Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh good, a dedicated thread I can annoy with my snide wisecracks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

She should braid the braids together into one giant super braid

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mad Hamish posted:

I hope there are like five times as many weird little gatherings of the Forsaken in the TV show, I loved those meetings.

Yeah, like the first one in the first book, I was chortling to myself that it sounded like he was describing the Forsaken guys approaching each other on different staircases in one of those Escher drawings.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

RC Cola posted:

Faile will 100% be in the show.

After all, there aren’t enough women in the story

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Kind of the way Azula showed up a season early in a throwaway shot in I think S1 of ATLA.

I was like “who is that and why is she grinning that way”

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Now that’s one helluva username/post combo

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Just off the top of my head:

Galad is bishounen

Avienda is tsundere

Tar Valon is a school for magical girls

Rand has three girlfriends, color-coded: one blonde, one redhead, and one brunette

The series took twenty-three years to finish

that's just off the top of my head

There is literally a thing in it called Sean-chan

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

You can skip a lot of Book 1 once you realize he keeps copy-pasting the wagon drivers who give them scarves saying "They belong to my boys. You don’t know me, understand? It’s hard times”

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I think he was trying some sort of complex narration style there that didn't work. It's always the same dude giving them the scarves, you're just flashing forward and backward in time before and up to the the Scarf Moment.

Cause I mean the drivers have different names, their circumstances/geographical locations are described in detail... I don't know.

I mean it's not like that thing in Book 2 where he gets stuck in that literally copy-pasted hallucination loop with the kitchen and rotting food

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Huh. On review it appears you're right. That's weird as hell though.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

bloom posted:

I reread the series a couple of years ago and skipped Nynaeve/Elayne chapters that didn't feature Mat, all Egwene chapters after she got to the rebel Aes Sedai and all of the Faile hunt.

Sure there's a few important things that happen in there but it's just unbearable to read for a second time.

The boob ceremony

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

She was actually more involved with the earlier books I believe. I think she had some health issues going on during Bloat Season.

Didn’t I hear that one big reason why it bloated around then was that he was trying to keep an income stream going to support her treatment?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

They gotta be "ageless" though

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm sorry, I just cracked up at the zoom-in and realizing that we know it's a WoT shoot because of all the women in long sequined ball gowns that you can only describe in six-page asides in the middle of a conversation

Also I think the trolloc in the middle is an animatronic or a camera dolly

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I only have one burning question about the TV show: how many mustaches will they attach to Thom's face

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The Lord Bude posted:

Patrick Stewart’s gonna be busy for a while I think.

Why, what's he up to?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The Lord Bude posted:

Have you been living under a rock? Ol' Picard is coming out of retirement. With 100% more dog; as has been mentioned. 1st episode of Star Trek: Picard is on January 23.

I apparently have been. That's what I get for not having paid attention to Star Trek in like half a decade I guess.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mahoning posted:

So I have had Eye of the World sitting on my book shelf for the better part of a decade. I think maybe my mom bought it for me for Christmas one year because she knew how much I loved Lord of the Rings. I tried reading it once and couldn't even get through the first chapter for whatever reason. But the prologue always kinda stayed with me and I always wanted to pick it up and try reading it again. So I finally did the other night and I'm about 100+ pages in and definitely enjoying it so far.

The only thing that's driving me nuts so far is the names. Nynaeve, Egwene, Aes Sedai....not sure why but they're all really frustrating me.

Anyways, I've tried not to read too much of the thread for fear of spoilers but any tips or advice you have for me would be nice.

Roughly similar story here, and I'm here to tell you the names don't really get better. My advice is to make a game out of it: count how many "M-R-N" names you run into over the course of the series. Write them down because you WILL lose count.

But the names (the important ones anyway) do usually have an antecedent in some mythos or other, like the Arthurian ones in Caemlyn, and of the main party/secondaries. They can be fun to try to tease out the origins of.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Brolander posted:

Laughing imagining an enormously long animated Wheel of Time series in lovely south park style

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sab669 posted:

There's a ton of fat you can trim. I think if people are expecting everything from the books to be in the show, you're going to be sorely disappointed. There's a bunch of arcs/characters who just ultimately go nowhere and don't need to be included.

I wouldn't be surprised if Fain just doesn't make it to the show at all, honestly

Same goes for that fog that turns people inside out

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Gateways should be interesting.

e: Especially the Sanderson ones where you're like dropping sugarcubes into someone else's tea or making a Google Earth map view and stuff

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Invalid Validation posted:

I wonder why he used it so much. You’d think an editor would be like, Hey only one or two braid pulls a book please.

