Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The swearing is all fantasy swears and the sex is described with fantasy euphemisms instead of contemporary ones so I can see where some readers would be confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Plus it sounds like the priest mentioned confirmation, which isn't the same thing.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Determinism doesn't have much to do with consent in any ethically meaningful sense, one way or the other. A prophecy is a prediction, not an intention.

It is a story about (among many other things) how four people got into a weird polycule. Each of them had their own reasons and their own opinions, none of them was immediately into it, mistakes were made.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Remember not to spoil things for first timers.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I think that it's understandable to come up with a reason to show an actor's face when they are portraying an important character in an important scene.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

With any faithful adaptation of Robert Jordan, folks are gonna have to learn to understand how episodes that aren't about the main characters are still actually about the main characters.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If they changed the story that fundamentally, when would they have had the time to do the extensive rewrites that would require?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

At that point, they're not adapting the source material, but squandering it. And squandering one of the bigger selling points, which is that this isn't gonna pull a Game of Thrones because the ending is already written and known to be really good.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Jordan seemed like he had finally gotten through the mid-series slump in the last book he wrote.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Sanderson stood on the shoulders of a giant.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I find myself wishing this show had longer episodes.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Since things will have to be simplified in the process of adapting these books, it would be convenient for that simplification to include the removal of elements that have few consequences, but require a lot of words to explain not only how they work, and would benefit from at least some acknowledgment of the ethical concerns it raises.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I know where this is all going but I'm interested to see how it's going to get there. The adaptational changes have been pragmatic and I can sense the payoff coming. I feel like the parts of the show that have been less than I hoped for - and there haven't been many of those! - were a consequence not of incompetence, but of production challenges, like an actor's sudden departure or too few episodes, that are likely to be less of a problem as the show is found to be empirically popular.

When's season 2? Oh god, this is going to be waiting for the next book all over again.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Dark One promotes his underlings on the basis of how evil they are. Their incompetence is irrelevant since he doesn't actually need them to do anything for his plan.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Invalid Validation posted:

It’s gonna suck rear end when they rewrite the ending to have Rand super saiyan the DO instead of philosophizing with him for the show.

I don't think that's likely to happen.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I think of it as a comment about what it would take for the fantasy of reforming the cops from within to actually manifest. The book's saying it'd take someone who is described as basically unnervingly, even inhumanly ethical and conscientious, so that they have enough fortitude to keep at it for their whole career, plus needing enough privilege and cunning to be able to get away with morally-motivated insubordination, enough strength to prevail when he at last faces retaliation by force, enough charisma to persuade the regular cops to submit to his command, and an unprecedented crisis to give him the opportunities to push his reforms; and even then they'd only manage to come through at the eleventh hour.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I think that the sad warder episode was good irrespective of what it sets up.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Invalid Validation posted:

What’s supposed to be on that Madlands island?

That's where Mad Max takes place.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

He just wants to make people sign up.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Twelve letters, and Liandrin didn't mention Mat when reading them one time.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

That character's name wasn't spoken anyway.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The simple fact is that corny poo poo is awesome when portrayed with conviction.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I think you should try to avoid getting hung up on details like that.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I really wanted Rings of Power to be good, but they just didn't put the ingredients together into an interesting story.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If I got stabbed with a magic evil dagger I'd simply recover from the wound. Sorry to hear about your instant death but I'm different

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I think that it would be appropriate for an adaptation into a visual museum to increase the emphasis that is placed on cool looking objects.