Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Wheel of Time has one over ASOIAF in that it had an actual conclusion. The unplanned nature of that series hit a wall after book 3, with books 4+5 forming a meandering story with no climax or payoff. Even after finishing Book 1 I was concerned with how they could reconcile the low-fantasy political-intrigue with the high-fantasy dragons and ice & zombies. Given the reception to the TV show's ending the answer is probably not very well. WOT at least doesn't suffer under the expectation of subverting convention. There WILL be a final battle at the end of the road so in the meantime we must complete all the sidequests and loyalty missions to chance a better outcome.

The longest loving story ever finished in 23 years and yet ASOIAF is still fobbing readers off with side-material instead of progress in an even longer time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Is it a common consensus that books 8 to 10 could have been one volume, and every volume could be 300 pages shorter?

A lot of characters will be cut or combined, though I hope that rapist Eamon Valda stays because he's got the same first name as me.