE IN MY SERVICE?

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

thrawn527 posted:

Honestly, my biggest hope for the show is they keep the Demandred reveal exactly as it was. It was my biggest, "Holy poo poo" moment of the entire series. Just boom, Shara out of loving nowhere, shifting the entire balance of power in the Last Battle.

It probably won't happen, because they'd have to hint at something in an early season that doesn't get paid off until the final one, and that's easier to do in a book than a show. Like, you have to at least set up Demandred a tiny bit for the pay off to work. What do you do, hire an actor for Demandred and then say, "Great, see you in several years for your actual role!" But a person can dream.

Maybe put him in a hood or something for the earlier scene. I just don't know if it would have the same impact.

I'm hoping they keep Demandred to some cameos at the Are You Afraid of the Dark One Forsaken campfires and maybe some post credit scenes in the last season or so that hint at him being in Shara.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

bio347 posted:

TBH if you see something in WoT that might be a reference or allusion, it probably is. Jordan loved that poo poo, and he very obviously delighted in mixing, matching, and just generally messing with it.

I mean. Dude named his main character "al'Thor" and then had a different dude be the burly one with a (magic) hammer.

Does Rand have any Norse connections besides the name? Mat has a lot of Odin.

Edit: Looked it up, Tyr for losing the hand at least, but also some Thor.

MajorBonnet fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Aug 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Shageletic posted:

But he's young hot thom

Robbing us of old hot thom