Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
It's certainly easy to just end the black company before it gets to the bad ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I'd be 100% okay with all non-humans in the show being done by the Henson company.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
If we're going to get into "The First Age" business... Jesus of Nazareth is the Dragon Reborn, right?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

silvergoose posted:

Also I'm getting weirdly irritated by people misspelling Gawyn's name unless you're doing it on purpose to annoy me, in which case carry on :honk:

I always just think of him as Gavin.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Honestly I'd just have Lews on-screen for when he's talking. It gives you more options for performance and lets you do the classic "cut to a bystander's perspective where he's shouting at nothing" trick.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Weren't half of them LARPers as well?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
This strongly increases the odds this adaptation will make Bela the dragon reborn.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Every bit of old tongue is generally a pun. It helps to check the pronunciations in the appendix.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I think the proportion of channelers with or without the spark changes over time? When there are few sparks, people assume there are less chanellers unless they deliberately go out of their way to dig them up.

There are also periods where basically no one is born with the spark, and magic becomes a myth.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Here's a quote from RJ's notes:

quote:

b) Demandred: Hated/feared/despised Lews Therin. Like Lanfear, he plays for larger stakes than most of the others, who are trying to stake out wordly kingdoms. HE WILL SHOW UP CLAIMING TO BE MAZRIM TAIM. TAKING ADVANTAGE OF RAND'S AMNESTY.

It's pretty cut and dry.

He also killed Asmodean, which is the reason Jordan refused to ever name the culprit. He just picked a fan theory and ran with that.

quote:

She does not know that Asmodean was a prisoner of Rand, nor, of course, that he was killed by Demandred.

mossyfisk fucked around with this message at 11:34 on May 26, 2020

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Did everyone in this thread recently watch a terrible youtube video about medieval 'facts' or something?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
All the food rots because Rand is losing the plot and the land reflects him. Then all the food turns out to be fine after Veins of Gold? I don't really remember that well.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
That joke is great, just for the record.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Do you think Lanfear was constantly going around in awful disguises back before the war as well?

Oh god I bet Lews Therin fell for all of them.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Bugshit insane and a borderline idiot savant with channeling. Seriously like half of his channeling is "I don't really know how I did it it just kinda worked"

"Oh no fish and loaves just keep coming out how do I stop this"

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Honestly it's no wonder the Aiel are so dangerous if no one in the wetlands is taught how to fight a spear.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
About Mat's luck, I think it's meant to be something won or traded from the Dark One (turning of the wheel etc etc). "The Dark One's Luck" comes up more than once, and it's thematically tied to other 'deal with the devil' stuff Mat does like the dagger and the aelfin.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I think I read a Jordan Q&A once where he says it's pretty literal in Mat's case, but I'm not certain.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Are there Trolloc farmers? I swear there's a passage where Blight trollocs are carrying bread rations.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
They should cast the same actor for Mazrim Taim and Demandred and just never comment on it.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I could have sworn there's a scene where Rand (or Mat?) overhears Thom talking to himself which makes it clear he doesn't know who Moiraine is beyond "an Aes Sedai", but I can't remember when.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Why do Black Ajah put up with their oaths, anyway? It seems easy to sneak in to use the Oath Rod and they all know how it works.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I wonder how many people have the "seeing ta'veren" Talent and just don't know about it. Must be extremely disconcerting when you see someone walk past with a halo.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
TWoT is clearly supposed to be a stage production.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
There's not actually any such thing as "blademaster level", it's just a special club for sword murder.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I don't want to see any weaves. There's a reason Jordan avoided describing them in detail - just show us the magic.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

silvergoose posted:

I've never understood that, because...people have similar names. People have the same name too sometimes!

It's fiction. You can just choose names that aren't easily confused without any downside.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Let me run all my names through a computer algorithm that makes sure each combination of syllables is suitably unique

That's an intelligent way to go about writing

Or you could just use your own brain to achieve this, like 99% of writing does?

It's fairly obvious RJ deliberately chose for a lot of names to be similar.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Gawyn doesn't do dumb shithead things for no reason, he does them because of toxic masculinity. That's the whole point of his arc.

If you removed that you might as well remove the entire character and only give Elayne one brother.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
The easiest way to finish the whole series would be to follow Moiraine, and just skip ~8 books.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Barreft posted:

Didn't they use the redstone doorways and ghenji to get to Finnland in the AOL? I wonder if Lews ever went in and got the dragon banner and was hung. Cool to think about, miss RJ.

"My two wishes are an inspiring symbol with which to lead, and also a massive hog - thanks in advance"

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I don't see how Egwene's character is improved by making her blessed by fate instead of achieving things through her own effort.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
People have free will to submit themselves to the Creator, through divine grace from the Dragon's sacrifice - which is conveyed to them through the Pattern. This surrender is one of the major themes of the work.

Unsurprisingly, Robert Jordan does not present a complete and perfect answer to the theological concept of predestination.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
They were lost behind the lines after a Forsaken advance, presumably they were recovered during the Breaking before the Aiel got sent off on their quest.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Galad is capable of introspection, while Gawyn due to his cultural neuroses just... isn't. He can't admit he's been wrong without sacrificing his fragile and self-centered masculinity, and his whole identity has been built on it since he was sworn to a childhood death oath and told it was his sole purpose in life.

Both men are violent, dangerous, and unmoored after having their worldview changed - but their responses are flawed in interestingly different ways. Gawyn looks for a scapegoat for vengeance so he doesn't have to change no matter who else gets hurt, while Galad considers his new outlook on the world and decisively commits to make the world more just... by joining an extremist paramilitary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Personally I'm of the opinion that Rand isn't hit by the Madness until he uses the Choedan Kal vs Asmodean in TSR, and it's 'just' normal psychic trauma before that. It's all quite ambiguous though.