Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rarity posted:

Berelain/Galad ftw

Why did I think that was going to be Mat/Tylin Mitsobar until I clicked on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Rarity posted:

Just wait till the show gets to the Sea Folk :heysexy:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I don't think we ever see a woman in the series who isn't described as hot to at least some degree

Well, Keille Shaogi.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Even Keille is kinda weird-hot

A lot of fat people are described as moving with strange lightness. And of course, Keille is Lanfear disguised, so she isn't really fat.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Hexel posted:

Rafe has said before theres a lot of things that are fine in print but look like poo poo on the screen.

Like a 2 paragraph explanation of a warder bond when you could just have Lan beat his chest and let out a cry. I'm assuming the Aiel veil is similiar. Personally IDGAF :toot:

The warder bond is one thing, but Aiel covering their faces to kill is a big part of who and what they are.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Jaxyon posted:

Yeah like, the veils were 100% going to get changed.

Nobody is doing a non-lead part in a goofy genre fantasy series and not having their face be shown to get future work.

The veils are only worn during fight scenes. All the acting would be done with face uncovered. I suppose the main reason is so the audience knows who is fighting, but that is kinda the point of the veils in the first place.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Eye colour aside, that's pretty well spot-on to the Aiel colouring.

Pity that Tigraine isn't Aiel, then, isn't it?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Jaxyon posted:

Same studio that doesn't have any queer characters at all and didn't make a Black Widow solo movie until they had literally killed her character off.

There's some fairly strong supporting evidence to that being entirely Ike Perlmutter's doing.

And Marvel does have queer characters, as of the last couple of weeks anyway.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Cryte Lynn posted:

I have a buddy that named his kid Elyas after reading Eye of the World, thinking he would be a more major character.

I know an Elias through these very forums. The Y-spelling is uniquely WOT, though.

And hey, it's going to blow your mind when you learn that not only is Nynaeve derived from the Irish name "Niamh", "nigh" means "to clean" and "niamh" means "bright" or "radiant". It's not real Irish grammar of course, but her name crudely translates to "clean it till it shines". In other words, we're told from the off that she's going to cleanse the Taint.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Rarity posted:

All this debate about trans issues is really weird to me cause I'm a trans person and I really don't need them gently caress around with the concept just for me. RJ created the series at a time when people like me were barely in the public consciousness and like that's ok. It's a limitation of the source material cause of the time it was made and that's fine. I'd like them to tweak Aran'gar a bit to make her fit the current climate and Min being an enby would be super cool but they don't need to do more if it causes problems with the story.

The genderflip when Balthamel is respun is one step away from being a prison rape joke anyway - the DO does it deliberately because Balthamel got himself killed by leching. I'm fine to see it go.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Zore posted:

You know I wonder if the 3rd age is exceptionally short in the grand scheme of things compared to the other ages. We know the 2nd age lasted long enough to become a sci-magic utopia where people had forgotten what war was and were doing some insane interdimensional and interplanetary travel. The 1st age is uh the modern world which already has a 10 thousand year history and will eventually be ended by Tamyrlin discovering how to channel.

The 3rd age in comparison lasted about 3.5 thousand years and still has a lot of memory of the previous age by the end which was absolutely not the case in the 1st or 2nd.

What makes you think that the First Age has lasted the entire of recorded history? Almost everything earlier than 1000 BCE is a bit sketchy, and pre-4000 BCE is definitely mythological at this point.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Invalid Validation posted:

They really need 3D glasses for that.

I've seen adverts on that screen in person. You honestly don't.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

It's inevitable, but you'd think that at least some of them would realize WoT predates GoT and was an influence on it.

WOT may have had influence on GOT as books, but GOT can still influence how WOT is made into a TV show.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Atlas Hugged posted:

They don't Channel consciously, and in fact many if not all of them have blocks that prevent them from Channeling most of the time. It's possible that longevity is due directly to regular exposure to the Power. If they're not using it as frequently as an Aes Sedai, then maybe they live long lives, but not outstandingly long lives.

That would be a sound theory if not for the Kin. They channel as little as possible, but the oldest member is 600 years old. She's also pretty strong, which along with Sorilea (200+, barely channels) and Cadsuane (305 but bound) tracks with longevity being a function of strength, not usage.

By that standard, though, Wisdoms would still not live as long as their potential might suggest because without training they'd never reach their full strength.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Nov 18, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Torrannor posted:

Why not? Is that in any way worse than some of the gross stuff in GoT? Especially considering that all the main cast are absolutely horrified at the concept? Just have the Seanchan capture a male channeler and use him for a bit, before putting him down with the explanation of "because of the taint, they can at most be used safely for a few months before becoming useless and a danger to everything around them".

Or just kill him, for the exact same reason and because a'dam specifically don't work on men. Don't forget that the Sad Bracelets are a plot point later on.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

seaborgium posted:

The a'dam don't just not work on men, they kill the guy who puts it on. Tuon talks about the Empress using it as a game with her court from time to time, to see which of her nobles can be collared and the dudes occasionally die.