I figured he was trying to do a rosy-fingered Dawn sort of thing, like crossing your arms beneath your breasts.

Though that doesn't quite explain why in book 5 everyone suddenly becomes obsessed with drinking punch. He mentions punch like every 3 pages

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Since the whole premise is MEN RAPED THE WORLD, SO HERE IS WHAT THE WORLD LOOKS LIKE IF FEMINISM AND ITS NARRATIVE GETS ITS WAY, I would think they would have to make some fairly fundamental changes in order to make it palatable in 2019.

Like it would be nice if the overall theme were not "it's unfair to tar #allmen for the crimes of one guy, let's let Big Strong Omnipotent Instantly Knows Everything About War And Swordfighting And Naval Tactics And International Politics And Is Also Internally Mentally Tormented Man just do what he knows innately is right and redeem the male gender"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It could well be my own shallow surface reading of the series, but I'm just saying that I can't be the only one, can I?

The way the whole Cadsuane thing comes off over the course of multiple books, to a person who wants to read it that way, is "shrill harpy trying to rein in the Big Strong Omipotent Man and in the end he proves himself right and her wrong". And him losing Moiraine can equally easily be read as "finally he got rid of that meddling know-it-all and can do what he knows is best".

Rand succeeding at the end might be the Rand coming down from the mountaintop wreathed in beatific glory and hugging his father kind of redemption story, but it can also be the Rand as Steve Jobs whirlwinding a pavilion into being in the middle of a battlefield so he can show everyone how awesome he is and how Egwene doesn't know what she's talking about story. For all the "Dark One showing him alternate futures of Twilight Zone humanity and Rand deciding that the ultimate solution is not to destroy him but to sweep him under a bigger rug like Smiling Joe Fission" meditations, it felt to me like the whole climactic battle was still more Rand being dragged along against his will to implement a half-solution that everyone could be happy with but which would ultimately prove just as impermanent as the last time, and less "you see what happens when we all work together?"

Full disclosure, I read WoT less for my own interest than as a project to understand a friend of mine who is obsessed with it and will not stop talking about it under any circumstances and is planning to get dragon tattoos on his arms and everything. What I'm curious about is how many people in the audience, like him, are missing any possible readings that do not involve Rand as the infallible messianic figure who is proven right by every happenstance.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Honestly I'm not trying to be that guy from the meme comic who jumps into a crowd and lobs a rhetorical grenade and scampers off cackling. This is an interesting conversation that I think is kinda important, if only for selfish purposes. Feel free to dismiss it, I wouldn't blame you.

I just know that in some conversations I've had, if I were to throw out statements like "Rand is legit insane" or "Rand has to be shown the error of his ways before he can do anything right" or "The world is saved as much in spite of Rand as because of him" I would be subjected to an angry testosterone-drenched tirade. And while my readthrough of the series was pretty tongue-in-cheek, I found it pretty intrusive how that Infallible Messianic Rand reading kept overpowering the "you know, maybe there's a cautionary tale here idk" reading. So again, it's not about my interpretation, it's about everybody else, i.e. who the show is potentially aimed at.

If everybody is smart enough to get the nuanced take, well great, I guess I won't worry. :haw:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Odd jokes are entirely in line with what I'm hoping for :v:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

^^ It also just feels like right now is a particularly touchy time to bring out a show based on a property that is so intrinsically wrapped up in "men are like this, women are like this" 90s standup routine material.

I wonder if the show can finesse it somehow.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Weren’t the Cairhienins or someone described as having their heads shaved and topknotted like medieval Japanese lords?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Nope. Instead, Merlin is the Pope

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Amyrlin?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

loving lost it at those faces

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh my god it's driving me crazy, I had all this snarky fanart I did during my read, and one of them was Nynaeve tugging her braid and making a face like that, only it was copied from this face

And also she wasn't tugging the braid down over her shoulder like that, she was pulling it sideways like she was trying to tear her scalp off by the roots

I can't find it because I seem to have lost all those drawings in a laptop re-image gently caress

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mad Hamish posted:

This is sublime and I can't stop laughing.

I couldn't make anything out in the thumbnail so I expanded it and zoomed in, so I had each figure basically filling the screen, and started at the far left and slowly scrolled right.

Perrin... Rand ... Mat ... okay, Thom ... Lan... uhhh whoa WHOA BAHAHHAHAHA

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lol if the series makes up more characters

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Was that the scarves thing?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mahoning posted:

Yes! In the hay cart?! Wtf was that about.

Idk but you and I are apparently the only ones who thought it was stupid.