Slightly different to that: she gets men to put on an a'dam bracelet as a game of Seanchan roulette, as sometimes both the man and the damane die. Only the Empress does it because only she can afford to waste damane. And while it's never actually stated outright, it's strongly implied that the men who do die are the men who could be trained to channel.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

Someone in the other thread noticed that when he axed her, she had her hammer raised facing him.

That, and the weird tension the two of them had earlier makes me believe the Laila Darkfriend theory, and that some part of Perrin instinctively was defending himself from her even if he didn't consciously know what he was doing.

In that screenshot she's quite clearly looking at the ground, not at Perrin. You look at the thing you're going to hit, and that's the Trolloc.

I think Leila is going to be used as a reason why Perrin is standoffish towards Faile at first, in lieu of making Faile the biggest bitch in the whole wide world. It's just not an amazing way to do it, and a result of them trying to cram 14 books into 64 episodes. For example, it would have been better if Leila insisted on accompanying them and then turned out to be the Darkfriend in ep 3. Bam - the same "anyone can be a DF" message for the non-readers, and Leila put on screen for a reason other than to be a portable angst generator.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Mmmm.... I don't think they were outright at war but it did seem like they'd waste one if they thought they could get away with it.

In the books a Whitecloak - possibly Valda, but I forget - is thinking about the one time they got to judge an Amyrlin Seat and muses that it had to be a Cadaver Synod because live witches are difficult to hang. Basically, they have no chance of taking down an Aes Sedai by main force and they know it. Most of what they do is encourage people to not like the Tar Valon witches and to call anyone who disagrees with them a Darkfriend. It was interesting to see Bornhald direct Moiraine to visit a sister for healing from the Trolloc poison; it implies that in the series, the chief motivation of the Whitecloaks is a handing down of Hawkwing's distrust of the One Power and hatred of those who wield it rather than a belief that all users of the Power are servants of the Dark One.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

CainFortea posted:

It almost feels like they were like "Hey, we can do this because we're so clearly not doing it for the normal reason" and thought it'd get a pass.

It gets slightly more of a pass from me because at least now the big, strong guy with the cool powers and a really big connection to Norse mythology isn't a literal lone wolf who doesn't know how to talk to women. But only slightly more.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

CainFortea posted:

It's called out specifically that the Two Rivers haven't seen a tax collector in like a 100 years.

The only taxes they've been paying is to the council.

like, they've *heard* of Caemlyn, and read about it in books. But that's as far as it goes.

Not just that; Moiraine says that there's hardly a nation in Randland that actually holds the land it claims on a map. Andor is just exceptional in having lost all but nominal claim over a region the size of another kingdom.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Gully Foyle posted:

Eh, the Two Rivers itself isn't big, it really is a small part of Andor. It was itself just a tiny part of Manetheren, but it was the central part right next to the capital.

The Two Rivers is bigger than Shienar.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

ChubbyChecker posted:

other nitpicks

moiraine was supposed to be a cairhienin hobbit, not a hulking almost six footer

That's Lan. Moiraine is the one in the blue dress.

As for the accents: it's the same as the racial mix. The Two Rivers is in a location where groups driven out from any of half a dozen nations could wind up, and probably did.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

MajorBonnet posted:

Fingers crossed for Darrell K. Sweet cover t-shirts.

They'd have to be T-shirts, he could never do full length arms.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Goofballs posted:

Wasn't it a thing in the books that only the reds know that they have been going out and gentling men without doing a trial and what not. And that's a huge secret because a its vigilante poo poo and b some of it is black ajah instigated. And then Moiraine just watches it happen in the first scene. So I guess people are fine with that in this version.

Yes, it's known as the Vileness among Aes Sedai (who aren't Red, anyway). Men who can channel don't exactly get a trial as such, but it is custom to return them to the Tower before they're severed because the sisters there can maybe help them cope with it a bit better. False Dragons are also kept captive in the Tower as they might still become a rallying point for their followers and even if they didn't they'd probably be killed in vengeance if they were let free.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

buffalo all day posted:

thought experiment, what are the 5 moments ppl want to see most (w book number if you know$

In no particular order:

The cleansing
The pillars of Rhuidean
Mat and the Eelfinn
Rand vs Samael
The Darkfriend Social

Bonus line that they'd better not leave out: "Is there any way to make sure she knows it's me?"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

It seems to be doing well for a fantasy adaptation but it's getting review bombed a bit, partly by people who just don't like fantasy, partly by people who feel it's too "woke", partly by people who find it somewhat slow and oddly edited (a legit critique of the first book).

Rottentomatoes has it at the exact same critics score that Witcher season 1 got, and 83% audience vs 91% audience for ws1.

WOT has already been confirmed renewed for a.sexond season and there are rumors of a s3 renewal but that isn't confirmed.

S3 renewal was confirmed last week, wasn't it?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Pleads posted:

There was one who is mentioned as having whispers about her having married all of her multiple warders.