Just you wait till a thing in book 2, you'll know it when you see it

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Atlas Hugged posted:

There's also nothing else in the book, and maybe even the series, that operates that way. I was expecting it this reread and how he transitions from "this is where we are right now" to "now we're in the past" is at best vague and is sloppily handled so that first time readers could easily think the story is progressing forward when it's actually gone back a few days.

The thing is, it's not like it's some crazy avant-garde narrative trick to do a skip-forward followed by a recap of what went on in the past few days. It's super common, and not just in movies with wacky nonlinear plots. People write like that all the time. It's a great way to break up the monotony of an otherwise repetitive or tedious narration. "'Oh! I feel like we've been walking for days!' She cried. It was true—they had been walking for days, trudging through the valleys and canyons and —" dot dot dot. Nothing challenging about that.

The way the scarves thing is worded, though, is crazy misleading. The first iteration makes you think the encounter had happened in the past (going by verb tenses), and it never really puts you back on the right track with any clarifying language—seemingly intentionally, because a) it's totally easy to make that kind of narration clearer if you actually want to do so, and b) the story is deliberately trudging down a long endless road from village to village, farmer's cottage to farmer's cottage, over and over again, seemingly to try to bewilder the reader and make you unsure of your footing in time.

A long time ago when I was writing comics I had the idea of trying to do dialogue that sounds actually natural—like seriously true to the way people talk in real life. Because nobody actually talks the way they do in print, no matter how "realistic" the dialogue is. Even the most verité style of scripted speech avoids all the stuttering, "um", "uh", stumbling over words, restarting sentences in the middle, all the kinds of meandering fitful babbling we do in real life. My thought was that if I tried to capture that kind of real realism, it would be a breakthrough of style, something really unique. But over time I eventually realized that writers do massage even their realest dialogue to be a lot more structured and economical than real-world verbal speech, and for good reason: it's unbearable to read it otherwise. Just absolute poo poo. Nobody wants to read a comic full of "um" and "uh" and sentence fragments and wrong word choice and all the dumb things we do when we're actually talking.

(The difference between a raw transcript of even a politician's stump speech or interview—even a rehearsed one—and the cleaned-up-for-reprint version is a very vivid illustration of this. If it weren't worthwhile to clean it up, they wouldn't bother; but they have to otherwise it'd be agony to try to parse out in print, even for a politician who talks well.)

Anyway that's kind of what I feel like Jordan was trying to do. He wanted a degree of narrative "realism" that conveyed the monotony and repetitiveness of the journey through atmosphere as much as through direct description, and that atmosphere included this odd disorienting narrative structure, which he could have easily avoided if he'd wanted to. Now, personally I feel like maybe a better choice might have been not to have the journey be so monotonous and repetitive to begin with, but that's his worldbuilding choice; I'll grant that the daily tedium of a long journey on foot while sick is something you're going to have to portray if you want your world to feel lived-in and expansive and well-populated, like a real-world place full of dull politics and daily chores and not all dragon battles and palace feasts day in day out. That's a totally valid choice. But even so—it's possible to do that kind of worldbuilding and be engaging about it and yet not deliberately gently caress with the reader's sanity. You can describe encounter 1 of N one way, then back off the description of each subsequent one as you go on, and eventually skip whole days of travel and maybe tell a side story or do something else to serve a narrative beat while still preserving the sense that they're in a long tedious slog. But by the time I got to the third book and the party had entered its fortieth inn which was described to the same nauseating level of detail, from the name hanging over the door to the layout of the tables to the invariably "bustling" innkeeper drying his hands on his apron, it was pretty clear to me that that's not how Jordan rolls. The repetitiveness and the tedium are kind of his thing.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It really is amazing on this reread how much of books like seven through ten is just outright skippable. If the series gets that far they could do all four books in half a season.

Prior to starting each book on my first read, I looked at the blurb on the ebook and it was a paragraph of "So-and-so draws ever closer to the ultimate confrontation at the Last Battle".

I kept thinking, no, surely they're just being coy, there's no way you could really summarize each of these huge books as "each thread of characters moves gradually from one place to another". But, welp.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I remember it being winter (or at least cold enough for scarves loll) when they start out, then it's super hot during I think books 4-5 (everyone keeps talking about how unnaturally hot and long the summer is), and then in books 8-10 it's a heinously cold winter and everyone's trudging through snow. There must be at least one more seasonal cycle in there that I'm forgetting about though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Wanna see that doom wad throne room from the Ba'alzamon dream scenes in book 1

All skulls and monster faces and NIN logos