And it's Alanna. She also fucks Lan back to life after Moiraine disappears into the Finn gate with Lanfear and his bond passes to her, which is why Nynaeve wants her to know who he's loving on their wedding night.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I may be succumbing to the madness. I should really dig out the books for a reread, it's been a long time.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

My mother just suggested Dawn French for Verin Mathwin. I have to admit, that would be a pretty pro casting.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Outside Tar Valon similarly the Aes Sedai yell at Egwene for using violence against the WC's because the Tower's whole strategy is to present themselves as nonconfrontational and nonviolent and blowing up a bunch of whitecloak horses makes that look like a lie. Using hard power against the whitecloaks would damage the Tower's soft power.

Not just that - the Tower claims that Aes Sedai literally can't blow up Whitecloaks unless in mortal danger. By using the One Power as a weapon Egwene gave the WCs massive ammunition to say that the Oaths themselves are a falsehood.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

i don't think gaul was the only stone dog aiel by any stretch, so assuming that's a stone dog figurine i feel like even going that far would be a bit of a reach

I'm presuming that the Aiel in the gibbet is Sarien, who was killed in the fight where Gaul was captured. I'd concur that they're trimming Gaul to keep the cast manageable.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Nov 24, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Rarity posted:

I hope Gaul makes it in cause he's such a bro to Perrin. It could be they're going to introduce him differently and just put the caged Aiel here as an extra nod to the teaders

If you want to do it that way, then have Gaul escape the fight where Sarien is killed instead of being captured and meet Perrin under different circumstances, possibly while wounded. It makes as much sense as capturing him alive - remember that if another Aiel had done that to him he would have been gai'shain.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

mrking posted:

I liked Thom's song, but I don't think it made any sense as a song to sing for a bunch of world weary miners. Should have been a drinking song everybody sang along with, and save the sad Dragon song for after he understands why the boys are mixed up with aes sedai.

It's actually setting up Thom quite well. He's a court bard who genuinely shouldn't be playing taverns. He performs in High Chant at every opportunity, dropping into Low Chant when he has to. If you asked him to do a drinking song he'd tell you to gently caress off and hire a busker.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

th3t00t posted:

Edit: I appreciate how many other people are now on the Chalamet as Galad train

What with Galad being responsible for more health and safety breaches in the White Tower's cucumber store than any man in its history and the novices only not being punished more harshly for it because half the sisters didn't want the other half saying "as if you wouldn't", you've got to find someone who is more than just a teen heartthrob. It's difficult to think of many "too pretty to be true" men who don't look 12 along with it. You need someone like Brad Pitt in his 20s, maybe.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

When Moraine takes over for Liandrin it's mentioned that he's only using half his strength to push against the shield

A note on this: Logain is pushing with all his strength; Moiraine is only feeling half of it because there are two Aes Sedai maintaining the shield.

On the Tinker Rumspringa: People have been saying that Ila may not be so horrified by Aram taking up the sword because some Tinkers take up arms while on Rumspringa. Leaving aside that it's been blatantly set up for Ila's death to be the reason why he takes the sword instead of his mother's, you need to listen more carefully to what he said. "Some farm, some set sail. Some even take up arms, I hear." So he knows that they become farmers and sailors, but has only heard that they become soldiers. The strong implication is that Tinkers who do become soldiers don't ever return to the wagons. The Tinkers may accept a former assassin who has renounced violence for the Way of the Leaf, but that doesn't mean they would be accepting of someone who renounced the Way for violence.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

My nitpick for this episode is that for now, all the Saidin users show madness on the same, just 'hearing voices'. Not only future Rand, but also Logain and the first guy on Ep 1. I understand the importance of having a precedent for Rand, but it's almost all male channelers have the same type of madness, there should be more variety.

It's not quite the same. Unnamed Dude in episode 1 was full on hallucinating a companion, whereas Logain had what he thought were voices of his past selves formed from saidin whispering in his ear.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Dutch, really? I would not have guessed at that in a million years.

The running joke at Royal Dutch Shell was that you could identify the Dutch employees instantly as they were the ones who spoke English better than the locals and without an accent.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Hollismason posted:

Well the show is pretty much only similar in names to the books. I'm not sure we'll even see Loial or the Ogier at all which would be majorly disappointing.

Loial has been cast and you'll see him this season, I think.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Gully Foyle posted:

It's just one of those cases where the poetic/dramatic effect outweighed the slight danger of lore implications. They could have had Moiraine be the one to say "like the raging sun" instead of Logain and been perfectly fine on the lore/book end. But having Logain mirror Moiraine's previous words works much better from the dramatic end, and it shows that Logain loses faith that he is the Dragon Reborn even before being gentled.

I'm pretty sure Logain wasn't shielded when Nynaeve did her thing, either. He could have gone "nice Healing, biyotch" and then blown them up with Earth. So he didn't just lose faith; he stopped fighting. That's significant.

One thing that does worry me, though, is them casting an older man as Logain. It raises the possibility that they'll combine Logain and Mazrim Taim into one character, which to my mind would be fairly disastrous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Why am I having the overwhelming urge to go into r/whitecloaks and follow up every tearsodden rant about strong female characters with "I win again, Lews Therin"?